MTN FRESNO .... DERUYTER ... TEDFORD
MTN NEVADA .... POLIAN ..... <vacant>
MTN SAN JOSE .. CARAGHER ... <vacant>
SUN GA ST ..... MILES ..._.. <vacant>

Big names still sitting out there: Fleck, Kiffin, Miles
Names that could get recycled: Strong, Tuberville

Reaction Score
Sam Khan Jr. ‏@skhanjr 6m 6 minutes ago
I'm told at least 4 have interviewed (Kiffin, Miles, Orlando, Applewhite). Hire likely to be made by week's end

"Houston interviewed at least four candidates for its head coaching vacancy, sources told ESPN.com: Alabama OC Lane Kiffin, former LSU coach Les Miles, Houston OC Major Applewhite and Houston DC Todd Orlando have all interviewed. Houston expects to make a hire by week's end, according to sources."

Reaction Score
If Temple winds up with Joe Moorhead you'll find me in Mirror Lake
Your and me both...in December before it freezes with ducks and geese sheeting on me. and maybe some smart freak of a student finding a mutant piranha alligator that could survive cold Temps eating my nuts.

Reaction Score
I could see Cinci taking a run at Moorhead. He's an Ohio guy, successful head coach and O.C. at a major program.

And if I am Temple I pick up the phone and call Bobby Wilder at Old Dominion.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Sam Khan Jr. ‏@skhanjr 6m 6 minutes ago
I'm told at least 4 have interviewed (Kiffin, Miles, Orlando, Applewhite). Hire likely to be made by week's end

"Houston interviewed at least four candidates for its head coaching vacancy, sources told ESPN.com: Alabama OC Lane Kiffin, former LSU coach Les Miles, Houston OC Major Applewhite and Houston DC Todd Orlando have all interviewed. Houston expects to make a hire by week's end, according to sources."

If Houston gets to pick out of those 4...that a a pretty good group to pick from. If I were them, I would figure out if I want to be the stepping stone job for another coach. Let's face it....3 of those 4 aren't staying beyond 3 years if they do well. Kiffin may leave after 1 year. The only one who would probably stay is Miles because of his age.

Reaction Score
If Houston gets to pick out of those 4...that a a pretty good group to pick from. If I were them, I would figure out if I want to be the stepping stone job for another coach. Let's face it....3 of those 4 aren't staying beyond 3 years if they do well. Kiffin may leave after 1 year. The only one who would probably stay is Miles because of his age.

Agreed. Rumors are they (Houston) are looking for a huge buyout for Kiffin.

Also seeing Lincoln Riley's name being thrown around as being interviewed.

Reaction Score
I could see Cinci taking a run at Moorhead. He's an Ohio guy, successful head coach and O.C. at a major program.

And if I am Temple I pick up the phone and call Bobby Wilder at Old Dominion.
I like Bobby Wilder a bunch too... but now the ODU is in a Mid Major (G5 as well) it wouldn't make as much sense for him to move than Moorhead....

Reaction Score
?Joe Moorhead is a Western PA (Pittsburgh) guy.
Western PA guy (Pittsburgh) with 5 years at Akron + Penn State OC (1 year) + a couple Pitt GA years = experience in 2 darn good recruiting grounds + tentacles in Jersey and DelMarVa. Not shabby!

Reaction Score
I think Cincy is a great job. Good recruiting territory and they pay well. I'd take that and the AAC over a difficult P5 job.

Reaction Score
I think Cincy is a great job. Good recruiting territory and they pay well. I'd take that and the AAC over a difficult P5 job.
Well said! If you can win in the AAC as guys like Herman and Rhule have shown it is easy to get a top P-5 job and step up to serious $$.

Reaction Score
Dan Dakich ‏@dandakich 18m18 minutes ago
Breaking ..things have broken down between UC and Fleck..next UC coach from OSU ..Coombs or Finkel

Well, the guy called/guessed Brohm as "done-ish" to Purdue before it was a done deal...

Anyone can leak a list of sexy names I guess. So they've gone from Brohm, Fleck and Strong to the DC or CB/ST coach from OSU if the guy is on track.

Reaction Score
Lot of internet smoke about Taggart to Oregon... nothing confirmed. Harsin is a close second.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Taggart gone to Oregon according to McMurphy. How did we pick the only dud for AAC?

From an outsiders perspective...I would have taken Kiffin over Taggart if I was Oregon. Kiffin knows the west coast....and has that brashness that fits their brand. I would have constructed it to make it difficult for him to leave..but lots of clauses so you could boot him if he becomes an idiot again. Taggart has no name recognition...Kiffin would make Oregon interesting again...and he can get strong coordinators. It doesn't hurt that he has apprenticed with Saban the last couple years.

I am not completely sold on Taggart. He has a lot of good players there....including a very good QB...and we all know how important a good QB is. But...if Kiffin is interested in USF, that would be a great hire for them.

USF....SMU...UCF....Houston...and Cincy to a certain extent have a huge advantage over UConn in attracting a head coach. All of them have great recruiting areas which give them a chance for quick success and a quick exit. UConn....BC....Cuse...all have it tougher. I couldn't imagine Kiffin going to those 3...but I could the other 5.

Reaction Score
Herman to Texas seems a great fit. Brohm to Purdue seems a good fit. Rhule to Baylor and Taggart to Oregon do not seem to be good fits.

Reaction Score
If Taggart to Oregon is true the AAC is proving to be the jumping point for big P-5 jobs. Get a HC job here and win...even better build a program and win..you will get PAID!!!!! For a guy who has the ambition to be the HC of a big P-5 program...taking a job in the AAC must now be on his radar. I mean let's be honest...if Diaco had done the job that his resume spoke of when he was hired (Asst HC/DC of a top 25 program in 2013, the Broyles Award winner and Asst HC/DC in 2012 of a top 5 team that played for the National Championship); and had this team at 8-9 wins this year fighting for a spot in the AAC Championship game ; the probability UConn would be looking for a new coach right now is VERY high.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Herman to Texas seems a great fit. Brohm to Purdue seems a good fit. Rhule to Baylor and Taggart to Oregon do not seem to be good fits.

I agree. Rhule and Taggart are both very good coaches...I just don't get the fit at these schools. Especially Rhule...that school is in a bad place right now and I think if he was patient, he would be a better fit in the B1G. I guess he worried that his team next year wasnt as strong and his reputation would take a hit.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
From an outsiders perspective...I would have taken Kiffin over Taggart if I was Oregon. Kiffin knows the west coast....and has that brashness that fits their brand. I would have constructed it to make it difficult for him to leave..but lots of clauses so you could boot him if he becomes an idiot again. Taggart has no name recognition...Kiffin would make Oregon interesting again...and he can get strong coordinators. It doesn't hurt that he has apprenticed with Saban the last couple years.

I am not completely sold on Taggart. He has a lot of good players there....including a very good QB...and we all know how important a good QB is. But...if Kiffin is interested in USF, that would be a great hire for them.

USF....SMU...UCF....Houston...and Cincy to a certain extent have a huge advantage over UConn in attracting a head coach. All of them have great recruiting areas which give them a chance for quick success and a quick exit. UConn....BC....Cuse...all have it tougher. I couldn't imagine Kiffin going to those 3...but I could the other 5.

Kiffin to USF becomes a bigger monster than Herman at Houston, O'Leary at UCF or Petrino at UL when 'ville was still in AAC.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If Taggart to Oregon is true the AAC is proving to be the jumping point for big P-5 jobs. Get a HC job here and win...even better build a program and win..you will get PAID!!!!! For a guy who has the ambition to be the HC of a big P-5 program...taking a job in the AAC must now be on his radar. I mean let's be honest...if Diaco had done the job that his resume spoke of when he was hired (Asst HC/DC of a top 25 program in 2013, the Broyles Award winner and Asst HC/DC in 2012 of a top 5 team that played for the National Championship); and had this team at 8-9 wins this year fighting for a spot in the AAC Championship game ; the probability UConn would be looking for a new coach right now is VERY high.

As long as we're discussing how the punch tastes with a turd floating around in it.......

The biggest thing the AAC needed to do was separate itself from the Mountain West, MAC or C-USA as the premier G5 conference. That has been accomplished. Granted WMU got the G5 bowl, but there were 4-5 AAC teams in the Top 25 or receiving votes during this season. The depth of the AAC is much higher and the perception of the coaching is showing based off of AAC coaches being poached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom