2015 Recruiting - MidSept Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2015 Recruiting - MidSept Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Sam Fuehring is also considering Rutgers, Seton Hall, Cal, & Dayton in addition to those you listed. She has taken official visits to Cal, SC, & L'ville.

She has only released her Top 7, and hasn't cut any schools to my knowledge.

I'm hoping CVS is pulling out all the stops to keep her in-state.

Reaction Score
lol. Yeah, I know I'm going to hear about that.
It's a point system.
Louisville's players are 994,840,702,637
UConn's are 997,962,899

A school's point total is 60% the sum + 40% the average of the players.

It used to be 100% sum, so this is an attempt to better reward smaller, high-quality classes.

I may need to reconsider this for future years. But it's a difficult balancing act.
VG, virtually the same question I raised last month. Good luck finding the perfect system.

Reaction Score
Still, the weighting is a tricky business. Requires an ongoing heuristic approach.
Bounded rationality in judging recruiting for WCBB...I see a PhD thesis in the offing...

Reaction Score
The correct algorithm for determining the ranking is simple. All it will take is the analysis of many years of data and a super computer to process it. I'd expect an answer by stardate 230000.00 (June 28, 2152 8:52 PM).

The other option is to mostly accept Vowelguy's method with occasional questioning. I'm sure he will be amenable, as the vowels are AEIOU and sometimes "why?"
I'd be inclined to agree with you...heuristic methods are not a search for absolute truth, they are a way of arriving at serviceable answers...tweaks that reverse the order of two recruiting classes just demonstrate the sensitivity of heuristic solutions to the approximations agreed upon. Heuristically, Louisville and UCONN both have outstanding classes...VG's methodology is very sound...

Reaction Score
It's a point system.
UConn's are 997,962,899

It used to be 100% sum, so this is an attempt to better reward smaller, high-quality classes.

I may need to reconsider this for future years. But it's a difficult balancing act.

Maybe the issue is that, if I read you correctly, your analysis implies a linear progression in the value of players. We know, given that we're looking at the tail of a bell curve (as well as empirically), that the average distance in value between the #1 and #2 players is far greater than between the #100 and #101 players. Taking the average into account addresses the problem that each player in a class has diminishing returns (I might even have cut-off that doesn't consider the 5th or worse player in a team's recruiting class), but it doesn't address the fact that the relationship between a player's value and her rank is exponential, not linear.

Of course, deciding what that exponent should be is the point where this goes from educated guesswork to throwing darts at the board, so I'm not sure whether this has any practical application.

Anyways, thanks for your continual work in providing these rankings to us.

Reaction Score
Maybe the issue is that, if I read you correctly, your analysis implies a linear progression in the value of players.

No definitely not!

Roughly the way it works for each rating service:
(401-rank)^(3.5)
These are then summed across the 5 services, and the total is normalized so that a #1 across all the board would earn 1000.

For example,
#1 = 1000, #2 = 991.
#100 = 347, #101 = 343.

Reaction Score
No definitely not!

Roughly the way it works for each rating service:
(401-rank)^(3.5)
These are then summed across the 5 services, and the total is normalized so that a #1 across all the board would earn 1000.

For example,
#1 = 1000, #2 = 991.
#100 = 347, #101 = 343.

With Duke signing Angela Salvadores, I suspect that will push them into 2nd. Correct ?
The problem being how do you rate a player who only one service has evaluated.

Reaction Score
With Duke signing Angela Salvadores, I suspect that will push them into 2nd. Correct ?
The problem being how do you rate a player who only one service has evaluated.

Yes and yes.
Though she's been rated by two: #5 by ESPN, #22 by ASGR.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Yeah, but there has to be a word you could have used so I wouldn't have to look it up. I bet most posters here couldn't give you the definition of that word.

yeah, but I for one like finding words I don't know when I am reading, and looking them up to find out their meaning. My books at home are marked up with these words, and their definitions are in the margins.

Reaction Score
yeah, but I for one like finding words I don't know when I am reading, and looking them up to find out their meaning. My books at home are marked up with these words, and their definitions are in the margins.
That's the way I was taught as a boy...write the words on the back fly leaf and add the definitions when you look them up.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
You're like Ione Skye's character in Say Anything. She marked every word she looked up in her dictionary. I tried to find a youtube link of the scene, but was unsuccessful. :(

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Yes and yes.
Though she's been rated by two: #5 by ESPN, #22 by ASGR.

Actually, four

#60 - Blue Star
#5 - Dan Olson Collegiate Girls Basketball Report

Technically, however, Dan Olson did the rankings for ESPN/Hoopgurlz.

Last edited:

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Aliyah Mazyck '15 NC has committed to Southern Cal

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Agreed. That was the point of my second sentence.

Still, the weighting is a tricky business. Requires an ongoing heuristic approach.
Oh, heuristic. I thought you said hubristic. Nevermind....

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Ijeoma Odimgbe '15 GA has committed to Oklahoma. #74 on Prospectsnation #13 Post Player

Reaction Score
If you do a pure average, then the best possible class would be the #1 player alone.
But surely that's not better than a class with the #2, #3, #4, and #5 players.
I agree however as a Storm fan I would rather have KML then 2-5. I think the drop off is that big.

Reaction Score
Ijeoma Odimgbe '15 GA has committed to Oklahoma. #74 on Prospectsnation #13 Post Player

Sooners finally get on the board.
Not in top 100 consensus.

Reaction Score
Having the top class is great but filling the needs for the team are the most important. UConn did that with this class. Yes UConn could use more top players but with who is on UConns roster and who has verballed UConn is in a great position.
Geno--Love's top players, but he loves TEAM players more. Geno had done wonders making not so top players into All Americans. It took me a long time to believe in Geno, even with all the NC's, however, one cannot go against the record.

Reaction Score
I agree however as a Storm fan I would rather have KML then 2-5. I think the drop off is that big.
Love your name--it combines two of Uconn's best. Sue Bird and Svetlana Abrasamova (?)---Svet before DT and Griner, played like a guy--she and Shea apparently were good buddies. I was sorry she "retired" but kids grow quickly into ALMOST middle aged women.

Reaction Score
Hey! Cal is still in the running for Sam Fuehring, too! She took an official to Berkeley last weekend. ;-P

*I'm a Cal fan so I gotta insert them in any WCBB convo when I can, even though TBH I have a feeling Sam Fuehring ends up at L'Ville with Durr :-(

p.s. thanks for your posts!
It would be good if you named The OFFICIAL--I see another VIOLATION coming here.

Reaction Score
Love your name--it combines two of Uconn's best. Sue Bird and Svetlana Abrasamova (?)---Svet before DT and Griner, played like a guy--she and Shea apparently were good buddies. I was sorry she "retired" but kids grow quickly into ALMOST middle aged women.
Yep my two favorites! I didn't get to see them at UConn but on Seattle. I loved them and they made me a fan. Svet is so sweet. she responds to my (and other fans) tweets a lot.

Reaction Score
Geno--Love's top players, but he loves TEAM players more. Geno had done wonders making not so top players into All Americans. It took me a long time to believe in Geno, even with all the NC's, however, one cannot go against the record.

My observation is that Geno recruits very good athletes, shooters but most importantly good and willing passers.

Reaction Score
It's a point system.
UConn's are 997,962,899

and you missed this one... ;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul