2014 Recruiting Thread | Page 52 | The Boneyard

2014 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
HS Coach's quote within:

“@desmondconner: Timber Creek Coach On Recruit Bradford Not Signing With UConn Wednesday http://Post original url/LLLs4j”
Well, not the best way to start off with that coach, but hopefully he can see Diaco's side of it. We aren't really in a position to wait until year-end right now. We need to get as many solid recruits as we can in the house ASAP.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Well, not the best way to start off with that coach, but hopefully he can see Diaco's side of it. We aren't really in a position to wait until year-end right now. We need to get as many solid recruits as we can in the house ASAP.

I don't think this can be put 100% on Coach Diaco. He has no hand in, "[digging Bradford] a hole during his first year and a half." The kid's not going to qualify on time, and while he may be on pace, there is no guarantee. Coach Diaco is has to fill out his first football team as best he can. He needs guarantees. I think it's a hard conversation to have, but I also think Coach Diaco knows enough to be tactful and not hurt any relationships with Timber Creek.

Reaction Score
Relationships are a 2-way street and the TC HC is certainly indicating we may be up against it in near term. EVERYONE knew Bradford was an academic issue; it has been well talked about, even on this board. Waiting until the 12th hour (which we have done to 2 kids) can leave a bad taste with folks. I think HCBD will have some smoothing to do in the coming months with this particular coach (that is, if he wants access to the 4-5 D1 kids at TC their coach ever so subtly mentioned).

Husky25

Reaction Score
Relationships are a 2-way street and the TC HC is certainly indicating we may be up against it in near term. EVERYONE knew Bradford was an academic issue; it has been well talked about, even on this board. Waiting until the 12th hour (which we have done to 2 kids) can leave a bad taste with folks. I think HCBD will have some smoothing to do in the coming months with this particular coach (that is, if he wants access to the 4-5 D1 kids at TC their coach ever so subtly mentioned).
I disagree. I may be reading a bit into his carefully crafted public remarks, but the Timber Creek coach did not let Bradford off the hook for failing to stay qualified his first couple years. This is a better outcome than keeping the scholarship open and the kid never qualifying.

Related, are any walk-ons deserving of getting a free year of Public Ivy Education?

Reaction Score
High school coaches never take any blame for their kids not qualifying. It's everybody's fault but theirs. I've never once heard a coach say they should have paid more attention and maybe held a kid out until his grades got better. Not once.

Reaction Score
High school coaches never take any blame for their kids not qualifying. It's everybody's fault but theirs. I've never once heard a coach say they should have paid more attention and maybe held a kid out until his grades got better. Not once.

or the players!

While I agree with your premise, it should be noted this kid changed HS and his issues emanated from a prior school, not TC.

Husky25

Reaction Score

or the players!

While I agree with your premise, it should be noted this kid changed HS and his issues emanated from a prior school, not TC.

If what Gioff says is true, Hinson has no say in the blame game. He can blame the player, he can blame the new coach who had no involvement with his original recruiting (and who explicitly stated that all commitments would be honored, given eligibility). He can blame Bear Bryant for his own short comings; it doesn't matter. Blame will be conveyed based on who comes calling for his future 4-5 FBS players (which is merely a shameless plug in it's own right).

Reaction Score
It may well be that the hope all around (including Coach P's staff) was that Bradford's first semester grades would get him above the target threshold. It sounds like they were better, but as of year 3 1/2 of his high school career they are not good enough. Of course, the coach and player expect that he will get it done in his last semester, but Diaco decided not to wait. If that is the way it played out, I'd expect the coach to be disappointed, but to suck it up and recognize that it was ultimately in the hands of the player and if he was coaching at UConn he'd probably do the same thing.

Then again he might be a vindictive guy and think "they should have waited for my guy regardless." If so, there are a lot of other high schools churning out talent in UConn's recruiting area.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Then again he might be a vindictive guy and think "they should have waited for my guy regardless." If so, there are a lot of other high schools churning out talent in UConn's recruiting area.

*Cough* Lou Marinelli *Cough*

"...I am still upset about how they treated Paul (Pasqualoni) and George (DeLeone). I don't care what they do. I am sorry to say that. It is a great institution but what they did to those two, two of the finest men that I know, I have nothing to say."

Reaction Score
It may well be that the hope all around (including Coach P's staff) was that Bradford's first semester grades would get him above the target threshold. It sounds like they were better, but as of year 3 1/2 of his high school career they are not good enough. Of course, the coach and player expect that he will get it done in his last semester, but Diaco decided not to wait. If that is the way it played out, I'd expect the coach to be disappointed, but to suck it up and recognize that it was ultimately in the hands of the player and if he was coaching at UConn he'd probably do the same thing.

The suggestion is that the former regime would have waited; even sent him to MILFord, if needed. HCBD seems to have little appetite for guys who struggle to get thru HS - I get the sense he wants guys he knows will be on the field all the time and not struggling w/academics. Not yet, anyway!

Reaction Score
Good dialect guys, but time to get back to recruiting... potentially 3 spots remain... Hopefully we get a surprise or 2 (or 3) like last year ( K. Taylor commit in '13)

Reaction Score
Good dialect guys, but time to get back to recruiting... potentially 3 spots remain... Hopefully we get a surprise or 2 (or 3) like last year ( K. Taylor commit in '13)
Only if those surprises are flips from other schools. I would rather save the schollies for next year than bring in someone who only has offers from FCS schools. There aren't too many kids out there who are mid-high FBS talent that are still totally open.

Reaction Score
Did the first fax come in yet? I feel like a little kid on christmas eve! Come one National Signing Day! We had a couple surprises over the past couple years. Names we hadn't heard of previous, Stephens, Levy, Taylor etc. Hoping for maybe a couple more.

Reaction Score
Who @King_Yeezy or something like that Luke Carrezola is recruiting him hard over twitter. Coaxing him to join the Uconn Family!

Husky25

Reaction Score
I assume it means that e-mails will be accepted as official, but UConn has announced they will accept .pdf format NLIs tomorrow due to impending Nor'easter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom