2014 Recruiting Thread | Page 37 | The Boneyard

2014 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Diaco and his staff's comments regarding looking at in-state prospects first is meant for when there is a normal recruiting cycle. With this year's signing date only three weeks away, all bets are off this time around. My thought is that those comments pertain to the opportunity to build relationships with both local coaches and local players. That takes time...which is obviously in short supply for now. So in the next three weeks, I would expect him to go where he has the best shot...or the possibility of landing the biggest fish.

Reaction Score
In Addition To Njoku, Coach Diaco Is Meeting With JuliusWingate From Englewood, NJ Reportedly Could NotFind Any YouTube Highlights Other Than A,Brief Interview. Sorry About The Caps Browser Problems Again.

Reaction Score
In Addition To Njoku, Coach Diaco Is Meeting With JuliusWingate From Englewood, NJ Reportedly Could NotFind Any YouTube Highlights Other Than A,Brief Interview. Sorry About The Caps Browser Problems Again.

JuJu Wingate - 3* 6-4 185lb (or 6-3 170lb depending) WR/CB. (Committed to StonyBrook and offer from ODU).

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1524594/juju-wingate

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hope We Offer And Land Him. TalL, Rangy, Wr, HighPoints The Ball Catches With His Hands. Willing And Physical Blocker. Good Hitter On Defense.

Reaction Score
Nice player - looks like D1 to me. Did he gray shirt or take the year off because HUDL's senior year video highlights are dated June 2013.

I think it's a typo - there is a film farther down in Wingate's Hudl from November 2013.

From ESPN:

>>Productive on both sides of the ball in high school. When aligned at depth in the defensive secondary, can fill the running lanes taking direct angles to the ball carrier. Can wrap up on contact but lacks an explosive drive to get the ball carrier down on initial contact. Is instinctive in both run and pass situations. Is quick to track RBs or TEs out of the backfield. Has the size but will need to improve his strength to not get pushed around when aligned in man coverage vs. bigger TEs. His length is an asset to roam the deep third with the ability to show enough range to cover a good chunk of ground. Displays a short area burst to blanket his underneath zone. A very willing blocker when positioned at wide receiver. Shoots hands and can gain leverage on DB to run feet and get defender out of running lane. Mostly aligns as an outside threat but does show the ability to move inside to a slot alignment to work the middle of the field.

Wingate displays the athletic ability to be productive as a two-way player. Has solid attributes at both the wide receiver and safety position. We question his quickness to create separation as a college wideout or mirror quicker, faster slot receivers at DB. His ball skills will warrant a look at receiver but with added size and bulk could land on the defensive side of the ball. May be a hybrid safety with underneath zone coverage ability at the next level. Is an FBS prospect who will need time to develop and improve his technique but has the tools to work with.<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
5'9" CBs better be stronger, faster and able to jump higher - it's tough playing on an island when you are 4-6" shorter than the guy you are guarding. It's hard to find a Jazz.

Reaction Score
Any news on where Harold Cooper might end up? Would really love it if UCONN would give him a look either on offense or defense. He would bring a ton of speed to the team.

Coop is taking his first official visit to University of Rhode Island tomorrow.

Reaction Score
UConn just offered LB James Prather from Tennessee:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/connecticut/football/recruiting/player-James-Prather-144669

Looks like Diaco is being proactive in getting the linebacker situation set up (for the 3-4, presumably). Foley is in charge of recruiting him...well, because there's nobody left! ;) Prather is holding offers from Navy, Northern Illinois, Memphis, and a couple of 1-AA's...

Sounds like Prather will be joining Rodrick and Carrezola on a visit next weekend.

Guess Pather is not coming this weekend:

Tupel:confused:G3:48pm via Twitter for iPhone
I'm incredibly thankful to everyone who has helped me in this recruiting process

Tupel:confused:G3:48pm via Twitter for iPhone
But I'm ending my recruitment by committing to Northwestern University.

Reaction Score
I truly hope we can get a kid in this class that has the 'special' ability as a punt/kick returner. Currently, IMO, we don't have one.... we need a Larry Taylor/Nick Williams type returner on this team to make our special teams more special.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
I truly hope we can get a kid in this class that has the 'special' ability as a punt/kick returner. Currently, IMO, we don't have one.... we need a Larry Taylor/Nick Williams type returner on this team to make our special teams more special.
Arkeel Newsome, i don't think J. williams is coming back

Reaction Score
Harold Cooper would be perfect in that role, but i think Newsome will get a shot if we don't give Cooper a look.

Reaction Score
Dez announced they are bringing up a RB from FL (Ron Johnson) to visit this w/e. does not bode well for Cooper as no way we are bringing in 4 RBs

Reaction Score
Dez announced they are bringing up a RB from FL (Ron Johnson) to visit this w/e. does not bode well for Cooper as no way we are bringing in 4 RBs

desmondconner6:02pm via Twitter for iPhone
Ron Johnson, a 5-11, 212-pound running back from Naples, Fla., Palmetto Ridge High, set to visit #UConnFootball this weekend

Offers from Louisville, GT, Ball State and Marshall.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/661341/highlights/66573376

Edit add: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/661341/highlights/98442376 (sr year)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020