2014 Recruiting Thread | Page 36 | The Boneyard

2014 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any news on where Harold Cooper might end up? Would really love it if UCONN would give him a look either on offense or defense. He would bring a ton of speed to the team.

Reaction Score
Any news on where Harold Cooper might end up? Would really love it if UCONN would give him a look either on offense or defense. He would bring a ton of speed to the team.
I would love to see him come in as a KR/PR. He can absolutely fly. I could also see him as a change of pace in the backfield. He's built like Maurice Jones-Drew, but faster. I can't see him playing DB on the next level, at 5'6. I have to think if football doesn't pan out, there is a D1 track scholarship out there for him. Maybe he can come in for track and walk-on for football.

Reaction Score
I would love to see him come in as a KR/PR. He can absolutely fly. I could also see him as a change of pace in the backfield. He's built like Maurice Jones-Drew, but faster. I can't see him playing DB on the next level, at 5'6. I have to think if football doesn't pan out, there is a D1 track scholarship out there for him. Maybe he can come in for track and walk-on for football.

I really really like him at RB. He is not just speed, great vision. Reminds me of Darren Sproles a lot. Small, fast back who runs between the tackles. But I also can see him contributing as a slot corner. We desperately need to improve the talent at RB, and just bringing in Arkeel Newsome is not enough.

Reaction Score
Ryan Hovan Highlights (6'5, 232, OL/DL, Ansonia)

Missed his Jr year with a broken leg.

Named 1st Team All-State as a Sr. Helped pave the way for the nation's leading rusher, Arkeel Newsome. Good frame, moves very well, very good student, great motor. Very under the radar, but IMO has D1 potential. I like him as a DE or OG at the next level. Needs to add size to his frame. He could be a nice late addition to this class, possibly a preferred walk-on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ryan Hovan Highlights (6'5, 232, OL/DL, Ansonia)

Missed his Jr year with a broken leg.

Named 1st Team All-State as a Sr. Helped pave the way for the nation's leading rusher, Arkeel Newsome. Good frame, moves very well, very good student, great motor. Very under the radar, but IMO has D1 potential. I like him as a DE or OG at the next level. Needs to add size to his frame. He could be a nice late addition to this class, possibly a preferred walk-on.
Thought he was a junior. Definitely looks like a kid that can develop over time.

Reaction Score
Amazing. No leaks, no word about offers. Not even one name.

that's the one thing about our football program (since joining the FBS ranks with Edsall) that still hasn't changed. We get crumbs on this board and talk up those crumbs til there's nothing left.. Hopefully this changes soon... But then again, the 1/16/14 is where the fun should begin ( dead period officially over on that day )...

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Doesn't mean anything. Just that he is going to check in and see if he can get Uconn back into the mix. The kid already declared a Top 3/4. But let's see what happens. Don't get your hopes up folks.

Reaction Score

I agree, at 5'6 he would struggle as a DB in the next level, but I can definitely see him as a KR/PR or RB at the next level. Uconn can absolutely use his speed a vision like huskysupporter said.

Reaction Score
What I don't understand is why Uconn didn't offer Ervin Phillips. This kid is 5'11 180 lbs with speed, explosiveness, elusiveness, hands, and vision. Yes, we have Newsome and McAlister at RB, but Ervin Phillips will fit perfectly as a slot receiver. We have no receivers in this class so far, it just would have made sense to offer him. Phillips was hoping for a Uconn offer too, so I don't get it. Instead Syracuse comes along and snatches him up.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
What I don't understand is why Uconn didn't offer Ervin Phillips. This kid is 5'11 180 lbs with speed, explosiveness, elusiveness, hands, and vision. Yes, we have Newsome and McAlister at RB, but Ervin Phillips will fit perfectly as a slot receiver. We have no receivers in this class so far, it just would have made sense to offer him. Phillips was hoping for a Uconn offer too, so I don't get it. Instead Syracuse comes along and snatches him up.

Some players verbally decommitted from UConn do to the Coaching change (Personally I would think they would all see the writing on the wall and welcome it, but I'm merely a pre-middle aged amateur Titan of the Keyboard). As far as I know an incoming freshman can do the same elsewhere until the first week of February. Presumably, Coach Diaco has a few targets in mind. Perhaps Ervin Phillips is one of them.

Reaction Score
Some players verbally decommitted from UConn do to the Coaching change (Personally I would think they would all see the writing on the wall and welcome it, but I'm merely a pre-middle aged amateur Titan of the Keyboard). As far as I know an incoming freshman can do the same elsewhere until the first week of February. Presumably, Coach Diaco has a few targets in mind. Perhaps Ervin Phillips is one of them.

Your right the coaching staff did say they're going to evaluate the state of CT before branching out of the state for recruits. I hope Ervin gets a call from the staff.

Reaction Score
Doesn't mean anything. Just that he is going to check in and see if he can get Uconn back into the mix. The kid already declared a Top 3/4. But let's see what happens. Don't get your hopes up folks.
When i brought up Njoku, it wasnt to get any ones hopes up. It was simply an observation thatDiaco attended the same hs, and you KNEW we would kick the tires to see if there was a fit there.

Reaction Score
Now that hurts. To Syracuse of all places when the kid was in state. I remember talk last year, Phillips, Newsome, Outlow and the other kid from the New Haven area previously discussed on this page. HFD was hyping them all up.

Reaction Score
Your right the coaching staff did say they're going to evaluate the state of CT before branching out of the state for recruits. I hope Ervin gets a call from the staff.

Yet Diaco's first stop is in Njoku? I realize the rest of the staff is recruiting too and it may pay dividends to send the head coach after the bigger fish (based on stars and rankings). I wonder who from the staff is hitting the pavement in CT.

Reaction Score
Yet Diaco's first stop is in Njoku? I realize the rest of the staff is recruiting too and it may pay dividends to send the head coach after the bigger fish (based on stars and rankings). I wonder who from the staff is hitting the pavement in CT.

Yeah, I remember reading something on the courant that Jones wants to evaluate CT for talent before he heads to NY and FL. If he can find pieces in CT then why go to NY and FL is what he also said I think.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I remember reading something on the courant that Jones wants to evaluate CT for talent before he heads to NY and FL. If he can find pieces in CT then why go to NY and FL is what he also said I think.

If you're under the impression better D1 talents lives outside the CT border that would be one reason, but as we have seen there certainly a fair a moment of D1 prospects to be found in the state. We will see how everything shakes out.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
David_Njoku8010:24am via Twitter for iPhone
Uconn head coach Bob Diaco is coming for an in school visit tomorrow

I love it. No past UConn football coach would dare go chasing talent this publicly and after the kids list has been posted. I love his willingness to get after it - I expect to see a few big recruiting wins in the years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom