2014 Preseason Analysis(Player & Team)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
"shaky handle/ball control"
"seven turnovers in the two exhibition games...three of them were charges"
"his ball handling was never great he was a great athlete who got lots of dunks and lay ups on broken plays"
"His 3-pt shot wasn't bad but his form and the time it takes for him to get set for a 3 are problematic"
"every defender is playing him for the drive and its making him easy to defend because they know he is lacking confidence in the jump shot and his dribble is shaky"
"he isn't a very good jump shooter and doesn't have solid point guard skills"

I hate to say it, but these all read like a scouting report of Jerome Dyson.

Hopefully he shows something beyond what he has so far (I don't think anyone believes he's as bad as he's shown in these two games, but there are troubling indications in his play), or at least knows to defer to Boat and others.
Good point because Jerome Dyson was the worst player ever and we'd never want someone like him again.

Reaction Score
Didn't Dyson go his entire career without winning a postseason game? I think he probably takes more heat than he should from some, but why everyone thinks he was the missing link from the '09 team when he never won anything meaningful while healthy is beyond me.

Regarding Purvis, he'll either get it together or his minutes will dwindle significantly. We have a lot of great perimeter players, and somebody (possibly a couple of somebodies) are going to get squeezed out.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Didn't Dyson go his entire career without winning a postseason game? I think he probably takes more heat than he should from some, but why everyone thinks he was the missing link from the '09 team when he never won anything meaningful while healthy is beyond me.

Regarding Purvis, he'll either get it together or his minutes will dwindle significantly. We have a lot of great perimeter players, and somebody (possibly a couple of somebodies) are going to get squeezed out.
Northeastern 2010! NIT. How quickly we forget.
To your main point, blaming Dyson for not winning more postseason games is narrow-minded and I'm sure you know that. He was replaced in the 09 starting lineup with Craig Austrie. We all love Austrie, but that's a big step down.

Reaction Score
Didn't see yesterday's game at all as of yet and ca't wait until it's up (thanks tcf) - can we go on the site and bring it up any time if we have already paid? I will check that.....

Thanks for the evaluations. Going to be an interesting start to the year - Bryant will test them and US. LOL

Reaction Score
Northeastern 2010! NIT. How quickly we forget.
To your main point, blaming Dyson for not winning more postseason games is narrow-minded and I'm sure you know that. He was replaced in the 09 starting lineup with Craig Austrie. We all love Austrie, but that's a big step down.

You're not going to find many people who thought less of Craig Austrie as a basketball player than I did, but Dyson did not have a history of taking over in big games. My point is just that, for all of this hullabaloo about the team being an injury away from a championship in 2009, the injured player in question doesn't have a history that supports such an idea.

Reaction Score
CallMeBruce said:
Didn't Dyson go his entire career without winning a postseason game? I think he probably takes more heat than he should from some, but why everyone thinks he was the missing link from the '09 team when he never won anything meaningful while healthy is beyond me. Regarding Purvis, he'll either get it together or his minutes will dwindle significantly. We have a lot of great perimeter players, and somebody (possibly a couple of somebodies) are going to get squeezed out.

He was a key starter of a team that was 20-1 (or whatever it was) and ranked #1 in the nation - that game at Louisville was a vintage UConn performance. That team looked like a serious NC contender. Not his fault he got hurt and couldn't play in the postseason. Michigan State had a Ricky-type defender who locked down AJ and Kemba came down with the freshman yips. Another guard capable of making a play might have helped.

Also not his fault that he forced OT against San Diego with two FTs with Price done with an ACL, helped give us the lead in OT, and then a guy hit a tough step back over Sticks. That shot doesn't go, and Dyson would have rescued us from a defeat. Just a cold hand from the basketball gods.

Either, way the 0 postseason wins as a sophomore and junior is the product of two knee injuries more than anything else.

Senior year - sure, he gets some blame. Probably the majority of it. It was a poorly constructed team with no perimeter shooting/floor spacing at all, which made it hard for our slashers to find driving lanes, but that team went off the rails. No argument there. Scott Burrell's senior year was a little like that too. And Albie/Saunders. But it isn't like those guys weren't capable of contributing to a postseason win.

Reaction Score
He was a key starter of a team that was 20-1 (or whatever it was) and ranked #1 in the nation - that game at Louisville was a vintage UConn performance. That team looked like a serious NC contender. Not his fault he got hurt and couldn't play in the postseason. Michigan State had a Ricky-type defender who locked down AJ and Kemba came down with the freshman yips. Another guard capable of making a play might have helped.

Also not his fault that he forced OT against San Diego with two FTs with Price done with an ACL, helped give us the lead in OT, and then a guy hit a tough step back over Sticks. That shot doesn't go, and Dyson would have rescued us from a defeat. Just a cold hand from the basketball gods.

Either, way the 0 postseason wins as a sophomore and junior is the product of two knee injuries more than anything else.

Senior year - sure, he gets some blame. Probably the majority of it. It was a poorly constructed team with no perimeter shooting/floor spacing at all, which made it hard for our slashers to find driving lanes, but that team went off the rails. No argument there. Scott Burrell's senior year was a little like that too. And Albie/Saunders. But it isn't like those guys weren't capable of contributing to a postseason win.

I'm not saying that it was Dyson's fault that the team didn't win postseason games in those years. I'm just pointing out a funny anomaly and juxtaposing it with the idea that that injury cost us a title, an idea that I think isn't realistic.

Reaction Score
Given the timing of his injury, pointing out that Dyson had 0 postseason wins is about as meaningful as pointing out that Tyler Olander had 12.

Prior to 2009, how many meaningful games had AJ Price or Jeff Adrien won? The only reason people are so critical of Dyson is because he wasn't great in the alpha dog role as a senior. His role on that 2009 team was perfect for him, and he thrived in it.

Reaction Score
CallMeBruce said:
You're not going to find many people who thought less of Craig Austrie as a basketball player than I did, but Dyson did not have a history of taking over in big games. My point is just that, for all of this hullabaloo about the team being an injury away from a championship in 2009, the injured player in question doesn't have a history that supports such an idea.

You don't have to take over a game to be valuable to a title run. Giffey never took over a tourney game. Boat didn't really either (defensively, perhaps you could say). But they made big shots when called on and were vital to our run. Bazz and Daniels took over different games, but they had a good supporting cast.

Dyson was a great fit on that 2008-09 team. AJ draws attention, teams collapse around our bigs, Dyson finds space to work with. When we went three guards, he could match up with threes and attack weaker defenders. They reached No 1 on the strength of their balance.

Dyson's injury helped Kemba assume a larger role, and that played long-term dividends. Kemba was probably able to use his Missouri performance as a confidence boost in the 2011 tourney (I've done this before...). So it worked out for us in the end - just maybe not for him.

Reaction Score
You don't have to take over a game to be valuable to a title run. Giffey never took over a tourney game. Boat didn't really either (defensively, perhaps you could say). But they made big shots when called on and were vital to our run. Bazz and Daniels took over different games, but they had a good supporting cast.

Dyson was a great fit on that 2008-09 team. AJ draws attention, teams collapse around our bigs, Dyson finds space to work with. When we went three guards, he could match up with threes and attack weaker defenders. They reached No 1 on the strength of their balance.

Dyson's injury helped Kemba assume a larger role, and that played long-term dividends. Kemba was probably able to use his Missouri performance as a confidence boost in the 2011 tourney (I've done this before...). So it worked out for us in the end - just maybe not for him.
That 2008-09 team was a legit title contender. They were 24-1 (20-1 when Dyson went down).

2005-06 didn't do that.
2003-04 didn't.
You have to go back to 1998-99 to see a start like that.

When you remove the 4th best player off that team (and, when playing within himself, a hugely important cog to the team's chemistry), it went from the best, or second best team to a Top 5 team. Dyson could have been the difference in a game against UNC, and with Dyson they clearly have a better chance against Michigan State to get there.

I'm not sure who the 4th best player on 1999 was (Rip, El-Amin, KFree), Jake or Ricky, but the team doesn't win the title without Jake or Ricky.

Reaction Score
Whoa, sorry to open up that can of worms (though I really should have seen a threadjacking coming).

My point was just that Purvis appears to have the same flaws in his game that Dyson did and that, in absence of being able to lead the team himself, he will need to be flanked by strong personalities and talented shooters at the 1 and the 3.

That said, Purvis will likely have the same strengths Dyson did as well in terms of using his athleticism and finishing around the rim on drives or on the fast break.

At least in the early going, it appears like his hot 3-point shooting at NC State was somewhat of a fluke, and the talk of him being a 1-and-done caliber player was overblown. None of that means he can't be a valuable contributor here over the next 2-3 years.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Whoa, sorry to open up that can of worms (though I really should have seen a threadjacking coming).

My point was just that Purvis appears to have the same flaws in his game that Dyson did and that, in absence of being able to lead the team himself, he will need to be flanked by strong personalities and talented shooters at the 1 and the 3.

That said, Purvis will likely have the same strengths Dyson did as well in terms of using his athleticism and finishing around the rim on drives or on the fast break.

At least in the early going, it appears like his hot 3-point shooting at NC State was somewhat of a fluke, and the talk of him being a 1-and-done caliber player was overblown. None of that means he can't be a valuable contributor here over the next 2-3 years.
Not a problem. I have a slightly different take on Jerome.

It wasn't until Dyson was switched from the supporting player at the 2 position to being the player asked to run the point guard position, that his train went off the rails. He was one of the top players for All American candidacy until JC removed Kemba as the team's playmaker (sometime in January I believe). That season was a train wreck because Kemba wasn't ready to run the show as much as Dyson couldn't deliver. Jerome was a better version of what we've seen from SCJ in these two exhibition games until that switch (counting offense, defense and opposing teams). He just couldn't create for himself or for others, but was excellent at getting results when he had a decent playmaker leading the way.

Purvis has a couple of decent playmakers in RB and SCJ. I'd be ecstatic if he could show what JD showed when he played alongside AJP.

Last edited:
H

huskymagic

Not a problem. I have a slightly different take on Jerome.

It wasn't until Dyson was switched from the supporting player at the 2 position to being the player asked to run the point guard position, that his train went off the rails. He was one of the top players for All American candidacy until JC removed Kemba as the team's playmaker (sometime in January I believe). That season was a train wreck because Kemba wasn't ready to run the show as much as Dyson couldn't deliver. Jerome was a better version of what we've seen in these two exhibition games until that switch (counting offense, defense and opposing teams). He just couldn't create for himself or for others, but was excellent at getting results when he had a decent playmaker leading the way.

Purvis has a couple of decent playmakers in RB and SCJ. I'd be ecstatic if he could show what JD showed when he played alongside AJP.

I agree with this post completely if Purvis can be as good as Dyson was I think most of us will be pretty happy along with Kevin Ollie. Dyson actually was very good when there was a playmaker on the court. Dyson also could hit the jumper and penetrate effectively for himself. If Purvis can do what Dyson was able to do while allowing Boat, T-Sam, Hamilton, and Sam Cassell Jr to run the show this team will be in good hands like the 2009 team.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Preseason games mean something unless they don't. I distinctly remember thinking Emeka would be a long-term project after seeing him play for the first time. OTOH, I thought the Russia National team was tanking because UConn couldn't possibly be as good as they played in that epic 1989 contest. Both observations were as wrong as could be. Can you believe that the 25th anniversary of that game is Thursday? Funny thing, if you put "uconn basketball russian national team 1989" in Google, the 1st thing you get is a Boneyard thread on the subject from a few years ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think some of us need to relax about Purvis... It's been two preseason games and he has a lot of hype surrounding him ... he's nervous. When he calms down he'll come around and be one of our top 2 or 3 players. I BELIEVE IN THE FERRARI!
I need a shirt with his face photoshopped into a bright red ferrari with dark shades on and I needed it yesterday

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Constantly amazes me the tiny, yet incredibly significant details you can recall from a season that I forgot about a few minutes after seeing the final score posted when I was at work. I could tell you that Price got injured and we lost for the first time ever in the first round under JC, but I definitely don't remember who we played or that the game went into overtime and how it got to overtime.

You are absolutely the Rain Man of UConn Hoops.

Reaction Score
bonee ole yard is hilarious pile of fossil

he be rusty, nervous, he come around, he tall, he not tall enuf, he small, he ball, he run, he not gun , ha ha

funnee stuf

get real: see & bee twuth: dude simply has limited game, duh

Reaction Score
jleves said:
Constantly amazes me the tiny, yet incredibly significant details you can recall from a season that I forgot about a few minutes after seeing the final score posted when I was at work. I could tell you that Price got injured and we lost for the first time ever in the first round under JC, but I definitely don't remember who we played or that the game went into overtime and how it got to overtime. You are absolutely the Rain Man of UConn Hoops.

Funny thing is, I missed that game. I was following live stats at a random softball field. I just remember waiting to see if Dyson's FTs showed up as makes in regulation when we were down two, and then waiting and waiting to see the clock show 0:00 when we were up 1 in OT - and instead I got SD +2.

The step back over Sticks was part of a larger philosophical point I made at the time. Going with big 6-8 or 6-9 guys at the 3 made it harder for us to defend three guard lineups. Back to back appearances, we had George Mason going at Gay in OT on a key bucket, and San Diego going at Sticks. Gay defended GM and Sticks defended SD about as well as you could hope, but smaller, quicker guards were able to change direction and get separation. So I've remembered that game a little more just for that (we weren't going anywhere without AJP anyway).

I can't tell you much about Iowa State in 2012, which I did see, other than that we got rolled early and Roscoe shot from midcourt with six seconds left in the half to make the same mistake twice. There weren't any other details worth remembering.

Reaction Score
(we weren't going anywhere without AJP anyway).
At UConn, not going anywhere means no Final Fours or titles. But if they pulled out the San Diego matchup, they were playing the 12 seed, and so absolutely could have gotten crushed by Westbrook, Love, and UCLA in the Sweet 16 that year.

Last edited:

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Funny thing is, I missed that game. I was following live stats at a random softball field. I just remember waiting to see if Dyson's FTs showed up as makes in regulation when we were down two, and then waiting and waiting to see the clock show 0:00 when we were up 1 in OT - and instead I got SD +2.

The step back over Sticks was part of a larger philosophical point I made at the time. Going with big 6-8 or 6-9 guys at the 3 made it harder for us to defend three guard lineups. Back to back appearances, we had George Mason going at Gay in OT on a key bucket, and San Diego going at Sticks. Gay defended GM and Sticks defended SD about as well as you could hope, but smaller, quicker guards were able to change direction and get separation. So I've remembered that game a little more just for that (we weren't going anywhere without AJP anyway).

I can't tell you much about Iowa State in 2012, which I did see, other than that we got rolled early and Roscoe shot from midcourt with six seconds left in the half to make the same mistake twice. There weren't any other details worth remembering.
And there you did it again - I could never remember somebody hitting a three over Gay in OT in the GM game. All I can recall is watching Denham putting up the final three pointer and wondering why in hell it wasn't Rashad. If it was a game tieing two, I would have been OK with DB taking it, but a game tieing three has to be off the fingers of RA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom