2014 Huskies -What is the question that you are most curious about? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2014 Huskies -What is the question that you are most curious about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
I disagree with your definition of a fan. I am a Redskins fan. I have never been to FedEx Field (RFK for baseball only). I am a Red Sox fan. I haven't been to a home game since 2009 (3 away games in that time). I am a Bruins fan. The NHL has had 2 work stoppages since I've been to the Boston Garden (with exposed ice). Attendance =/= fandom as much as emotional investment or involvement. Part of being a fan is the ability to be critical. As a fan, you always want your team to succeed. When something is going wrong with a program, a fan calls it out. A fan introduces a topic to a message board or talk radio and the topic goes under debate. A lemming blindly goes along with management (the Athletic Department in this case). An insane person hopes against hope that things turn around, given no action.

There is a difference between being critical of the job a coach does and then there is wishing death, unemployment and other nasty things on people because you are mad your team didn't win. I've said a lot of things about the program that were critical. But I didn't call for the death of Larry McHugh (HFD) or wish that PP never got another job again. That nonsense is just childish.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There is a difference between being critical of the job a coach does and then there is wishing death, unemployment and other nasty things on people because you are mad your team didn't win. I've said a lot of things about the program that were critical. But I didn't call for the death of Larry McHugh (HFD) or wish that PP never got another job again. That nonsense is just childish.

Are you under the Impression that I have?

Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
Are you under the Impression that I have?

No not you. But others have. And the refusal to participate in that doesn't make someone an apologist or soft.

You can disapprove of people or fire them without making it personal. That's what I believe W is trying to say.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I get both sides of this argument; I personally try to lean towards civility, but I know better than to expect or enforce civility as a boneyard standard. It's like walking into a biker bar and screaming "clean up your acts!" The bottom line remains though that there is no aspect of my personal take on fandom that requires me to accept us fielding a program for which mediocrity is an unachievable goal.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I disagree with your definition of a fan. I am a Redskins fan. I have never been to FedEx Field (RFK for baseball only). I am a Red Sox fan. I haven't been to a home game since 2009 (3 away games in that time). I am a Bruins fan. The NHL has had 2 work stoppages since I've been to the Boston Garden (with exposed ice). Attendance =/= fandom as much as emotional investment or involvement.

The flaw in your explanation is that you are comparing apples to oranges. Those are pro teams that make a tonof dough before they sell a ticket. Nevermind the fact that neither team has attendance issues. In D-1 college football, how many fannies in the seats is one way a program is judged. The best fans are the ones that buy tickets from the school and go to games. Period. Doesn't mean you can't be a good fan if you just watch on TV, it just means you aren't one of the best fans.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
You nailed it!

For me, the big uglies are where games are won and lost. Running game feeds off of it. QBs rely on the time in the pocket. And I really do feel like we have at least 2 and arguably 3 QBs who are capable of doing great things if they get the adequate protection. If this unit can get it together, look for great things to happen this year. Thank God that Foley is in charge of the boys again!!! :cool:
Love when the ole 97' gets pissed and uses word, this team is gonna blow us away something tells me, so get the bags packed cuz were goin south in December!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The flaw in your explanation is that you are comparing apples to oranges. Those are pro teams that make a tonof dough before they sell a ticket. Nevermind the fact that neither team has attendance issues. In D-1 college football, how many fannies in the seats is one way a program is judged. The best fans are the ones that buy tickets from the school and go to games. Period. Doesn't mean you can't be a good fan if you just watch on TV, it just means you aren't one of the best fans.
Read my next post after the one you quoted.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The best fans are the ones that buy tickets from the school and go to games. Period. Doesn't mean you can't be a good fan if you just watch on TV, it just means you aren't one of the best fans.
Didn't realize we had formal levels of fandom. Can you send an application? I guess I probably qualify as a class 2 fan. Should I mark all my UConn gear appropriately? Maybe there is a patch I need to sew on...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Attendance is a delicate issue. I'm not one for issuing edicts for how people should spend their money. That said, if UCONN continues to play in front of dwindling attendance figures, it makes it much more difficult to find an AAC escape pod.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Didn't realize we had formal levels of fandom. Can you send an application? I guess I probably qualify as a class 2 fan. Should I mark all my UConn gear appropriately? Maybe there is a patch I need to sew on...

Sorry Seoul. The good news is that you would bump up to Class 1 fan should UCONN ever play a neutral game in either Korea.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Sorry Seoul. The good news is that you would bump up to Class 1 fan should UCONN ever play a neutral game in either Korea.
No worries - just me being snarky; probably repressed guilt over not being able to do my part. Two years 'til retirement and then it's season ticket for me.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Much as I love the Huskies, I would not recommend anyone buy a ticket to see them in N.Korea (well, except maybe Dennis Rodman). People have a habit of getting stuck up there.

Reaction Score
SeoulHuskyFan said:

Clearly that isn't directed at the geographically challenged. But people that can get to the games, have the money to get to the games, yet can't be bothered drop a level in my book.

And I'm not saying that nearby fans have to go to every game. We have lives. But half?

Maybe it's just me (I love live sports) but i could never consider myself a big fan of something I wouldn't inconvenience myself to go watch live.

I make 2-3 treks (most of the time alone) to see Packers games every year. And I'm lining up my plans for Wisconsin/LSU in Houston the day after our BYU game.

Some of my favorite memories have come from being at live sporting events. Very few moments stack up from anything I've watched on TV (the shot being the prime example of the exception).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Clearly that isn't directed at the geographically challenged. But people that can get to the games, have the money to get to the games, yet can't be bothered drop a level in my book.

And I'm not saying that nearby fans have to go to every game. We have lives. But half?

Maybe it's just me (I love live sports) but i could never consider myself a big fan of something I wouldn't inconvenience myself to go watch live.

I make 2-3 treks (most of the time alone) to see Packers games every year. And I'm lining up my plans for Wisconsin/LSU in Houston the day after our BYU game.

Some of my favorite memories have come from being at live sporting events. Very few moments stack up from anything I've watched on TV (the shot being the prime example of the exception).

If you live here and you aren't going
and there aren't extenuating circumstances you aren't as good a fan as the people who do.

The people who don't go get very angry when people say that, but it's a cold hard reality.

Reaction Score
If you live here and you aren't going
and there aren't extenuating circumstances you aren't as good a fan as the people who do.

The people who don't go get very angry when people say that, but it's a cold hard reality.
I agree for UCONN football fans who have been to the Rent for a game, shame on them for not supporting and attending. I was listening to channel 91XM radio and they were saying how loyal SC Gamecock fans are. They were 1-11 one year and still packed in 82,000/game.

The truth is there are thousands of sports fans in CT who have never stepped foot into Rentschler stadium. UCONN needs to get more aggressive through proactive ticket sales. As I posted elsewhere outsourcing is becoming popular in selling NCAA sporting events.

IMG has a unit called IMG Learfiled Ticket solutions:http://www.imglearfieldticketsolutions.com/ Another firm is called the Aspire Grouphttp://www.theaspiregroupinc.com/what-we-do.html that provides outsource ticket sales on a commission basis.

Here is a good article about Outsourcing of ticket sales rather than waiting for the phone to ring:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...college-outsourcing-sports-ticket-sales_n.htm

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
If you live here and you aren't going and there aren't extenuating circumstances you aren't as good a fan as the people who do. The people who don't go get very angry when people say that, but it's a cold hard reality.

You said it better than I did. Thanks.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't really disagree with any of this -- people filling seats are doing something important and the program needs more of them. I guess my issue is with calling someone who chooses not go, despite having every opportunity, a fan at all. It seems to me that a fan is compelled to go -- he goes because they're playing and because he can - what else would he do? I guess the hope is that those who are going for reasons other than pure compulsion, eventually become fans.

Reaction Score
I agree for UCONN football fans who have been to the Rent for a game, shame on them for not supporting and attending. I was listening to channel 91XM radio and they were saying how loyal SC Gamecock fans are. They were 1-11 one year and still packed in 82,000/game.

The truth is there are thousands of sports fans in CT who have never stepped foot into Rentschler stadium. UCONN needs to get more aggressive through proactive ticket sales. As I posted elsewhere outsourcing is becoming popular in selling NCAA sporting events.

IMG has a unit called IMG Learfiled Ticket solutions:http://www.imglearfieldticketsolutions.com/ Another firm is called the Aspire Grouphttp://www.theaspiregroupinc.com/what-we-do.html that provides outsource ticket sales on a commission basis.

Here is a good article about Outsourcing of ticket sales rather than waiting for the phone to ring:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...college-outsourcing-sports-ticket-sales_n.htm

You can walk through New England and the NYC Metro with discounted tickets to a college or pro team. Any team, any sport. If the team is lousy, you won't have much success. The fan base is intelligent and discerning and has money to spend; but not for bad product. I've seen the Yankees and Mets draw 4.0 million and I've seen both stadiums become empty echo chambers. The Jets have lost a multi-year waiting list. The Giants, Knicks and Rangers live with no-shows.

Columbia, SC? What else is there to do? What else competes for the entertainment dollar? In this part of the country, bad product doesn't sell. It's a totally different sell.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't really disagree with any of this -- people filling seats are doing something important and the program needs more of them. I guess my issue is with calling someone who chooses not go, despite having every opportunity, a fan at all. It seems to me that a fan is compelled to go -- he goes because they're playing and because he can - what else would he do? I guess the hope is that those who are going for reasons other than pure compulsion, eventually become fans.

It's an interesting thought. For years I went to every basketball game at the XL Center. The last few years I'm down to 3-4 a season. It would take some effort but I could still go to all of them... I just would rather stay home and have 15 games to pick from on television.

I watch 90-95% of the total minutes of the season, but fully grant than anyone hauling themselves to Gampel or XL night in and out is a better fan than I.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I watch whatever I can, usually at Oh-dark thirty which makes it extra painful when we suck. I love going to games. I've been to several games at aloha during the june jones era (saw timmy chang hit ashley lelie late to beat david carr's fresno team); been to see arkansas at LSU; watched alvin garrett (whom howard cosell famously called a "little monkey") at angelo state university... also went to some great texas 4-5a high school games out there - odessa permian and midland lee. It pains me that I haven't been able to get to a UConn game since the upgrade.

Reaction Score
You can walk through New England and the NYC Metro with discounted tickets to a college or pro team. Any team, any sport. If the team is lousy, you won't have much success. The fan base is intelligent and discerning and has money to spend; but not for bad product. I've seen the Yankees and Mets draw 4.0 million and I've seen both stadiums become empty echo chambers. The Jets have lost a multi-year waiting list. The Giants, Knicks and Rangers live with no-shows.

Columbia, SC? What else is there to do? What else competes for the entertainment dollar? In this part of the country, bad product doesn't sell. It's a totally different sell.
Quite a number of universities have taken advantage of this sales strategy. If football season ticket sales are down, it may be worth checking into. The universities have access to huge data bases.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
It's an interesting thought. For years I went to every basketball game at the XL Center. The last few years I'm down to 3-4 a season. It would take some effort but I could still go to all of them... I just would rather stay home and have 15 games to pick from on television.

I watch 90-95% of the total minutes of the season, but fully grant than anyone hauling themselves to Gampel or XL night in and out is a better fan than I.
You know I'm not the judge, and don't want to be but I think if you're going once or more per season you shouldn't feel bad. It amazes me how much the internet/streaming experience has improved in just a couple of years.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You know I'm not the judge, and don't want to be but I think if you're going once or more per season you shouldn't feel bad. It amazes me how much the internet/streaming experience has improved in just a couple of years.

Oh I don't feel bad.

To me it's not just the improvement of streaming.. it's the way streaming and the internet have conditioned me. At home I don't watch commercials. I can jump between a dozen games and always find something competitive. Twitter for me and many others is huge during a college football Saturday or college basketball night.

I've lost all patience for the dead time at a college basketball game.

Almost anyone who has ever seen Red Zone instantly gets how awesome it is. I'd rather stay home with an ipad and Red Zone than go to any NFL game. If I go to an NFL game it's for the tailgate/social experience.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
Oh I don't feel bad. To me it's not just the improvement of streaming.. it's the way streaming and the internet have conditioned me. At home I don't watch commercials. I can jump between a dozen games and always find something competitive. Twitter for me and many others is huge during a college football Saturday or college basketball night. I've lost all patience for the dead time at a college basketball game. Almost anyone who has ever seen Red Zone instantly gets how awesome it is. I'd rather stay home with an ipad and Red Zone than go to any NFL game. If I go to an NFL game it's for the tailgate/social experience.

To me going to games is spending time teaching my son the game or seeing friends I don't see that often. Because I work in NYC I don't see my Hartford based peeps that much. Having FB and BB tix gives me legit reason to go out and see people I otherwise wouldn't get to see.

Dooley

Reaction Score
To me going to games is spending time teaching my son the game or seeing friends I don't see that often. Because I work in NYC I don't see my Hartford based peeps that much. Having FB and BB tix gives me legit reason to go out and see people I otherwise wouldn't get to see.

Ditto for me, minus the working in NYC part. I work from home most of the week and don't see many people. Going to football games with my brother and friends is something I really look forward to on a week-to-week basis. Good food, good drinks, and good times. I love our seat location. That all said, I do hope that UCONN/Spectrum will put some money into expanding wifi at the stadium. I would love to be able to check scores from other games but it's impossible to do so inside the stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom