2014 F Terry Harris, younger bro of Tobias & Tyler, will take unofficials to UConn Wed | The Boneyard

2014 F Terry Harris, younger bro of Tobias & Tyler, will take unofficials to UConn Wed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There's another Harris?

Every coach east of the Mississippi just took an Excedrin.

Reaction Score
I'll take a pass on dealing with this family. Just how many Harris boys are there? Thought we were finally done hearing about them.

Reaction Score
Good to see the recruiting has stayed strong. We knew Ollie was a great recruiter, but you don't know what's going to happen after a legend like Calhoun retires. We haven't missed a beat.

Reaction Score
Fishy, I can't take this any more....please bring some perspective to this board on this topic!!!
Why again does everyone say "We knew Ollie was a great recruiter" and "We haven't missed a beat"?
What factual evidence is there to back this up?
Was it the haul last spring of Phillip Nolan, Leon Tolksdorf, and RJ Evans?
Or was it bringing in the big fish this year, #99 nationally rated Facey?
Or was it beating URI, Dayton, and Temple for Top 200 guard Samuels?
Or was it losing a Top 25 player from our own backyard today that "we must not have wanted"?
Fishy, can you help us out here?
What cemented the "great recruiter" label?

Reaction Score
You fail to mention Andre Drummond, DeAndre Daniels and Omar Calhoun. If you listen to what every recruit we are dealing with says then you will know Ollie is going to clean up on the recruiting trail, the players and AAU/high school coaches rave about him. Also within a week of being head coach the #1 player in the country added UConn to his list and Ollie should be meeting with him in the next couple of days.

Reaction Score
Also there are no sour grapes with losing out on Kuran Iverson, we just stopped recruiting him. Wish him well, it's always good to root for the local kids.

Reaction Score
Pat Sellars did all the heavy lifting on Drummond when he was a frosh/soph/junior through his relationship with JR Hargraves, Andre's mentor.
DeAndre Daniels? That is a positive?
And bringing in the top senior from NYC, two hours from campus, a month off a UConn national championship led by a charismatic NYC player, is what you're SUPPOSED to do.
I admit the most impressive pelt for KO was getting on Parker's list but at the end of the day I doubt it gets us anything.
Let me be clear, I'm a KO guy. Hope it works out. But we're all going overboard on the "incredible recruiter" right now. Let's give him that tag when the results warrant it.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
ko is doing a great job on the trail. i know this from my sources. hes landing good players right away and is doing work on many top rated kids. i am happy with ko on the trail.

Reaction Score
Yes getting DeAndre Daniels was positive, the kid was the #10 recruit in the country and we came out of nowhere and beat Duke and other top programs for his services. Sounds like you are writing Daniels off after not doing much his freshman year, hope you come back to eat crow when he turns into a really good player. Ollie gets no credit because Omar Calhoun is from NYC? If you didn't realize recruiting for us the last two years hasn't exactly been ideal, Calhoun's health hasn't been good and nobody knew if he would continue coaching or retire oh and there is that little thing about the postseason ban.

Reaction Score
superjohn, my post wasn't meant to enflame anyone. I was looking for Fishy's thoughts on the topic. We can agree to disagree on Daniels. My point on celebrating the Omar commitment is that it's like having a party for your mailman tomorrow after he slips the mail in your mailbox...that was KO doing his job. Win a National Championship led by an NYC player for the ages means "UConn assistant (fill in the blank) for the next month or so you get to go down Route 95 and take your pick of any player in NYC while your brand name is white hot." That's how it works.
And I understand KO has been recruiting with brutal obstacles in his way. I get that. I'm just focused on the results and the last five guys to sign the scholarship papers scare the hell out of me. That's 5 out of 13 schollies.
The feeling began in the spring and intensified when Samuels verballed and this fan base nearly threw a parade.

Reaction Score
superjohn, my post wasn't meant to enflame anyone. I was looking for Fishy's thoughts on the topic. We can agree to disagree on Daniels. My point on celebrating the Omar commitment is that it's like having a party for your mailman tomorrow after he slips the mail in your mailbox...that was KO doing his job. Win a National Championship led by an NYC player for the ages means "UConn assistant (fill in the blank) for the next month or so you get to go down Route 95 and take your pick of any player in NYC while your brand name is white hot." That's how it works.
And I understand KO has been recruiting with brutal obstacles in his way. I get that. I'm just focused on the results and the last five guys to sign the scholarship papers scare the hell out of me. That's 5 out of 13 schollies.
The feeling began in the spring and intensified when Samuels verballed and this fan base nearly threw a parade.

Being new here I believe many of us will need an explanation of the "ddooky" before we present our thoughts..........;)

Reaction Score

Obviously you haven't been around UConn basketball for that long and need an education.........Many key players in all of the success of the program dating back to 89-90 and even the NIT piece were not highly recruited and improved dramatically as JC and his staff saw talent, work ethic, character and potential..........I need to ask you what do you know about Facey and Samuels that scares the hell out of you? Obviously you've seen them play so let's hear what you know that KO, Glen and Karl don't??

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Being new here I believe many of us will need an explanation of the "ddooky" before we present our thoughts..........;)

I think I got her handle pegged...

Ooky is the younger sister of the infamous Snooky, a Rutgers fan. As younger, sometimes rebellious siblings often do, Ooky developed a liking for a superior competing school.

And the double d's up front...need I explain??

Reaction Score
Fishy, I can't take this any more....please bring some perspective to this board on this topic!!!
Why again does everyone say "We knew Ollie was a great recruiter" and "We haven't missed a beat"?
What factual evidence is there to back this up?
Was it the haul last spring of Phillip Nolan, Leon Tolksdorf, and RJ Evans?
Or was it bringing in the big fish this year, #99 nationally rated Facey?
Or was it beating URI, Dayton, and Temple for Top 200 guard Samuels?
Or was it losing a Top 25 player from our own backyard today that "we must not have wanted"?
Fishy, can you help us out here?
What cemented the "great recruiter" label?

You're cherry picking here.

1) Why even bring up RJ Evans, a one year transfer who won't even be on the roster in 2014 when we're eligible for the postseason again? Not to mention, he's the one kid who actually thought he'd be playing for Calhoun, not Ollie.

2) You don't even mention the 2011 class, which was considered a monster class by absolutely everyone at the time. Regardless of the kind of player Daniels actually turns out to be, landing him was considered a major recruiting win. Plus, if you're going to be critical of Daniels for not meeting expectations then you have to praise Boatright for exceeding expectations.

3) Landing someone as good as Omar Calhoun in the class of 2012 is the farthest thing from a given. Sure, Omar saw Kemba cut down the nets, but he also saw a mediocre 2012 season, a postseason ban handed out, and a murky (at best) head coaching situation. He had plenty of chances to back out, but he didn't. Who knows how much of that was due to Kevin Ollie, but I find it pretty impressive nonetheless.

4) We get it - Samuel and Facey must stink because they aren't ranked all that high. Depending on what site you look at, Facey is anywhere in the 60-90 range. Jeremy Lamb (and about 2 dozen other guys who ended up being pretty good Uconn players) was in the exact same range. And if someone were to point out that Pittsburgh wanted Samuel and UCLA and Louisville wanted Facey, those would sound like pretty good gets all of a sudden wouldn't they?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
samuel and facey are the type of recruits we have done great with in the past. kids known but not hyped out of the gym. the key to them is that they are very lenghty with raw potential. at uconn we teach ballers how to be basketball players and when u bring in raw lenght, the nba watches.

Reaction Score
Mauconnfan, I come in peace. Rest assured I've followed UConn Basketball long enough to have an educated opinion.
The origin of my handle will remain hidden though. It's too stupid to waste space on. LOL.
I get the whole "JC made his bones with the underrecruited guys" thing. That worked from 1986-1996 when Donyell and Ray changed all that. After those two guys, the staff could now contact higher-rated guys without the phone being slammed down on them. The teams from 1997-2011 usually had several Top 20-40 studs mixed in with JC-type, lunch-pail warriors and the run of success was almost unparalleled. NCs in 99, 04, and 11 and legit shots in 98, 02, 06, and 09. My point was the last five guys in have been those "underrecruited types". That's five guys in a row without even a Top 50-type talent. I think if it keeps going like this it will catch up to us in the next two-three years.
HuskyBBallFan, fair point on Evans.
I don't mention the 2011 class because KO had little to do with getting any those guys. That was all LaFleur and Sellars, who get no credit from anyone on this board for basically putting together the whole 2011 NC team.
I've seen Facey once and Samuels several times. In our glory days, they'd be the 3rd and 5th type guys in a five-man class. My fear is they'll headline this class.
That's all I'm saying. I'm on board with KO. I'm pulling for KO. I think he has a chance to some day, hopefully armed with a long-term contract, become a great recruiter. He certainly has the potential.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I don't mention the 2011 class because KO had little to do with getting any those guys. That was all LaFleur and Sellars, who get no credit from anyone on this board for basically putting together the whole 2011 NC team.

I give Pat and Andre all the credit in the world. Ive never seen anyone here say anything different.

Reaction Score
Mauconnfan, I come in peace. Rest assured I've followed UConn Basketball long enough to have an educated opinion.

Do you have an ETA regarding when you will start posting the educated opinions? It would help me determine how long I will need to block you. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom