2013 Targets | The Boneyard

2013 Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With school being back and the staff returning from the Olympics the recruiting situation is becoming more clear with school lists and visit dates for the targets. Thought I would try to put it all together in one thread and people can add on as more information becomes available.

Saniya Chong 5'9" Guard Ossining HS Ossining, NY

Unofficial Visits to Uconn: 2/11/12 Georgetown game

Official Visit: Scheduled for October 13-14

Schools Considering: UConn, Louisville, Ohio State

Linnae Harper 5'6" Guard Whitney Young HS Chicago, Illinois

Visits: None Scheduled or reported yet

Schools Considering: UConn, Ohio State, UCLA, Miami, Kentuckey, South Carolina, LSU, Georgia, Florida, DePaul, Tenn

Erica McCall 6'3" Forward Ridgeview HS Bakersfield, California

Unofficaial Visits to UConn: Weekend of April 13

Official Visit: Scheduled for October 12-14

Schools Considering: UConn, Stanford, Duke, UCLA, Cal-State Bakersfield

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
McCall and either of the other two would be great. All 3 would be awesome.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'd settle for the two guards and worry about bigs in 2014. All three sounds good to me, though.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Didn't Auriemma make a semi cryptic comment about recruits prior to the Olympics? I don't remember the exact statement but I think it was along the lines of people will be surprised.

Given the current roster I think what the team needs for 2013 are a couple of Jacquie Fernandes types.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Didn't Auriemma make a semi cryptic comment about recruits prior to the Olympics? I don't remember the exact statement but I think it was along the lines of people will be surprised.

Given the current roster I think what the team needs for 2013 are a couple of Jacquie Fernandes types.
Yep. it was something along the lines of "the 2013 recruiting class will be wrapped up shortly and the names of the kids will be a surprise to people," or something like that...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like the balance of a guard and a big, but I think it's more important to have numbers.

Harper is an outstanding player with a lot of heart. She sounds like a Husky. She will contribute immediately.

McCall is a coach's daughter and a pro's sister. She is also a bright kid and a hard worker. I like her a lot.

Chong has not played against all that much national competition. I think she is more untested than the others, but she has a big upside (no jokes on that!). Even if she's only a bench player, she'll make sure we score tons in garbage time.

I have not ruled out Kendall Cooper yet as a backup or surprise.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Basically, we're not going to hear anything until at least mid-October. Until then, there's going to be extraordinarily little to discuss around the 2013 class that hasn't been discussed to death already.

Reaction Score
Basically, we're not going to hear anything until at least mid-October. Until then, there's going to be extraordinarily little to discuss around the 2013 class that hasn't been discussed to death already.

In other words, there will be about 20 new threads on 2013 recruiting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
True Alex, but a couple things. People are often on vacation, or miss the threads - even if a thread hasn't had a post for just a few days, it ends up on page 2 or beyond. So while i get that some wonder why there are so many questions that seem to ask the same thing every week or so, it's probably more because they missed the BY for just a days and hope they didn't miss out on any good recruiting stuff.

But you are correct - First Night Supershow is set for Oct 12. Maybe one of the mods could pin a "thread" that has the title "First Night October 12" and then list the visitors already "confirmed". As you said, it's highly unlikely we will hear anything till after that. I'm sure most UCONN fans will be eagerly awaiting any announcements from the kids who attended in the hopes we get a verbal or 2 after the event...

I also think another good idea might be to tack a list of recruits UCONN is officially after, and then maybe a list of kids we are supposedly after. it could be edited by one of the mods if/when something changes. Of course, that might be more of an aggravation to them than anything else so maybe it's not such a great idea...

Reaction Score
With school being back and the staff returning from the Olympics the recruiting situation is becoming more clear with school lists and visit dates for the targets. Thought I would try to put it all together in one thread and people can add on as more information becomes available.

Saniya Chong 5'9" Guard Ossining HS Ossining, NY

Unofficial Visits to Uconn: 2/11/12 Georgetown game

Official Visit: Scheduled for October 13-14

Schools Considering: UConn, Louisville, Ohio State

Linnae Harper 5'6" Guard Whitney Young HS Chicago, Illinois

Visits: None Scheduled or reported yet

Schools Considering: UConn, Ohio State, UCLA, Miami, Kentuckey, South Carolina, LSU, Georgia, Florida, DePaul, Tenn

Erica McCall 6'3" Forward Ridgeview HS Bakersfield, California

Unofficaial Visits to UConn: Weekend of April 13

Official Visit: Scheduled for October 12-14

Schools Considering: UConn, Stanford, Duke, UCLA, Cal-State Bakersfield
With only 3 guards, 3 bigs, and 2 wing/ multi-position players in KML & Stewart we need players who can come in with some impact on the game. We really need wings. The 6' very quick slashing type player. I know everyone thinks that 2014 will be a great class for us, but you can't think that way. Every class needs players who can impact a game. If we had 10 returning players then maybe we could get away with a role/bench player.

Reaction Score
we need players who can come in with some impact on the game.

Disagree.
Hartley-Jefferson-KML-Tuck-Stewart-Dolson is a pretty phenomenal top 6. If I had a guarantee that they'd be 100% health in March 2014, I'd bet heavily on a NC.

But one way to help that along is with depth. 2 or 3 players who can do a decent, but not spectacular, job as frosh is all that should be needed. (Don't get me wrong, more/better would be great.)

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Wrong, as I see it. We need strength/talent from every recruited year/class. Too many variables(injuries, illness, slumps, etc) to assume predictable roster playing time over the entire year.

Reaction Score
I HAD LUNCH WITH HUSKYBILL. TOP THAT.
We could solve a lot of problems if only HuskyBill would agree to come off the bench. He did seem stuck to the pine last year - even Geno couldn't get him off the bench. I guess some people will do anything to get a good seat at UConn women's basketball games.

Since you're one of the few people on speaking terms with him, Oz, maybe you could talk him into it.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Disagree.
Hartley-Jefferson-KML-Tuck-Stewart-Dolson is a pretty phenomenal top 6. If I had a guarantee that they'd be 100% health in March 2014, I'd bet heavily on a NC.

But one way to help that along is with depth. 2 or 3 players who can do a decent, but not spectacular, job as frosh is all that should be needed. (Don't get me wrong, more/better would be great.)
Agree- throw Kiah and Banks on top of that top six, and that's a NC-caliber rotation and then some. Freshman depth would help keep everyone fresh, could help in the event of injuries, and would position UConn better for 2014-15 (which is a year UConn could definitely win a NC as well). But I have a tough time thinking UConn doesn't win the NC going away in 2013-14 whatever transpires.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
We could solve a lot of problems if only HuskyBill would agree to come off the bench. He did seem stuck to the pine last year - even Geno couldn't get him off the bench. I guess some people will do anything to get a good seat at UConn women's basketball games.

Since you're one of the few people on speaking terms with him, Oz, maybe you could talk him into it.

Wonks...I'll make that a priority on my short list.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We need a ball handleing guard who can make plays. Bria and MJ are great but we need a least one more.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yowza! Total agreement.

Too bad Ekmark isn't coming in 2013.
Courtney is ranked 1st academically in her high school class. Can she pull a Mike Gminski and jump to college after her junior year. Wanna start a rumor?

Reaction Score
Disagree.

The problem is you CAN'T guarantee health. Look at how Maya's senior year turned out going only 6 deep. Keep in mind that you lose Dolson and Hartley the next year, so 1 week class can have a long term effect. Also, keep in mind that senior leadership is always important (not just talent) so a week senior class down the road (no matter how talented the other classes are) always impacts the team. I believe that a player like Harper (this of course is based only from what I've read, she is both vocal and her effort on the court is leadership by example (nobody gets that many rebounds at her size without hard work)) has both talent and leadership skills that can help next year right through when she is a senior.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Dont be surprised to see Sierra Calhoun in the picture. Her brother is here and she and her dad want to be at UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom