2012-13 Roster | The Boneyard

2012-13 Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It's always fun to look at this in writing. Wow...lots of possible combinations of size and speed.

WIth only losing Hayes and adding a defensive presence like Stewart, I can see this team breaking both the FG and Scoring defensive records that got away from last years team.

6'5" Dolson
6'4" Stewart
6'3" Stokes
6'3" Buck
6'2" Tuck
6' Lewis
5'11" Faris
5'11" Engeln
5'10" Doty
5'9" Hartley
5'9" Banks
5'7" Jefferson

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Really looking forward to see how the three frosh get themselves UConn ready, and to watch this team develop.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Clearly, this is the tallest team we have had in awhile. 4 players 6'3" and up, two more 6' to 6"2" and three more 5'10". All in all 9 players 5'10 and up.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This team can play really big

6'5" Dolson at the 5
6'3" Stokes at the 4
6'4" Stewart at the 3
6' Lewis at the 2
5'11" Faris at the 1

What is interesting is that this is also one of the quickest teams we have had. Imagine a lineup of

Banks
Jefferson
Hartley
Stewart
Stokes

Geno will have a great time mixing and matching.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Correction this is the tallest team we have ever had.
IDK. 2000-2001
Rigby 6-6
Schuey 6-5
Moore 6-3
Williams 6-2
Cash 6-2
Jones 6-2
Sveta 6-2
Ralph 6-0
Taurasi 6-0
Valley 6-0
Battle 6-0
Bird 5-9
Conlon 5-9
Johnson 5-8
Czel 5-7

That's 11, 6-0 or greater. They were pretty big.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That is exactly the team I was unsure about.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
This team can play really big

6'5" Dolson at the 5
6'3" Stokes at the 4
6'4" Stewart at the 3
6' Lewis at the 2
5'11" Faris at the 1

What is interesting is that this is also one of the quickest teams we have had. Imagine a lineup of

Banks
Jefferson
Hartley
Stewart
Stokes

Geno will have a great time mixing and matching.

I am wondering with the addition of Stewart whether we will see less of this season's Twin Towers - Stef & Kiah - at the same time. Of course Geno may continue developing Kiah's face-up game, getting her comfortable away from the basket, etc., but I think in a very short amount of time Breanna would be a better addition with either of those two playing the low post.

A more experienced Kiah coming back may just impress enough to change my mind. She did have a nice face-up power move to the basket from the right baseline in the national semi-final that opened my eyes.

But really, as DD and others have pointed out, there are going to be so many possibilities with this team that it's craaaaaaazy.

[Edit: if Geno feels comfortable with Kiah, Stef, *and* Breanna on the floor at the same time as you have listed above, aka Tri-Towers, that will be a whole lot of lumber for the opponent to contend with. But I think he would have Bria run the point in that config. Who knows, really :p ]

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Kiah is one of the most athletic posts ever to play at UConn, but she is still a relatively raw talent with potential to be a tremendous player at both ends of the court. How soon, and whether she achieves her potential really depends on how badly she wants to put in the work and how quickly she puts into practice in games what she learns in drills and practice.

But we have already seen glimpses of what she can do in games. UConn's track record in developing posts is pretty darn good, as long as the kids are willing to put in the work.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I am wondering with the addition of Stewart whether we will see less of this season's Twin Towers - Stef & Kiah - at the same time. Of course Geno may continue developing Kiah's face-up game, getting her comfortable away from the basket, etc., but I think in a very short amount of time Breanna would be a better addition with either of those two playing the low post.

A more experienced Kiah coming back may just impress enough to change my mind. She did have a nice face-up power move to the basket from the right baseline in the national semi-final that opened my eyes.

But really, as DD and others have pointed out, there are going to be so many possibilities with this team that it's craaaaaaazy.

[Edit: if Geno feels comfortable with Kiah, Stef, *and* Breanna on the floor at the same time as you have listed above, aka Tri-Towers, that will be a whole lot of lumber for the opponent to contend with. But I think he would have Bria run the point in that config. Who knows, really :p ]
i'm not sure what you mean by "low post" - i assume that means smack in the middle of the paint? i think Bree is more versatile and will shortly be more talented than Stef or Kiah, especially in what she's able to do. But after watching Stef get absolutely attacked and beaten in the post (kudos again to her for battling and being effective cuz it was BRUTAL), i think Bree is far too slender to take that kind of abuse.

i could see her being a slasher and getting to the basket that way, but i don't see her posting up that much or spending time banging around with the bigs. add to that Bree's ability to dribble the ball almost like a guard, and her mid-range and long-range game, and i think she will be far more effective NOT being on the court as the "5".

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
i'm not sure what you mean by "low post" - i assume that means smack in the middle of the paint?

"but I think in a very short amount of time Breanna would be a better addition with either of those two playing the low post."

- What I meant is that Bre will be a better addition on the court when either Stef or Kiah are playing the 5, rather than the twin towers we saw this year (Stef+Kiah). So then it would be Bre+Stef or Bre+Kiah on the floor. Kiah is developing a face-up game but she seems more adept at posting up and generally likes the back-to-the-basket game. And although Stef has a great high-post game, she is still definitely at home in the 5 spot as well.

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised to see Kelly Faris getting extended minutes at point guard. Despite playing mostly off-guard and small forward this season she led the team in assists. Hartley, Banks and Jefferson probably all have better handles but Hartley is really a shooting guard and the other two are unknowns at this point. I think CD will start but probably won't play more than 20 minutes per game and if she continues to be a non-factor on offense then she's basically a less athletic Faris (I sincerely hope to be proven wrong on both those counts, but I don't know how much mobility she can recover at this point). It was also clear in watching the games this season that Faris is better than anyone on this team at feeding the post, which will be crucial next year, and she has the defensive ability to shut down opposing point guards. (first post woot:D)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would not be surprised to see Kelly Faris getting extended minutes at point guard. Despite playing mostly off-guard and small forward this season she led the team in assists. Hartley, Banks and Jefferson probably all have better handles but Hartley is really a shooting guard and the other two are unknowns at this point. I think CD will start but probably won't play more than 20 minutes per game and if she continues to be a non-factor on offense then she's basically a less athletic Faris (I sincerely hope to be proven wrong on both those counts, but I don't know how much mobility she can recover at this point). It was also clear in watching the games this season that Faris is better than anyone on this team at feeding the post, which will be crucial next year, and she has the defensive ability to shut down opposing point guards. (first post woot:D)
That's one.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's always fun to look at this in writing. Wow...lots of possible combinations of size and speed.

WIth only losing Hayes and adding a defensive presence like Stewart, I can see this team breaking both the FG and Scoring defensive records that got away from last years team.

6'5" Dolson
6'4" Stewart
6'3" Stokes
6'3" Buck
6'2" Tuck
6' Lewis
5'11" Faris
5'11" Engeln
5'10" Doty
5'9" Hartley
5'9" Banks
5'7" Jefferson
Thanks for listing Bria at her real height of about 5'9". The official figure of 5'7" is not close.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Thanks for listing Bria at her real height of about 5'9". The official figure of 5'7" is not close.
DD tries to get it right since he loves her game and looks up to her. ;)

Reaction Score
Is suspect we will see a lot of Breanna playing with Stef, perhaps even in the starting lineup to balance the rotation. Kiah will probably exclusively backup Stef next season. Morgan will primarily backup Breanna, and will likely play most of the time with Kiah. I don't expect to see much of Breanna playing with Kiah or Morgan playing with Stef. It makes more sense to pair your two players that are refined offensively in Stef and Morgan with a defensive athlete like Breanna or Kiah than it does playing your two offensive skill players together or your two athletes together. Balance is better. Now what does potentially have balance and we may see often later in their careers is Breanna and Morgan at the 4 and the 5. Not sure how much we will see it when they are freshman, but I wouldn't be that surprised to see it in certain matchup situations. Breanna is obviously skilled, but she's not as consistent offensively as Stef and Morgan. What I'm talking about is the difference between having 3-point range and making 3-point shots consistently. As Breanna and Kiah develop offensively during their careers playing them together will become more of an option, and when that happens a lot of shots are going to be blocked. I think it is a little too early to expect to see big lineups with Breanna or Morgan at the 3, although that likely will happen eventually.

Reaction Score
Very interesting thread. I was surprised by how closely the CT height distribution was to the Duke distribution.

6'5" Vernerey
6'4" Henson
6'4" Heckman
6'3" Peters
6'3" Williams
6'1" Liston
6' Jackson
5'11" Gray
5'11" Moore
5'10" Johnson
5'8" Jones

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
DD tries to get it right since he loves her game and looks up to her. ;)

That's true. I admire her. She is a very nice person. Thank you for pointing that out.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Very interesting thread. I was surprised by how closely the CT height distribution was to the Duke distribution.

6'5" Vernerey
6'4" Henson
6'4" Heckman
6'3" Peters
6'3" Williams
6'1" Liston
6' Jackson
5'11" Gray
5'11" Moore
5'10" Johnson
5'8" Jones

Duke is an excellent team. It's interesting how the roster sizes are so similar. Thanks for sharing.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

6'5" Vernerey
6'4" Henson
6'4" Heckman
6'3" Peters
6'3" Williams
6'1" Liston
6' Jackson
5'11" Gray
5'11" Moore
5'10" Johnson
5'8" Jones
Hasn't Verneray graduated?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
First like too. :)

But no I don't see her playing PG. They have CD, Bri, Banks, MoJo to do that. I don't see CD playing 20 minutes a game either. I think her minutes will go down.

Although I do agree, Faris can feed the post as well as anyone on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom