2004 Most Talented Roster Ever | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2004 Most Talented Roster Ever

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Grasp harder

The only thing I'm not getting here is why you're getting so upset. The internet may not be for you if you get this triggered over an "LOL".

Calmer than you are, dude.

You're getting beaten in this thread like a redheaded stepchild.

Reaction Score
Calmer than you are, dude.

You're getting beaten in this thread like a redheaded stepchild.
Nothing you've said or could say has or will get "under my skin", speaking of taking an L...

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I feel like the 09 is the only team we ever had beat Louisville in the regular season

Reaction Score
I skipped the last two pages because it went all boneyard... So hopefully not repeating anyone here.

94: KO, Doron, Donny, Donyell, Travis, Big E, Ray, Fair, Kirk, King (5 NBA draft picks plus KO)
95: KO, Doron, Ray, Donny, Travis, Big E, Fair, Kirk King (4 NBA draft picks plus KO)
96: Doron, Ray, Rudy, Kirk King, Travis, Rash, Ricky, Big E (3 NBA draft picks)
99: KEA, Ricky, Rip, KFree, Jake, Mouring, Edmund, Souley, Rashad (3 NBA draft picks)
04: Taliek, Ben, Rashad, Boone, Emeka, Charlie, Denham, Marcus Williams for 1/2 the season (6 NBA draft picks)
06: Marcus, Rashad, Rudy Gay, Boone, Hilton, Denham, Austrie, Ed Nelson (5 NBA draft picks)
09: AJ, Dyson, Sticks, Adrien, Hash, Austrie, Gavin, Kemba (4 NBA draft picks)

I think 99 is far and away the best team. 04 is the most talented but did not always play that way. 06 was at times the most dominant, but that was few and far between and they coasted more often than not. I think 09 was an outstanding team, but I never thought we were going to win a title even with Dyson.

The 94-96 teams are underrated. They were our highest scoring teams and probably most explosive. They are also the only ones where the entire starting five (at least 94 and 95) were NBA players or draft picks. Of course, we know that they were also a bit soft and that led to our chokes to Florida and Miss. St. and just being outgunned by farking Toby Bailey in 95.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nothing gets under my skin more on boards like this than when an adult male starts a post with "LOL" -- and it's particularly annoying when the person is mocking what, for good reason, is the general consensus.

The 2004 team, once it was healthy, destroyed every team that didn't start Redick, Deng, Shelden Williams, Ewing and Duhon.

And the 1999 team beat an even better Duke team. I hate Duke but if that clouded my judgment I wouldn't admit how good those teams were.

Edit: Unbelievable that you edited your post to make your insult harsher. Very mature. I had to look at Urban Dictionary to see what you were trying to say.
But if it’s a teenage female it’s okay?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
09` had a more dominant regular season for sure but by the time that `04 team as clicking on all cylinders it was a whole different ballgame. They were the better team.

My recollection of 2004 was that they were so talented, that they got lazy at times during the year. That lead to a few upset losses.

Contrast to 1999, which had a spectacular regular season, but which had to work a little harder.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I skipped the last two pages because it went all boneyard... So hopefully not repeating anyone here.

94: KO, Doron, Donny, Donyell, Travis, Big E, Ray, Fair, Kirk, King (5 NBA draft picks plus KO)
95: KO, Doron, Ray, Donny, Travis, Big E, Fair, Kirk King (4 NBA draft picks plus KO)
99: KEA, Ricky, Rip, KFree, Jake, Mouring, Edmund, Souley, Rashad (3 NBA draft picks)
04: Taliek, Ben, Rashad, Boone, Emeka, Charlie, Denham, Marcus Williams for 1/2 the season (6 NBA draft picks)
06: Marcus, Rashad, Rudy Gay, Boone, Hilton, Denham, Austrie, Ed Nelson (5 NBA draft picks)

I think 99 is far and away the best team. 04 is the most talented but did not always play that way. 06 was at times the most dominant, but that was few and far between and they coasted more often than not. I think 09 was an outstanding team, but I never thought we were going to win a title even with Dyson.

The 94-96 teams are underrated. They were our highest scoring teams and probably most explosive. They are also the only ones where the entire starting five (at least 94 and 95) were NBA players or draft picks. Of course, we know that they were also a bit soft and that led to our chokes to Florida and Miss. St. and just being outgunned by farking Toby Bailey in 95.
94 is my favorite team. Just loved their style of play.

There are so many great UConn teams someone could make a video game pitting those teams against each other and provide me with hours of gaming entertainment.

Reaction Score
My recollection of 2004 was that they were so talented, that they got lazy at times during the year. That lead to a few upset losses.

Contrast to 1999, which had a spectacular regular season, but which had to work a little harder.
Ben broke his nose and had to wear a mask for about a 10 game stretch. His play suffered during that stretch and the team sputtered a bit. As he got his confidence and shooting back the team took off and asserted its dominance again. It was really as simple as that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I rank them:

1) 2004 - That team did look like 1990 UNLV at times. They could destroy teams when they were hitting on all cylinders.

2) 1999 - really good team with quality at every position and a couple of stars.

3) 1995 - Ray, Doron, Donny, and Travis were tough to stop. Ollie was excellent at the point and Fair was effective off the bench when he wasn't in the doghouse. This should have been Calhoun's first championship.

4) 2011 - This team was young, but Kemba was the best player in the Tournament and there was enough complementary talent to make UConn one of the contenders going in.

5) 2006 - Everyone hates on this team, but the talent was amazing. Marcus Williams was the best point guard we had prior to Kemba, and the front court was very good. This team had some chemistry issues, but I think the biggest problem was lack of a second ballhandler.

6) 2014 - no future NBA stars, but this team was strong at every position and had a solid bench. Napier was dominant when he needed to be.

7) 1994 - Donyell was excellent, but the supporting cast was not nearly as good as they would all be a year later.

8) 2009 - Good team. Price and Thabeet were good, not dominant. This was one of those supreme chemistry teams, especially after Dyson got hurt.

9) 1990 - Smith was an amazing college guard even if his game didn't translate to the next level, and this team played as well together as any UConn team, ever.

10) 1998 - very young team. Everyone could tell at the time that this team was a year away.

11) 1996 - This team was really good on paper and played well together, but when you boiled it down it was a 2 man offense that was susceptible to Allen having an off game.

12) 2003 - this team wasn't quite ready for prime time, but I will always believe that UConn would have made the Final Four if it had a better officiating crew for the game against Texas.

13) 2002 - As one-man-show as any UConn team in history, and we were still only a couple of bad calls against Okafor from making the Final Four.

14) 2000 - This team was pretty good, and definitely would have made the Sweet 16 if KEA hadn't sprained his ankle against Utah State.

15) 1991 - how did this team beat Shaq and Tyrone Hill in back to back games?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I rank them:

1) 2004 - That team did look like 1990 UNLV at times. They could destroy teams when they were hitting on all cylinders.

2) 1999 - really good team with quality at every position and a couple of stars.

3) 1995 - Ray, Doron, Donny, and Travis were tough to stop. Ollie was excellent at the point and Fair was effective off the bench when he wasn't in the doghouse. This should have been Calhoun's first championship.

4) 2011 - This team was young, but Kemba was the best player in the Tournament and there was enough complementary talent to make UConn one of the contenders going in.

5) 2006 - Everyone hates on this team, but the talent was amazing. Marcus Williams was the best point guard we had prior to Kemba, and the front court was very good. This team had some chemistry issues, but I think the biggest problem was lack of a second ballhandler.

6) 2014 - no future NBA stars, but this team was strong at every position and had a solid bench. Napier was dominant when he needed to be.

7) 1994 - Donyell was excellent, but the supporting cast was not nearly as good as they would all be a year later.

8) 2009 - Good team. Price and Thabeet were good, not dominant. This was one of those supreme chemistry teams, especially after Dyson got hurt.

9) 1990 - Smith was an amazing college guard even if his game didn't translate to the next level, and this team played as well together as any UConn team, ever.

10) 1998 - very young team. Everyone could tell at the time that this team was a year away.

11) 1996 - This team was really good on paper and played well together, but when you boiled it down it was a 2 man offense that was susceptible to Allen having an off game.

12) 2003 - this team wasn't quite ready for prime time, but I will always believe that UConn would have made the Final Four if it had a better officiating crew for the game against Texas.

13) 2002 - As one-man-show as any UConn team in history, and we were still only a couple of bad calls against Okafor from making the Final Four.

14) 2000 - This team was pretty good, and definitely would have made the Sweet 16 if KEA hadn't sprained his ankle against Utah State.

15) 1991 - how did this team beat Shaq and Tyrone Hill in back to back games?
Great analysis. I'd change two things. I feel the 2006 team was better than the 2011 team even without the second ball handler.

I'd bump the 2009 team over the 2014 team.

It's always fun to remind ourselves the teams and players.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think you guys undervalue the 2009 team.

I may be the only one on here that thinks with a healthy Dyson they beat UNC. He added such a powerful component to that team, especially on defense.

Reaction Score

I agree; this should have been the team to win it all. They were so, so explosive. Ray was still a guy who would dunk on you instead of being purely a shooter, Doron to Donny off a make, KO was super solid in the half court, Travis supremely underrated as a big, and Fair could rain 3's when JC liked him. I think this was our highest scoring team ever bringing in around 90/game.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think you guys undervalue the 2009 team.

I may be the only one on here that thinks with a healthy Dyson they beat UNC. He added such a powerful component to that team, especially on defense.
I'm with you. That team was building momentum before that injury. It was a crucial loss.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I agree; this should have been the team to win it all. They were so, so explosive. Ray was still a guy who would dunk on you instead of being purely a shooter, Doron to Donny off a make, KO was super solid in the half court, Travis supremely underrated as a big, and Fair could rain 3's when JC liked him. I think this was our highest scoring team ever bringing in around 90/game.
Put me in this category. That loss to UCLA is still my number one loss. More than George Mason, more than the six overtimes or Donny's failed free throws or Caron's loss to Maryland.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
09 was very good, but they also had some lulls. I saw them preseason at UB almost lose as #2 in the country. They could also be dominant.

I think they’re no question behind our 2 best teams, 04 and 99. More talented but I think missing something compared to 11 & 14.

06 was very talented, if they had even a frosh Kemba/Bazz they win it all. They needed one more backcourt scorer, preferably with onions.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The win over Alabama is a personal favorite. We looked like 1990 UNLV.

That's a forgotten great game. Alabama was the "it" team in that game on a big roll. I still remember the UConn hater at the watering hole telling me how fast Bama was. UConn ran 'em out of the gym and the guy left at halftime.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Toby Bailey was releasing off UConn's shot. It was a calculated risk by Harrick, because UConn was winning the battle of the boards, but UCLA got a bunch of breakaway layups which were a big factor in their victory.

Fair was born 20 years too early. If he played today, he would have a bright green light from the perimeter, and his sporadic defense would be tolerated as long as he was scoring. You could also make the case he was born 10 years too early, because his poor defense wouldn't be as big a problem if Okafor was defending the rim, as it was with Knight defending the rim.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Certainly getting Dyson back didn’t save them in the future.

The team-ball playing Dyson we saw on that 2009 team was really good. I never heard a good reason why that stretch was the exception to the rule in his UConn career. Before and after, he was a hero baller who would have been right at home in the post-JC era.

Reaction Score
What about the 04 team losing to unranked Utah by 16? Losing to unranked Providence by 10? Losing to unranked Notre Dame?

When you compare those losses to 09's losses, and compare relative dominance within wins, it's 09 and not even close.
They didn't lose to Utah that year, they crushed them 76-44. I don't know where you got that one? The Georgia Tech team we killed in the Finals?

That PC team was unranked only by mere accidence. They went into March at 20-5 before utterly falling apart (as PC does).

The 2009 team was great; the 2004 team was better, both teams being healthy. But I think you're right in that the 2009 team gets a bad wrap: it was certainly better than the 1994 and the 1995 teams that everyone loves and remembers more fondly. And it was almost certainly better than the 2011 team that won the title--and definitely than the 2014 team.

Editing in: "better relative to their peers" is probably the best way to put what I'm arguing.

Reaction Score
Put me in this category. That loss to UCLA is still my number one loss. More than George Mason, more than the six overtimes or Donny's failed free throws or Caron's loss to Maryland.
But UCLA was just better than us. Our loss to Miss. State, Donyell's missed ft's against Florida, and George Mason were so painful because they were all games we should have won and those teams all had legit shots at winning it all.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
charge your phone ffs

ctchamps

Reaction Score
But UCLA was just better than us. Our loss to Miss. State, Donyell's missed ft's against Florida, and George Mason were so painful because they were all games we should have won and those teams all had legit shots at winning it all.
I know that. But those teams were not as exciting as the 95 team. Had it not been a home game I think UConn wins and UCLA was the only team standing in their way.

Additionally that was UConn’s first super team and they were one of my favorite teams . There were no NCs that could console me. So for all those reasons it was the worse loss for me.

Those other losses were very very close and I’m well aware of the failed chances.

Reaction Score
I know that. But those teams were not as exciting as the 95 team. Had it not been a home game I think UConn wins and UCLA was the only team standing in their way.

Additionally that was UConn’s first super team and they were one of my favorite teams . There were no NCs that could console me. So for all those reasons it was the worse loss for me.

Those other losses were very very close and I’m well aware of the failed chances.
True, if Tyus Edney doesn't go the length of the court against Mizzou and or if we play UCLA on a neutral court we are probably cutting down our first net. We got screwed so many times playing road NCAA games, that's why it was so nice playing at MSG in '14.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom