2004 Most Talented Roster Ever | The Boneyard

2004 Most Talented Roster Ever

Reaction Score
With all due respect to 1999, 2009, 2011 and 2014, I have to conclude that 2003-04 was the most talented UConn roster ever. That squad had SEVEN players drafted ultimately by the NBA including SIX first rounders, PLUS Rashad Anderson.

All six first rounders were Studs and Denham Brown was a pretty good player as well. Scary how talented that team was. Jimmy had an eye, that's for sure. Wow, just wow.
Screenshot_20180402-212756.png

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
With all due respect to 1999, 2011 and 2014, I have to conclude that 2003-04 was the most talented UConn roster ever. That squad had SEVEN players drafted ultimately by the NBA including SIX first rounders, PLUS Rashad Anderson.

All six first rounders were Studs and Denham Brown was a pretty good player as well. Scary how talented that team was. Jimmy had an eye, that's for sure. Wow, just wow. View attachment 30365
i'm actually really interested in the Canadian Dog Tuxedo. Glad you posted this

Reaction Score
With all due respect to 1999, 2011 and 2014, I have to conclude that 2003-04 was the most talented UConn roster ever. That squad had SEVEN players drafted ultimately by the NBA including SIX first rounders, PLUS Rashad Anderson.

All six first rounders were Studs and Denham Brown was a pretty good player as well. Scary how talented that team was. Jimmy had an eye, that's for sure. Wow, just wow. View attachment 30365
Your phone's battery level is giving me anxiety. Get that thing on a charger!

Reaction Score
With all due respect to 1999, 2009, 2011 and 2014, I have to conclude that 2003-04 was the most talented UConn roster ever. That squad had SEVEN players drafted ultimately by the NBA including SIX first rounders, PLUS Rashad Anderson.

Caron would’ve been a Senior.. just sayin

Reaction Score
But man that 09 starting five with front court of Hash, Adrien, Sticks; AJ and Dyson on the perimeter; Kemba coming off the bench... that team was so incredibly high-powered. 04 was definitely deeper but I think if they faced each other the 09 team wins. Didn't lose to a team outside #18. Demolished teams including #17 Miami by 13, #25 Wisconsin by 19, #5 Louisville by 17, #23 Cuse by 14. Not to mention two more top 10 wins against Gonzaga and Marquette and 3 more ranked victories on the side

Just did the math and they had an average margin of victory in the regular season and conference tournament of almost 17 points. And it was hardly a down year for the Big East.

I'm biased though as I was at UConn when that team did what they did

Their failing win a NC, getting swept by Pitt, and the 6OT loss to Cuse of all teams affects their perception a lot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But man that 09 starting five with front court of Hash, Adrien, Sticks; AJ and Dyson on the perimeter; Kemba coming off the bench... that team was so incredibly high-powered. 04 was definitely deeper but I think if they faced each other the 09 team wins. Didn't lose to a team outside #18. Demolished teams.

Their failing win a NC, getting swept by Pitt, and the 6OT loss to Cuse affects their perception a lot.
Disagree. 09 probably doesn’t beat UNC at full strength in final but o4 team wins by 12 at least. In fact. The 06 team would have crushed that unc team.

Reaction Score
But man that 09 starting five with front court of Hash, Adrien, Sticks; AJ and Dyson on the perimeter; Kemba coming off the bench... that team was so incredibly high-powered. 04 was definitely deeper but I think if they faced each other the 09 team wins. Didn't lose to a team outside #18. Demolished teams including #17 Miami by 13, #25 Wisconsin by 19, #5 Louisville by 17, #23 Cuse by 14. Just did the math and had an average margin of victory in the regular season and conference tournament of almost 17 points.

Their failing win a NC, getting swept by Pitt, and the 6OT loss to Cuse of all teams affects their perception a lot.

I enjoy the debate, because it's literally all good. 09 is impressive, and I love 99 and 14, but 04 is just incomparable. When Rashad Anderson is on a team with 7 NBA draft picks, that is a mountain of talent.

Reaction Score
Disagree. 09 probably doesn’t beat UNC at full strength in final but o4 team wins by 12 at least. In fact. The 06 team would have crushed that unc team.
Sticks is fine on Green
AJ is fine on Lawson
Dyson is fine on Ellington
Hansborough has absolutely nothing for Hash
Adrien bullies anyone on that roster
JC vs Roy on the sidelines? lol
Deeper with Kemba coming off the bench

Reaction Score
I enjoy the debate, because it's literally all good. 09 is impressive, and I love 99 and 14, but 04 is just incomparable. When Rashad Anderson is on a team with 7 NBA draft picks, that is a mountain of talent.
But we are talking about college teams. I don't think draft picks should matter. When you do that, you imply that the 2014 and 2011 rosters are as talented as 09 as all teams had two draft picks (plus Kemba on 09). And that would be a simply ridiculous claim.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Weird
What about the 04 team losing to unranked Utah by 16? Losing to unranked Providence by 10? Losing to unranked Notre Dame?

When you compare those losses to 09's losses, and compare relative dominance within wins, it's 09 and not even close.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What about the 04 team losing to unranked Utah by 16? Losing to unranked Providence by 10? Losing to unranked Notre Dame?

When you compare those losses to 09's losses, and compare relative dominance within wins, it's 09 and not even close.

Other than the reality March is what matters, sure.

Nobody argues the 06 team because they peaked too early.

If you want to argue the best UConn team isn’t one of the four that won a national championship... well at least you realize it’s
because you were there.

If you want to talk about regular seasons... 1990 was a lot more impressive than 2009.

Reaction Score
That 09` doesnt beat 04`. If Dujuan BLair gave Sheem the business what do you think ok4 would do? 04` simply too deep especially in the frontcourt. JA wouldve had a lot of trouble at his size dealing with Armstrong, charlie, Josh and ok4. Id also take Taliek and Ben over Dyson and Price. Its not a knock on 09` because that was a great team but 04` once Shad got put into the starting lineup that team took off and it was a wrap.
Also id like to add that imho the 04` was one of the best teams id ever seen and would give the 90` UNLV team all it could handle.

Reaction Score

If you want to argue the best UConn team isn’t one of the four that won a national championship... well at least you realize it’s
because you were there.

If you want to talk about regular seasons... 1990 was a lot more impressive than 2009.

The 06 team could have also had AJ, and Bynum if he didnt enter the draft.

Reaction Score

because you were there.
If Dyson wasn't hurt it would have happened. This is about the most talented teams. Full strength 09 team is the best. Not only does 09 lose perception by not winning a NC, 04 gains perception just because they beat Puke on their way to theirs.

I was literally an infant then so I can't speak to that

Reaction Score
But we are talking about college teams. I don't think draft picks should matter. When you do that, you imply that the 2014 and 2011 rosters are as talented as 09 as all teams had two draft picks (plus Kemba on 09).
It's all debatable, that's for sure. I just look at the depth of NBA caliber talent on that roster that played with the number 2 and 3 draft picks. I think those are our highest draft picks ever, and other lottery picks were there as well. A roster of that caliber is not easily attained.

Reaction Score

That team did not lose to Utah by 16 it was Georgia Tech and ok4 was dealing with back issues at the time. We also got to see hat happened in the rematch in the title game which couldve been an embarrassing blow out if not for JC taking his foot off the gas. Also Youre forgetting two very important factors. 1. Ok4 had back issue for a large part of that season and 2. Uconn became a totally different animal once Shad got put in the starting lineup. Even then i dont think that team started to roll until the BE tourney started. BG and Shad just became lights out and it was a wrap. Sure that 09` team would likely beat that 04` team early on but that team that cut down the nets wins a matchup by atleast 10.

Reaction Score
If Dyson wasn't hurt it would have happened. This is about the most talented teams. Full strength 09 team is the best. Not only does 09 lose perception by not winning a NC, 04 gains perception just because they beat Puke on their way to theirs.
09` had a more dominant regular season for sure but by the time that `04 team as clicking on all cylinders it was a whole different ballgame. They were the better team.

Reaction Score
Odd you understood the point but still spoke such conviction.
As you yourself noted I acknowledged my own bias in my first post ITT

But going back on sports-reference I don't buy that 90 had a better regular season and conference tournament (besides them winning it) than 09. 5-3 against ranked teams vs 09's 9-4. 90 had a loss to unranked Nova and blown out (mildly speaking) by 31 to St Johns

Reaction Score

I was literally an infant then so I can't speak to that
'09 is not as good as '99 and '04. I watched every game from all of them and they're just not.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Pure talent 06 might be up there and 12 is underrated. Also 94 with frosh ray and junior Donyell is a strong start.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom