2004 Most Talented Roster Ever | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2004 Most Talented Roster Ever

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
'09 is not as good as '99 and '04. I watched every game from all of them and they're just not.

Couldn't agree more. 1999 and 2004, we were clearly 1 of the top 2 teams in the country, start to finish. Not so for 2009.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
'09 is not as good as '99 and '04. I watched every game from all of them and they're just not.

I agree, those are our 2 best TEAMS.

Our 2 most talented, I’m not sure 99 is there. But then we’re talking nuances of what you define as “talented.”

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. 1999 and 2004, we were clearly 1 of the top 2 teams in the country, start to finish. Not so for 2009.
LOL you mean like how the 09 team was in the top 5 every week from week 3 on and spent the vast majority of that time ranked 1-2?

Y'all are letting your hate for Puke cloud your judgment.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As you yourself noted I acknowledged my own bias in my first post ITT

But going back on sports-reference I don't buy that 90 had a better regular season and conference tournament (besides them winning it) than 09. 5-3 against ranked teams vs 09's 9-4. 90 had a loss to unranked Nova and blown out (mildly speaking) by 31 to St Johns

You don’t get how much better college basketball teams were in 1990 than they were in 2009.

It’s good that you do realize winning the BET is better than losing in the quarterfinals.

Some people seem to have taken up the 09 team’s cause because they like to play what if with the Dyson injury. They can play pretend that the FF loss to MSU wasn’t as miserable as it was.

Even giving 09 every benefit of the doubt I don’t see anyway to conclude that the roster was better than 99, 04 or 06.

Not only do 99 and 04 immediately look better on paper... they actually... you know... won.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've posted all the reasons why already but no sense in going through it again. You already said you were an infant when UConn was first winning championships. Leave it to us older folks.

Reaction Score
I've posted all the reasons why already but no sense in going through it again. You already said you were an infant when UConn was first winning championships. Leave it to us older folks.
Wanna leave it to us young folks to quote posts correctly?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
LOL you mean like how the 09 team was in the top 5 every week from week 3 on and spent the vast majority of that time ranked 1-2?

They weren't clearly one of the top 2 teams start to finish, junior. I mean, they didn't finish in the top 2. But they just weren't as good. Pretty obvious.

The 2004 team would've kicked the living crap out of the 2009 team.

And it's funny you're using Basketball Reference to argue against people who watched games. "LOL."

Reaction Score

Can't believe you are still arguing this, without being dinged up for a couple games UConn had a great chance of going undefeated in '99 and beat what many considered one of the best all-time college teams. Rip was so much better than anyone on '09 and El-Amin was also better than anyone on that squad. Same goes for Okafor and Gordon.

Reaction Score
They weren't clearly one of the top 2 teams start to finish, junior.

The 2004 team would've kicked the living crap out of the 2009 team.

You're using Basketball Reference to argue against people who watched games. "LOL."
No need to get upset with the "junior" talk, tweetums

I used sports reference to talk about the 90 team and no other. I don't buy any of these team kicking the living crap out of each other and you demonstrate further bias by claiming such. Thanks for bringing this back to head-to-head match-ups though which is where my point really starts

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No need to get upset with the "junior" talk, tweetums

I used sports reference to talk about the 90 team and no other. I don't buy any of these team kicking the living crap out of each other and you demonstrate further bias by claiming such. Thanks for bringing this back to head-to-head match-ups though which is where my point really starts

I’d like to see 04 play 09 just to watch Okafor tool on Thabeet.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
No need to get upset, bud

I used sports reference to talk about the 90 team and no other. I don't buy either team kicking the crap out of other. Thanks for bringing this back to head-to-head match-ups though which is where my point really starts

Nothing gets under my skin more on boards like this than when an adult male starts a post with "LOL" -- and it's particularly annoying when the person is mocking what, for good reason, is the general consensus.

The 2004 team, once it was healthy, destroyed every team that didn't start Redick, Deng, Shelden Williams, Ewing and Duhon.

And the 1999 team beat an even better Duke team. I hate Duke but if that clouded my judgment I wouldn't admit how good those teams were.

Edit: Unbelievable that you edited your post to make your insult harsher. Very mature. I had to look at Urban Dictionary to see what you were trying to say.

Reaction Score
Sticks is fine on Green
AJ is fine on Lawson
Dyson is fine on Ellington
Hansborough has absolutely nothing for Hash
Adrien bullies anyone on that roster
JC vs Roy on the sidelines? lol
Deeper with Kemba coming off the bench

Lawson would have blown by AJ with ease and Hansbrough would have had Thabeet in foul trouble before the under 12 in the 1st half (Hansbrough has the most FTA in college history by over 100 and averaged like 9 FTA a game for his college career). And it's not like Dyson would be swatting Ellington corner 3s...

Reaction Score
Nothing gets under my skin more on boards like this than when an adult male starts a post with "LOL" -- and it's particularly annoying when the person is mocking what, for good reason, is the general consensus.
I was implying that, if this were happening in real life, I would immediately start laughing at this notion that the 09 team is allegedly not included in the group of prior UConn teams who were clearly in the top 1-2 all year. Not sure why it gets under your skin. Lighten up, big guy.

Good job not needing urban dictionary to decipher that acronym.
The 2004 team, once it was healthy, destroyed every team that didn't start Redick, Deng, Shelden Williams, Ewing and Duhon.
And if healthy, the 09 team wins a NC and there's next to no debate.

And the 1999 team beat an even better Duke team. I hate Duke but if that clouded my judgment I wouldn't admit how good those teams were.
Hating a team hardly disables one from acknowledging how good they were.

Edit: Unbelievable that you edited your post to make your insult harsher. Very mature. I had to look at Urban Dictionary to see what you were trying to say.
INCONCEIVABLE. ASTONISHING. PREPOSTERIOUS. OUTLANDISH. COCKAMAMIE.

I'm not great with taking the high road. And it only became an insult after the edit; there was no prior insult that was heightened by said edit.

Go to bed, Ramon

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was implying that, if this were happening in real life, I would immediately start laughing at this notion that the 09 team is allegedly not included in the group of prior UConn teams who were clearly in the top 1-2 all year. Not sure why it gets under your skin. Lighten up, big guy.

I'm not great with taking the high road. And it only became an insult after the edit; there was no prior insult that was heightened by said edit.

Go to bed, Ramon

Can you get mercury poisioning from kale?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wrong, you're supposed to assert that I'm B12 deficient

And miss the last 5 minutes of this barnburner?

UNLV’s best team might have beaten this Michigan team by 60.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Go to bed, Ramon

I don't believe the 2009 was much, if at all better, with Dyson. And with or without him, they don't sniff the 2004 team's jock.

Still not sure why you're laughing at something that's a fact. They didn't make the Championship game for . Hence, not in top 2.

I think here's where millennials say "Take the L."

Reaction Score
And miss the last 5 minutes of this barnburner?

UNLV’s best team might have beaten this Michigan team by 60.
Came out of nowhere. I said in the actual thread that I can't root for anything assocaited with Philadelphia but few enough people care about Nova basketball there. I think I'm gonna be more pleased seeing disappointed Michigan fans.

Where's @nelsonmuntz who told us all to stay far away from this game? Must've been feeling extra smart lately by apparently learning a new term "backdoor cover"

Reaction Score

Go to bed, Ramon
You simply don't know how to take the L. I love how there is no debate the '09 team wins the championship if Dyson doesn't go down. This has become comical, '09 UConn probably would have beaten the Lakers with a healthy Dyson as well.

Reaction Score
I don't believe the 2009 was much, if at all better, with Dyson. And with or without him, they don't sniff the 2004 team's jock.

Still not sure why you're laughing at something that's a fact. They didn't make the Championship game for .
"That's just, like, your opinion, man". Not fact.

Am I bridging generations adequately enough there for you?

We also verbalize when things make us cringe, which, yeah, right here. Cringe .

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Still not sure why you're laughing at something that's a fact. They didn't make the Championship game for .

Certainly getting Dyson back didn’t save them in the future.

I sat right behind the bench at that St John’s debacle in the BET.

Until this year that was the gold standard for UConn team that wanted to be put out of their misery.

Reaction Score
Nobody has even brought up how much that '09 Michigan State team sucked.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Dude just said "Cringe " to try to look cool.

You do realize that it's a "fact" that you're not in the top 2 if you lose in the Final Four, right? I do like Lebo, though. Great movie, great quote.

Reaction Score

But 09 UConn winning the title with Dyson is a fact?

Reaction Score
Your lack of self awareness is pretty hilarious. Dude just said "Cringe " to try to look cool, folks.
Grasp harder. I just knew you'd react to that because you can't help your miserable self.

Do you not know how to count to 2? You do realize that it's a "fact" that you're not in the top 2 if you lose in the Final Four, right?
The only thing I'm not getting here is why you're getting so upset. The internet may not be for you if you get this triggered over an "LOL".

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom