2/17 Coaches Poll Out - UCONN Not Unanimous at #1 | The Boneyard

2/17 Coaches Poll Out - UCONN Not Unanimous at #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Well I find that thought process interesting. Last week, the day after the win over SC, UCONN was unanimous at #1. This week they lose one first place vote (given back to SC). What thought process in some coaches mind leads to that change?
Poll

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Someone obviously was smoking some serious crack (or other drug), or they had a nervous breakdown and lost all link to reality. Those are the only 2 explanations I can come up with. Anyone else have a good reason?! :p

JS

Reaction Score
Anyone else have a good reason?! :p
I have it on good authority that the coach who voted SC #1 was locked in an equipment storage room for a week by team members who wanted time off from practice.

She emerged just in time to vote, saying "I'm going to keep voting for South Carolina until they lose."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well I find that thought process interesting. Last week, the day after the win over SC, UCONN was unanimous at #1. This week they lose one first place vote (given back to SC). What Thought process in some coaches mind leads to that change?
Poll
Maybe they missed the game (SC)??? UCONN only beat Tulane by 48?? One of them is braindead?? One of the coaches kid got on the coach's account (likes red better than blue)??

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Very simple. The Gamecocks have won 2 games since the big match while UConn has only won one. Clearly the Huskies are on a bad trend here, but if they can manage to keep winning they will catch up to USCar by March 2, when presumably they will both have 6-0 records since the game on Feb. 9.

Reaction Score
Weird. SC has played LSU and Vanderbilt since they played us. Was thinking being fresh off an SC beat-down might influence a coach, but neither of those coaches is a poll voter. ???

Reaction Score
I'm more confused by the fact that they changed their vote since voting FOR UConn last week. Very weird. I wonder what change their mind in the past week?

Reaction Score
Well I find that thought process interesting. Last week, the day after the win over SC, UCONN was unanimous at #1. This week they lose one first place vote (given back to SC). What thought process in some coaches mind leads to that change?
Poll
After further analysis, he/she realized that although UConn was favored in the game by 10 and won by 25, South Carolina was actually ahead of UConn in the game for a full 90 seconds. I guess that's worth more than we thought! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Could it possibly be a case where a coach can't vote for his/her own team???

If not, the offending coach should be outed so a proper fitting for the straight jacket can commence.

Reaction Score
I'm more confused by the fact that they changed their vote since voting FOR UConn last week. Very weird. I wonder what change their mind in the past week?
Maybe the voter had some of that action Mr. Wilson had - i.e., SC and 24 points.:)

Reaction Score
Guess that means the team will need to administer another 25 point beat down to the team some are still voting #1. Sorry, Dawn. Don't blame Geno when he leaves his starters in until there's a minute left. He's just trying to set the record straight.

Reaction Score
can't beat us on the floor, so resort to backstabbing backroom tactics.
Another "Great" WBB coach sticks the knife into an opponent that cannot be beat on the floor.
Must feel good about themselves in a slimy dark hidden way. Imagine how this coach treats their players.

Reaction Score
i know who it was - it was A Wilson's dad. That picture of him pointing a finger at a Stewie look alike was not really Stewie, but it was one of the voters. That person was scarred and voted for SC.

Reaction Score
You know, I could almost understand if somebody voted for Baylor or Princeton if they couldn't bring themselves to vote for UConn.
But to vote for the team that had just been soundly beaten? (And with no injured player etc excuse)
That's just Stupid.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Maybe one of the voters just checked a wrong box or something as simple as that.

Or it could be that, like the SEC announcers said, South Carolina showed they are back with their decisive 24-point at-home win against LSU, which is significantly better than their on-the-road 24-point win at LSU earlier in the season. Oh, wait ... never mind.

Reaction Score
One vote, so it is singular not plural! There is one crazy vote, not a bunch of them...Anyway to find out who that could be and we can all make fun of her(him)?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Poll
Can we get The Horde looking into this? This is not only cowardly but a black eye against WBB. How can we expect anyone to take WBB seriously. A 25 point beat down convinces you one week and a week later you change your mind- Really?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Another very strong possibility is that it was a simple mistake, since you can't say for sure who does the voting and it may have been an oversight by a coach's staff member. It may happen just like last year that the one vote for UConn in the AP Writer's poll switched from a #1 in the preseason to a #2 in Week 2 and then back to a #1. Somebody had some brain flatulence.

Back in 2002 it was well known that much of the voting on the men's Coaches BB poll was done by someone else at the university like an AD or an assistant coach or a staff member on a rotated schedule. Whether Rick Majerus of Utah had ever done his own voting is unknown, but while he was attending to his cancer stricken mother in 2002 he left the voting task to an assistant who kept raising the Temple team (Majerus and Chaney were good friends) even though the Owls were losing game after game. After Temple got a top 10 vote with a 6-12 record, ESPN put its foot down and took the vote away from Utah. Majerus said he head no idea what was going on. Coaches with votes may pay a little more attention since then, but during busy recruitment periods they may not have a clue who "they" are voting for.

Reaction Score
LOL it mustve come from the SEC ???????????????//

Only 1 SEC voter: Kristy Curry from Alabama.

It looks like there's 1 voter from each conference (SMU representing the American).

Things to keep in mind:
(1) The coaches poll is historically terrible
(2) There have been reports, in FB at least, of assistants or even the athletic director filling out the poll.
(3) Could've been a typo. It happens.

(4) Why does it matter?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
(4) Why does it matter?
Because this is a D1 coach casting a vote that defy logic. He/She should be held accountable for the integrity of the game. Newspaper homer I could understand but this is someone of the Profession- Unbelievable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom