1st Team vs 2nd Team | Page 6 | The Boneyard

1st Team vs 2nd Team

Reaction Score
Those were a few highlights vs. Penn State and some others. Adama’s footwork worked vs everyone.

Greater strength than Adama? I need to see a video of something moving Adama. Until then, I’ll give Adama the respect I feel he is due and say … I hope Tarris develops to the point where he has 75% of the footwork and bball strength as Adama.
Reed has 20 lbs and multiple inches on Adama.
I'd be surprised if Diarra starts for the same reason I'd be surprised if Samson starts. I think both of their skill sets are best utilized in spurts off the bench. And in Diarra's case I think Hurley also knows that based on his comments this off-season
Disagree on Diarra - his deep knowledge of the system at the 1 on this young team trumps his bench value. He’s also a leader.

Reed is not Adama, but he has really nice footwork and touch for his size. He’s also significantly larger than Adama. What's he’s lacked is structure, and he’ll be be getting lots of that this season. As long as he has the work ethic, can see a significant pop in his game playing for this staff.

Reaction Score
I’ve watched 5 or 6 full games and Reed had some really really bad moments on offense with catching the ball and traveling but his defense was much better than I expected

I can’t wrap my head around this kid being the 5th option on the worst team in the B10 and one of the worst teams in all college basketball to all of a sudden starting for a top 5 team.

Reaction Score
I can’t wrap my head around this kid being the 5th option on the worst team in the B10 and one of the worst teams in all college basketball to all of a sudden starting for a top 5 team.
With all the other options that seemed to be out there i was surprised we jumped on him so quick but Dan has earned my trust by now

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The Reed fanatics need to watch some full games, not just highlights. Samsons highlights make him look like a lottery pick. There's a bunch on Youtube if people genuinely want to understand the level of player he was.

It's obvious why we took him in(potential, size, cultural fit), but comparisons to Sanogo are insulting at this moment. They aren't in the same stratosphere as of Reeds last season.

Mahaney and Diarra are starting game 1. We need their ball handling at the 1 and 2 spots. I think the fight is between Solo/Stewart/McNeeley at the 3.

Gonna be fun to see who wins the 9th rotation spot between Nowell/Ross/Abraham.
I don't think anyone said he was already performing like Sanogo; more like potentially becoming like Sanogo because of his physicality and athleticism.

Just maybe the staff had this in mind when they reached out to him. In his own right he could very well reach that level or even better.

Trust the staff. We've got the best in college bb.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Plenty of opportunities to have seen Mahaney and Reed play, especially Mahaney since he's been on a good team the past 2 years. The BY underrating Mahaney just like they did Spencer last year because they couldn't be bothered to watch other teams play.

They’re not underrating the new guys. Certain fans hate when new players come in and take the starting role from guys who have been here. It’s happened in the past with certain players. Your starting spot is earned not given

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone said he was already performing like Sanogo; more like potentially becoming like Sanogo because of his physicality and athleticism.

Just maybe the staff had this in mind when they reached out to him. In his own right he could very well reach that level or even better.

Trust the staff. We've got the best in college bb.

Thank you. Certain posters like to ignore certain key words like - can or potentially

Reaction Score
Thank you. Certain posters like to ignore certain key words like - can or potentially
Yeah they probably do that because of course it can potentially happen, anything that happens once every billion trillion times is still something that can potentially happen. People are going to interpret your post as saying it's somewhat likely to happen, and they are saying they don't think it's likely. It's not too tough to grasp.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yeah they probably do that because of course it can potentially happen, anything that happens once every billion trillion times is still something that can potentially happen. People are going to interpret your post as saying it's somewhat likely to happen, and they are saying they don't think it's likely. It's not too tough to grasp.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Not to hijack this thread any further, but I don't think Musk has an issue embedding tweets. I'm not an expert on this but the issue seems to be that the code written for XenForo just hasn't caught up with the new X site, which was formerly Twitter. As you mentioned that should be fixed in the new edition of XenForo.

O.K. back to the original topic of this thread......

Musk stated even before buying twitter that he had plans to charge for the right to embed tweets.

He buys twitter, and now ALL sites wanting to embed tweets have to update their script. It won't be long before he does charge all sites for the right to embed tweets.

Only a fool will react every time he snaps his fingers. The best I will do is tell people to change x.com to twitter.com.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would think that the coaching staff would hammer those bad travels out of Reed if that is possible. They’ve already seen footage of his mistakes and have planned his rehab. They should Adamasize his footwork. Adama had some footwork didn’t he?

Reaction Score
My math says we're more like 25%.
Rothstein post relating to teams future success. Mahoney is not included in this? Reed? They ARE returning just not from our team but they certainly should count. So should Liam who is returning from 5 star land.

Reaction Score
My math says we're more like 25%.
Your math is wrong then. His tweet is misleading since it's calculated based on minutes and not scoring though, and he's also missing Singare's minutes. We return 44% of our minutes and 37% of our scoring

Reaction Score
Probably. In my mind he deserves 20+mpg like Stewart. If he can play some 3 or if Mahaney plays a bit more at the 1, that will open things up for him.
If predicting minutes, 200 total:

Hassan - 25
Nowell - 10
Mahaney - 25
Solo - 25
McNeely - 25
Alex - 28
Jaylen - 22
Reed - 23
Samson 17

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’ve watched 5 or 6 full games and Reed had some really really bad moments on offense with catching the ball and traveling but his defense was much better than I expected
This was the takeaway I had as well.

He’s not as polished offensively as his best plays will make people believe. For every incredible shimmy and drop step, there’s a travel. He had a 21% turnover rate. His hands are a well established concern.

That said, if Dan figures out how to best utilize his gifts, he could be a really solid role player offensively. He sets monster screens, a vertical threat at 265 pounds somehow, and our guards should lay off plenty of easy finishing opportunities. The occasional post up or self created offense is gravy as far as I’m concerned.

Excited to see if he’ll get even better defensively for us. That side of the ball was why Michigan couldn’t keep him off the floor, and it might be the separator for him in his battle with Johnson.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Clingan replaced Sanogo defensively, albeit in a different scheme. He did not completely replace his offense.

AJs offense was easily replaced and his individual defensive contributions were replaced by a more complete team defense.

The stunner that turned a lark of a repeat campaign into an inevitability was no only replacing Hawkins scoring (and clutch scoring) with a freaking tornado of offensive options. Any one of which could match the best of Hawk on any given night.

If the threepeat train is going anywhere, we need to at least come close defensively, (not obvious atm) and come close offensively which will require a credible inside threat and dynamic perimeter threats that can score at all three levels. I don't see that either.

Maybe Hurely can shuffle the deck again to find a winning formula, but this year is not last year with only one major contributor returning. It may turn on how much better Diarra, Samson and the other role players are against top teams.

Reaction Score
The Reed fanatics need to watch some full games, not just highlights. Samsons highlights make him look like a lottery pick. There's a bunch on Youtube if people genuinely want to understand the level of player he was.

It's obvious why we took him in(potential, size, cultural fit), but comparisons to Sanogo are insulting at this moment. They aren't in the same stratosphere as of Reeds last season.

Mahaney and Diarra are starting game 1. We need their ball handling at the 1 and 2 spots. I think the fight is between Solo/Stewart/McNeeley at the 3.

Gonna be fun to see who wins the 9th rotation spot between Nowell/Ross/Abraham.
I really can't see Solo playing the 3 much. Rebounding is going to be a challenge and having 3 on the court that are 6'3" and under won't help. I think Ball's minutes are at the 2 unless he has really improved his ball handling and passing skills.

Reaction Score
Getting this thread back on the tracks, well sort of. Although the 2024-25 team might not be the best we've ever had, it might be the deepest if the players develop and successfully learn to execute Hurley's offense and defense. If you were to select the top 5 players and match them up against the next 5, and they scrimmaged a bunch of times I'd bet the outcome might be close to a 50/50 split.

The only question I have is will a couple or a few players learn to consistently make plays and shots during winning time and when opponents mount a run on them. I think the talent is there to do so, but it takes having players who are able to keep their heart rate down, their mind focused and their emotions in check.

We got that last season from Newton and Spencer, and at times from Karaban, Diarra and Castle. There were so many clutch plays made by different players each game, though Tristen and Cam seemed to knock down some huge shots when needed most that simply tore the hearts out of their opponents. It's one of the reasons that we often won by double digits even when teams closed the gap with a late run.

caw

Reaction Score
After watching a few Michigan games, I am not sure how anyone can come away with any conclusion on Reed. That Michigan team was horrendous both offensively and defensively. Bad passing from pretty much every position with little movement after an initial action. Defensively most players look lost, or winded, or both. Struggling to get back on their player with just basic single off ball screens. It was like no one actually know what kind of defensive scheme they were running.

Reaction Score
If the threepeat train is going anywhere, we need to at least come close defensively, (not obvious atm) and come close offensively which will require a credible inside threat and dynamic perimeter threats that can score at all three levels. I don't see that either.
How do you not see it offensively? I’m not worried about offense at all next year. We will be an even better shooting team than we were this year. I am concerned about D tho.

caw

Reaction Score
How do you not see it offensively? I’m not worried about offense at all next year. We will be an even better shooting team than we were this year. I am concerned about D tho.

Agreed, though it really comes down to the giant elephant that vacated the room. UConn doesn't need Reed/Samson to be Clingan but they do need to at least bring defense at the level of Adama.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom