195-0 in the headlights again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

195-0 in the headlights again

Reaction Score
So am I the only one who thinks that it isn't a lock that we win a natty this year. I like our chances with our personnel and coaching staff, but then again I always do. Any of South Carolina, Florida State, Baylor and Maryland can beat us.
Have to agree with the others as possibles, but how does Florida State get in there? There is no comparison between our team in that first game and now.

Reaction Score
Dont forget, the FF is in Dallas. Although not the home to either Baylor or Texas I would think having to face either or possibly both, in Texas, is less than playing on a neutral court.
This is a really important point. If, somehow, TX and Baylor can make it to the Final Four -- of evn if only one does -- it'll be close to a home game for either or both.

Reaction Score
The only two teams that I worry about are Baylor and Texas! Baylor because of all their height and a very good guard and Texas because they beat Baylor and haven't lost since they played UCONN.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The only two teams that I worry about are Baylor and Texas! Baylor because of all their height and a very good guard and Texas because they beat Baylor and haven't lost since they played UCONN.
Until just now with a last seconds loss to Oklahoma

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I like your upbeat attitude towards UC Women. Your positive spin on the year and the 1,2,3,4 th off the bench --they did Geno, uconn and us fans proud. Not perfect but neither was the starting 5. Speaking of which those 5 exceeded the expectation of Geno, Fans, Muffet, Kim, the Women's basketball world and the Vegas point setters.
The only 195 and Zero MAY BE--Rt 195 not having an accident this week (if they haven't already). 50 games between now and end of next year--total (maybe) 151 then 39 the next and 1 the next for 195---that is inclusive of 3 seasons--without a loss????? Possible--not probable!!!! Yet I am the first to say Never say never..

Reaction Score
When I saw your 195-win number, I was underwhelmed. Why? I had to think about it. Then it dawned on me that the number of wins w/out losses isn't the objective of the game. Every season there are 2 primary goals: first, win the conference; two, win the NC. UConn has had losses and still won the NC; it has even lost the conference championship and won the NC. Winning the NC is what it's all about—however it's done. I know Geno agrees because he's said so on more than one occasion. When the NC banner goes up, it makes no mention of the W/L record.

That being said, I agree with you that the upward limit to the team's success (both this year and next) is incalculable. With next year's recruits plus Azura and Batouly, I expect the Huskies to be unbeatable by any team in the country—and for at least 4 years. So: 150 and 200 are possible. But the winning may be become beside the point: the beauty and precision of Geno's teams will have to be enough. Of course, what's good for the goose is bad for WCBB. Tough. :p

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think we have three tough games this spring...the 2nd game in the regionals (the one Geno always fears) and the final-4.

Assuming we get through the first hurdle (and I think we will), the final-4 is always a potential crapshoot
(even if traditionally, that is not the case for this program).
Speaking about super bad mojo; Geno is quoted in the Times today as if he expects a win.

I'm not saying the team is better than (say), that of the South Florida game, but is rather, wiser and more stubborn in not letting setbacks cause them to lose focus and heart...knowing that any 2 or 3 of the starting five can take over the leadership of a game and through sheer force of will, dominate.

At the same time, individual skills and confidence have risen to all-tme highs...no more talk of Saniya having a good week, a good month...Pheesa, understanding that she can score on anyone and Gabby...what more can be said about her?...except that Geno knows that he has yet more to teach her.

It's a unique group, one that I will remember forever....But even now, they still have no business winning the National Championship; let's not forget that. It's a team that wills itself to win; in the very best UConn tradition, but others have avenues in as well.

Then the reload...The only games I fear are the first two or three against top competition. If they come together smoothly, Tony and Kara may very well to be correct in their inflationary predictions.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Clearly I do...and you're messing with it!
Nope, rookie mistake. Over confidence offends the mojo.

Reaction Score
When you have one of the best ( if not the best ) WCBB coaches of all time, who pretty much gets his choice of recruits each year, why should this be a big surprise. Of course basketball is a funny game with upsets possible under the tight conditions so nothing is a sure thing. But for UConn it's about as sure as it might get.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
To answer the OP's subject in the thread - "195-0 in the headlights again"... NO. Not until this season is over if UCONN wins the NC. The game today showed that with a player down, shots not falling, per Geno, "kids pouting", on the road, we barely escaped against... Tulane. I wish we would put this stuff to rest until the season is over and/if we win the NC...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tony, Tony, Tony.

SMALLS.jpg

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
195-0 looks like a very good possibility again barring health issuers and foul trouble. This years team is a true picture of how basketball was ment to be played. A surprise to everyone that this team is undefeated. This years team has shown that height doesnt matter. This years team has shown that you need to know how to play the game an unselfish game.

So when is our next real challenge. Well every game is a challenge. Hey I remember losing to Nova, Stanford and St Johns so every game is a challenge. But this team is different. The only flaw in this years team is depth and right now we're not looking as weak in that dept as we were a few months ago. Our non starters are getting play time and putting up results. Still foul trouble could pose a problem. So we have 4 games left in the regular season, the conference tourney and the NCAAs. UConn has proven themselves throughout the season when challenged especially when that had to face early on Murders Row and then last week against SC.

This was suppose to be a down year for UConn. This was suppose to be the year when opponents could get UConn. Guess what it didnt happen. This team has answered very doubt with a win many convincing. So now we look ahead with 2 transfers coming in along with a very powerful freshman class. Camara transferred from Kentucky. At 6'2 a strong rebounder and a player UConn was recruiting. Ive heard nothing but great things about her from friends in NY. Stevens who Doris Burke said Geno could turn into one of the greatest players in WCBB. Stevens has it all and I agree Geno can make her one of the all time greats but he has only two years to do it as she comes in next season as a junior and Camara as a soph. Then our freshman class lead by the number 1 player in the country Megan Walker and after that we have a verbal from Charli Collier a 6'5 post and I would expect a couple of really good wings/guards. Then following year Im hearing Sam Burnelle and Danielle Cosgrove both about 6'4 want to play for UConn. It wont get any easier for opponents .

So Ive resonated my 195-0 prediction again and I expect to take some flack again and thats ok. Looking ahead barring health problems foul trouble and injuries. I see it as a reality. Other teams have improved unfortunately for our opponents so has UConn and remember this. We beat MD at MD with Lou sick and our top players in foul trouble. We beat SC with Nurse sitting most of the game and Lou not having a good shooting night. So what does it take to beat this team????? IMO they can only beat themselves. The Regionals and FF will be their next big tests.

Geno has set the bar so high that it is only reachable by him. His teams continue to get better and this years team proves he has a few names on his team that werent top 10 coming out of high school. Geno has set the bar up there in LA LA Land...so high that most teams can only dream of reaching it. I would expect many top teams not wanting to play UConn over the next few years knowing their chances of beating UConn are very slim. Many teams will try to avoid playing UConn. This kinda fear can not help them if they face UConn in the NCAAs. This season many teams are hoping not to be an 8 seed and be shipped to CT for the regionals .

Well some fans and media may not like that the regional is in CT. IMO thats too bad. UConn draws and your team doesnt. UConn is money and prime time TV. I heard some coaches complain they want more TV time. Well my answer to those coaches is make your team better, start drawing fans like UConn does and show your at a level close to UConn. You cant expect TV to follow your team when your own fans dont show up in the thousands for every game. UConn fans are addicted to UCWBB. They follow them everywhere. Every game is televised every game draws thousands.

Finally 100-0. With all the great players and all the great teams and this team the only team many doubted is standing at 100-0 and counting. Clearly Geno's greatest accomplishment.

Not so fast Tony, still have to play the games. Ask Tulane.

Reaction Score
The bad mojo is all over the place now, and I'm worried. First the White House comments, and I'll say nothing more about them than that, and now some folks want to discuss 195-0 as if it were a breeze. It ceased to be a breeze as soon as people started talking about it.

Whatever happened to Geno -- remember Geno, the guy that at least a few people on this board idolize (and not without reason)? He's the guy that tries to get the team to stay in the moment, to play game to game, to focus only on the game that's in front of them.We all could learn a thing or two from him.

Preach! You are prescient my friend. Let the Tulane game be a warning to all mojo poo-poo-ers

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom