#19/#23 UConn @ Memphis@ FedEx Park (Fri. 5/4@7:30p EST, Sat.5/5@6:40 EST & Sun. 5/6@2p EST) Updated | Page 9 | The Boneyard

#19/#23 UConn @ Memphis@ FedEx Park (Fri. 5/4@7:30p EST, Sat.5/5@6:40 EST & Sun. 5/6@2p EST) Updated

Reaction Score

... and promptly gets doubled off first on a hard liner to third by Feldstein.

Reaction Score
PJ strikes out the side. Ballgame over! UConn wins 2-0.

5th straight conference series win!

C3D865D5-116E-4242-8589-8360D5D32552.jpeg

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Glad to see your back for your once or twice visit with your usual dig. Go back to your battles with everyone on the basketball board. By the way my issues aren't with the team, they are mainly with the head coach's decisions.

No, I’m going to stay here and enjoy discussing a team who gives me great pride and enjoyment with other like-minded people. If Jim Penders makes following UConn baseball so miserable for you, why do you voluntarily put yourself through this?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I agree and that's the problem I have with stain. It's okay for him to come out here and criticize players and even people on this board, but he always jumps on you if he disagrees with your criticism of something.

Several years ago, you voiced sentiments in favor of looking for a new HC — I remember having to pore through the records of recently fired high-major coaches in order to provide a numerical basis for how insane that was. If anything, you get off quite easy here. This weekend is the only time in my four years here I’ve seen anyone other than myself point out how the overwhelming negativity of your commentary has less and less to do with the team’s actual performance.

By all means, continue to treat a mistimed steal of third or a refusal to insert a little-used reliever into the game as fatal flaws. You are not entitled to do so without criticism from any who disagree. This is not your safe space.

Reaction Score
Houston pulls ahead 4-3 in the bottom of the 8th

Edit: UCF with a leadoff double to start the top of the 9th

Reaction Score
You can win a goodly number of games with pitching and defense, and from what I can tell from the thread tonight, UConn had both in this game. There is another significance to UConn pitching throwing a shutout tonight. A shutout means that the pitching staff gets to play with bats again, and take a collective batting practice. Usually such an event gets featured on the UConn baseball twitter feed when the batting practice takes place.

Reaction Score
Huskies Clinch Fifth-Straight American Series, 2-0

Notes:
  • Zac Susi reached base for the 30th-straight game. The junior has failed to reach base in just one game this season, reaching in 36 of his 37 contests.
  • P.J. Poulin is tied for third all-time in single-season history with his 12 save of the year. John Russell set the save record last season with 14 saves.
  • The Huskies pitching staff captured its fourth shutout of the season.
  • UConn clinched its fifth-straight conference series for the first time since 2011. In 2011, the Huskies won all nine Big East Conference series they played.

Reaction Score
Here's the value of road wins to the RPI. Even though Memphis is flirting with 200 in the RPI, UConn with its two road victories has not lost any ground in the RPI, they are currently at 12.

UConn is currently in 2nd place in the AAC. I have to thin the Huskies chances of being an NCAA tourney host are much better if the Huskies finish in the top 2 spots in the conference.

Cincinnati is currently at 118 in the RPI. If the Bearcats make a little run in the final weeks of the season, than the AAC could have 8 teams in the RPI 100.

Reaction Score

Hope Mom and Dad Kersten make their way to Hartford next week if he pitches like that in front of them ;)

Coach Penders very effusive with praise for Jeff Kersten, saying he does everything for the team, performing in any role, and also doing things like moving tarps. The one thing Penders did not mention was his snowman making capabilities when J.O. Christian Field had a layer of snow on it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom