17U trials in Colorado | Page 9 | The Boneyard

17U trials in Colorado

Reaction Score
How much time do you have? Just remember you asked.
In 2015 Rellah Boothe in the estimation of some of the people who were in the gym at USA U16 trials was the best player and did not make the team. Those people included Mark Lewis and Mike Flynn. That U16 would go on to win Silver in Mexico and the team lead was AEH. This caused all kinds off nuts to come out of the wood work including:
1) YouTube video with highlights of Rellah from the trials the title of which was "Grown Woman" the implication being she was a "grown woman" playing among girls.
2) Rellah came to national prominence at an Adidas tournament in spring of 2014, since USA basketball is Nike sponsored a few of the nuts pointed to that angle as a reason why she was cut.
3) Rellah's personality. In HS Rellah was on a very talented team that actually beat Crystal Dangerfield's team when they were ranked #1 in the country but she did not play well with other and was guoted as saying she needs to work on her body language and temper. She would later transfer from that high school and enroll in IMG Academy.
4) Regional bias for USA basketball. The U16 team from which Rellah was cut featured 4 players from Texas 2 from California, two from Ohio and Zero from the entire South. Some of the other nuts pointed this out as proof that the selection committee clearly had a bias against players from the South.
5) Rellah's handlers the ones responsible for the YouTube video and her enrollment at IMG were putting off many college coaches in the recruiting process and advising her in the worse way. The advise was so bad that by the time Rellah secured a college scholarship she was saying stuff like this: I'm going to average 45 points a game this season. ... "I'm not expecting 40-0 right away,"

it's a really sad story because she is extremely talented........I thought she actually played fairly well when Texas played Baylor and were "forced" to play Rellah due to injuries and foul trouble...........attitude plays so much of an important role in life and she is a perfect example of superior talent not winning out.........I hope she gets her act together in JuCo and makes it back to the DI world in better shape (physically and mentally) then she left it......

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The Premiere Basketball Report trio with their thoughts on the trials, player evals, omissions, etc:

SHANE LAFLIN

Haley Jones
– To me, hands down, the best player at the U17 Trials overall. There is not a part of the floor in which she is uncomfortable. She is a two-way player and displays IQ on both ends. She rebounds, she defends, she is a good passer, and has the skills to score the ball in a variety of ways.. Having been cut here before, she could have easily pressed a bit, but she is cool and calm at all times. She is smooth with the ball in her hands.. and knows the subtleties of playing without the ball. Her versatility is very key… absolute HOOPER.

Paige Bueckers– She loves to play.. and it screams from the floor. Another player that seems to be collected at all times and versatile at the guard spot.. With a frame that some could think needs strength, she finishes extremely well with contact and in traffic. The J is smooth.. She is crafty and uses her size and length well on the defensive end. She is the right mix of flash and fundamentals and I had to use the phrase “Pistol Paige (Bueckers) Maravich” several times this weekend – and in no way do I think I’m the first one to make that comparison.

Cameron Brink– Of my five, this one is admittedly the one based the most on upside – but that is not to say the current production should be dismissed. When I see tools, size and athleticism + that look in a player’s eye that says they have high expectations for themselves, I can vibe a bit more with the “projection” talk. Cameron is a sponge and in talking the game with her, she understands basketball concepts at a very high level. She was great in the trail spot here and always leaves her mark defensively. She showed us flashes of the upside on a couple long range jumpers.. As she gains strength and then patience in her post/extended post/high post touches… she can be almost unstoppable.

JASON KEY

To Shane’s point, I thought that Jones and Bueckers were the most outstandingly consistent players of the trials.

Jordan Horston– I termed Horston “Little Penny”. Horston’s ability to create for others off the bounce stood out as soon as the games began. Flashed the ability to finish in traffic off the bounce. Showed easy 3-ball range both off the bounce and catch. Good use of length defensively with the ability to guard any perimeter position.

Azzi Fudd– I called both Mark and Shane the first time I caught Fudd a few summers ago and I proclaimed Fudd to be the next “one”. I admittedly can get excited when I catch a young player for the first time, but boy was I right on this one. Has an old-school feel to her game and plays with the patience and understanding of the game of a grizzled vet. Natural leadership qualities… A major weapon in Fudd’s arsenal is the one or two-dribble pull up jumper from the mid-range. Efficient dribble and excellent use of shoulders to create space… Vision off the bounce… Easy 3-ball range off the bounce or catch… Use of shoulders allow for many and-1 opportunities. Excellent on-ball perimeter defender…

Hailey Van Lith– Hailey came in as a mystery guest with a huge reputation to many who had not seen her before and lived up to the hype. Explosive right to left cross… Creates contact and gets to the free throw line seemingly at will. Strong frame allows for contact finishes. Excellent vision off the bounce… Excels in pick and roll situations. Extremely competitive perimeter defender…

Hannah Gusters– Anybody who knows me will tell you if a Duncanville Pantherette is in the mix, I’m going to write about her. The next in a long line of hoopers to come out of the Texas powerhouse, Gusters made her presence felt throughout the weekend. Does the work early in creating deep post position. Excellent touch in the paint. Will face up and hit you out to 15-18 feet consistently with emerging ability from the 3-point line at the top of the key. Active post presence defensively and on the boards…

MARK WILLIAMS

Aaliyah Boston - Boston was MVP of the 2017 FIBA U16 Americas Championship in Argentina, but she didn’t really on that coming into 2018 USA U17 Trials. She came to trials in better shape than last year and on a mission that no one was going to take her spot. She was a beast on the boards and it was tough to keep from scoring in the low post. Her improved conditioning allowed her to keep her high level of play through the trials.

2018 U17 USA Basketball Trials

Tip of the hat to all the Boneyard contributors who kept expanding everyone's knowledge of the participants and process. Special "hat trick" to Sluconn Husky for the continual and consistent updates that offered the base for all of this. Very much appreciated. Thanks much. :)

Reaction Score
exactly...comparing Jackson's situation to Boothe's isn't doing her any favors..

Really happy for Hailey Van Lith. Came in without the buzz and tailwind of some of the others, and competed her tail off to stand out at a deep position. Looking forward to rooting for this squad.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Olivia Miles, Paige Bueckers, Jordan Horston, Aubrey Griffin, Haley Jones, and Caroline Ducharme all feature in this dropping dimes compilation.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Prediction: If Hailey Van Lith comes to UConn, she will win LOTS of Badass awards. She’s a cute kid, but she’s a total Badass.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Prediction: If Hailey Van Lith comes to UConn, she will win LOTS of Badass awards. She’s a cute kid, but she’s a total Badass.
If Paige comes to UConn she'll make everyone look like badasses. This Ms. has playa written all over her.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A montage of highlights including ones from Olivia Miles, Caroline Ducharme, Hailey Van Lith, Aubrey Griffin, Natalija Marshall, Dominique Darius, and Timea Gardiner (top-five 2022 prospect).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I believe that move by Miles at the end is illegal in 48 states.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Southridge Sophomore Cameron Brink is Headed to Europe to try and help Team USA come out on top in the FIBA Under-17 Women's World Cup

As Brink left Colorado a year ago, she was told that she needed to work on her strength and get a jump shot. She was going against post players who weighed at least 50 pounds more than her and were much stronger. The coaches believed that Brink would be better utilized as a stretch forward, a position that Southridge Head Coach Michael Bergmann played her in for the Skyhawks this past season.

Over the past year, Brink was determined to continue working on the little aspects of her game so that she would have a shot at making the final roster this summer. That led to Brink spending even more time in the gym and scrimmaging against boys to become a better post defender and stronger overall.

While Brink may miss her family during the month as the time difference can be up to ten hours, she’s glad she has her California Stars teammate, Haley Jones, on the team.

Going For Gold

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom