'16 season a possible ACC audition? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

'16 season a possible ACC audition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The ACC could also invite Georgetown rather than UConn, and I don't believe there is any waiting for ND to join football.

Because they want to stick to small urban private schools with tiny followings?

Reaction Score
I agree with this. What if Delany's long game does include UConn? He blocks the pod theory so the ACC can't take us. That gives us time to achieve AAU and Delany adds us before retiring in 2020.

There you go folks.

beep, bop, boop.

I like it, but with whom? Everyone else is tied up with GOR.

Reaction Score
I see you have put some thought into this proposal, but I can't agree that we should go into the ACC on any basis other then a full-fledged member. If we were to do that our football program would whither and the ACC would enjoy the benefit of our great olympic sports. Either all in with the ACC or be done with them.
1) Our football program is withering anyway
2) The olympic sports relationship with the ACC would be mutually beneficial. Let's not pretend like playing Duke, UNC, Cuse, Pitt, and BC in basketball a couple times a year wouldn't be an exponential improvement over playing USF, UCF, Tulane, Houston and Tulsa.

Reaction Score
Sorry, let me clarify. Georgetown University.

Yeah, 7,000 undergrads there.

Connecticut has 3.6m residents and over a million TV sets for cable systems to show ACCN.

If the ACC wants to throw tens of millions a year away, it will add Georgetown.

Reaction Score
1) Our football program is withering anyway
2) The olympic sports relationship with the ACC would be mutually beneficial. Let's not pretend like playing Duke, UNC, Cuse, Pitt, and BC in basketball a couple times a year wouldn't be an exponential improvement over playing USF, UCF, Tulane, Houston and Tulsa.

Not IMO - it was withering, but Diaco has made real strides. But for e-f-f-i-n-g Hathaway and Pasqualoni we would be much farther along. Clearly we're equal to or better than many existing ACC programs. No one should concede football is a lost cause. No doubt, hoops would be better off in the ACC and the ACC would be better off with us aboard. However, hoops can survive and even prosper given a decent OOC schedule, but football will die on its own. IMO, it would be defeatist to go to the ACC on any basis other then as a full-fledged member.

Reaction Score
UConn football 2002 schedule (independent)
Take with about a tablespoon of salt for many reasons including BC Temple and Miami being required to play us as we transitioned to the Big East I'm pretty sure. I'm not advocating for football independence just giving an example of what the schedule looked like..
@ Boston College
vs Georgia Tech
@ Buffalo
vs Ohio
vs Ball State
@ Miami
vs Temple
@ Vanderbilt
vs Florida Atlantic
vs Kent St
@Navy
@Iowa St

Not too shabby. 3 BCS games aside from the Big East teams. We played 1 P5 team last year. Of course with conferences going to more and more in-league games this gets very tough.

Reaction Score
The ACC, the Big 12..its all the same for UConn. The B1g is the holy grail. The other two are simply a lifeline. People keep saying how the GOR extension saved the ACC. No it did not. It saved ESPN from the threat of other confernces poaching. ESPN has outs and will surely use one of them. Sure, the ACC is better than the AAC, but thats about it. UConn will morph into Syracuse, BC and/or Pitt. I want more.

Good for you, djct1999!

You're damn right we want more! We will earn it and deserve it when we are given a chance in any conference.

Reaction Score
Take with about a tablespoon of salt for many reasons including BC Temple and Miami being required to play us as we transitioned to the Big East I'm pretty sure. I'm not advocating for football independence just giving an example of what the schedule looked like..
@ Boston College
vs Georgia Tech
@ Buffalo
vs Ohio
vs Ball State
@ Miami
vs Temple
@ Vanderbilt
vs Florida Atlantic
vs Kent St
@Navy
@Iowa St

Not too shabby. 3 BCS games aside from the Big East teams. We played 1 P5 team last year. Of course with conferences going to more and more in-league games this gets very tough.
You would be hard pressed to put together a schedule like this now due to P-5 conferences moving to more in-conference games.

Reaction Score
You would be hard pressed to put together a schedule like this now due to P-5 conferences moving to more in-conference games.
Not to be a jerkoff but I did point that out in the post

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
@ Boston College
vs Georgia Tech
@ Buffalo
vs Ohio
vs Ball State
@ Miami
vs Temple
@ Vanderbilt
vs Florida Atlantic
vs Kent St
@Navy
@Iowa St

There are also four MAC games on that schedule too. :(

Reaction Score
What if UConn starts providing bogus classes for its athletes. Would that help its audition?

Don't think it would help...been done, not innovative. Swofford would just yawn and mutter "wannabees".

Reaction Score
Picking back up from my last post about conference autonomy or "conference deregulation" as someone else mentioned, the ACC was pushing this so they can do away with divisions and rotate through the conference more often than once in every six years. It's currently a huge issue among ADs in the ACC which is why the 9 game conference schedule is going to get voted on.

The other problem with the 2 divisions set up is that you would need to expand in pairs, the ACC is waiting on ND to go all in and then their expansion partner would then be chosen. Conference deregulation and a conference without divisions would also get rid of this problem and allow a conference to expand with 1. So in theory with a 15 team conference, UConn's schedule could have BC and SU as annual opponents and cycle through everybody else in 4 seasons with an 8 game conference schedule. If a 16th school is added, the ACC could go to a 9 game schedule, each team plays 3 annual opponents and cycles through everybody else in 4 seasons. The ACC could do this right now if they wanted to, but the rules are that you have to have 2 divisions to play a conference championship game and the ACC would be missing out on millions, so this idea is DOA.

The other problem, let's say the Golden Domers do the unthinkable and join the ACC in football and UConn comes aboard with them. The divisions would surely need to be reshuffled and cross-division games would need to be re-done. This is a near impossible task and it's been attempted before, but to no avail.

To sum everything up, conference deregulation and/or Notre Dame making a move is the key to the ACC expanding.

As someone mentioned already, Louisville was the ACC's move to strengthen itself in football which it badly needed. If VT and Miami were still at the top of their game, maybe the ACC would have went with UConn.

I've recently had these conference realignment discussions with fellow ACC fans and most were holding out hope that if the Big12 did not extend their GoR, then in several years the ACC could possibly persuade UT or WVU. I felt this was the wrong strategy as UT is way out the ACC's target region and while WVU is solid in both football and basketball, UConn has more to offer in several key areas (though not as strong as WVU in football). Most importantly to me, if the ACC is going to make an effort to go after the highly populated NE market, it needs to make another push in that territory and not risk another P5 conference (BigTen) possibly strengthening it's position in that region.

Reaction Score
I've recently had these conference realignment discussions with fellow ACC fans and most were holding out hope that if the Big12 did not extend their GoR, then in several years the ACC could possibly persuade UT or WVU. I felt this was the wrong strategy as UT is way out the ACC's target region and while WVU is solid in both football and basketball, UConn has more to offer in several key areas (though not as strong as WVU in football). Most importantly to me, if the ACC is going to make an effort to go after the highly populated NE market, it needs to make another push in that territory and not risk another P5 conference (BigTen) possibly strengthening it's position in that region.

I've thought about this for some time now and I can tell you that the thought of watching UCONN and BC go at as conference mates is already intriguing. I would even go so far as "Must See TV". I already have a name for the annual football game; it should be "The Grudge Match" and the trophy should be called "The Red Cup" as an allusion for all the blood that would be spelled between the two schools. This might even make BC spend money on its Athletic Department again, just to beat UConn. I'd pay good money to watch that game.

Reaction Score
The Big10 needs to grab us. They are so missing the boat on a chance to disrupt the ACC market control strategy and capture the tri-state market. If they took Temple and UConn, the ACC is toast in the I-95 North corridor. They would have the Philly, Maryland DC, NY Metro markets locked up and it would be contiguous with the RustBelt.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The Big10 needs to grab us. They are so missing the boat on a chance to disrupt the ACC market control strategy and capture the tri-state market. If they took Temple and UConn, the ACC is toast in the I-95 North corridor. They would have the Philly, Maryland DC, NY Metro markets locked up and it would be contiguous with the RustBelt.

Why would they need Temple to lock up Philly when they already have Penn St.? Temple doesn't even deliver Broad Street.

Reaction Score
Why would they need Temple to lock up Philly when they already have Penn St.? Temple doesn't even deliver Broad Street.
Maybe you're correct . But it blocks ACC penetration and Temple can pull numbers if they are doing well. Penn state plays them routinely.

Reaction Score
Maybe you're correct . But it blocks ACC penetration and Temple can pull numbers if they are doing well. Penn state plays them routinely.

Temple draws fans/eyeballs when they play Penn State or Notre Dame. That's pretty much it. Maybe they would draw against OSU or UM, but that would not be evidence of the appeal of The Owls as much as the curiosity of seeing two out of market Blue Bloods in person.

You are correct that Penn State does play Temple routinely, but it is typically as a part of 3 for 1 deal or sometimes even more. If The B1G was interested in adding G5 Schools their best bets would be Houston, UCONN, UCF and USF. All four have huge enrollments, are located in massive TV markets(not currently in the BTN Footprint), 3 of 4 provide access to southern recruiting, and all four have major athletic upside in the right situation.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

The Big10 doesn't need to pull numbers "if." Doubling/tripling up on a market (southern New Jersey is in the Philly DMA) loses the Big10 money, and that's what Temple would do. Blocking the ACC isn't what the Big10 needs. If the ACC wants to add Temple, more power to them. Temple brings very little to the table, though. If bundle subscriptions are still a thing in 2019, they have Pitt (and power of ESPN) in the state of Pennsylvania to "encourage" cable companies to add the ACCN.

Blocking the ACC is a move that would be detrimental in both the short and long run. If the school isn't right for the Big10, doesn't add money, viewers or more exposure, than why bring them in? Once you add a school, they are part of your conference for a very long time. Yes, I understand that Rutgers was add, but they are the state university in a state that has 9 million people, is part of the largest and fourth largest DMA and is a pretty good research school. They are the only FBS school playing football (if you can call it that football) in the NYC DMA. Athletically, they are a mess. Financially, they are a boon for the Big10. Temple is none of those.

Reaction Score
The Big10 doesn't need to pull numbers "if." Doubling/tripling up on a market (southern New Jersey is in the Philly DMA) loses the Big10 money, and that's what Temple would do. Blocking the ACC isn't what the Big10 needs. If the ACC wants to add Temple, more power to them. Temple brings very little to the table, though. If bundle subscriptions are still a thing in 2019, they have Pitt (and power of ESPN) in the state of Pennsylvania to "encourage" cable companies to add the ACCN.

Blocking the ACC is a move that would be detrimental in both the short and long run. If the school isn't right for the Big10, doesn't add money, viewers or more exposure, than why bring them in? Once you add a school, they are part of your conference for a very long time. Yes, I understand that Rutgers was add, but they are the state university in a state that has 9 million people, is part of the largest and fourth largest DMA and is a pretty good research school. They are the only FBS school playing football (if you can call it that football) in the NYC DMA. Athletically, they are a mess. Financially, they are a boon for the Big10. Temple is none of those.

Don't agree, but don't care enough to argue the point. The Big10 should be working Northeast and solidifying its market dominance. Pulling in UConn is a no brainer, and they should find one more school. They either flip BC or Syracuse, and they control Northeast Football. If they can't, Temple works to fill a hole.

Reaction Score
Don't agree, but don't care enough to argue the point. The Big10 should be working Northeast and solidifying its market dominance. Pulling in UConn is a no brainer, and they should find one more school. They either flip BC or Syracuse, and they control Northeast Football. If they can't, Temple works to fill a hole.

There are 10x more PSU fans in Philly than Temple fans.

If you look at the demographic for Penn State, the vast majority of its students come from the Philly region (and by that I mean as far north as Allentown and as west as Lancaster).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA