'16 season a possible ACC audition? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

'16 season a possible ACC audition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
and the B1G with that pesky AAU requirement on top of undergrad academics.

I do not think anyone has a clue what metric the Big 12 is valuing the most.

The point he was making is that the ACC doesn't really value academics all that much, hence inviting a community college.

I find the idea of further "auditioning" for the ACC tiresome. We were the best available program when they expanded after 2010-11, and they passed us over. It's not much of an audition if the criteria are always applied retroactively to avoid selecting one school.

Reaction Score
If The ACC doesn't understand the value that a UCONN addition brings to the table by now, then its unlikely they ever will.

State Flagship/Land Grant.
Excellent academics.
Elite M/W Basketball.
Serviceable football.
Strong all around AD.
Engaged and loyal fan base.
Creates a bridge to isolated BC/New England and likely establishes market dominance in NYC when combined with Cuse, ND, and Duke Basketball.
Multiple TV ready rivalries in both football and basketball.

How is it that a person using no more than a set of eyes and a bit of common sense can see how valuable that a UCONN Addition could be to a conference, especially one with a fledgling network? I didn't need to commission any reports or meet with any media consultants either. I've just looked into UCONN's Academic initiatives, and watched the school win a *load of titles over the last 10 years. Honestly I wish there was an equivalent program currently available with similar metrics to UCONN that The B1G could grab now and end realignment at 16. Oh well come on Big 12.

Reaction Score
The point he was making is that the ACC doesn't really value academics all that much, hence inviting a community college.

I find the idea of further "auditioning" for the ACC tiresome. We were the best available program when they expanded after 2010-11, and they passed us over. It's not much of an audition if the criteria are always applied retroactively to avoid selecting one school.

Once Swofford announced that the media revenue was derived about 80 percent by football, the die was cast for the ACC metric. I think that the conference values academics, but as a sports league, absolutely needed to bolster the competitiveness of football side. Basketball needed little, if any, augmentation.

There is no point in "auditioning". None.

Any future expansion by any conference will be driven by that conference's need. And folks can readily tell how an institution meets that specific need.

Reaction Score
Those who say "we don't need an audition" are mostly right. UConn athletics and academics stand out and that fact is not lost on people who look past football accomplishments. I don't remember the last time an ACC school played UConn in football and I was very surprised to see 3 ACC schools on UConn's schedule. It may somehow be linked to a settlement agreement between the ACC and AAC/Big East for raiding it or possibly the ACC is over the law suite, either way this is a good opportunity for UConn to flex it's football muscle and show the ACC personally what UConn has got. Another thing important is football attendance and fan behaviour to these games, so I am hoping UConn represents well, accomplish these things no matter the outcome and you will have at least 3 schools vouch for you when it comes time to expand again.

Reaction Score
Those who say "we don't need an audition" are mostly right. UConn athletics and academics stand out and that fact is not lost on people who look past football accomplishments. I don't remember the last time an ACC school played UConn in football and I was very surprised to see 3 ACC schools on UConn's schedule. It may somehow be linked to a settlement agreement between the ACC and AAC/Big East for raiding it or possibly the ACC is over the law suite, either way this is a good opportunity for UConn to flex it's football muscle and show the ACC personally what UConn has got. Another thing important is football attendance and fan behaviour to these games, so I am hoping UConn represents well, accomplish these things no matter the outcome and you will have at least 3 schools vouch for you when it comes time to expand again.
Garrett: the ACC is not expanding for at least 20 more years, but if they had any sense they would kick BC out and replace them with UConn. There is no audition. Stop that. UConn defeated Louisville in Louisville right before the decision was made to add Louisville. None of it matters. Politics and money are the driving force here.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

We've played the ACC in football quite a bit.. Maryland before they left, Virginia, Wake Forest, Duke, NC State, North Carolina... I think the only schools in the ACC we haven't played since becoming an FBS team are FSU and Clemson. Granted some were in the Big East when we played them. I just think it's geographic proximity as much as anything and the ADs are familiar from basketball...

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
And this is how our audition will end
image.jpg

Reaction Score
It is possible that the ACC will not expand for another 20 years and I will not dogmatically insist otherwise.

Several people have brought up Louisville. In case you are wondering why they got the invite and not UConn. I will give you a little background information that you may have missed: When Maryland left, it was rumored (and there may actually be factual reports) that UConn was the #1 choice of the majority of the ACC members and of ESPN to replace UMD. But an FSU representative was outspoken and insistent that Louisville was the better choice because they could best boost the ACC's football reputation and they were more culturally a like the southern schools. At the time this was happening there was a lot of conference turmoil with long time members of other conferences going elsewhere. So yes, it was FSU doing a little sabre-rattling to get it's way, but lost in all of this is the role UNC played. I think it was in 2011 or 2012 that UNC went up to Louisville and played them in football. UNC lost the game, but UL made a really good impression on them and when the ACC had to add another school, UNC was also in Louisville's corner. In all, FSU, UNC and Clemson were for sure pro-Louisville, possibly even BC, but I don't remember their name being mentioned.

I remember wanting Navy in football and Georgetown in all other sports to get back into Maryland if such a thing could be worked out and a close 2nd choice for me was UL. I will say this, Louisville has been a wonderful addition and nobody in the ACC is crying over UMD's departure, it feels like UL has been a member for 60 years. I mean no disrespect to UConn.

Notre Dame: the ACC is holding out for the small chance that ND will eventually join up in football and I think it is the right thing to do. Some speculate that their NBC contract is holding it up, others say that when they will join up if/when the playoffs expand and P5 conference winners get in automatically. I like ND right where they are just fine, it's another great OOC game 1 in 3 years and you don't have to compete with them for the ACC title. The relationship with the ACC and ND is a win-win. It's assumed and not a hard-fact that ND get's to choose it's expansion partner.

A couple things that should interest UConn fans:

(1) Whether the Big12 extends it's Grant of Rights. If they do, it surely means the ACC will not be poaching from the Big12 and I think this is both a good thing for the ACC and schools out in the mid-west. If the Big12 did fall apart, then the Big Ten and SEC will cherry pick who they want, further strengthening those conferences and separating themselves even more from the ACC. Rumor has it that Texas was interested in the ACC, some even say that is a fact, though I don't remember reading a report saying if it was or not. I just think culturally and geographically it's just a weird fit. On the other hand, if the Big12 does not extend their GoR and actually does get picked a part, it might lose it's P5 status, but would most certainly expand with the best of the AAC and MWC and still be a very strong conference. This actually happening is still several years down the road.

(2) Do you remember back in February of this year when the NCAA voted on a couple of major things? One of those things was allowing a conference championship game to be played with 2 divisions of less than 6 members in a conference. That one passed. The other thing was "conference autonomy", it would allow a conference to make it's own rules to set up a conference championship game. The ACC was pushing for that one and it did not pass. In theory, the ACC could do away with divisions, each team would keep 2-3 annual games while rotating every body else and the ACC could use it's own metrics to send the two best teams to the ACCCG. I'm going to address this a little more and how this could involve UConn in a later post. It involves some inherit problems that come with expanding so large, so I look forward to elaborating on this when I get some more time.

Reaction Score
Early on, people talked about UConn going to the ACC without its football. Blauds was one who mentioned that.

Hasn't been talked about in a while. But--IF UConn is leaving the AAC no matter what, a P5 spot for bball without football may be one better avenue than going to the BE.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Early on, people talked about UConn going to the ACC without its football. Blauds was one who mentioned that.

Hasn't been talked about in a while. But--IF UConn is leaving the AAC no matter what, a P5 spot for bball without football may be one better avenue than going to the BE.

That isn't obvious? I really mean no disrespect, but isn't it?

Reaction Score
That isn't obvious? I really mean no disrespect, but isn't it?

All I really meant is that this talk of leaving the AAC without a lifeline for football may refer to other possibilities than just the BE.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
All I really meant is that this talk of leaving the AAC without a lifeline for football may refer to other possibilities than just the BE.

Gotcha. It would certainly be nice if we had options for upward mobility. Any options. Even if it's just for most of our sports and not all of them.

Reaction Score
It is possible that the ACC will not expand for another 20 years and I will not dogmatically insist otherwise.

Several people have brought up Louisville. In case you are wondering why they got the invite and not UConn. I will give you a little background information that you may have missed: When Maryland left, it was rumored (and there may actually be factual reports) that UConn was the #1 choice of the majority of the ACC members and of ESPN to replace UMD. But an FSU representative was outspoken and insistent that Louisville was the better choice because they could best boost the ACC's football reputation and they were more culturally a like the southern schools. At the time this was happening there was a lot of conference turmoil with long time members of other conferences going elsewhere. So yes, it was FSU doing a little sabre-rattling to get it's way, but lost in all of this is the role UNC played. I think it was in 2011 or 2012 that UNC went up to Louisville and played them in football. UNC lost the game, but UL made a really good impression on them and when the ACC had to add another school, UNC was also in Louisville's corner. In all, FSU, UNC and Clemson were for sure pro-Louisville, possibly even BC, but I don't remember their name being mentioned.

I remember wanting Navy in football and Georgetown in all other sports to get back into Maryland if such a thing could be worked out and a close 2nd choice for me was UL. I will say this, Louisville has been a wonderful addition and nobody in the ACC is crying over UMD's departure, it feels like UL has been a member for 60 years. I mean no disrespect to UConn.

Notre Dame: the ACC is holding out for the small chance that ND will eventually join up in football and I think it is the right thing to do. Some speculate that their NBC contract is holding it up, others say that when they will join up if/when the playoffs expand and P5 conference winners get in automatically. I like ND right where they are just fine, it's another great OOC game 1 in 3 years and you don't have to compete with them for the ACC title. The relationship with the ACC and ND is a win-win. It's assumed and not a hard-fact that ND get's to choose it's expansion partner.

(1) Whether the Big12 extends it's Grant of Rights. If they do, it surely means the ACC will not be poaching from the Big12 and I think this is both a good thing for the ACC and schools out in the mid-west. If the Big12 did fall apart, then the Big Ten and SEC will cherry pick who they want, further strengthening those conferences and separating themselves even more from the ACC. Rumor has it that Texas was interested in the ACC, some even say that is a fact, though I don't remember reading a report saying if it was or not. I just think culturally and geographically it's just a weird fit. On the other hand, if the Big12 does not extend their GoR and actually does get picked a part, it might lose it's P5 status, but would most certainly expand with the best of the AAC and MWC and still be a very strong conference. This actually happening is still several years down the road.

(2) Do you remember back in February of this year when the NCAA voted on a couple of major things? One of those things was allowing a conference championship game to be played with 2 divisions of less than 6 members in a conference. That one passed. The other thing was "conference autonomy", it would allow a conference to make it's own rules to set up a conference championship game. The ACC was pushing for that one and it did not pass. In theory, the ACC could do away with divisions, each team would keep 2-3 annual games while rotating every body else and the ACC could use it's own metrics to send the two best teams to the ACCCG. I'm going to address this a little more and how this could involve UConn in a later post. It involves some inherit problems that come with expanding so large, so I look forward to elaborating on this when I get some more time.
Unfortunately, something happening several years down the road will be too late for UConn. The ACC is not expanding. Thank you FSU again for sticking in the knife.

Reaction Score

Dude...you are yet another in a long line of ACC trolls. You will find no quarter here...jam it and twist it.... Enough with a UCONN to ACC fairy tale. It will never happen and no serious fan who has followed CR believes it.

Your earnest sincerity and platitudes mean nothing

Reaction Score
He is right about one thing....

If the ACC's request for deregulation had not been torpedoed, it is highly likely that the ACC would have grabbed UConn as #15 (it would have worked in three pods) and awaited ND as #16.

There is no one else in the footprint as attractive and, particularly, as attractive to the ACC.

I agree that there is no opportunity with the ACC at present.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

If the ACC's request for deregulation had not been torpedoed, it is highly likely that the ACC would have grabbed UConn as #15 (it would have worked in three pods) and awaited ND as #16.

There is no one else in the footprint as attractive and, particularly, as attractive to the ACC.

Billy, if UConn is willing to say, go Independent with football, or put it in the MAC. Why wouldn't the ACC want UConn's Olympic sports?
  • Great content
  • Balances schedule
  • entrenches northeast/New England market
  • no football impact on FSU/Clemson
  • full admission contingent on ND doing the same
  • Lock in your #16
  • some football scheduling to allow UConn to go Indy (we have three games this year anyway)
What's the downside for the ACC in this scenario?

Reaction Score
Billy, if UConn is willing to say, go Independent with football, or put it in the MAC. Why wouldn't the ACC want UConn's Olympic sports?
  • Great content
  • Balances schedule
  • entrenches northeast/New England market
  • no football impact on FSU/Clemson
  • full admission contingent on ND doing the same
  • Lock in your #16
  • some football scheduling to allow UConn to go Indy (we have three games this year anyway)
What's the downside for the ACC in this scenario?

I must strongly disagree - our football isn't good enough for the ACC? We can't compete against Wake, BC and Syracuse among others? BS - if the ACC wants to une-f-f this thing then they should add us as a full member now, otherwise they can e-f-f off.

Reaction Score
The next member will be a all sports member, I believe. And football is not as important this time around.

The ACC made a football decision when a football strengthening was needed.

Now, with an ACCN, and a long term GOR, and with the conference not scrambling to shore up football (5 teams predicted to be preseason AP ranked, two in top five), the ACC could go where it's heart is...with a premier basketball program.

But it won't happen at 15. That number is unworkable for two divisions.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I must strongly disagree - our football isn't good enough for the ACC? We can't compete against Wake, BC and Syracuse among others? BS - if the ACC wants to une-f-f this thing then they should add us as a full member now, otherwise they can e-f-f off.

It's not a question of good enough. It's a question of a balanced schedule. Let's say these are our options:
  • Stay in a watered down AAC, minus (for this hypo) Cinci, Houston and USF/UCF or Memphis
  • Join Big East for Olympics (more $ than AAC), Football AAC, MAC or Indy. Scheduling for Indy?
  • Join ACC for Olympics (more $ than BE, but not full share). Football AAC, MAC or Indy. Scheduling deal with ACC to help Indy status.
Of those three, which is best for UConn? Petty grievances aside. It's not a close call.

Reaction Score
The ACC could also invite Georgetown rather than UConn, and I don't believe there is any waiting for ND to join football.

Reaction Score
It's not a question of good enough. It's a question of a balanced schedule. Let's say these are our options:
  • Stay in a watered down AAC, minus (for this hypo) Cinci, Houston and USF/UCF or Memphis
  • Join Big East for Olympics (more $ than AAC), Football AAC, MAC or Indy. Scheduling for Indy?
  • Join ACC for Olympics (more $ than BE, but not full share). Football AAC, MAC or Indy. Scheduling deal with ACC to help Indy status.
Of those three, which is best for UConn? Petty grievances aside. It's not a close call.

I see you have put some thought into this proposal, but I can't agree that we should go into the ACC on any basis other then a full-fledged member. If we were to do that our football program would whither and the ACC would enjoy the benefit of our great olympic sports. Either all in with the ACC or be done with them.

Reaction Score
The ACC is, like the SEC, Big Ten, SEC, and Pac 12, a 14 team football conference.

It will stay that way unless Notre Dame someday does the unthinkable.

The only reason that Notre Dame is in as #15 except for football, is the perceived value to the conference that the compromise brings.

If the Irish weren't playing five football games a year through the conference, and that was valued highly, I do not think that the deal would have floated.

The Irish, like UConn would, will bring value for a conference network in basketball and non revenue sports.

Reaction Score
The ACC, the Big 12............its all the same for UConn. The B1g is the holy grail. The other two are simply a lifeline. People keep saying how the GOR extension saved the ACC. No it did not. It saved ESPN from the threat of other confernces poaching. ESPN has outs and will surely use one of them. Sure, the ACC is better than the AAC, but thats about it. UConn will morph into Syracuse, BC and/or Pitt. I want more.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

I agree with this. What if Delany's long game does include UConn? He blocks the pod theory so the ACC can't take us. That gives us time to achieve AAU and Delany adds us before retiring in 2020.

There you go folks.

beep, bop, boop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member