14/15 Schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

14/15 Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That may be true now, but it doesn't affect his point that Purvis wasn't exactly "a stud" in his year at NC State.
Okay, wooptie f-cking do. That was then. Since a few months ago, Kevin Ollie says he's a Ferrari. Do you just not get what he means by that? Or was he just making it up for shiggles.

Reaction Score
Okay, wooptie f-cking do. That was then. Since a few months ago, Kevin Ollie says he's a Ferrari. Do you just not get what he means by that? Or was he just making it up for shiggles.

Nobody is saying that he won't be good in a Uconn uniform. We're simply correcting the person who called him a "stud" in his one year in a NC State uniform.

C

Chief00

Good over-all schedule but light an elite home opponents. Texas could be very tough, right up there with Duke.
The school still struggles to look at things from a fan perspective, despite the NC successes. Wifi needed at Gampel without all the access codes.

Reaction Score
Away game at Tulane? I relocated to Alabama for grad school last year and that sounds like the closest I'll get to in-person UConn basketball but I'll take it!

Reaction Score
This is going to be a down year for us, in relative terms. We lost three seniors to graduation including the Player of the Year in Shabazz Napier, and Niels Giffey who was a reliable Sixth Man/fill-in starter. We lost DeAndre Daniels when he left early. Boatright is back, but he was always iffy. And he's definitely not good enough to do too much by himself. The conference is weak. Best (realistic) case scenario in conference is we split with Memphis, Cincinnati and SMU and win all our other conference games. (Or sweep one of those three, get swept by another, and split with the third.) That puts us at 15-3 in conference. We probably won't beat Florida on the road or Duke at a neutral site. The tournament is impossible to predict for sure until the bracket comes out, which to my knowledge it hasn't, but looking at the opponents there's nobody we can't beat. Best case scenario is we win the tournament. Stanford I could see us beating, though it would be an upset. In a best-case scenario though, we win that game, finish non-conference play with three losses (Duke, Florida, and one tournament game.) That doesn't count the game we don't know. That puts us at about 25-5 heading into the AAC Tournament, which will be in Hartford, so we have a good chance. In the best realistic case scenario, we win the AAC Tournament, go 28-5, and will be at the mercy of the seeding committee again. Since the conference is even worse than last year, we might not get that good a seed in spite of a better record.

Worst (realistic) scenario is we lose to Duke, Florida, Stanford, and Texas, go 1-2 in the tournament, lose the game to the unknown opponent who may be good, and suffer one OOC upset to a weaker team and beat the other three. That puts us at 4-8 in OOC play. Then we get swept by Memphis, Cincy, and SMU, and have one or two bad conference losses to the other teams, probably on the road (maybe to USF who often gives us problems for some reason.) That puts us at 10-8 in conference and 14-16 overall, a losing record.

It will probably be somewhere in between. My prediction: lose to Duke, Florida, and Stanford, go 2-1 in the tournament, and win all other non-conference games including Texas. That puts us at 8-4 OOC. In conference, get swept Cincy, split with Memphis and SMU. Lose one game against the other teams (again, possibly USF on the road) because upsets are bound to happen. That puts us at 13-5 in conference and 21-9 overall heading into the tournament. Given the strength of the conference, we'd probably have to at least reach the final to get an at-large bid but that's doable considering it's in Hartford. Even at 23-10 overall and reaching the AAC final before losing, we might not get an at-large bid. Look at SMU not making the tournament last year. And look at us falling to a #7 seed. And this year's AAC is even worse.

Reaction Score
Yeah let's completely ignore the improvements.

Nolan is beefing up. Brimah, despite the surgery, has been doing everything except contact play for months, so he will certainly be improved. The 5 spot that we were all worried about last year just did what it needed to do to win a championship (one thing being shutting Julius Randle down for a half), and they now have some serious experience in big games.

KO taking the Ferrari out of the garage

This kid named Daniel Hamilton, I heard he's decent

Ya boy's coming to ROCK the world

The above player is Kemba in 09-10, the lower is Boat this year.

GPMINPPGRPGAPGSPGBPGTPGFG%FT%3P%

3435.314.6 4.3 5.1 2.1 0.4 2.9.403.767.339
3932.412.1 3.5 3.4 1.6 0.2 1.9.391.798.376

Reaction Score
That may be true now, but it doesn't affect his point that Purvis wasn't exactly "a stud" in his year at NC State.
One thing to take into account regarding Purvis performance at NC State, is he did have that shoulder injury since HS. Now that it's fixed, hopefully that Ferrari can come humming out of Ollie's garage.

Reaction Score
This is going to be a down year for us, in relative terms. We lost three seniors to graduation including the Player of the Year in Shabazz Napier, and Niels Giffey who was a reliable Sixth Man/fill-in starter. We lost DeAndre Daniels when he left early. Boatright is back, but he was always iffy. And he's definitely not good enough to do too much by himself. The conference is weak. Best (realistic) case scenario in conference is we split with Memphis, Cincinnati and SMU and win all our other conference games. (Or sweep one of those three, get swept by another, and split with the third.) That puts us at 15-3 in conference. We probably won't beat Florida on the road or Duke at a neutral site. The tournament is impossible to predict for sure until the bracket comes out, which to my knowledge it hasn't, but looking at the opponents there's nobody we can't beat. Best case scenario is we win the tournament. Stanford I could see us beating, though it would be an upset. In a best-case scenario though, we win that game, finish non-conference play with three losses (Duke, Florida, and one tournament game.) That doesn't count the game we don't know. That puts us at about 25-5 heading into the AAC Tournament, which will be in Hartford, so we have a good chance. In the best realistic case scenario, we win the AAC Tournament, go 28-5, and will be at the mercy of the seeding committee again. Since the conference is even worse than last year, we might not get that good a seed in spite of a better record.

Worst (realistic) scenario is we lose to Duke, Florida, Stanford, and Texas, go 1-2 in the tournament, lose the game to the unknown opponent who may be good, and suffer one OOC upset to a weaker team and beat the other three. That puts us at 4-8 in OOC play. Then we get swept by Memphis, Cincy, and SMU, and have one or two bad conference losses to the other teams, probably on the road (maybe to USF who often gives us problems for some reason.) That puts us at 10-8 in conference and 14-16 overall, a losing record.

It will probably be somewhere in between. My prediction: lose to Duke, Florida, and Stanford, go 2-1 in the tournament, and win all other non-conference games including Texas. That puts us at 8-4 OOC. In conference, get swept Cincy, split with Memphis and SMU. Lose one game against the other teams (again, possibly USF on the road) because upsets are bound to happen. That puts us at 13-5 in conference and 21-9 overall heading into the tournament. Given the strength of the conference, we'd probably have to at least reach the final to get an at-large bid but that's doable considering it's in Hartford. Even at 23-10 overall and reaching the AAC final before losing, we might not get an at-large bid. Look at SMU not making the tournament last year. And look at us falling to a #7 seed. And this year's AAC is even worse.
Wow, bet youre all kinds of fun at a party, jk, kind of. What youre saying isnt crazy, although I think youre going to take all kinds of sh_t for it here, but youre only looking at objective negatives imo. At the end of the day, every team has to find an identity, and play with chemistry and a UConn chip on their shoulder. Personally I think weve got plenty of talent to be a top 10, the rest depends on how these guys come together as a team and their will to win. Pretty much the same as every year.

Reaction Score
When we have the tutorial on "facts" versus "opinions" we should work in one on "objective" versus "subjective" and kill two birds with one stone.

Reaction Score

How do you imagine us getting swept by Cinci. If you think we're in a down year then take a look at their roster - who exactly is replacing Kilpatrick? With Larry Brown coaching and a big freshman class, getting swept by SMU is possible - hell, they swept us last year. Getting swept by Cinci? I don't think so. And your grossly underestimating Boat's value as a senior - he figured it out by the tourney, now with a chance to make some NBA money I don't see him going backwards.

Reaction Score

Are you related to Free?

How do you see us losing to FLA- they lost everyone? Stanford is no world beater either.
We have two players coming in who are for all intensive purposes Juniors- RP and SC. Although we lost 3 starters.
However I think people that really believe we are going to lose three games next year are way off base. Just do not see that happening- those fans will be disappointed. I am hoping we learn to play together and that the chemistry is excellent- if that is the case anything could happen but you never know till they get on the floor together. No Bazz, DD or NG and we are going to lose less then half the games we did with those guys on the floor?

WE ARE DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Are you related to Free?

How do you see us losing to FLA- they lost everyone? Stanford is no world beater either.
We have two players coming in who are for all intensive purposes Juniors- RP and SC. Although we lost 3 starters.
However I think people that really believe we are going to lose three games next year are way off base. Just do not see that happening- those fans will be disappointed. I am hoping we learn to play together and that the chemistry is excellent- if that is the case anything could happen but you never know till they get on the floor together. No Bazz, DD or NG and we are going to lose less then half the games we did with those guys on the floor?

His (realistic) worst case scenario was a lil bit too far out there, but you're bugging if you think FL and Stanford on the road are gimmies. A starting lineup with Kasey Hill, Michael Frazier, Dorian Finney Smith, and Chris Walker with the class they're bringing in should still be a tourney team and you can imagine they will have a fired up crowd.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that the people predicting that we will go 27-3 are the types of posters that make this place unreadable after every loss.

Did somebody actually ask how we could lose to Florida? On the road? They will be a top-15 team next year even with the seniors they lost. And remember that guy Devin Robinson who was the biggest recruiting obsession we had last year and was going to be the perfect replacement for Daniels? Where do you think he ended up (along with Brandone Francis, another kid we really wanted)? I bet you we will be 6-8 point underdogs going into that game.

We have a chance to be really good next year, but we're going to be incorporating a lot of new faces while also giving increased roles to a few guys (presumably Facey, Samuel, and Calhoun) who didn't play an awful lot last year. There is plenty of talent on the roster but the experience and cohesiveness that last year's team had was a result of that group playing together for 2 straight years. We're going to have to wait and see how this thing looks next year.

Reaction Score
I hate placing any emphasis on season predictions. One injury can reshape the entire landscape of men's basketball depending on the player. More internally, an injury can be the different in a championship and not even making the tourney. I'll reserve my judgment for the actual season.

Reaction Score
Are you related to Free?

I am gonna provide you some info so you can stop embarrassing yourself.

8. Florida Gators
Coach Billy Donovan, as is his wont, has another strategically perfect class coming in. It's a group of four-star players who should be able to contribute and fill needs right away, but they won't necessarily need major minutes or lots of touches right off the bat. That's good, because losing Scottie Wilbekin, Casey Prather and Patric Youngcreates a need for a smooth, structured transition. The talent is here: Kasey Hill flashed brilliance in a backup role before wilting in the Final Four; Michael Frazier II is a knockdown shooter; Dorian Finney-Smith is a highly skilled forward; and rising sophomore center Chris Walker is a complete athletic freak whose late start to the season gave him no time to develop. When he does, look out. Florida may have some growing pains, but Donovan will get them there.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-top-25-2014-15-men-college-basketball-season

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/top25

Florida is #6 in that one.

Reaction Score
I am gonna provide you some info so you can stop embarrassing yourself.

8. Florida Gators
Coach Billy Donovan, as is his wont, has another strategically perfect class coming in. It's a group of four-star players who should be able to contribute and fill needs right away, but they won't necessarily need major minutes or lots of touches right off the bat. That's good, because losing Scottie Wilbekin, Casey Prather and Patric Youngcreates a need for a smooth, structured transition. The talent is here: Kasey Hill flashed brilliance in a backup role before wilting in the Final Four; Michael Frazier II is a knockdown shooter; Dorian Finney-Smith is a highly skilled forward; and rising sophomore center Chris Walker is a complete athletic freak whose late start to the season gave him no time to develop. When he does, look out. Florida may have some growing pains, but Donovan will get them there.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-top-25-2014-15-men-college-basketball-season

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/top25

Florida is #6 in that one.

I stopped reading and just smiled when I got to this point.

Reaction Score
When we have the tutorial on "facts" versus "opinions" we should work in one on "objective" versus "subjective" and kill two birds with one stone.
This is obviously aimed at me so lets take a minute to walk you through what was said to see where you got lost this time. Its pretty simple really, this was his primary argument:
"This is going to be a down year for us, in relative terms. We lost three seniors to graduation including the Player of the Year in Shabazz Napier, and Niels Giffey who was a reliable Sixth Man/fill-in starter. We lost DeAndre Daniels when he left early."
Pretty much everything after this point was either opinion or speculation which I didn't bother to address because I don't share his outlook. Looking very simply at the above passage, his argument was that it would be a down year and the loss of 3 lineup mainstays was the basic "objectively negative" premise on which the whole argument to follow would be made. How, in your subjective opinion, doesn't the loss of 3 key players smack of "objective negative?" Where'd you get lost Big E?

Reaction Score
looking at next years won loss record, look at what motivates each player which in turn dictates energy level which determines outputs only limited by skills and teamwork learning curve

boat: infinity
rodney: very high ceiling
new rip: good ceiling
cassel: good
amida: dangerous
omar: question mark
samuel: strong
rock: unk
facey: unk
center from milw: unk

Reaction Score
His (realistic) worst case scenario was a lil bit too far out there, but you're bugging if you think FL and Stanford on the road are gimmies. A starting lineup with Kasey Hill, Michael Frazier, Dorian Finney Smith, and Chris Walker with the class they're bringing in should still be a tourney team and you can imagine they will have a fired up crowd.

It's the WORST CASE SCENARIO. It's supposed to be unlikely. That's the worst we would do in any realistic scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom