12/5 Notre Dame game without Butler | Page 4 | The Boneyard

12/5 Notre Dame game without Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Buddy Ebsen, Beverly Hillbillies. Also played in Davy Crockett.

Sorry. Hillbillies had a run, but not like this one. The final episode rang up the all time great share for its time.

When the 2 1/2-hour "MASH" finale aired in 1983, 77% of the people watching television were tuned in, making it the most widely watched show in history.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO the December ND game is a legitimate concern. Although I believe UCONN will prevail it may be a close game and perhaps one that is settled in the waning minutes. Yes we are returning four starters as are they. We lost KML who had a very solid if not terrific NC game. Stokes was pretty much a non-factor. ND lost JL who had a horrible final game offensively(4-18). AS has been noted , this is a game that was virtually even in the second half. The upside for us is that we get more out of Stewie and probably Nurse. The upside for ND is a more complete game from Turner and Allen taking up more of the offense in JL's absence. The 5th starter performance is clearly the wild card.
Thank goodness for home court advantage.

I'm always concerned of ND. But "concern" is one thing- what I expect is another. I still expect UCONN to in. I think two keys to the game are 1.) the backcourt (which UCONN has best - could (I said "could" - not 'is.") be one of the great backcourts ever in that MoJeff could be better than Bird and Nurse could become great. And 2.) the Refs.

I don't agree with those that suggested Butler wouldn't start. And anyone that had suggested UCONN couldn't be a running team with MoJeff/Nurse/Tuck and Stewie also on the floor - I think they are wrong.

But one thing I liked about Butler is if refs make ticky-tack fouls - it could be against one player in 1st half, or early 2nd half that changes the complexion of a game. For example Stewie picks up 2 ticky-tacks early - you could have "hidden" her for a time to guard a wing. Now - with no Butler - and we know ND's offense sometime is "throw your body into opposing player, " ad that too -> look how badly UCONN was beaten off the glass the last game vs ND. So if our guards "don't win" on the perimeter and our bigs get hit with ticky-tack fouls early in which we don't get into a rhythm and also would get pounded on the glass because of this foul trouble, then we would have problems.

While Stokes was "a non-factor" in game 2 directly. Indirectly she gave us toughness and intimidation. Her defense even indirectly was an impact. And Game 2 she was a huge impact. Too bad Butler couldn't play- even if she does not the same as having several games under your belt. Butler would have given UCONN another way to win even if Stewie or Tuck got into foul trouble and didn't play well. And it would have been good imo to see UCONN run well while Butler was in the game so we could have put the "we're not a runniggn team when Butler is in the game team" belief put to rest.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'll guess Mildred.

The Duck flies down again! I always felt she should have been called Martha, but Mildred works too. Hot apple pie cooling on the kitchen window ledge and suddenly a tornado!

Reaction Score
Let me understand the posters who talk about what Gabby can't do. Gabby didn't play a full season in her last two years of high school, was recovering from an ACL surgery, was asked to learn a new position (forward) on a two time NC team, has had an entire off season to work on her shortcomings, Tuck said she was the most improved player from last year, but they know she can't make free throws or a short jumper and will be a good role player. Boy I am glad she doesn't read the BY (I hope)!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Here's the way I see it. UConn has the best 4 starters in the nation--the 5th starter will be an experienced Gabby or a super frosh (better than ND frosh.) Who is ND's 5th starter? I say Gabby can equal whomever ND puts in as their 5th. In fact, isn't ND's 4th starter (I can't remember her name and I don't feel like looking it up) the outside shooter who is not that deadly, and also an average defender. IMHO (with or without Butler) everyone is chasing UConn at this point.
I couldn't agree more. I think this injury will give Gabby, Collier, and KLS an opportunity to play with the A team a lot and really get in the flow!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm glad it's at Gampel.
THIS!

The refs always scare me in tough road games. If the game is close because it is against a good team and on the road, the game is then in the hands of the refs who, at best, stink and, at worst, are biased and/or man hating.

Reaction Score
"This is the city - Los Angeles, California. Five million sun-baked people with half-baked ideas. Some of those ideas are illegal. That's where I come in. My name is Joe Friday. I carry a badge."
And he deserves respect. It's not an easy job.

Reaction Score
It would take many more injuries than Butler to in reality give nd a serious chance. The ONLY time that Muffet has been able to win against Geno is when she had superior experienced talent. nd defense has only been good at their best where UCONN defense is always at a much higher level. Compare the lineups. Who on nd could start for UCONN? Really only Turner. All their other players have only faded against UCONN. As far as all that nonsense about what a difference Achonwa would have made, bull. Just look at how she was dominated the previous year in the semi. What a joke that excuse is.

Reaction Score
It would take many more injuries than Butler to in reality give nd a serious chance. The ONLY time that Muffet has been able to win against Geno is when she had superior experienced talent. nd defense has only been good at their best where UCONN defense is always at a much higher level. Compare the lineups. Who on nd could start for UCONN? Really only Turner. All their other players have only faded against UCONN. As far as all that nonsense about what a difference Achonwa would have made, bull. Just look at how she was dominated the previous year in the semi. What a joke that excuse is.

I'm not sure what "a serious chance" means. I can "see" ND winning, but not sure how "serious" I can see it happening in Gampel. Though don't underestimate poor refereeing.

Last year's 2nd game in finals they had a chance. As great as UCONN was, ND was darn close.

I could see a MO Jeff/Allen/ and Kia and the 1/2/3 positions. Kia is very physical. So to answer your questions - ND could have 2 starters.

I believe Achonowa could have made a difference -- but with that said:
1--- When we lost Sveta and Shea years ago that was a difference maker in my book.

2-- Achonowa may NOT have made a difference other than making the score closer.

3-- If anyone wants to deal in "IFs" for 2013-2014 - KML was NOT the same player hen she came back. She WAS vital and played well enough in which she may have "saved" UCONN but the injury definitely slowed her down. The last 4 games of the NCAA Tourney not once did she shoot above 33% from 3 and was a combined 7 for 23 from 3. That's not KML. So add that injury to Tuck - it can equate to Achonowa.
SO I agree with you here regarding Achonowa- I don't want to hear the whining from it. .

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'm putting this out there as food for thought.

How will ND function without Loyd? Before the finals she said she was staying for her senior year despite the rumor mill. After the championship game, she declares for the WNBA draft.

What effect does her decision have on the mental make up of ND now? I know Muffet is a very good coach, but, can she and the team recover from the Loyd decision?

I don't have an answer.

I still see UCONN winning. We have too much fire power for ND to handle.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't agree with you on AO's quickness; unlike Loyd, I believe she'll struggle defensively because of it. We'll have to see how she does at the Div 1 level.

I didn't take Muffet's comments about moving Allen off the point as hypothetical. I interpreted her comments as recognizing that she needs to get scoring from the perimeter and right now Allen is her most skilled perimeter player.

Well...this is all moot now. Patberg tore her ACL. So I don't think Allen will be playing much wing.

Also relevant to this thread, sounds like Cable will be the 5th starter. Heard an interview with McGraw and she implied as much (at least the way I heard her).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well...this is all moot now. Patberg tore her ACL. So I don't think Allen will be playing much wing.

Also relevant to this thread, sounds like Cable will be the 5th starter. Heard an interview with McGraw and she implied as much (at least the way I heard her).

Condolences.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Ugh. I'm really saddened to hear this. I read your post and it felt like a punch to my gut. Best wishes in her recovery and I look forward to seeing her play in November 2016.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not being snarky or putting anyone down. Everyone has their favorite players and wants them to play as much as possible, I get that. If someone wants Gabby as the 5th starter, they should articulate why. Experience can't be the reason, because there are players more qualified than her in that department. This upcoming season seems like the first one in a while where there really is no reason to tinker with the starting line up. There is no one better than Mo-Nurse--Stewie-Tuck. Put the returning starters in their spots, and figure out what to do with KML's position. Who on this team can play the wing? That's who you start in my opinion, or at least lean towards assuming said player isn't completely dogging it in practice. Also, I don't see why Chong gets such short shrift just because everyone has become enamored with the Gabulous One. I like Gabby too, but maybe Chong should get a look if you're not going to go with one of the freshmen? Chong at least has some experience starting, is also supposedly just as fast as Mo, and as I mentioned has proven that she can shoot from distance and the free throw line, plus has one more year of experience on Gabby. I also hope Pulido gets some decent time at the end of games this year as she graduates with Mo and Stewie.
I want Gabby to be the 5th starter because she earned it based on her performance in the last exhibition game. There is still plenty of room on the Gabulous bandwagon. Should I reserve a seat or you?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All these worries about ND. Who is going to pick up where Lloyd left off? ND is to slow to guard us, our guards are to quick for NDs guards, ND has one go to player in Turner, UConn has 4, ND is to slow and non athletic on defense to keep up with us. Let me tell you I don't see ND coming close in this game. Stewie MoJeff Nurse and Tuck will have their way. Now if we get in foul trouble especially Stewie or we have injuries the game may be close but that's it folks. UConn will win this game big and they will win it with their quickness and athleticism. ND will be exposed in this game.

As far as Gabby. She looks really good. Could she start imo yes. Will she its up to Geno. When you see Gabby this season you wont believe how much better she is...shes Great. Huge improvement and she will only get better. Remember this about Gabby. She puts up big numbers. Big Numbers. She is very quick and her shot is much improved. Your going to be pleasantly surprised.

Reaction Score

A couple of thoughts. As we all do, I feel bad for Patberg. Point - My father was a strength and conditioning guy so it was always part of my experience. Looking around WBB and all the pro sports (football & basketball especially) IMHO we have come to the fine line of TOO MUCH training at a TOO HIGH LEVEL. In the 50's and 60's it was actually taboo to lift weights. Please name me key players from that era who constantly went down. Football I get because of the size and speed of the hitters. Basketball is another story. There is a point of diminishing returns. UConn has 5 players nicked up now. Lots of overuse and pushing too hard. I strongly believe in hard work, but shooting 500 3's is better than too much plyometrics or lifting.

To close - If ND is starting Reimer, Mabrey, & Cable then I will sleep better at night. ND plays the 2nd best team defense in the nation. However, individually that line up has at least two weaknesses and an average defender. If you get in Mabrey's & Reimer's face--then can't blow by you. I'll take Gabby as the 5th starter over Cable any day. (Some posters say if Gabby plays the wing then they can sag off her because she does not have an outside shot--well, sag off and she will blow by you or take you down low.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
A couple of thoughts. As we all do, I feel bad for Patberg. Point - My father was a strength and conditioning guy so it was always part of my experience. Looking around WBB and all the pro sports (football & basketball especially) IMHO we have come to the fine line of TOO MUCH training at a TOO HIGH LEVEL. In the 50's and 60's it was actually taboo to lift weights. Please name me key players from that era who constantly went down. Football I get because of the size and speed of the hitters. Basketball is another story. There is a point of diminishing returns. UConn has 5 players nicked up now. Lots of overuse and pushing too hard. I strongly believe in hard work, but shooting 500 3's is better than too much plyometrics or lifting.

To close - If ND is starting Reimer, Mabrey, & Cable then I will sleep better at night. ND plays the 2nd best team defense in the nation. However, individually that line up has at least two weaknesses and an average defender. If you get in Mabrey's & Reimer's face--then can't blow by you. I'll take Gabby as the 5th starter over Cable any day. (Some posters say if Gabby plays the wing then they can sag off her because she does not have an outside shot--well, sag off and she will blow by you or take you down low.

They'll start that way, but they won't necessarily finish that way. I expect a lot of mix and matching. ND has a lot of good options but not a one-size-fits-all lineup. That's an underrated part of Loyd being gone. She was so versatile that you could have the same lineup play a different way just by changing her role.

Alas, Patberg's injury takes away some options, including the idea of having Allen play some wing.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Me too Rocky, me too...ND always scares me no matter who we have or don't have playing.

Me three. ND has still got "unfinished business" with (I was going to say "us") UConn. ND is T-I-R-E-D of losing to the Huskies in their recent meetings.
I think if ND could only win one game all year, it would be against UConn. The passion and desire to beat UConn that was stoked years ago has not faded.
The flaming desire of defeating UConn remains as fervent as ever. They want the Huskies, and they want them bad.

Like other BY posters, I think they had their best chance last year. I would be surprised if this year's ND team is as "potent" as last year's squad.
They have no one on their roster that can come close to replacing Jewell Loyd, in terms of production, or leadership. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom