12/11 Rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

12/11 Rankings

Reaction Score
What 4 wins does Purdue have better than our UNC win? Only Marquette is ranked higher than UNC. Purdue's ranked wins are Marquette, TN & Zags...only Marquette is ranked better than UNC .....Tenn has 3 losses & Zags just lost to Wash.
By Kenpom right now, relevant teams:

3 Purdue
4 UConn
5 Marquette
9 Tennessee
10 Kansas
12 Gonzaga
13 Alabama
16 North Carolina
36 Texas
41 Northwestern
45 Xavier
58 Iowa
76 Indiana

Their schedule is significantly better than ours. Our three best wins are 16, 36, and 76. They have 5, 9, 12, 13 all better than our win v 16, and then place a few more teams in before our third best win. Their loss (41 Northwestern) is worse than ours (10 Kansas), but this just isn't really a conversation. Tennessee has three losses...vs. Purdue, Kansas, and @ North Carolina. That's a good team, and it's not like UNC ran them out of the gym at home.

Reaction Score
By Kenpom right now, relevant teams:

3 Purdue
4 UConn
5 Marquette
9 Tennessee
10 Kansas
12 Gonzaga
13 Alabama
16 North Carolina
36 Texas
41 Northwestern
45 Xavier
58 Iowa
76 Indiana

Their schedule is significantly better than ours. Our three best wins are 16, 36, and 76. They have 5, 9, 12, 13 all better than our win v 16, and then place a few more teams in before our third best win. Their loss (41 Northwestern) is worse than ours (10 Kansas), but this just isn't really a conversation. Tennessee has three losses...vs. Purdue, Kansas, and @ North Carolina. That's a good team, and it's not like UNC ran them out of the gym at home.
If Kenpom identified who's the best team always then Houston would win the title every year.

Not saying Purdue hasn't played a better schedule than us.....I was commenting on statement of UNC being a worse team than TN, Zags and Bama...I totally disagree with that Idea. TN lost to UNC and TN best win is Illinois so I don't care if Kenpom says TN better than UNC...they are not. Alabama has beat nobody...so again the idea better than UNC is based on what? Bama lost to Clemson & Oh St.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Kenpom identified who's the best team always then Houston would win the title every year.

Not saying Purdue hasn't played a better schedule than us.....I was commenting on statement of UNC being a worse team than TN, Zags and Bama...I totally disagree with that Idea. TN lost to UNC and TN best win is Illinois so I don't care if Kenpom says TN better than UNC...they are not. Alabama has beat nobody...so again the idea better than UNC is based on what? Bama lost to Clemson & Oh St.
Can’t keep changing the goalposts. You asked a specific question, he answered with proof.

Reaction Score
I don't think you can rank regular season teams based on their conference's recent history. Who have you played and who have you beat? That's about all you can really do.
I kno. Just so funny how every year the pollsters favor the big 10 and every year they disappoint. And we’re the defending champs. Funny. U think some pollsters would learn.

Reaction Score
I kno. Just so funny how every year the pollsters favor the big 10 and every year they disappoint. And we’re the defending champs. Funny. U think some pollsters would learn.
The poll is only a snapshot in time. B1G Ten teams can't claim to have any weight -post season until they start winning in March.
UConn has shown that when it counts- they win

Reaction Score
I really don’t get teams defending Purdue. I’ve only seen them a couple times but seems they all double Edey leaving wide open shooters and Edey still ends up getting 25. I get most teams don’t have a Clingan to defend him but seems like the best strategy for them is let Edey get his and defend the rest ideally without fouling.

Reaction Score
Can’t keep changing the goalposts. You asked a specific question, he answered with proof.
lol...what goalposts & what proof. My original post said UNC was a better win than TN, Zags & Bama.. It is. Kenpom rankings in Dec don't overide wins & losses. UNC beat TN, etc. I did't realize Kepom ranking was a drop the mic reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Worthy loss is still a loss they shouldve dropped. It was a fun game to watch but lets be realistic they spent most of htat game behind and the lead floated around 10-15 most of the second half and we won by double digits. It wasnt a close game and at no point in that game did i think we were in any serious danger. We lost to Kansas at Kansas by 4 and dropped. I think UNC not moving is disrespectful.
As I said in another thread, UNC is super-duper overrated at #9. The only thing that may keep them there is the fact that the rest of the ACC is awful.

Reaction Score
lol...what goalposts & what proof. My original post said UNC was a better win than TN, Zags & Bama.. It is. Kenpom rankings in Dec don't overide wins & losses. UNC beat TN, etc. I did't realize Kepom ranking was a drop the mic reply.
He said they have 4 better wins. According to Kenpom, they do. You’re opinion of who is better certainly isn’t a drop of the mic reply either.

Reaction Score
He said they have 4 better wins. According to Kenpom, they do. You’re opinion of who is better certainly isn’t a drop of the mic reply either.
I never said my opinion mattered more than Kenpom but actual head to head wins do matter more than Kenpom in early Dec and UNC beat TN by 8 points...so I'd say UNC is better. Kenpom thinks Bama is better than UNC at this moment when Bama has ZERO meaningful wins and 3 loses. Kenpom not exactly the last word in early Dec.

Last edited:
Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
There's a lot of teams out there, Houston and Baylor that havent played the most competitive OOC schedule that I have no idea how good they actually are. Similarly, on paper i feel like Providence is not nearly as good as they were last year but Kim English has opted for a relatively easy schedule to help pump up their win/loss record. I think they are ok, I'm not sure how they'll fair in the Big East especially against the 3 headed monster in Marquette, Creighton and UConn. I'm not sure there are any locks to get into the NCAA tournament outside of the 3 from the big east this year.
I get what you are saying, but I think Providence has as much chance as anyone to win it all (the NIT that is).

Reaction Score
So BYU loses to Utah and only drops 3 spots

Meanwhile Texas loses to Marquette and drops 7

Reaction Score
For the record, this is the magical Week 6 AP Poll. Every year for the past 19 seasons the champion has been in the top 12 of the Week 6 AP Poll. And for the last 23 years, the champion has been higher in this poll than previous polls. This week's ranking is consistently more accurate for March success than the final AP poll ranking a week before the tournament (and not just for the top 12).

We're officially in the hunt.
where do you get this stuff? fascinating.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Kenpom #1 wins the title more often than not (13 of the last 23). Of course, we have to see if Houston remains at #1 since the season is only about 25% complete for teams that will play deep into March. I don't disagree that there isn't much difference between UNC, Gonzaga, Tennessee and Alabama, but KP is a good metric and as of right now, they're better than UNC until they aren't. H2H is less relevant in my eyes: if Arkansas Pine-Bluff are they better than UConn? No. Good teams lose games and bad teams beat good teams over the course of a season. Purdue is 4-1 vs Q1 and 2-0 vs Q2 whereas UConn is 1-1 and 1-0 vs the same quadrants.

I'd also like to point out that our strength of victory and overall schedule isn't too different from Houston's at this point. We've played bigger brands, but they are 3-0 in Q1. They've only played 1 more Q4 game than UConn. Average KP rating of their top 100 wins: 46.67. UConn average rating of top 100 wins: 42.67. Our top 3 wins have come at MSG which we like to brag is a home court for UConn, while theirs have come at two neutral locations and on the road.

Reaction Score
Kenpom #1 wins the title more often than not (13 of the last 23).
Unless your looking at pre-tourney data, that's not a completely predictive stat. A champion has 6 postseason wins factored into their ranking.

For example, we were Kenpom 4 going into the tournament last year

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Actually, Peacock announced in October they reached the 30 million subscribers milestone.
big bang theory sarcasm GIF

Reaction Score
Kenpom #1 wins the title more often than not (13 of the last 23). Of course, we have to see if Houston remains at #1 since the season is only about 25% complete for teams that will play deep into March.

I'd also like to point out that our strength of victory and overall schedule isn't too different from Houston's at this point. We've played bigger brands, but they are 3-0 in Q1. They've only played 1 more Q4 game than UConn. Average KP rating of their top 100 wins: 46.67. UConn average rating of top 100 wins: 42.67. Our top 3 wins have come at MSG which we like to brag is a home court for UConn, while theirs have come at two neutral locations and on the road.
Unless your looking at pre-tourney data, that's not a completely predictive stat. A champion has 6 postseason wins factored into their ranking.

For example, we were Kenpom 4 going into the tournament last year
3 of the past 22 pre-tournament KenPom #1 have won it all (2008 Kansas, 2019 Virginia, and 2012 Kentucky).

18 of the 22 were pre-tournament top 6. That's your sweet spot. 13/22 top 4. #2 has been the most common with 5 champions.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
3 of the past 22 pre-tournament KenPom #1 have won it all (2008 Kansas, 2019 Virginia, and 2012 Kentucky).

18 of the 22 were pre-tournament top 6. That's your sweet spot. 13/22 top 4. #2 has been the most common with 5 champions.
What was UConn's KenPom pre season rankings the last three championships?

Reaction Score
What was UConn's KenPom pre season rankings the last three championships?
#16, #25, and #4.

'04 was #5. I'm guessing '99 was somewhere in the #3-5 range since they finished #3 behind Mi St (and Mi St didn't have a particularly strong NCAA run so that means UConn was gaining ground, not the other way around).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
#16, #25, and #4.

'04 was #5. I'm guessing '99 was somewhere in the #3-5 range since they finished #3 behind Mi St (and Mi St didn't have a particularly strong NCAA run so that means UConn was gaining ground, not the other way around).
Thanks for getting this. There were only four times in the past 23 years that a non KenPom top 6 pre season ranked team won the tourney championship. UConn disrupts the college bb blue blood scene and math analytical nerds as well. Good thing you don't root for another team. You'd suffer on two counts.

Reaction Score
Good reading in this thread, but who cares on December 12th whether we’re 3,4,5? We’re in this and no matter where all good. Just the way I look at it, no worries it will all work out.

Long long way to go!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom