12/11 Rankings | Page 3 | The Boneyard

12/11 Rankings

Reaction Score
BYU lost by 4, Texas lost by 40.
It was 21 which still ain’t a great look but you have two losses to top 5 teams vs a loss to Utah team that can’t possibly be good (Lost to SJU)

Reaction Score
Interesting. Marquette, Creighton and Gonzaga are the only three of the top 25 that do NOT play D1 football.
Those are all Jesuit Schools
and most of their schools dropped football in the early 1959’s Fordham and Marquette were major players in their day . The undefeated 1951 San Francisco team might have been the best team in the country but was integrated and the only bowl out of the Deep South was The Rose Bowl was was contracted to the PAC - Big 10 winners . They were invited but only with white players they refused the offer
HOF ‘s RB Ollie Matson and DE Gino Marchetti were on the team . Their publicist was HOF . .commissioner Pete Roselle . Long time NFL player Ed Brown was their QB as well as a running back named Tovar who had a career ending injury in the old college all star vs NFL game.
The only FBS team left is BC
But a number play FCS or D2 like

Reaction Score
Good reading in this thread, but who cares on December 12th whether we’re 3,4,5? We’re in this and no matter where all good. Just the way I look at it, no worries it will all work out.

Long long way to go!
A win at Gonzaga and unless we under perform in conference we‘re pretty much a 1or 2 seed
Next weeks poll is the first one I pay attention to.as it establishes critical strength of conference important for seeding.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
#16, #25, and #4.

'04 was #5. I'm guessing '99 was somewhere in the #3-5 range since they finished #3 behind Mi St (and Mi St didn't have a particularly strong NCAA run so that means UConn was gaining ground, not the other way around).
If you're referring to Michigan St in the 1999 tournament, they made it to the national semifinal game and lost to (an allegedly invincible) Duke.

Reaction Score
This was written a few years ago, but has continued to be true for each year since:
He updated it for ESPN+ with a special shout-out to us.

One program in particular has compiled a remarkable body of work in the area of "polling outliers among national champions."

Week 6 gets an extraordinary lift from UConn's last three titles​

In both the 1998-99 and 2003-04 seasons, UConn's rankings looked very much like those that would be posted by a "normal" eventual national champion. The Huskies were ranked in the top 10 for the entirety of both seasons, a distinction carried by 21 of 38 champions since the field expanded to 64 teams in 1985.

Titles won by UConn in 2010-11, 2013-14 and 2022-23, however, capped off seasons that displayed much more unusual trajectories as captured by the AP poll. Those three titles were won under three different head coaches, with a gap of no less than nine years between the second and third championships in that run.

Yet somehow each title season followed a strikingly similar sequence:

1. Enter the season unranked or, at best, No. 25
  2. Go undefeated for the first nine to 14 games
  3. Peak in the AP poll in Week 6
  4. Suffer six to nine losses in conference play
  5. Win the national championship
Bear in mind, Week 6 was already best-in-class among AP polls for championship forecasting prior to last season. Now, thanks to the uncannily consistent UConn Huskies, Week 6's preeminence is even more pronounced.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was 21 which still ain’t a great look but you have two losses to top 5 teams vs a loss to Utah team that can’t possibly be good (Lost to SJU)
Did you watch the game? 40 was an exaggeration, but that games not even 21-point-final-score close. It was a debagging and teabagging of just epic proportions.
Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 9.07.18 AM.png

Reaction Score
Just checked Houston's schedule.

Oh my, they haven't played anyone.

Utah, I suppose, is their best game.
That's pretty much how it is every year. If they had done anything in the tournament each year I could give them a pass but they fail over and again so I'll go with their ratings as being part of a major conspiracy..........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
He updated it for ESPN+ with a special shout-out to us.

So, UConn, Marquette, Creighton, Kansas, Purdue, Arizona.

I seriously doubt that UNC gets it act together, but with Davis they very well may.

Reaction Score
That's pretty much how it is every year. If they had done anything in the tournament each year I could give them a pass but they fail over and again so I'll go with their ratings as being part of a major conspiracy..........:rolleyes:
Sampson has gotten to the Sweet 16 or better in the last four tourneys so he’s somehow gotten away with loading up on non conference patsies. Kudos to him. But he’s now going to have to deal with slightly better competition in conference than Memphis (sarcasm), so we’ll see how long they hold on to that top 10 ranking.

Reaction Score
Odd stat, Big 12 has 11 teams undefeated in conference play after 5-7 games, while the other 3 have all the losses

Reaction Score
Odd stat, Big 12 has 11 teams undefeated in conference play after 5-7 games, while the other 3 have all the losses
Big 12 teams have played conference games?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom