#11 UCLA @ #8 Oregon - 1/03/21 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

#11 UCLA @ #8 Oregon - 1/03/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
From when the game was tied at 71 both teams made error after error, so not a great finish, but an entertaining game to watch.

Interestingly to see Graves prefer the Freshman in fourth, when they made there 11-0 run to tie.

Dugalic and Pao Pao where great overall but made a couple of errors down the stretch.
  • Dugalic made no attempt to box out Onyenwere on her missed three, which lead to her rebound and go-ahead 2.
  • Pao Pao made to an extra pass to Dugalic for an open 3, but it would have been much better for her to take the shot after Shelley had already penetrated and kicked it out to her.
  • Pao Pao dribbled out most of the 7 secs on clock on the last possession for contested in the lane.
Did you ever see Ionesco and Hebard their freshmen season. It was gross at times then

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What was UCLA doing the last 25 seconds? The play by play shows 3 turnovers. Were they incapable of passing or dribbling against Oregon's pressure?

Reaction Score
What was UCLA doing the last 25 seconds? The play by play shows 3 turnovers. Were they incapable of passing or dribbling against Oregon's pressure?
One of those turnovers was a super-quick 5-second in-bounds call. Another was Close having a guard inbound it to Onyenwere, then O loses the handle and loses the ball out of bounds, untouched.

I know UCLA is shorthanded (unless some more high school kids enroll), but it’s long term - pretty much they have what they’re gonna have. OTOH, Oregon was missing Chavez & Prince today. If they played again in a week I’d still take Oregon.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I think Oregon wins if they can get to 70 points in the game, because UCLA has barely cracked the 70 point threshold and it's been against the worst teams in the conference.
Well, I was wrong, but just barely! UCLA was able to squeeze out 73 points, which was just enough!

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
As an Oregon fan, I of course wish the Ducks had won, but, overall, I'm not really all that disappointed. The game was (I hope) a good lesson for the freshmen (and Sabally, as well, since she's really also a first-year player), who likely have never faced the kind of pressure/quickness UCLA brings to the table. Given that, I think they responded about as well as one could hope, and it seems to me no accident that Oregon played its best with at least 3 of them (sometimes 4, or 5 if you count Sabally) on the court. My major gripe, which I've said before, is Mikesell. Although I understand the reasoning in recruiting her, I think the team would be better off (later this season and long term) if her minutes were distributed, say, among Scherr, Parrish, and Dugalich. But, in any case, this is the first time around. (Stanford will likely be much worse.) And I expect things will be different when the teams meet again in LA (assuming that's allowed).

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It was a disaster. Oregon needed to foul and instead of letting them Foul the team and go to the line, UCLA tried to dribble away and twice stepped out of bounds. This is where Cori earns her “poor coaching” moniker. She made the game close, no pun intended.
Plebe is right, virtually all of us predicted Oregon and while Oregon was missing Chavez and Prince, they still played 10 players to UCLA’s paltry 8 players including the HS girl who just joined the team.
Make no mistake, this was a great win for UCLA. Though I still think the KY-MSU game was better and higher scoring!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It was a disaster. Oregon needed to foul and instead of letting them Foul the team and go to the line, UCLA tried to dribble away and twice stepped out of bounds. This is where Cori earns her “poor coaching” moniker. She made the game close, no pun intended.
Plebe is right, virtually all of us predicted Oregon and while Oregon was missing Chavez and Prince, they still played 10 players to UCLA’s paltry 8 players including the HS girl who just joined the team.
Make no mistake, this was a great win for UCLA. Though I still think the KY-MSU game was better and higher scoring!
When you factor out the overtime period, the scoring was very similar. And never mind the fact that MSU's awful defense gifted KY most of their points in the last 15 minutes of the game.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
When you factor out the overtime period, the scoring was very similar. And never mind the fact that MSU's awful defense gifted KY most of their points in the last 15 minutes of the game.
Come on Plebe, cheer up, I am just messin with ya, it’s a new year and we had a great day of basketball! Only blemish was ND winning...

Tell you what, I put UCLA in my Top 10 and I still have Oregon ahead of Kentucky and MSU! Can we be friends again?
;)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Come on Plebe, cheer up, I am just messin with ya, it’s a new year and we had a great day of basketball! Only blemish was ND winning...

Tell you what, I put UCLA in my Top 10 and I still have Oregon ahead of Kentucky and MSU! Can we be friends again?
;)
Ha it's all in good fun! Don't fall for my schtick. Well, not all of it anyway.

It's a great new year and I've never been more grateful :)

Reaction Score
Did you ever see Ionesco and Hebard their freshmen season. It was gross at times then
I think they went 18-12, 8-10 in conference losing twice each to UCLA, Stanford, Beavers, UW and a few more. But won their way to the Elite 8 from a 10 seed in an improbable tournament run. Then destroyed by UConn. Finished 23-14 losing that one and the Pac-12 CG to Stanford.
As fans we were thrilled...then. Higher expectations for this team, I guess, but still a lot of parts to come together. Graves sez: Expects them to be a "tough out in March"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As an Oregon fan, I of course wish the Ducks had won, but, overall, I'm not really all that disappointed. The game was (I hope) a good lesson for the freshmen (and Sabally, as well, since she's really also a first-year player), who likely have never faced the kind of pressure/quickness UCLA brings to the table. Given that, I think they responded about as well as one could hope, and it seems to me no accident that Oregon played its best with at least 3 of them (sometimes 4, or 5 if you count Sabally) on the court. My major gripe, which I've said before, is Mikesell. Although I understand the reasoning in recruiting her, I think the team would be better off (later this season and long term) if her minutes were distributed, say, among Scherr, Parrish, and Dugalich. But, in any case, this is the first time around. (Stanford will likely be much worse.) And I expect things will be different when the teams meet again in LA (assuming that's allowed).
And Mikesell is not much of a ball handiler and does not play defense.

Reaction Score
I think they went 18-12, 8-10 in conference losing twice each to UCLA, Stanford, Beavers, UW and a few more. But won their way to the Elite 8 from a 10 seed in an improbable tournament run. Then destroyed by UConn.
And this team is doing better than expected for a rebuild. Funny how a few are ready to forget that they lost some experience in tight games. All is good with a split next weekend. I wonder if Oregon State out affected prep for USC and UCLA. It is good to have a strong partner.

Reaction Score
Funny how a few are ready to forget that they lost some experience in tight games
Case in point Mikesell dribbling aimlessly with 25 secs to go and Sabally gets open rolling to the basket. (Now sub Sabrina and Ruthie there) ... and that pass gets made. Instead a (bs) offensive foul on Mikesell turns the ball over. Ouch.
To give Mikesell some credit I'm guessing Coach wanted them to run the clock down and go for a winning 3 (or rebound and tie) but still...

Reaction Score
It kills me that ESPN picks up so few of these PAC12 games. Such a shame.
Yes, still haven’t seen any of the PAC 12 teams play except Stanford when ESPN aired Tara’s all-time winning record game. Eager to see Oregon especially!

Reaction Score
Only 3 of us picked UCLA. Looks like too many bandwagon fans for Oregon.
Yeah... as I've been saying... a work in progress. Expect two losses to Stan, maybe split on road to Arizona schools, maybe a road upset by COL or UTAH plus UCLA rematch. Expect all home wins except for Stanford: CAL, UW, WSU, OSU, AZ, ASU.
I'm just thrilled to have WBB at all and hoping all can keep it together and have a tournament this year.

Reaction Score
Case in point Mikesell dribbling aimlessly with 25 secs to go and Sabally gets open rolling to the basket. (Now sub Sabrina and Ruthie there) ... and that pass gets made. Instead a (bs) offensive foul on Mikesell turns the ball over. Ouch.
To give Mikesell some credit I'm guessing Coach wanted them to run the clock down and go for a winning 3 (or rebound and tie) but still...
I would not have Mikesell starting but I am not the coach.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It kills me that ESPN picks up so few of these PAC12 games. Such a shame.
They cannot. They are the property of the Pac12 and only those games that are negotiated with ESPN can be shown. Blame the Commissioner of the Pac12. There are a number of cable companies that had to drop the conference because they could not reach an agreement with him.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What is the name of the announcer of that game? I can't handle her and find her very irritating.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
They cannot. They are the property of the Pac12 and only those games that are negotiated with ESPN can be shown. Blame the Commissioner of the Pac12. There are a number of cable companies that had to drop the conference because they could not reach an agreement with him.

I've seen this before but it doesn't make any sense. First of all they have had some games on. In particular Stanford. I believe ESPN has to negotiate with all the conferences to show games. Why would the commissioner of the PAC12 do something that deliberately reduces national exposure? There's got to be more to it than that.

Reaction Score
Great game!! It was close for a moment and then UCLA went up 11 points but Oregon battled back. No way UCLA beats this team if the Ducks are at full strength. No way. But as it is, you get the wins when you can. Congrats UCLA.

Reaction Score
Great game!! It was close for a moment and then UCLA went up 11 points but Oregon battled back. No way UCLA beats this team if the Ducks are at full strength. No way. But as it is, you get the wins when you can. Congrats UCLA.
Full strength, I believe UCLA was not at full strength. No Horvat and no Aussies with an 8 player rotation one been a high school player suiting up. I believe Oregon had lots of fresh bodies and talent on the floor, no excuses. Seems if you wanted to beat UCLA,they were at a disadvantage and not Oregon?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom