#11 UCLA @ #8 Oregon - 1/03/21 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

#11 UCLA @ #8 Oregon - 1/03/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Full strength, I believe UCLA was not at full strength. No Horvat and no Aussies with an 8 player rotation one been a high school player suiting up. I believe Oregon had lots of fresh bodies and talent on the floor, no excuses. Seems if you wanted to beat UCLA,they were at a disadvantage and not Oregon?
Good points. But I am still taking Oregon with everyone back.

Reaction Score
Full strength, I believe UCLA was not at full strength. No Horvat and no Aussies with an 8 player rotation one been a high school player suiting up. I believe Oregon had lots of fresh bodies and talent on the floor, no excuses. Seems if you wanted to beat UCLA,they were at a disadvantage and not Oregon?
Oregon didn't have their best player most likely (Sedona Prince) . She would have made a huge difference .

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Oregon didn't have their best player most likely (Sedona Prince) . She would have made a huge difference .

Not to mention Chavez who very likely wouldve been out there in place of Mikesell down the stretch. UCLA looked better than Oregon yesterday but Oregon was without 2 very key players.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I've seen this before but it doesn't make any sense. First of all they have had some games on. In particular Stanford. I believe ESPN has to negotiate with all the conferences to show games. Why would the commissioner of the PAC12 do something that deliberately reduces national exposure? There's got to be more to it than that.
Ask some Pac12 fans. They will tell you.

Reaction Score
No excuses. You play with who you got. Ducks or UCLA.
Does anybody want to replay the ORE-BAY Final Four game when the Ducks went in with 7 healthy players... a bench of Lydia Giomi and undersized F Oti Gildon. Forced to sub injured (chronic back) Morgan Yaeger (since retired due to injury) who played at half speed as only G sub.
(sorry for the deep dive ... not sure people understood a lot of this at the time)

Last edited:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I agree, but it now looks like Prince won't be on the court for some time, since she recently told a fan that she "could barely walk" because of the pain she was experiencing. That suggests more serious physical issues than what seemed like an ankle sprain several games ago. She certainly deserves better after sitting out two years.

Reaction Score
Oregon drops to 3rd in Massey ratings. Stanford and UConn ahead. SoCar 4th.
Not sure what the expected road loss to Stanford next week will do.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
First off, Oregon is still very, very good. Second, Chavez is 5th in minutes per game and has only started 4 of the 7 games she was available. Third, Mikesell is 2nd in minutes played per game so just stop with the narrative that Mikesell would not be on the floor. Also, Mikesell is in her 3rd year so she IS EXPERIENCED and just had a blunder. Fourth, Prince IS NOT the best player on this team. She's a shell of her USA Basketball playing past and has played in 6 of 9 games, starting 3. She's coming in at 16 min per game (7th) and is 5th in ppg 8.7. She's not remotely healthy enough and may never be.

This game was at home for Oregon and was a good win by a good UCLA team. Just stop with the narrative that this team was only beaten due to their 6th and 7th best players not being available. That is not true.

Take the loss with some dignity and move on. Beat them at Pauly Pavilion and then a better discussion can take place.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Reaction Score
I think if you're Oregon, the bigger concern is Erin Boley disappearing in a big game for the team, let alone the issues they had. It was the freshman who kept Oregon in this game, an there's a bright future here, but it's not quite here yet.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Ask some Pac12 fans. They will tell you.
Pac-12 fans have a lot of complaints about the commissioner. But hopefully we won't tell you that Pac-12 Networks doesn't allow ESPN to show games that ESPN wants to show. I am not fully up on the details, especially for WBB, but certainly for football, Pac-12 Networks has lowest priority, showing the games that ESPN and other cooperating networks don't take.

Reaction Score
I think they went 18-12, 8-10 in conference losing twice each to UCLA, Stanford, Beavers, UW and a few more. But won their way to the Elite 8 from a 10 seed in an improbable tournament run. Then destroyed by UConn. Finished 23-14 losing that one and the Pac-12 CG to Stanford.
As fans we were thrilled...then. Higher expectations for this team, I guess, but still a lot of parts to come together. Graves sez: Expects them to be a "tough out in March"
Mostly true. However, Oregon didn't make the PAC-12 Tournament's championship game during the '16-'17 season. Oregon State and Stanford played in the championship game in Seattle in March 2017 with the Cardinal avenging two conference losses to the Beavers with a low-scoring win in the final. Stanford had eliminated the young Ducks in the semis of the conference tourney in 2017.

Reaction Score
Oregon should win. UCLA needs good shooting to stay in the game, because they are over matched. Oregon is the second best team in the Pac 12.
This game was a perfect example of how many teams in the Pac 12 are capable of beating each other on any given night. UCLA had some very hot shooting from both Onyenwere and Osborne while some of their own scores disappeared. Sabally probably had one of the worst games I have ever seen her play. It was so bad that Greaves pulled her out right after her return to the game for Geomi. She did play somewhat better in the second half, but her subpar play was one reason that Dugalics got so much playing time in the post. In Saballys defense, she was beat on pretty badly and got no calls because of her size. One example was in the third quarter when Osborne slamed into her elbow as she was dribbling and she lost the ball. The motor mouthed announcer said Osborne stripped the ball with he hands. Those announcers might do better watching the game rather than motor mouthing.

UCLA, much like Arizona can beat anyone when their key players are on, but when they are not they can get blown out by the elite teams much like they did aganst Stanford. Saballys subpar game really hurt because Prince was not available. Geomi, was not a good sub because the team needed scoring out of the center position due to Boleys and Micksells poor shooting. Thus they played Dugalics at the post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom