1080 this morning | Page 2 | The Boneyard

1080 this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yet Boise is the best bet for the BE? And with Boise in the BE, the TV contract will be the biggest and bestest yet (according to some posters). Everything you wrote about Boise and the Pac12 applies to Boise and the BE.

That is not true at all. The Pac 12 has 12 members and teams that are highly ranked. Your statement is the furthest thing from the truth. What Boise brings to the Big East is in no way comparable to what they wouldn't bring to the Pac 12.

Reaction Score
If PAC-12 turned down OU, you really think they would add Boise St. Not a fat chance that will happen.

UCF president is right, the longer we drag this on the more paranoia we will see. People are jumping to different conclusions daily regarding the BE expansion. BE office is run by morons. If they have any intelligence, they would at least give some assurance to the fanbase that's about to fall apart.

FYI, I believe Boise, UCF, Houston and SMU are aboard. BYU is a big question mark. I believe BE does want them but they already have a TV deal and they are kind of difficult to deal with. I don't have any idea on the academies but I believe Navy is probably in with following behind. I believe SDSU is BYU's backup if BYU does not come aboard.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Who reported this? Was it based on 1080's own reporting? Obviously this is a big deal but my wire services feed hasn't picked up on it yet?

LOL ok Huggy Bear, like you're the only one with the word on the street.

You're unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
ok Huggy Bear

those three words just made me laugh out loud. this is who I saw when I read it.
images

I went old school Huggy Bear, not Snoop Dog Huggy Bear.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't surprise me one single bit that this was the case. The Big East is run by the most INCOMPETENT commissioner in the history of D1 athletics! The day Mike Tranghese retired was the day the Big East was doomed!
Tranghese never retired and neither did Dave Gavitt. Gavitt ruled the Big East til the day he died and Marinatto and Tranghese were his puppets after his public retirement. The Big East was doomed way back in 1986 when Gavitt told Penn State to take a hike after they applied for membership in The Big East. The skinny back then was Penn State sucked in basketball and Gavitt just didn't want them in his bball league, he also felt they devoted way too much of their athletic budget to Jopa and Football.

Reaction Score
Thankfully I also understand that reporting of facts and reporting of opinion are two different things. The latter is what occurred, hence not making it across...ahem...a newswire feed. But thanks for playing!

LOL ok Huggy Bear, like you're the only one with the word on the street.

You're unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Can you blame them. Everybody in the world knows that the remaining BE football schools are bolting at the 1st opportunity.
Why would the service academies & Boise wish to get involved with a terminally ill conference.
Wouldn't going independent at least be better for UCONN's basketball programs in that they wouldn't have to share any revenue with the rest of the league? Just wondering. Pretty sure that both the mens and womens programs are big money makers.

Reaction Score
Tranghese never retired and neither did Dave Gavitt. Gavitt ruled the Big East til the day he died and Marinatto and Tranghese were his puppets after his public retirement. The Big East was doomed way back in 1986 when Gavitt told Penn State to take a hike after they applied for membership in The Big East. The skinny back then was Penn State sucked in basketball and Gavitt just didn't want them in his bball league, he also felt they devoted way too much of their athletic budget to Jopa and Football.
Paterno claims that this is not the way it happened. He claims that he spoke to some Big East schools about forming an all sports conference, and they weren't interested because they were excited about Big East basketball. He says that Penn State had no interest in being in a basketball conference, and absolutely never applied.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Paterno claims that this is not the way it happened. He claims that he spoke to some Big East schools about forming an all sports conference, and they weren't interested because they were excited about Big East basketball. He says that Penn State had no interest in being in a basketball conference, and absolutely never applied.

You said Paterno. Heh, heh. heh, heh, heh.

Reaction Score
If he said that then he's full of it, they formally applied and were rejected. He did try to form a northeast football league but that was after the rejection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_East_Conference

Reaction Score
Sorry counselor, if you don't think it's accurate then go in there and change it. ;)

How about Yahoo Sports? Accurate?

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-10270855

That is fan submitted. Paterno is on record (for whatever that is worth) as saying that the Big East did not turn down Penn St. Penn St. wanted an all sports league and the Big East was not ready to have one.

http://timeswv.com/wvu_sports/x185145425/Paterno-s-dream-conference-shot-down-by-Pitt

According to this story it's all Pitt's fault because they didn't want to form a football conference with Penn St. The other interesting thing here is that the Big East football conference sort of formed independently and then grafted itself onto the Big East basketball conference.

Reaction Score
Sorry counselor, if you don't think it's accurate then go in there and change it. ;)

How about Yahoo Sports? Accurate?

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-10270855

I don't know if it is correct or incorrect. All I'm saying, which is true, is that Wikipedia posts are anonymous, non-expert submissions. You do not know who submits them, and you therefore have no way to judge their veracity. Relying on them for anything makes little sense.

Do you disagree with that? Or you just don't like something you post being criticized?

Reaction Score
I don't know if it is correct or incorrect. All I'm saying, which is true, is that Wikipedia posts are anonymous, non-expert submissions. You do not know who submits them, and you therefore have no way to judge their veracity. Relying on them for anything makes little sense.

Do you disagree with that? Or you just don't like something you post being criticized?
I understand your criticism and agree with you but only to a point, on Wikpedia. All their articles are moderated and if something questionable is added to an article it is quickly removed, and if something new is added it always needs to be verified with REAL SOURCES, links, copyrighted material, etc that might possibly and grudgingly cause you to give it a passing grade? That being said, I would never RELY on Wikpedia as a source, but as a quick reference I have no problems with it. I mean if nitpicking is your thing, mine isn't, then I see your concerns.

Reaction Score
I understand your criticism and agree with you but only to a point, on Wikpedia. All their articles are moderated and if something questionable is added to an article it is quickly removed, and if something new is added it always needs to be verified with REAL SOURCES, links, copyrighted material, etc that might possibly and grudgingly cause you to give it a passing grade. That being said, I would never RELY on Wikpedia as a source, but as a quick reference I have no problems with it. I mean if nitpicking is your thing, mine isn't, then I see your concerns.

What about the personal accounts from people who were there and say that Penn St. never applied to join the BE basketball conference like in the link I posted and what Paterno actually said about a month ago when asked about it?

Reaction Score
What about the personal accounts from people who were there and say that Penn St. never applied to join the BE basketball conference like in the link I posted and what Paterno actually said about a month ago when asked about it?
What people who were there? People like Jerry Sandusky? Jopa? I don't know, it depends on who you want to believe I guess. I would tend to believe Crouthamel and Tranghese, and it makes sense that Pitt torpedoed the whole thing much like Flipper torpedoed UCONN coming to the ACC to remain dominant in New England football markets. Read this....

http://articles.mcall.com/2011-09-1...20110919_1_penn-state-mike-tranghese-big-east

Reaction Score
What people who were there? People like Jerry Sandusky? Jopa? I don't know, it depends on who you want to believe I guess. I would tend to believe Crouthamel and Tranghese, and it makes sense that Pitt torpedoed the whole thing much like Flipper torpedoed UCONN coming to the ACC to remain dominant in New England football markets. Read this....

http://articles.mcall.com/2011-09-1...20110919_1_penn-state-mike-tranghese-big-east

OK, I have seen this version of events before as well. It's hard to know who is telling the truth and it could be somewhere in the middle. The vote could have been to invite Penn St. and start a football league instead of just an up or down vote on inviting Penn St. for basketball for all we know. What is clear is that Penn St. wanted to form a football conference, which the Big East had little appetite for at the time.

Reaction Score
OK, I have seen this version of events before as well. It's hard to know who is telling the truth and it could be somewhere in the middle. The vote could have been to invite Penn St. and start a football league instead of just an up or down vote on inviting Penn St. for basketball for all we know. What is clear is that Penn St. wanted to form a football conference, which the Big East had little appetite for at the time.
And as Tranghese was quoted as saying to Gavitt when the dust settled "we will rue the day over this decision".

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
those three words just made me laugh out loud. this is who I saw when I read it.
images

I went old school Huggy Bear, not Snoop Dog Huggy Bear.

Well done

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Thankfully I also understand that reporting of facts and reporting of opinion are two different things. The latter is what occurred, hence not making it across...ahem...a newswire feed. But thanks for playing!

What's the word on the street huggy bear? Is 'it' about to go down?

Reaction Score
And that is most definitely correct.
not necessarily. That's making a lot of assumptions. Even if they were accepted for basketball, it's not guaranteed that the football deal would have been struck; and even if it it was, what's to say that they wouldn't have joined the first or second wave of defection or left at any other time. If the conference is so undesirable, why wouldn't Penn St leave for greener pastures?

Reaction Score
What's the word on the street huggy bear? Is 'it' about to go down?

I met Huggy on the street on the Upper East Side in the early 90s. He had a long fur coat on.

Reaction Score
Assuming Crouthamel version of the story is correct, can anyone answer which three BE schools voted "No" to admitting Penn State? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom