1080 this morning | The Boneyard

1080 this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
not sure if anyone was listening this morning but they said the accadamies are no longer interested, Boise is pushing for the PAC 12 and some of the current big east members are looking to go independent. this is quite a new spin.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't surprise me one single bit that this was the case. The Big East is run by the most INCOMPETENT commissioner in the history of D1 athletics! The day Mike Tranghese retired was the day the Big East was doomed!

Reaction Score
not sure if anyone was listening this morning but they said the accadamies are no longer interested, Boise is pushing for the PAC 12 and some of the current big east members are looking to go independent. this is quite a new spin.
Can you blame them. Everybody in the world knows that the remaining BE football schools are bolting at the 1st opportunity.
Why would the service academies & Boise wish to get involved with a terminally ill conference.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I believe the service academies might have lost interest.

Boise to the PAC-12 is sad. Independents? Sounds like a threat to keep the buyout low and media rights loose enough for teams with a rabid local following like UConn to cut some side deals.

Reaction Score
Any efforts to fill the conference will stall now based on the BCS talk of eliminating automatic qualifiers. No automatic qualifier = no reason for anyone to move.

That is specific to the current situation, by the way. Yes, all other realignment was driven by TV $, I realize that. The carrot that the Big East could offer in expansion was the chance for an autobid conference.

Reaction Score
First off, I don't associate "rabid local following" to the UConn fan base. We have a good solid group of fans, but definitely not rabid - unless the team is competing for a national championship. Fair weathered, yes. Rabid, only occassionally.

Second, The UH, UCF, SMU, and Boise's would join the BE for the TV contract alone. Even if it's not as good as the current deal (which I believe it will be better), it's still a significant upgrade to what these schools have today. It gets them on national TV more, it pays them a lot more. AQ status or not, the move does make them a lot more guarenteed money year over year. BYU is another story.

My preference, to be candid, is that us and Rutger go together to either the ACC or B1G, and USF, Cinci, and UL get an invite to the B12 (along with UCF, Houston, and one other to get them to 16 teams), and Boise and BYU somehow find their way ino the P12.

Reaction Score
The Pac12 wanted no part of Oklahoma or Texas do you really think they would take Boise? Thats insane.
Correction: They wanted no part of Oklahoma WITHOUT Texas

Reaction Score
Second, The UH, UCF, SMU, and Boise's would join the BE for the TV contract alone. Even if it's not as good as the current deal (which I believe it will be better), it's still a significant upgrade to what these schools have today. It gets them on national TV more, it pays them a lot more. AQ status or not, the move does make them a lot more guarenteed money year over year. BYU is another story.

My preference, to be candid, is that us and Rutger go together to either the ACC or B1G, and USF, Cinci, and UL get an invite to the B12 (along with UCF, Houston, and one other to get them to 16 teams), and Boise and BYU somehow find their way ino the P12.
It is your last sentence that makes your second point very difficult to achieve. If Uconn, RU, Ville, Cinci and USF are all willing to bolt, then why would there be any TV contract? The TV guys are not going to give a contract to a conference that can lose its top FB TV markets if someone comes a callin. Any TV contract will have some big reduction clauses for any lost members, so if you are any school looking at the BE, you probably need to consider that and what the long term increased TV payout is versus the very real costs associated with this cross country venture. And if you are the BB schools, why would you allow the FB schools to push Houston, SMU, UCF, Boise or any other school into the conference for full membership when the foundation of the BB confernence clearly want to leave?

There have been no formal invites from the BE to anyone. No formal announcements or press releases from anyone associated with the Big East. Anyone want to guess why? I have an idea and it involves a lack of commitment by Uconn, RU, Lville and Cinci. None of the schools can really be embracing the rumored schools beyond Army and Navy and maybe UCF.

Reaction Score
If every conference goes along with the no automatic AQ then they can expect the SEC to grab 3 spots more often than not.

Reaction Score
Who reported this? Was it based on 1080's own reporting? Obviously this is a big deal but my wire services feed hasn't picked up on it yet?

Reaction Score

If true, than that's sad. That means the bullies won.

Reaction Score
So who still thinks beign a basketball power means anything? My biggest concern has been that if kansas could almost be left in the dark, UCONN certainly could, and it looks like it might happen. Not sure how it would work out, but maybe playing as an indepednent for a few years, with a local tv contract would be possible.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the link. He obviously is "hearing" thevsame things about the military academies that we've known since the end of September. Gladchuk/navy have a good thing going right now with their cbs tv deal, schedule, etc. The beat writer has been steadfast in his reporting that is a 50/50 chance. Boise may want the pac 12 (and the Big 12); however if Scott Gray thinks the Pac 12 would invite Boise State he is an idiot.

The academics of Boise State are laughable, not to mention all their other sports suck big time. They have no shot at the Pac 12.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Correction: They wanted no part of Oklahoma WITHOUT Texas

UConn gets into the Pac 12 before Boise. Other than football, it offers nothing. The other sports are dreadful. The academics are dreadful. There is no research. There is no meaningful media market. There are several schools in the region which would be added before Boise.

Reaction Score
If you gave Eastern Connecticut State a national calibre football program, it would be more desireable to the Pac than Bosie.

Reaction Score
I live on the West Coast and there is no way in hell that the Pac-12 offers Boise State. Their Commissioner is satisfied with what they got, and they're certainly not going to lower their academics to entertain Boise State's needs. Boise State has nothing to offer the Pac-12. This is laughable, at best!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So since we all agree Scott is smoking some might strong stuff if he thinks Boise has a chance at the Pac 12 (to be fair, he said they prefer it...well of course they would), how much of the rest is just bunk? I suspect that the news about the academies, is, if not new, probably accurate. I don't think they're coming.

What about the rest? Is the whole thing dead or just in a holding pattern?

Reaction Score
So since we all agree Scott is smoking some might strong stuff if he thinks Boise has a chance at the Pac 12 (to be fair, he said they prefer it...well of course they would), how much of the rest is just bunk? I suspect that the news about the academies, is, if not new, probably accurate. I don't think they're coming.

What about the rest? Is the whole thing dead or just in a holding pattern?

I think the part about the academies has the strongest possibility of being true but I think the rest is pretty much a wrong and wild guess. I don't think any current Big East members are going indy and we all know that Boise isn't going to the Pac 12, or at least we should all realize that. I think that without the academies this new league still works pretty well with adding Boise, Houston, SMU, UCF, and hopefully BYU. Adding those 4 or 5 schools is really all that matters in all of this.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...-usa-members-ucf-president-john-hitt-big-east
UCF's President confirmed pretty much confirmed over the weekend that all 3 CUSA schools are coming and are ready to announce whenever they get the green light fromthe league. The hold up is BYU and to a lesser extent Boise because they are waiting on BYU or another western team.

Reaction Score
UConn gets into the Pac 12 before Boise. Other than football, it offers nothing. The other sports are dreadful. The academics are dreadful. There is no research. There is no meaningful media market. There are several schools in the region which would be added before Boise.
Yet Boise is the best bet for the BE? And with Boise in the BE, the TV contract will be the biggest and bestest yet (according to some posters). Everything you wrote about Boise and the Pac12 applies to Boise and the BE.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
This is a Washington Examiner reporter's take on the process, and it's completely different from Scott Gray's version.

Who really knows what's what at this point?...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Scott Grey had the Rams moving to Hartford. He's your senile great uncle.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yet Boise is the best bet for the BE? And with Boise in the BE, the TV contract will be the biggest and bestest yet (according to some posters). Everything you wrote about Boise and the Pac12 applies to Boise and the BE.

Except the fact that Pac 12 is stable and has a great contract, and the BE is falling apart and desperate. If we don't acknowledge that the Big East reaching across the Rockies to try to get Boise St. is an act of desperation, we're not being honest. And for those foolish enough to think that current football rankings are the measure of a program, explain how Colorado got the Pac 12 invite over Boise St.? The BE was smart enough to recognize that TCU was far more appealing overall than Boise St., but unfortunately, the Big XII is more appealing than the Big East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom