10 Players to Watch - FIBA U17 Women's World Cup games start next Saturday | The Boneyard

10 Players to Watch - FIBA U17 Women's World Cup games start next Saturday

Reaction Score

The FIBA U17 World Cup kicks off next Saturday, and there will be 10 players to keep an eye on, as well as 4 countries for UConn fans. From the United States, 6 players. From the 2025 class: Emilee Skinner and 5 from the 2026 class: Jacy Abii, Kelsey Andrews, Addison Bjorn, Jersy Robinson and McKenna Woliczko. From Canada, 2 players. From class 2025: Agot Makeer and Deniya Prawl. From Australia, 1 player. From class 2025: Lara Somfai. From Croatia, 1 player. From class 2026: Olivia Vukosa. HuskyNan can correct me if I've made a mistake.

The U17 World Cup is the key event in the age categories this summer. It's the first time we're going to see the entire world's players playing matches against each other. It's a great moment, both for the players and for all the scouts who attend the tournament. The USA and Canada have announced their line-ups, which are attached to the official tournament website. For Australia and Croatia, nothing yet official on their site at the time of writing.

The USA and Canada have sent a young team to this championship, although the age limit is set at January 1, 2007. The USA has only 7 players born in 2007, with a further 5 born in 2008. Canada's team is even smaller, with only 5 players born in 2007, 5 in 2008 and 2 in 2009. Dates of birth are available for Canada as an attachment: just click on the selected player to see her date of birth. For the Americans, the age is listed, but the date of birth is not, so we'll have to wait a few more days to get them on the official tournament website. However, my research has given me the dates, and there's only one player I'm not sure about: Ivanna Wilson Manyacka, born in 2008 or perhaps 2009. Birth dates are important, as it's worth noting that players born in 2007 will only be able to take part in one more FIBA international age-group tournament, while those born in 2008 will be able to do so three more times.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Reaction Score

There is a discrepancy on the Basketball USA website. When we click on National Teams, by choosing, 5X5 women, U17 World Cup, we have the choice of going to see the Roster, yet there is a different player if we choose News with the May 26 articles which also gives the roster. On this one, we can see the gifted of the 2027 class, Kaleena Smith, while on the other, there's Kelsey Andrews, but she's not present in the other place. So, obviously there's a mistake, but which one is right?

Reaction Score

There is a discrepancy on the Basketball USA website. When we click on National Teams, by choosing, 5X5 women, U17 World Cup, we have the choice of going to see the Roster, yet there is a different player if we choose News with the May 26 articles which also gives the roster. On this one, we can see the gifted of the 2027 class, Kaleena Smith, while on the other, there's Kelsey Andrews, but she's not present in the other place. So, obviously there's a mistake, but which one is right?

Smith is no longer available to compete.

Reaction Score

The next U17 World Cup kicks off in just three days' time. In the meantime, I'd like to offer you the final match of the 2018 championship between France and the USA. This championship took place in Minsk, the capital of Belarus, in July, as usual, and it looks like it's going to be a hot one!

The first U17 World Cup was held in 2010, and the one in 2024 will be the 7th edition. In 2020 the competition was cancelled due to the covid-19 pandemic, and you can see the final results of this competition in the attachment.

I'd like to propose this match to you, because for me it's the most beautiful team to have played in this tournament. In recent years, we've seen American teams (U16, U17) dominated by their athleticism and an full court press defense that completely stifled the opposition. This superb team, magnificently led by Carla Berube, not only dominated athletically, they did so with their skills, defensive rotations, collective play and a basketball IQ that was very high for their age.

A victory by 52 points in the final of the U17 World Championship, against a very good French team. For those with doubts, it's worth mentioning that three of this French team will be in the next Olympic Games. A must-see for those who haven't had the chance, and for those nostalgic for Paige and Azzie who was only 15 at the time.

Reaction Score

Croatia's roster for the championship is finally known. We'll obviously be keeping an eye on Olivia (Big O), but there's another player I really like, Lena Bilic (SF) from the 2025 class. Croatia has a trio of interesting players in Vukosa, Bilic and Arnautovic, but things quickly fall apart after that. The team was due to fly to Mexico on the 7th, with a stopover in Houston, for a warm-up match against Finland. However, the plan had to be changed due to Hurricane Beryl, and they didn't leave until today. Attached is an article from their official website, which will probably come to you in Croatian. Also attached are the team statistics from the 2023 European U16 Championship, with special attention paid to the playing time of the top three. No news yet for the Australia’s roster.

Reaction Score
Shane Laflin breaks down the entire US roster and other players to watch:

Impressed on the detail for the other countries. The list for Canada was longer than I expected. :D. Also nice to see Parchment listed as she's under the radar in my opinion. She earned an all-star nod at the U16 Americas last year over team mates like Prawl.

Reaction Score
Shane Laflin breaks down the entire US roster and other players to watch:

I don't think Shane Laflin is forgetting non-USA notable players Lara Somfai of Australia. I think he believes that as she has already participated in the Asia/Oceania U18 Championship, he probably considers that she won't be present.

The USA and Canada don't make their athletes play more than one international FIBA championship during the summer, but in Australia and Europe, it's not uncommon for top players to take part in more than one. In 2022, Australia's Isla Jufferman even took part in 3 international championships.

Last year Lara played in two FIBA championships, in the U16 which gives you the chance to go to the U17 World Cup, she only played two games, the semi-final and the final, which is also why on this year's official FIBA U17 website we don't see her in the Top 20 Prospects stepping out at the U17 WWC article. She also took part in the Asia/Oceania U17 championship, which, depending on your final ranking, gives you the chance to play in the same region's U18 championship the following year.

As far as I know, only the USA and Canada are exempt from qualifying for the Americas U16 and U18 championships. The Americas are divided into three zones: North for Canada and the USA, Central (Centro) for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean, and South for South America. In both zones, there are U15 and U17 championships.

Because of the severe restrictions due to the covid-19 pandemic, Australia lost a few places in the FIBA world age-group rankings. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Australia returned to the top 3, but we will be, as they're in the same group as the USA. I finally found Australia's U17 roster on their official website, which isn't easy. I've attached it and Lara Somfai is there.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Tomorrow, July 13 - 22:15 Eastern Time - USA vs Australia

The WWC U17 matches will be played at the Domo de la Feria in Leon, the same venue that hosted the AmeriCup Senior last summer. This is also where the semi-finals and finals will be played, as well as the 5-8 ranking matches. The other half of the matches will be played at the Inforum in Irapuato, 39 miles (50 minutes) southeast of Leon. Mexico will have the privilege of hosting the U17 World championship outside Europe for the first time. Note that the time zone is Mountain Daylight Time (MDT).

The Rosters for all countries are now known and posted on FIBA's official WWC U17 website. Simply click on the Teams tab at the top, click on the country of your choice, go to Roster and for more information click directly on the chosen player.

Reaction Score
Recruits # to Watch:

Game 1 Schedules:
# USA: 2024 U17 World Cup: Overview | Roster | Games | Statistics | Videos | News | Photos |
# Canada: 2024 U17 World Cup: Overview | Roster | Games | Statistics | Videos | News | Photos |
# Australia: 2024 U17 World Cup: Overview | Roster | Games | Statistics | Videos | News | Photos |
# Croatia: 2024 U17 World Cup: Overview | Roster | Games | Statistics | Videos | News | Photos |
# Emilee Skinner (USA), Lola Lampley (USA), Ainhoa Risacher (France) and Emma Giacchetti (Italy) were listed as players of interest.

# Recruits Dashboard:
#1 ESPN Recruiting Lists: 2025 | 2026 | 2027 | 2028 |
#2 ASGR Recruiting Lists: 2025 | 2026 | 2027 | 2028 |
#3 Prospects Nation Recruiting Lists: 2025 | 2026 | 2027 |

Reaction Score
Recruits # to Watch:

Game 1 Schedules:
# USA: 2024 U17 World Cup: Overview | Roster | Games | Statistics | Videos | News | Photos |
# Canada: 2024 U17 World Cup: Overview | Roster | Games | Statistics | Videos | News | Photos |
# Australia: 2024 U17 World Cup: Overview | Roster | Games | Statistics | Videos | News | Photos |
# Croatia: 2024 U17 World Cup: Overview | Roster | Games | Statistics | Videos | News | Photos |
# Emilee Skinner (USA), Lola Lampley (USA), Ainhoa Risacher (France) and Emma Giacchetti (Italy) were listed as players of interest.

# Recruits Dashboard:
#1 ESPN Recruiting Lists: 2025 | 2026 | 2027 | 2028 |
#2 ASGR Recruiting Lists: 2025 | 2026 | 2027 | 2028 |
#3 Prospects Nation Recruiting Lists: 2025 | 2026 | 2027 |
Congratulations on a job well done. With all its links in blue, this is a post I'll be returning to very often, given all the information it contains.

Reaction Score

Here's some interesting information in preparation for the tournament​
  • Yvanna Wilson Manyacka, whom I'd forgotten in my list of players to watch, is the youngest player on the US team, born in 2009, which means she has a double over-classification. Five of her teammates are more than 2 years older than her. She's old enough to be back in 2026 at the next WWC U17 and next year for the Americas U16 Championship. The last to compete in two U17 championships was Sam Brunelle in 2016 and 2018.
  • Jerzy Robinson of USA and Emilia Krstevski of Canada play together at Sierra Canyon School in California.
  • Canada's Agot Makeer and Emilia Krstevski have dual USA/CAN citizenship.
  • Olivia Vukosa of Croatia has dual USA/CRO citizenship.
  • Canada's Savannah Swords, who likes to change her number, will wear #8 at the championship, the same number her father wore for the Canadian National Team. Shawn Swords took part in the 2000 Olympic Games in Australia. Canada's men's team will finally be back this year.
  • Spain's Nicole Dominguez is the tallest player in the tournament at 6'9". The tallest player in this age category is Ziyu Zhang 7'3'' (May 1, 2007) from China. China failed to place at last year's U16 Asia/Oceania Championship in preparation for this year's U17 World Championship, and was absent.

Reaction Score
Canada's Emilia Krstevski didn't play in the first half, but she's a very important player for Canada. I didn't see her on the bench. She's ranked 25th in ESPN's 2026 class.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Can vs Egy:

Makeer: 28 points (9-13 FG, 5-8 3-PT), 4 assists, 6 steals in 26 mins

Prawl: 8 points (2-9 FG), 7 rebs, 6 assists

Reaction Score
Croatia didn't have it easy against Puerto Rico, in front 51 - 49 after 3 quarters. Olivia Vukosa - 6/15 17 points - 17 rebounds

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The US smacked Australia despite shooting atrociously.

Somfai: 15 points (5-10 FG, 1-5, 3-PT), 5 reb, 2 assists, 3 blocks

Bjorn: 9 points (3-9 FG), 7 reb

Robinson: 14 points, (6-14 FG), 4 reb, 3 steals

Manyacka: 4 points (2-9 FG), 4 reb

Palmer: 6 points (3-5 FG), 8 reb, 2 assists, 1 block

Abii: 6 points (3-7 FG), 6 reb

Reaction Score
The US smacked Australia despite shooting atrociously.

Somfai: 15 points (5-10 FG, 1-5, 3-PT), 5 reb, 2 assists, 3 blocks

Bjorn: 9 points (3-9 FG), 7 reb

Robinson: 14 points, (6-14 FG), 4 reb, 3 steals

Manyacka: 4 points (2-9 FG), 4 reb

Palmer: 6 points (3-5 FG), 8 reb, 2 assists, 1 block

Abii: 6 points (3-7 FG), 6 reb
Australia's guards are lousy at both ends and had no clue how to handle the full court defensive pressure. Somfai had no help. Palmer, despite being one of the youngest, might have the most all around potential of anyone on that team. And Robinson has to be the most powerful 6 foot 15 year old I've seen, she can get to wherever she wants.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom