#1 Stanford falls [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

#1 Stanford falls [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Surprised we're still ranked so high having so few wins. Only one team in the top 25 has fewer wins than we do. Stanford has four more wins than we do and should be ranked ahead of us, but good luck deciphering rankings in any sport that uses them.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Wrong!!!! Someone on UConns campus caught Covid and Geno saw that it was an opportunity to get out of taking a butt kicking that early in the season!!!! I get it. It makes perfect sense!!!! : ) He is absolutely smart and the best coach in women basketball history!!!
UConn under Geno and Chris never, ever chickened out from playing the best of the best. As a fan of the program for over 30 years...it is my observation that over the last 15 years or so...it is the competition who ran from competng with UConn. I remember Pat cancelling the rivalry over a fake NCAA violation complaint (everyone knew it was Geno getting Maya and other recruits right under her nose). I remember ND ending the rivalry with UConn. The list goes on. How many programs (in the modern era since 1995) have a better win / loss record against UConn? Nobody!!! Two teams are tied:

Baylor vs UConn 4-4 (2010-2020)
Mississippi State vs UConn 1-1 (2016-2017)

Oh, and what is the all time Louisville vs UConn record...oh, I remember...17 - 2 UConn.

LOUISVILLE | UCONN LEADS 17-2 H: 8-1 | A: 4-1 | N: 5-0

03/17/93 Louisville 74, UConn 71 Storrs, Conn.
01/31/06 #4 UConn 75, Louisville 68 Louisville, Ky.
02/13/07 #5 UConn 84, #20 Louisville 56 Storrs, Conn.
03/05/07 #2 UConn 76, #23 Louisville 50 Hartford, Conn.
01/12/08 #1 UConn 92, Louisville 71 Louisville, Ky.
03/11/08 #1 UConn 65, #23 Louisville 59 Hartford, Conn.
01/26/09 #1 UConn 93, #6 Louisville 65 Storrs, Conn.
03/10/09 #1 UConn 75, #5 Louisville 36 Hartford, Conn.
04/07/09 #1 UConn 76, #7 Louisville 54 St. Louis, Mo.
02/07/10 #1 UConn 84, Louisville 38 Louisville, Ky.
01/15/11 #2 UConn 78, Louisville 55 Hartford, Conn.
02/07/12 #3 UConn 56, #20 Louisville 46 Louisville, Ky.
01/15/13 #3 UConn 72, #15 Louisville 58 Hartford, Conn.
04/09/13 #3 UConn 93, #17 Louisville 60 New Orleans, La.
02/09/14 #1 UConn 81, #4 Louisville 64 Storrs, Conn.
03/03/14 #1 UConn 68, #3 Louisville 48 Louisville, Ky.
03/10/14 #1 UConn 72, #3 Louisville 52 Uncasville, Conn.
02/12/18 #1 UConn 69, #4 Louisville 58 Storrs, Conn.
01/31/19 #3 Louisville 78, #2 UConn 69, Louisville, KY.
03/31/19 #2 seed UConn 80, #1 seed Louisville 73, Albany, NY

So, who is afraid of who???

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn under Geno and Chris never, ever chickened out from playing the best of the best. As a fan of the program for over 30 years...it is my observation that over the last 15 years or so...it is the competition who ran from competng with UConn. I remember Pat cancelling the rivalry over a fake NCAA violation complaint (everyone knew it was Geno getting Maya and other recruits right under her nose). I remember ND ending the rivalry with UConn. The list goes on. How many programs have a better win / loss record against UConn? Oh, and what is the all time Louisville vs UConn record...oh, I remember...17 - 2 UConn.

LOUISVILLE | UCONN LEADS 17-2 H: 8-1 | A: 4-1 | N: 5-0

03/17/93 Louisville 74, UConn 71 Storrs, Conn.
01/31/06 #4 UConn 75, Louisville 68 Louisville, Ky.
02/13/07 #5 UConn 84, #20 Louisville 56 Storrs, Conn.
03/05/07 #2 UConn 76, #23 Louisville 50 Hartford, Conn.
01/12/08 #1 UConn 92, Louisville 71 Louisville, Ky.
03/11/08 #1 UConn 65, #23 Louisville 59 Hartford, Conn.
01/26/09 #1 UConn 93, #6 Louisville 65 Storrs, Conn.
03/10/09 #1 UConn 75, #5 Louisville 36 Hartford, Conn.
04/07/09 #1 UConn 76, #7 Louisville 54 St. Louis, Mo.
02/07/10 #1 UConn 84, Louisville 38 Louisville, Ky.
01/15/11 #2 UConn 78, Louisville 55 Hartford, Conn.
02/07/12 #3 UConn 56, #20 Louisville 46 Louisville, Ky.
01/15/13 #3 UConn 72, #15 Louisville 58 Hartford, Conn.
04/09/13 #3 UConn 93, #17 Louisville 60 New Orleans, La.
02/09/14 #1 UConn 81, #4 Louisville 64 Storrs, Conn.
03/03/14 #1 UConn 68, #3 Louisville 48 Louisville, Ky.
03/10/14 #1 UConn 72, #3 Louisville 52 Uncasville, Conn.
02/12/18 #1 UConn 69, #4 Louisville 58 Storrs, Conn.

So, who is afraid of who???
Beaux lets her/his Louisville fandom get the better of him/her sometimes.

It's laughable to say that UConn ducked Louisville. And I would contend that it's also laughable when fans (and I've seen it here and on other boards, Louisville included) say that schools cancel games or whole seasons because they are afraid of getting beat. I just don't believe that.

As a Louisville fan myself, I'm not afraid of playing anyone, UConn included. Do I respect them? Absolutely. As I've said on this board several times, you've got to play and beat the best to be the best. And by any measure, UConn is the best..

You did miss the two 2019 games - our win here and your win in the NCAAT at Albany.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

It's laughable to say that UConn ducked Louisville. And I would contend that it's also laughable when fans (and I've seen it here and on other boards, Louisville included) say that schools cancel games or whole seasons because they are afraid of getting beat. I just don't believe that.

As a Louisville fan myself, I'm not afraid of playing anyone, UConn included. Do I respect them? Absolutely. As I've said on this board several times, you've got to play and beat the best to be the best. And by any measure, UConn is the best..

You did miss the two 2019 games - our win here and your win in the NCAAT at Albany.
Any coach worth anything should want to play the better teams, you don't find your teams flaws by playing cupcakes. I can't understand anyone coming down on Louisville, they have earned where they are, worked hard and have my respect. That said, if we should meet up at the end of tourney play I want the Huskies to demolish them take no prisoners, with all due respect. Heck let's start a rivalry.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score

Added the two 2019 games......wasn't sure of UConn's and Louisville's national rankings so I went with their seeding in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Any coach worth anything should want to play the better teams, you don't find your teams flaws by playing cupcakes. I can't understand anyone coming down on Louisville, they have earned where they are, worked hard and have my respect. That said, if we should meet up at the end of tourney play I want the Huskies to demolish them take no prisoners, with all due respect. Heck let's start a rivalry.
I, along with many others, have been lobbying for a long-term UConn-Louisville contract for years.

Thanks for using the term "rivalry." Our track record against UConn would mitigate against the use of that term. But that would be true of pretty much every team in WBB versus UConn, with only a couple exceptions.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Stanford loss:

Stanford defense in the late 3rd was not great.
Susceptible to three point shot. Hull beaten 3 times to the hole by my count but she showed she can stroke it. Added to stats with three easy break-out layups in the early going. Excluding the first 2 minutes, Colorado outscored Stanford by 11pts. Think about that for a moment….

Scored some easy transition baskets in the beginning (Hull) but after that nothing seemed easy for Stanford on offense. Most their offense continues to go through Jones who goes one on one a lot (with good success).

The guards just don’t seem capable of pushing the ball or making the difficult pass to create easier opportunities for teammates. Brink has some skills and could be a factor both on offense (can also hit the three) and as a shot blocker. She can be scored on because she can’t play position defense – relies heavily on her amazing length.

Belibi struggled finishing around the rim. Maybe I’m wrong but she seems more interested in style points. Only played 14 minutes.

Stanford has trouble defending athletic players as well and keeping them off the boards. I think AG could have a great game against Stanford. Stanford shoots their fair share of airballs and bricks from 3-point line.

They had no answer for Myra H. Stanford struggles with quickness and appears soft to me.

Jones and even Belibi still worry me on how we contain them. AG could help a lot.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yeah she purposely caught a deadly flu just to avoid a basketball game.
Makes sense.
Yeah! Only Kim Mulkey would do something like that!

Reaction Score
I, along with many others, have been lobbying for a long-term UConn-Louisville contract for years.

Thanks for using the term "rivalry." Our track record against UConn would mitigate against the use of that term. But that would be true of pretty much every team in WBB versus UConn, with only a couple exceptions.
THIS!!! You guys should lobby Geno to call Jeff. I am confident we could schedule something this season!!!!

Reaction Score
THIS!!! You guys should lobby Geno to call Jeff. I am confident we could schedule something this season!!!!
Geno said around the beginning of the month that he and Jeff had been talking to try and reschedule the canceled game, but it's not likely to happen because of all of the difficulties in scheduling that kind of game on short notice.

Reaction Score
Just like every visiting fan has you will talk your trash and then upon losing to UConn disappear and hide because you were wrong. Many like you have gone this route.
You are always welcome to come to Walz's World to post. We are a realistic fan base!!! Walz's World

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
You are always welcome to come to Walz's World to post. We are a realistic fan base!!! Walz's World

The same brand of realism that implies the program feigned a positive Covid test to avoid playing you guys? Just want to clarify...

mila kunis agree GIF

Reaction Score
The only team that I’m concerns me is South Carolina despite how they look right now. When they can gel and figure out how to really play well with one another like last year they’ll be on the tougher teams to beat. Other than that I’m not worried. I said I didn’t believe in Stanford before the season started, still don’t. I thought Baylor would be one of the better teams I changed my mind on that, they can’t seem to figure out how adjust without Cox in the post. Louisville never seems to get over the hump. They have good guards but ours are better.

Reaction Score
The PAC 12 is over ranked again this year. When one PAC 12 team beats another PAC 12 team it great to the pollsters. Conversely when one PAC 12 team loses to another PAC 12 team it looks like a good loss. I honestly believe there is only 1 team from the PAC 12 that should be ranked in the Top 10. The entire PAC 12 conference is OVERRANKED.

Reaction Score
You're a realistic fan base that is satified with being the runner up. Shoot for Perfection to achieve Excellence! You can have that quote for Waldos World!

Reaction Score
The PAC 12 is over ranked again this year. When one PAC 12 team beats another PAC 12 team it great to the pollsters. Conversely when one PAC 12 team loses to another PAC 12 team it looks like a good loss. I honestly believe there is only 1 team from the PAC 12 that should be ranked in the Top 10. The entire PAC 12 conference is OVERRANKED.
Didnt the PAC 12 Women'sbasketball coaches have a meeting some years ago about beefing up their schedules. They all needed to schedule tougher and use the ratings (Massey and ???) To their advantage. So that they all had better ratings/scores and it would benefit the conference better when they were beating each other up. I remember hearing about it whenever a PAC12 school was on national TV.

But regardless, I agree that the PAC12 schools seem to be overrated. But this is such a weird season, idk how anyone could judge teams accurately.

Stanford seems to be in good hands at the 3, 4, and 5 positions for the next few years. However, they need to get some talents guards if they want to beat the likes of Uconn and South Carolina in the future. I hope Stanford and UConn renew their series.

Reaction Score
Didnt the PAC 12 Women'sbasketball coaches have a meeting some years ago about beefing up their schedules. They all needed to schedule tougher and use the ratings (Massey and ???) To their advantage. So that they all had better ratings/scores and it would benefit the conference better when they were beating each other up. I remember hearing about it whenever a PAC12 school was on national TV.

But regardless, I agree that the PAC12 schools seem to be overrated. But this is such a weird season, idk how anyone could judge teams accurately.

Stanford seems to be in good hands at the 3, 4, and 5 positions for the next few years. However, they need to get some talents guards if they want to beat the likes of Uconn and South Carolina in the future. I hope Stanford and UConn renew their series.
Stanford is soft. Unless they get a great seed, they will get beat a couple games in the tourney.

Reaction Score
The same brand of realism that implies the program feigned a positive Covid test to avoid playing you guys? Just want to clarify...

mila kunis agree GIF
You fellow poster stated that Mulkey chickened out playing you guys using the exact same reason UConn used to not playing Louisville. You make not like it but the statement was true if you believe Baylor chickened out playing you all. As far as a UConn - Louisville reschedule, you should push Geno to call Jeff. The question if Louisville would beat UConn and how bad could be ended much sooner than the tourney!!!! HAHA

Reaction Score

PAC is a very good conference. However, we don't really know because they haven't played anybody out of conference.

Using Massey's ranking, only one PAC team has played an OOC game against a moderately decide school.. Arizona played against Massey #60 Stephen F. Austin. That's it! No other PAC school has played an OOC opponent ranked in Massey's Top 100 and none are scheduled in the future.

By contrast, SCar has played NC State, Gonzaga, Iowa State and will play UConn. Kentucky has played DePaul and Indiana. Arkansas played Baylor. Indeed, every SEC team in the top half has played an OOC opponent in the top 64 teams

The result is that the PAC teams consistently have a better SOS than the SEC teams. The SEC is and open system while the PAC is a closed system where the SOS is based purely on intra conference play. In Massey, 9-3 Oregon is ranked 4th based on a SOS of 9 based on intraconference play only. 10-3 kentucky is ranked 14th due to a SOS based on a conference and inter-conference game that include Indiana and Depaul.

Perhaps the PAC teams are better than the SEC teams but we don't know because PAC teams play nobody out of conference.

Reaction Score
You fellow poster stated that Mulkey chickened out playing you guys using the exact same reason UConn used to not playing Louisville. You make not like it but the statement was true if you believe Baylor chickened out playing you all. As far as a UConn - Louisville reschedule, you should push Geno to call Jeff. The question if Louisville would beat UConn and how bad could be ended much sooner than the tourney!!!! HAHA
Can you please stop with the Geno should call Jeff. He has called Jeff to try and reschedule the canceled game, and as Geno says the logistics makes it difficult to schedule an impromptu game like that.

Reaction Score
Can you please stop with the Geno should call Jeff. He has called Jeff to try and reschedule the canceled game, and as Geno says the logistics makes it difficult to schedule an impromptu game like that.
No. We have scheduled a number of games not on this years schedule. Therefore the problem is with UConn not Louisville. We just want to play and answer any questions that UConn fans have about who the best team in the nation is . . .

Reaction Score
PAC is a very good conference. However, we don't really know because they haven't played anybody out of conference.

Using Massey's ranking, only one PAC team has played an OOC game against a moderately decide school.. Arizona played against Massey #60 Stephen F. Austin. That's it! No other PAC school has played an OOC opponent ranked in Massey's Top 100 and none are scheduled in the future.

By contrast, SCar has played NC State, Gonzaga, Iowa State and will play UConn. Kentucky has played DePaul and Indiana. Arkansas played Baylor. Indeed, every SEC team in the top half has played an OOC opponent in the top 64 teams

The result is that the PAC teams consistently have a better SOS than the SEC teams. The SEC is and open system while the PAC is a closed system where the SOS is based purely on intra conference play. In Massey, 9-3 Oregon is ranked 4th based on a SOS of 9 based on intraconference play only. 10-3 kentucky is ranked 14th due to a SOS based on a conference and inter-conference game that include Indiana and Depaul.

Perhaps the PAC teams are better than the SEC teams but we don't know because PAC teams play nobody out of conference.
They were over ranked last year and they are over ranked this year. My original statement stands!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom