#1 South Carolina vs #1 Stanford - 4/02/21 | Page 18 | The Boneyard

#1 South Carolina vs #1 Stanford - 4/02/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I suspect there be at least 7-8 very dangerous teams next season with 3/4 of the Final Four probably improving.

of course you can never tell what newcomers will do for chemistry.
I have South Carolina, UConn, Stanford, and Baylor as the preseason top 4 next year!

Reaction Score
On paper there is a huge gap between UConn and Arizona. A large part of it was just simply Arizona had nothing to lose while UConn players each and every game have to bear the weight of this program. Honestly I think that's what kills them. You hear the players talk about it all the time. Arizona has no history. If they get blown out tonight by 30 who cares? UConn doesn't win tonight and you have some crazy folks calling to replace Geno. That kind of says it all. Now imagine what the players feel.
I did saw some one on the main side stating that he should do like Roy Williams and retire. I don't know if he was serious or trolling.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This was one of the most competitive years for WCBB and I think next year could be even better. I know for a fact SC and UConn will be out to make heads roll all season..
Agreed. Stanford, Baylor and Maryland look extremely potent too. Oregon could be dangerous and Texas too if Vic gets a couple of the MSU transfers. Might be some other surprises too like Arizona, A&M, Indiana and Maryland this year. I expect the parity to continue even with SC and UCONN looking the most talented on paper.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Stanford, Baylor and Maryland look extremely potent too. Oregon could be dangerous and Texas too if Vic gets a couple of the MSU transfers. Might be some other surprises too like Arizona, A&M, Indiana and Maryland this year. I expect the parity to continue even with SC and UCONN looking the most talented on paper.
I would put Stanford right there with SCar and UConn talent wise. Their 2021 class is very good and 2022 is shaping up very well.

Reaction Score
Interested to see if Williams returns or not for Stanford. She's a calming presence and really good floor leader for them.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Interested to see if Williams returns or not for Stanford. She's a calming presence and really good floor leader for them.
She talks as if this is her last year, and she's in the first round of WNBA mock drafts I've seen. So I doubt it.

I'm still hoping for Wilson to return.

Reaction Score
She talks as if this is her last year, and she's in the first round of WNBA mock drafts I've seen. So I doubt it.

I'm still hoping for Wilson to return.
Who will be your backcourt next year if both leave?

Reaction Score
Who will be your backcourt next year if both leave?
I’ll take a stab.

Van Gytenbeek and Jenna Brown (who will return from injury) are probably the lone true point guards. Hull twins, Hannah Jump, and Emma-Nnopu on the wings. Haley Jones wherever needed.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Van Gytenbeek seems like the heir apparent at point. She needs to improve her handle, but otherwise looks good. I like Jenna Brown, but she needs to be able to shoot to get playing time.

Tara could go with a taller player at the 2 guard spot. Jump, Lacie, or one of the frosh. Brooke Demetre is listed as a 6'3" guard (!).

But it would be great to have Wilson one more year to let the younger guards have a year to grow before one starts.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Van Gytenbeek seems like the heir apparent at point. She needs to improve her handle, but otherwise looks good. I like Jenna Brown, but she needs to be able to shoot to get playing time.

Tara could go with a taller player at the 2 guard spot. Jump, Lacie, or one of the frosh. Brooke Demetre is listed as a 6'3" guard (!).

But it would be great to have Wilson one more year to let the younger guards have a year to grow before one starts.
I am also really, really hoping we land Kiki Rice. I think she'd be our best long-term solution at the point. I like Van Gytenbeek a lot, and she's shown flashes of something special, but I'm not yet confident that she has what we need for her to run the point for a national champion-caliber team. Given all the other pieces we have, that has to be the aspiration over the next few seasons. Ki actually didn't play the point in HS, but she has such an arsenal of jump shots- step back, step aside, tear drop, stop and pop - not to mention extremely long 3-pt range, that she can be a less than perfect point and still open up the offense with her speed, flow, and ability to create on offense. I think JVG is actually a more natural point but I haven't seen as much variety in her offense, which I really think will be necessary for the Princeton that Tara is running these days.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
On paper there is a huge gap between UConn and Arizona. A large part of it was just simply Arizona had nothing to lose while UConn players each and every game have to bear the weight of this program. Honestly I think that's what kills them. You hear the players talk about it all the time. Arizona has no history. If they get blown out tonight by 30 who cares? UConn doesn't win tonight and you have some crazy folks calling to replace Geno. That kind of says it all. Now imagine what the players feel.
Geno is 67; I wonder how much longer he's going to coach? He'd be 72 when Azzi graduates. Of course, Boeheim is still coaching at 76. I wish the coaches with nothing left to prove would retire and give up and coming coaches a chance for head jobs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom