#1 South Carolina vs #1 Stanford - 4/02/21 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

#1 South Carolina vs #1 Stanford - 4/02/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Noone claimed it the banner clearly says No.1 ranked team...which was true it doesn't state national champs...they were the no 1 team at the end of last season. I've said it before Im no fan of the banner as it just oozes little brother syndrome, however I respect the AD and dawn for hanging it and memorializing the team for a great accomplishment

Explain this headline. And this quote from her:

Eventually, Staley will turn the page. But first she wants to make one thing clear:

“Every team, every fan base, can say they’re the very best,” Staley said. “Every team can’t say they’re the No. 1 team in the country.

“Crown us the national champion.”

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The joy of victory and the agony of defeat.

I don't envy anyone who carries the heartbreak of missing a would-be game-winning buzzer-beater.

The cameras unjustly lingered on Aliyah Boston. It was not an extremely easy follow-up. Beal's shot was equally as makeable IMO, but it wasn't uncontested either.

Boston has a very bright future, as does the South Carolina program, and I'm sure both will turn the hurt of this moment into fuel for future success.

While grocery shopping, I was thinking of brutal NCAA WBB losses by highly seeded teams.. This has to be in the top 10... maybe top 5. The only saving grace is that its still a young team... so they will have future chances to redeem themselves.

Reaction Score
It's a shame - both the 2015 Final Four against Notre Dame, and this one, we had the ball in the closing seconds and the chance to advance to the championship game, and couldn't close the deal. Hopefully next season the outcome is different.....

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
South Carolina gonna be extra sick now... Welp Pac 12 gets its first championship since 1992

Reaction Score
Also two shots and the ball might have been a better outcome, but it's fine.
And the 5th foul on Brink. She’s the one who altered Boston’s shot with around 30 seconds to play after the scramble bounced into HJ’s lap. I’ll take that play properly officiated over the 3 anyday.

Reaction Score
In real time it looked like it was dribbled off of the foot, which is not considered a kicked ball. When they slowed it down it was a kicked ball. Can't blame the refs and it isn't a reviewable play.
Idc what it looked like to you on your TV. From ten feet away live, that’s an obvious kicked ball and easy call. And fwiw, it was an easy call even on TV to the analyst who correctly called it out as Stanford was racing downcourt for an unmerited layup.

Reaction Score
South Carolina gonna be extra sick now... Welp Pac 12 gets its first championship since 1992
I'll say it now that the blip is probably over: these haven't been particularly good UConn teams the last couple of years.

I wasn't sweating the rematch. It was always getting by Stanford that bothered me.

I assume next year's UConn team will be much much better.

Reaction Score
Listen, I respect Dawn a ton - a ton. I've rooted for her both as a player and as a coach. And her outspokenness about women's sports and racial equality issues is a huge asset to WCBB. But claiming a national championship last year when everyone knows there are no guarantees in March really, really rubbed me (and so many other people) the wrong way. Tell me one other sport where the team ranked number one when the season got cut short due to Covid put up a national champion banner. I can't think of one.
Have you seen the banner? It says NOTHING about National Championship. It says Unanamous #1 ranked team. (Consensus would have been better) That’s it. And we were. In every poll at the end of the year we were ranked #1. Why one school hyping their own program in their own facility gets so many people triggered is baffling. We also have attendance banners too because we’ve lead the nation in attendance for 7 years. You dont think recruits notice that? Is that allowed or no?
BTW great game tonight. Gut wrenching loss for us. Good luck Sunday.

Reaction Score
Unless Dawn can bring in a consistent outside shooter, and a stretch four player so Boston can get back down in the low post I can’t see this SC team winning a championship.

What do you think Geno needs to bring so his team can win another championship? South Carolina has played for one more recently than they have....

Reaction Score
My god. Please don’t turn this into a thread about that dang banner. LET IT GOOOOOOOOO.
Don't sweat the banner thing. You will find that the more success your team has the more nit picky fans of other teams get. Comes with the territory and having a target on your back. It's why I'm glad UConn is generally pretty boring as a program when it comes to providing fodder for other teams, though our newfound trend of complaining about calls during the games is not a great look.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It's a shame - both the 2015 Final Four against Notre Dame, and this one, we had the ball in the closing seconds and the chance to advance to the championship game, and couldn't close the deal. Hopefully next season the outcome is different.....
I think next season we will have our best team. The current roster will be a year more experienced and the number 1 class is coming in. UCONN and Stanford will also be outstanding next season.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think next season we will have our best team. The current roster will be a year more experienced and the number 1 class is coming in. UCONN and Stanford will also be outstanding next season.
This was one of the most competitive years for WCBB and I think next year could be even better. I know for a fact SC and UConn will be out to make heads roll all season..

Reaction Score
The sort of # 1 ranking does not mean as much as it appeared. It was based purely on won lost records and who should logically be ranked # 1a t that point in time. No one expected it to be the final ranking. Had it been I doubt they would have been ranked #1. When you expect the tournament to settle the issue not that much emphasis is placed on who is number one at that point in time. I believe most people favored Oregon to win the National Championship and thought they were the better team, but didn't think it was out of line for the GemeCocks to be voted number one.

Being voted number one in the poles before all the cames have been completed does not mean that you are the unchallenged best team in WCBB. Staley has a distroted sense of logic. But them people in athletics have an inflated sense of their own evaluatory opinions in just about any area outside of athletics.

Reaction Score
I'll say it now that the blip is probably over: these haven't been particularly good UConn teams the last couple of years.

I wasn't sweating the rematch. It was always getting by Stanford that bothered me.

I assume next year's UConn team will be much much better.
I agree. There’s no feeling of a lost opportunity like it might have felt 3+ years ago when UConn used to be the big juggernaut. That’s not been the case of late. They’re wasn’t a huge gap between U of A and UConn and that bore out tonight. The best team on that half of the bracket was Baylor.

Tonight, SC played the best team in the tourney that we would have preferred had been opposite us when the bracket was released. I’ve come to terms with the loss - relatively quickly actually, and now I’m ready for next season as there is much to be excited.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I haaaaaaate losing. But we lost to the best team. I’m slowly coming to terms. Next years SC team will be a force.

Reaction Score
I agree. There’s no feeling of a lost opportunity like it might have felt 3+ years ago Awhen UConn used to be the big juggernaut. That’s not been the case of late. They’re wasn’t a huge gap between U of A and UConn and that bore out tonight. The best team on that half of the bracket was Baylor.

Tonight, SC played the best team in the tourney that we would have preferred had been opposite us when the bracket was released. I’ve come to terms with the loss - relatively quickly actually, and now I’m ready for next season as there is much to be excited.
On paper there is a huge gap between UConn and Arizona. A large part of it was just simply Arizona had nothing to lose while UConn players each and every game have to bear the weight of this program. Honestly I think that's what kills them. You hear the players talk about it all the time. Arizona has no history. If they get blown out tonight by 30 who cares? UConn doesn't win tonight and you have some crazy folks calling to replace Geno. That kind of says it all. Now imagine what the players feel.

Reaction Score
The sort of # 1 ranking does not mean as much as it appeared. It was based purely on won lost records and who should logically be ranked # 1a t that point in time. No one expected it to be the final ranking. Had it been I doubt they would have been ranked #1. When you expect the tournament to settle the issue not that much emphasis is placed on who is number one at that point in time. I believe most people favored Oregon to win the National Championship and thought they were the better team, but didn't think it was out of line for the GemeCocks to be voted number one.

Being voted number one in the poles before all the cames have been completed does not mean that you are the unchallenged best team in WCBB. Staley has a distroted sense of logic. But them people in athletics have an inflated sense of their own evaluatory opinions in just about any area outside of athletics.

Tell it to the people who vote in those polls. For them, they were LITERALLY their final rankings - they were the final poll rankings that they published. Of course, typically there is an invitational tournament for the top teams to play against each other in, to determine who the best of the best are. Often the tournament committee may go their own way in seeding teams for it, but very most often the top seeds generally turn out very much so like the rankings of those final polls.

Again, this group of people you designate as "most people" obviously didn't involve those people who vote in those polls, as only 10 total people in them - both polls, mind you - actually voted Oregon as #1 over South Carolina.

As to Staley, how's about this for distorted logic: interpreting a banner to say "unchallenged" where the word "unchallenged" is nowhere on said banner, and then using that interpretation as the basis for a debate that Staley's "logic" is distorted, and coming to a declarative conclusion about Staley's "evaluatory opinion" somehow, regarding a word that doesn't even exist on the banner, and has not been spoken by Staley.

Yep, that logic is about as distorted as it gets....like a man made out of straw......

Reaction Score
This was one of the most competitive years for WCBB and I think next year could be even better. I know for a fact SC and UConn will be out to make heads roll all season..
I suspect there be at least 7-8 very dangerous teams next season with 3/4 of the Final Four probably improving.

of course you can never tell what newcomers will do for chemistry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom