1/25 Practice Quotes (Akok Akok Edition) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

1/25 Practice Quotes (Akok Akok Edition)

Reaction Score
He asked Kwintin to voluntarily leave the program in order to free up a scholarship for Akok, and then when Kwintin didn't he suspended him from basketball activities. Don't get me wrong, Hurley cares for his players and wants to do well by them. But he also wants to succeed. Relationships have to go both ways, give and take, and if a player doesn't give don't assume Hurley will always be giving on the other side.
I didn't see this earlier! I was making my comments regarding this specific topic tongue-in-cheek. Did this really happen? Doesn't sound like Hurley. Do you have a source?

Reaction Score
Kwinton is Globe Trotter material. He would bring audiences to their feet with array of dunks. Nice living too.

Reaction Score
He asked Kwintin to voluntarily leave the program in order to free up a scholarship for Akok, and then when Kwintin didn't he suspended him from basketball activities. Don't get me wrong, Hurley cares for his players and wants to do well by them. But he also wants to succeed. Relationships have to go both ways, give and take, and if a player doesn't give don't assume Hurley will always be giving on the other side.

I know this is false.

Reaction Score
He asked Kwintin to voluntarily leave the program in order to free up a scholarship for Akok, and then when Kwintin didn't he suspended him from basketball activities.
What? Are you postulating or do you have proof that happened? Your posts in this thread are kind of out there.

pj

Reaction Score
What? Are you postulating or do you have proof that happened? Your posts in this thread are kind of out there.

I corrected the language later. The coaching staff encouraged Kwintin to leave voluntarily which would have opened a scholarship for Akok. Kwintin reflected on this for a while, as we saw in Kwintin's now-deleted Instagram statements about leaving and having received frank feedback on his basketball future. In the end, Kwintin decided to stay and keep his scholarship. So he's at UConn and on scholarship. However, around the start of the semester, Kwintin was suspended from team activities, as has been reported in the media. None of this is controversial.

People, I guess, read "asked" as implying "demanded" rather than "encouraged", and the statement that Kwintin's suspension followed his decision to stay as implying that one event was on account of the other. I agree that there's no evidence for those propositions, and I hadn't intended to imply those things; that's why I corrected the wording in a later post.

I think people are getting a little too worked up over these thoughts. The same people who say "scholarships will open up" if a 5* player like Precious Achiuwa wants to come here, don't want to acknowledge the frank discussions between coach and player that lead to scholarships opening up. In this case, it appears the staff tried to open up a scholarship mid-year for Akok, and failed. They were undoubtedly handicapped by a lack of better options for Kwintin as far as basketball-related jobs. He had a right to his scholarship, and without something better on the table than an all-expense-paid semester at UConn, he had no motive to leave.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I corrected the language later. The coaching staff encouraged Kwintin to leave voluntarily which would have opened a scholarship for Akok. Kwintin reflected on this for a while, as we saw in Kwintin's now-deleted Instagram statements about leaving and having received frank feedback on his basketball future. In the end, Kwintin decided to stay and keep his scholarship. So he's at UConn and on scholarship. However, around the start of the semester, Kwintin was suspended from team activities, as has been reported in the media. None of this is controversial.

People, I guess, read "asked" as implying "demanded" rather than "encouraged", and the statement that Kwintin's suspension followed his decision to stay as implying that one event was on account of the other. I agree that there's no evidence for those propositions, and I hadn't intended to imply those things; that's why I corrected the wording in a later post.

I think people are getting a little too worked up over these thoughts. The same people who say "scholarships will open up" if a 5* player like Precious Achiuwa wants to come here, don't want to acknowledge the frank discussions between coach and player that lead to scholarships opening up. In this case, it appears the staff tried to open up a scholarship mid-year for Akok, and failed. They were undoubtedly handicapped by a lack of better options for Kwintin as far as basketball-related jobs. He had a right to his scholarship, and without something better on the table than an all-expense-paid semester at UConn, he had no motive to leave.

Akok cannot take Kwintins scholly this year even if he leaves voluntarily. So how does this make sense?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think none of us knows what is true and what is speculation regarding KW
He has a scholarship and will have one as long as he stays at UConn
Akok doesn't have a scholy and won't until next semester and he wont play this season
That's what we know

pj

Reaction Score
Akok cannot take Kwintins scholly this year even if he leaves voluntarily. So how does this make sense?

No, that's not the case. NCAA Proposal 2017-57 which was adopted states that "In head-count sports ... an institution may replace a counter who voluntarily withdraws from the institution during the academic year by providing the financial aid to another student-athlete, including an incoming student-athlete entering the ensuing term, without making the second student-athlete a counter for the remainder of that academic year." See https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018RR_Division_I_Financial_Aid_20180724.pdf.

Reaction Score
He can't because if he played he would count against the scholarship limit as a recruited athlete, and they have no scholarship to give him because they've already used all 13. To free up a scholarship they needed a player to voluntarily leave before the start of the semester, and that didn't happen.
You don't have to be on scholarship to play? This makes no sense

Reaction Score
Do you have a link to this rule? Never heard of it.

It was that way when I played d2 basketball 6-8 years ago. Could have changed, but it explains why akok is on the bench right.now when polley and sid are both hot garbage tonight. Lol

Reaction Score
No, that's not the case. NCAA Proposal 2017-57 which was adopted states that "In head-count sports ... an institution may replace a counter who voluntarily withdraws from the institution during the academic year by providing the financial aid to another student-athlete, including an incoming student-athlete entering the ensuing term, without making the second student-athlete a counter for the remainder of that academic year." See https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018RR_Division_I_Financial_Aid_20180724.pdf.
You’re the first I’ve seen to provide the actual language of the rule and it does seem clear! It also runs counter to what some were suggesting, which appears to have been the correct interpretation under the old rule. So we could have had Akok for this semester if someone on a scholly had left prior to the start of semester 2 Thanks PJ

pj

Reaction Score
You’re the first I’ve seen to provide the actual language of the rule and it does seem clear! It also runs counter to what some were suggesting, which appears to have been the correct interpretation under the old rule. So we could have had Akok for this semester if someone on a scholly had left prior to the start of semester 2 Thanks PJ

Akok could have played immediately if he's a full qualifier and if Kwintin had left voluntarily. We still haven't heard whether he's a full or partial qualifier, but since it was reported that he wouldn't have played even if he got a scholly, I think we can guess that Akok is a partial qualifier. In which case he can't play until after the first semester next year.

Reaction Score
I didn't see this earlier! I was making my comments regarding this specific topic tongue-in-cheek. Did this really happen? Doesn't sound like Hurley. Do you have a source?

No it didn't happen the poster PJ just making it up.

pj

Reaction Score
No it didn't happen the poster PJ just making it up.

Read the thread, I didn't make anything up. Just had a post get interpreted differently than I intended it.

Reaction Score
Wtf? This is not true at all and is a pretty awful rumor to make up.

This board’s tendency to just create stories out of thin air and then run with them as fact is seriously pathetic.
Maybe it’s just alternative facts.

Reaction Score
Read the thread, I didn't make anything up. Just had a post get interpreted differently than I intended it.

Do you actually have a source or do you think this makes sense logically? Hurley literally called the move you are accusing him of bush league. Is our coach a sociopath or are you exaggerating?

Reaction Score
QUOTE="UConnStats, post: 3013387, member: 5842"]I can tell you for a fact it’s not[/QUOTE]
You didn’t think I was serious did you? I wanted to say something more political but thought better of it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom