1/25 Practice Quotes (Akok Akok Edition) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

1/25 Practice Quotes (Akok Akok Edition)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

As in, "He's really good for a walk on," or "He better be the best walk on in the country if there's going to be any hope of a postseason"?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
How hard is it to understand?

It's difficult with all those periods between the words.

Based on the most recent grid, Akok is getting a scholly when he is ready to play, so I wouldn't call him a "walk on". But I'm pretty particular with words so ymmv.

Reaction Score
He.Can't.Play.
Can someone link me this rule? Never seen or heard anything about it outside a few people who keep mentioning it on here. I accept he isn't going to play. I don't believe that he can't.

pj

Reaction Score
Can someone link me this rule? Never seen or heard anything about it outside a few people who keep mentioning it on here. I accept he isn't going to play. I don't believe that he can't.

He can't because if he played he would count against the scholarship limit as a recruited athlete, and they have no scholarship to give him because they've already used all 13. To free up a scholarship they needed a player to voluntarily leave before the start of the semester, and that didn't happen.

Reaction Score
Have him get a scholarship for the football team. The hierarchy is that if a player is on the football team and the basketball team the scholarship counts against the football team. Nothing says you have to actually play football.
Hope I don't have the rule backwards (knowing my ol' memory it's always a possibility).

Reaction Score
He can't because if he played he would count against the scholarship limit as a recruited athlete, and they have no scholarship to give him because they've already used all 13. To free up a scholarship they needed a player to voluntarily leave before the start of the semester, and that didn't happen.

Yeah I was doubting also until someone explained the second part of the equation. Financial aid.

He can’t play for the team while receiving financial aid. Makes sense if you break it down. There’s a 13 scholarship limit. So, dubious schools could bring in 14, 15, 16 players and get them close to what they’d have paid out in scholarship money with financial aid instead.

So, you can’t be a “recruited” player, and end up instead on the team as a walk-on, getting financial aid money.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yeah I was doubting also until someone explained the second part of the equation. Financial aid.

He can’t play for the team while receiving financial aid. Makes sense if you break it down. There’s a 13 scholarship limit. So, dubious schools could bring in 14, 15, 16 players and get them close to what they’d have paid out in scholarship money with financial aid instead.

So, you can’t be a “recruited” player, and end up instead on the team as a walk-on, getting financial aid money.

Bingo. Thus why I'm jousting here. I don't understand why Hurley even made the comment as he's not a "walk on" and never has been.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Bingo. Thus why I'm jousting here. I don't understand why Hurley even made the comment as he's not a "walk on" and never has been.

I think because he doesn’t count against the scholarship until next year but he’s an enrolled, practicing player. So he’s kinda saying it tongue in cheek, wink wink “walk on.”

Reaction Score
I'd say it's a little early to compare him to the greatest forward UConn has ever had. The shot looks nice, though.

C

Chief00

And the candidate to voluntarily leave is now suspended indefinitely in his last semester.

Reaction Score
And the candidate to voluntarily leave is now suspended indefinitely in his last semester.
Is it possible he was suspended because he wouldn’t “voluntarily” leave? Lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom