1/25 Practice Quotes (Akok Akok Edition) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

1/25 Practice Quotes (Akok Akok Edition)

C

Chief00

Is it possible he was suspended because he wouldn’t “voluntarily” leave? Lol

No, but he should have read the tea leaves better. Former UConn players usually land in a decent place if they are good off the court and in the classroom.

Reaction Score
Generally, you have scholarship players and walk-ons. For those who say he’s neither - what would he be then?
I’d say he’s a practice player but they can’t travel I don’t think.

Reaction Score
No, but he should have read the tea leaves better. Former UConn players usually land in a decent place if they are good off the court and in the classroom.
Hurley doesn’t seem the type to push anyone out the door, but he does seem open and honest about letting the guys know where they stand in competing for playing time. It’s up to the player to read it from there. Looks like he didn’t.

Reaction Score
Hurley came out and said he wouldn't run a player off to make room for another player. I am pretty sure he flat out called that sort of thing bush league.
Yup.

And even if Williams had left the program, the situation would likely still be the same. While it’s true a team can replace a player who willingly leaves a program with another scholarship player, Hurley has called that “bush league” and said that’s not how he wants to run a program.

Akok Akok’s next chapter begins at UConn, as a walk-on — for now

pj

Reaction Score
And the candidate to voluntarily leave is now suspended indefinitely in his last semester.

He got one more semester of scholarship-paid college, he lost the coaches help getting a job after college. His choice.

Yup.

And even if Williams had left the program, the situation would likely still be the same. While it’s true a team can replace a player who willingly leaves a program with another scholarship player, Hurley has called that “bush league” and said that’s not how he wants to run a program.

Hurley said that after the decisions were already made. It's easy to take credit for being virtuous when you had no choice about it.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He got one more semester of scholarship-paid college, he lost the coaches help getting a job after college. His choice.

Hurley said that after the decisions were already made. It's easy to take credit for being virtuous when you had no choice about it.

That's true, but considering he didn't run anybody off when he took the job and easily could have, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also, I doubt he's stupid enough to box himself in in the future. There's a decent chance this sort of opportunity could present itself again down the road, and now he's on the record saying he would never do it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

What are you talking about? He's been singing the same song since day 1 on the job at UCONN.

Unless you are calling him inauthentic and disingenuous, two qualities that are not normally associated with his name.

pj

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? He's been singing the same song since day 1 on the job at UCONN.

He asked Kwintin to voluntarily leave the program in order to free up a scholarship for Akok, and then when Kwintin didn't he suspended him from basketball activities. Don't get me wrong, Hurley cares for his players and wants to do well by them. But he also wants to succeed. Relationships have to go both ways, give and take, and if a player doesn't give don't assume Hurley will always be giving on the other side.

Reaction Score
He asked Kwintin to voluntarily leave the program in order to free up a scholarship for Akok, and then when Kwintin didn't he suspended him from basketball activities. Don't get me wrong, Hurley cares for his players and wants to do well by them. But he also wants to succeed. Relationships have to go both ways, give and take, and if a player doesn't give don't assume Hurley will always be giving on the other side.
Source?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

My understanding is this scenario is not even allowable under NCAA rules, so idk what you are talking about? It doesn't make any sense.

pj

Reaction Score
Alright, encouraged rather than asked. And let me make clear that the suspension was for other things than his decision in regard to leaving. Following that in time was only a coincidence. Just to be clear.

Reaction Score
Alright, encouraged rather than asked. And let me make clear that the suspension was for other things than his decision in regard to leaving. Following that in time was only a coincidence. Just to be clear.

Did you make it a point to be extremely unclear in your previous response when you said this: “He asked Kwintin to voluntarily leave and then when he didn’t, he suspended him.” Knock it off. Akok was already a commit, and they were going to make it work without a scholarship spot available. Hurley has always been honest with his players and isn’t going to bs about playing time. What the player chooses to do with that is on him.

Reaction Score
You're talking out of your arse.

Reaction Score
This makes no sense because even if Kwintin left his scholarship still counts for the full year

Reaction Score

Pretty irresponsible rumor-mongering with no basis in fact.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

(Translation: OK, OK, I thought I'd just put it out with some swagger, but then, aw geez, people started asking me for, get this, a source. So OK, let me dial it back, and clarify things based on widely reported facts. Are we good now?)

Reaction Score
Wtf? This is not true at all and is a pretty awful rumor to make up.

This board’s tendency to just create stories out of thin air and then run with them as fact is seriously pathetic.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup.

Hurley has been public about that...and I think it's great that he's running the program that way...with integrity. That said, it has nothing to do with telling a player where he stands as to playing time, the two can mutually co-exist and should. Communicating with players about their standing is very positive. As mentioned before, telling a certain player where he's at, gives him the information to decide if HE may want to transfer, which is far different than telling a kid he'd be better off somewhere else.

Reaction Score
0/10 take

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom