1-21-21 Thursday Viewing Guide | The Boneyard

1-21-21 Thursday Viewing Guide

Reaction Score
Not a big slate today, but the diversity of offerings and quality standalone games inspired me to get one of these out for today:

5 PM:
USC @ Stanford - FS1: USC has been very good this year and IMO should be a top-25 team. Evan Mobley is so smart and mature in his game...shades of Tim Duncan for sure. Also, in the offseason, I liked West Haven's own Tahj Eaddy's fit with USC and he's been their 2nd leading scorer with 12.5 ppg with a decent 43.9 fg% and 36.4 3p%. Stanford is more of a bubble team to me, but thanks to @bendm's call, North Granby's Jaiden Delaire is starting to put it together in his junior year with 10.3p, 5.1r and 46.3 fg% in 22.4 mpg. Canceled

7 PM:
#3 UConn Women @ #25 Tennessee - ESPN: Old rivals, I'll watch this one.

Wichita State @ Memphis - ESPN2: Memphis (6-5) has disappointed this year while Wichita State (8-3) has been so much better than expected. Props to Issac Brown taking over in a tough situation. Tyson Etienne (17.9p) has been their stud while Alterique Gilbert has been a solid, calming presence despite his poor shooting (9.3p, 3.6a, 32 fg%).

8 PM:
Saint Mary's @ Loyola Marymount - Streamable on either team's website: I really like WCC basketball and if you haven't seen Loyola Marymount yet, they are quite a unique team. 6'7 245 senior Eli Scott is their point-big (15.5p, 8.5r, 3.5a) while sophomore 6'6 250 big Keli Leaupepe is one of the more entertaining players to watch. Both teams are top-130 KenPom, so a solid mid-major offering.

9 PM:
Arizona @ Arizona State - ESPN: Bobby Hurley hasn't won since December 13th when they eked out a 71-70 win over Grand Canyon. At 4-6, the tourney isn't a fair expectation, but I just want him to get a win. Despite some big-time scorers, their defense allows too many good shots and they are a terrible rebounding team.

Indiana @ #4 Iowa - FS1: Indiana is the scariest 8-6 team in NCAA and I'm just meh on Iowa. McCaffery's teams just don't play D, especially Garza. I expect a huge game from Jackson-Davis.

SIU Edwardsville @ Tennessee State - ESPN+: Sid Wilson leads SIU-E in points (13.3), minutes (28.3) and 2nd in blocks (1.3). Big recruiting day for Tennessee State and HBCU's in general with three-star recruit Drew Williams signing with TSU, beating out South Carolina, Iowa State and solid mid-majors.

11 PM:
Colorado State @ Utah State - FS1: Tomorrow is a staff development day. Thanks to both the absurdity of most staff development days and meetings on Zoom, this game will be my "record and try to watch at work" game tomorrow.

Both teams have been way beyond expectations this year and the MWC could honestly get 4 bids (Boise State, San Diego State, Utah State, Colorado State) if it all shapes up.

Colorado State's 6'5 252 sophomore "guard" David Roddy (15.2p, 9.2r, 2.7s) is a blast to watch while sophomore lead guard Isaiah Stevens (15.5p, 4.7r, 6.1a, 47.2 3p%) is their star. Colorado State plays no seniors, so even though they've been good this year, expect them to be even better in 21-22.

With Sam Merrill gone, pundits expected a down year for Utah State, but extra props to Craig Smith this year. Center Neemias Queta is an NBA prospect and overall and Utah State has P5 size.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
5 PM:
USC @ Stanford - FS1: USC has been very good this year and IMO should be a top-25 team. Evan Mobley is so smart and mature in his game...shades of Tim Duncan for sure. Also, in the offseason, I liked West Haven's own Tahj Eaddy's fit with USC and he's been their 2nd leading scorer with 12.5 ppg with a decent 43.9 fg% and 36.4 3p%. Stanford is more of a bubble team to me.
choate's jaiden delaire on stanford. we were linked with him for a minute in 2019 i think.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
First in with a comment about AG.

First in with comment about blah, blah, blah, UConn, USC, NCAA resume.

Reaction Score
I've watched ASU for a while now and he's had some nice talent. I will say this despite my whining about DH's coaching the other night, I think it's very fair to say we got the best Hurley available!!

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Pike may legitimately be on the hot seat at Rutgers. Lost a very winnable game tonight against Penn State. 5 straight losses. Cliff is really struggling, looks lost on defense, still playing flat footed.

Reaction Score
Pike may legitimately be on the hot seat at Rutgers. Lost a very winnable game tonight against Penn State. 5 straight losses. Cliff is really struggling, looks lost on defense, still playing flat footed.
He just signed a very big extension with sizable guarantees. He's not going anywhere for a while. It's not like he's had a multi season downturn here.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The Fightin' Bobby Hurleys go down on a last second tip in at least slightly resembling NC State over Houston in '83.

Reaction Score
Ponder this(for 21 seconds). Thursday was the 21st day of the 21st year of the 21st century.Pretty heavy.LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom