OT: - $1,000,000 to transfer? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: $1,000,000 to transfer?

Reaction Score
Really?
Well, the money flow is a function of media exposure, advertising and therefore viewership- eyes on the product.
I (and I’d venture to guess I am not alone) have already tuned out several sports, both professional and ‘amateur’ due to sponsors intrusive advertising and change of play.
I enjoy woman’s basketball because of style of play.
When advertisers change the flavor of my ‘experience’, I’ll move on.

Reaction Score
Seems like the law of unintended consequences at work here. As the truck drives through the loophole.

Wouldn’t the NCAA have something to say about this? These are EMU alums, therefore boosters. I’m assuming if I ran into Evina Westbrook ( or a potential recruit) at Dunkin Donuts I would not be permitted to buy her a cup of coffee.
But you could create a company, and giver her an NIL deal for an unlimiited amount of money.

Reaction Score
With the news that HC Lincoln Riley was leaving Oklahoma to become the new HC at USC, star freshman QB Caleb Williams announced his intention to transfer from OK and placed his name in the transfer portal.

Enter Charlie Batch, a former pro QB with Detroit & Pittsburgh, and all-time record setting QB with the Eastern Michigan University Eagles. Batch now works for GameOver Capital, a private investment firm run by a group of EMU alumni.

On behalf of his firm, Batch has made a very public NIL offer to Williams of $1,000,000 to transfer to EMU for one year. On its face, this offer does not appear to violate NIL rules in the state of MI. Obviously, it opens up an entirely new NIL front when it comes to recruiting.

Stay tuned.
that's a truly disturbing offer..........:(

Reaction Score
The government does not stop the Yankees from buying every good player that comes out of the Rays farm system. The government doesn't stop a restaurant server from jumping to another restaurant because it pays higher wages. It is not the government's job to ensure competitive balance in sports. It's a form of entertainment. That's all it is. We are not entitled to our school being competitive with big money schools.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The government does not stop the Yankees from buying every good player that comes out of the Rays farm system. The government doesn't stop a restaurant server from jumping to another restaurant because it pays higher wages. It is not the government's job to ensure competitive balance in sports. It's a form of entertainment. That's all it is. We are not entitled to our school being competitive with big money schools.
This whole process of states passing NIL laws and people suggesting there needs to be federal regulation never made any sense. All of us possess the right to profit off our name, image and likeness. That right wasn’t miraculously created by a few states (initially) passing legislation. The only limitation on college athletes doing that is it was a violation of their eligibility under NCAA rules. This was entirely an NCAA issue that they could have regulated in any way their member institutions saw fit, at any time. The fact that the NCAA demurred really eviscerates any enforcement of amateur status whatsoever by them, in my opinion. At this point the member institutions ought to create a new regulating body to administer Olympic sports and other non-revenue championships as well as basketball. They don’t need to pay for the NCAA’s historically arbitrary enforcement group to do that, and they certainly don’t need to pay Emmert a multi-million dollar salary. Take that money and dump it back into administering championships, or, just give it back to the member institutions.

sun

Reaction Score
The quid pro quo that an NIL deal is contingent on transferring would seem to be something that should be regulated.
It sounds too much like insider trading which is what the NIL deal seems to be trying to combat, a coach taking his QB along with him to his new school.
How do we know that wasn't an inside or prearranged deal?
That the QQ wants to transfer seems okay on its face if it was only done on a supposition by the player acting alone.
But combating that possibility it was done with a wink and a nod, like a conspiracy or tampering seems to be the reason for the NIL, offer in an attempt to fight a proverbial fire with fire.
That's why Congress needs to draw the line so that college sports doesn't become open warfare unless the Supreme Court says otherwise.
And that's why some folks want to pack the Supreme Court.
Politics only gets dirtier and nastier without any ethical limits, and the courts are not immune from ideological bias either.
It's every athlete for themselves until the system can be put in some kind of regulatory balance that the majority can agree on in Congress and the SCOTUS.
They'll probably end up battling over it for years unless they can agree that there shouldn't be any quid pro quo NIL deals being offered that are contingent on transferring to a particular school.
If it's not in writing then you'd think that was just a publicity stunt anyway, only done to prove a point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With the news that HC Lincoln Riley was leaving Oklahoma to become the new HC at USC, star freshman QB Caleb Williams announced his intention to transfer from OK and placed his name in the transfer portal.

Enter Charlie Batch, a former pro QB with Detroit & Pittsburgh, and all-time record setting QB with the Eastern Michigan University Eagles. Batch now works for GameOver Capital, a private investment firm run by a group of EMU alumni.

On behalf of his firm, Batch has made a very public NIL offer to Williams of $1,000,000 to transfer to EMU for one year. On its face, this offer does not appear to violate NIL rules in the state of MI. Obviously, it opens up an entirely new NIL front when it comes to recruiting.

Stay tuned.
When the American League had its own rules slightly different than the National league, they had a rule called “travesty of the game.” If an umpire felt something wasn’t right or ethical he could correct it.

Enough said

Reaction Score
Your point is well taken. The argument I would make is that it’s in the interest of major college sports programs, at some level, to foster competitive balance. If you view P-5 football schools as a “mini-NFL” then certainly some type of NIL earnings cap and prohibition against tampering might be just a few regulations to consider in order to prevent a system where the alums with the most money and motivation could create an unwinable bidding war, relegating the majority of programs to permanent second class status, even within their own conference.

Hasn't that been the case all along? It's naive to think that millions of dollars changing hands is a new problem with NIL legislation. I remember Barkley saying that a 100K bribe to sign a MBB HS star would be "no problem". He was talking only half in jest, but he was also saying in effect that "the emperor has no clothes on" while the rest of the media are admiring the cut of the new suit that doesn't even exist.
Hell, when I was at UConn the frats would bribe athletes to join them to win an intramural basketball title. When those frat boys inherit their father's business are they going to act any different?
I don't like it either but the only difference now is that it's right there in our faces where we can't deny its existence.

Reaction Score
Seems like the law of unintended consequences at work here. As the truck drives through the loophole.

Wouldn’t the NCAA have something to say about this? These are EMU alums, therefore boosters. I’m assuming if I ran into Evina Westbrook ( or a potential recruit) at Dunkin Donuts I would not be permitted to buy her a cup of coffee.

No you couldn't. But you could sign her to a contract to endorse Dunkin Donuts coffee that included free coffee for life.

The NCAA went to extremes to prohibit BS and then spent most of their time investigating BS like a free sandwich or a visit to ESPN while wearing blinders to the big stuff. When have we ever heard of a big donor getting caught bribing a recruit? NEVER. Who thinks that's because it never happens? The NCAA stuck to low hanging fruit. Why do you think they are being hands off about NIL? They know.

Reaction Score
Regardless of the rules/laws that will ultimately apply to NIL, sadly, we will see athletes choosing schools because it’s the best financial choice for them. Not because the school, team, coach is the best fit for them. This will lead to disappointment for all parties. I’m not against athletes taking part in the profits that schools reap from their talent and efforts. But, if it’s determined that it’s going to be the “Wild Wild West” where almost anything goes, there will be many unhappy campers on all sides.

Reaction Score
Yes, it is entertainment, and so we get to support what we like and to not support what we dont like. And many of us like competitive games/conferences/tournaments and dislike the prospect of that going away because some teams/colleges/universities have supporters who will happily pay to make their teams dominant. So calling for some regulations that might maintain a "level playing field" is an effort to keep the entertainment entertaining in the way we like. (An analogy might be anti-trust laws that prohibit certain business practices because they harm the interests of customers/consumers.) I dont know what is the best way to accomplish the goal at hand, but the current status quo doesn't hold much promise, IMO.

Reaction Score
My question is why does there have to be any regulation at all? No one regulates Kylie Jenner's ability to make $800k per IG post. No one regulates Joe Blow earning a few bucks selling crap on ebay. Why do we need special rules governing the income of college students? If said college student wasn't a football player, would we need special laws for his off campus job working in a restaurant?
Even the pro leagues have regulations in play for competitive balance. There are the salary caps, otherwise the richest teams could simply always buy the best players. There are rules and boundaries to play within.

Once again the court system has set up a wild, wild west system. Congress unfortunately needs to step in.

Reaction Score
Even the pro leagues have regulations in play for competitive balance. There are the salary caps, otherwise the richest teams could simply always buy the best players. There are rules and boundaries to play within.

Once again the court system has set up a wild, wild west system. Congress unfortunately needs to step in.
Correct. Self-imposed regulations. The government doesn't set salary caps or determine draft order to maintain competitive balance in pro sports leagues. The universities already have an SRO - the NCAA. The member institutions have decided they want the wild wild west system. You might not like it, but you're just an outside observer that gets no say other than to continue watching or not.

Reaction Score

Look at the WNBA. They have a draft but the order of the top picks are determined behind closed doors. There's but one reason for doing that and yet not one media entity has commented about it in the entire history of the WNBA draft. Championships are won by teams with superstars who always seem to end up on a few perennially competitve teams. Stars are steered to top teams. And if a star, like Tina Charles or Waylan or Chiney gets drafted by a team like the Sun they are gone within 2 years to a better market.

Whether it's college or pro it has been a business for a long long time. Amateur sports? The top student-athletes have been getting private professional training since they were 10.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When the American League had its own rules slightly different than the National league, they had a rule called “travesty of the game.” If an umpire felt something wasn’t right or ethical he could correct it.

Enough said
Rule 7:08i was put in place by Baseball in 1911, after a player with the Washington Senators named Germany Schaefer stole 2nd base, trying to draw a throw from the catcher so a teammate on 3rd base could try to score. When the catcher did not throw down to second base, on the next pitch, Schaefer proceeded to steal first base. He was not the first player to do so, but he was the last as MLB subsequently passed Rule 7:08i (travesty of the game), the sole provision of which was that a player was deemed to be out if they ran the bases in reverse order.

Rule 7:08i should not be confused with Rule 8, Section 2 which requires a runner to touch all bases in reverse order, to return to his original base, if he is running when a fly ball is caught by the opposing team.

Not sure what any of this has to do with NIL, but it certainly is an interesting sidetrack to this thread. :)

Reaction Score

Oh yeah. Find a congressman who will vote to inpose restrictions on his home district's college football program. Anything that goes wrong in the program will be blamed on the congressman. Why do you think they have dodged the problem by letting states decide? It's the same thing with gambling and drug laws. Neither congress nor the oval office wants any part of it.

Reaction Score
These things will happen when the emphasis is on greed instead of ethics.

Reaction Score
Congress should pass a law that a team can have no more than one #1 recruit for the sake of fairness and competitive balance.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It already has. Currently, Alaska, Nebraska, CA, NJ & NY permit HS athletes to profit from NIL. Interestingly, TX, one of the first states to pass legislation permitting college athletes to profit from NIL, expressly prohibits HS athletes from profiting in the very same legislation.

Reaction Score
Why do we need a federal NIL law?
If you want something messed up really bad, let the Federal Government (any party, any administration) do it. That's why it must be done federally, the NCAA as a group had their chance at damage to College sports, now let the professionals in DC show you how it can really be done.

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I thought the "NIL" legislation only allowed selling their name, image and likeness NOT their athletic services.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom