OT: - $1,000,000 to transfer? | The Boneyard

OT: $1,000,000 to transfer?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With the news that HC Lincoln Riley was leaving Oklahoma to become the new HC at USC, star freshman QB Caleb Williams announced his intention to transfer from OK and placed his name in the transfer portal.

Enter Charlie Batch, a former pro QB with Detroit & Pittsburgh, and all-time record setting QB with the Eastern Michigan University Eagles. Batch now works for GameOver Capital, a private investment firm run by a group of EMU alumni.

On behalf of his firm, Batch has made a very public NIL offer to Williams of $1,000,000 to transfer to EMU for one year. On its face, this offer does not appear to violate NIL rules in the state of MI. Obviously, it opens up an entirely new NIL front when it comes to recruiting.

Stay tuned.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
With the news that HC Lincoln Riley was leaving Oklahoma to become the new HC at USC, star freshman QB Caleb Williams announced his intention to transfer from OK and placed his name in the transfer portal.

Enter Charlie Batch, a former pro QB with Detroit & Pittsburgh, and all-time record setting QB with the Eastern Michigan University Eagles. Batch now works for GameOver Capital, a private investment firm run by a group of EMU alumni.

On behalf of his firm, Batch has made a very public NIL offer to Williams of $1,000,000 to transfer to EMU for one year. On its face, this offer does not appear to violate NIL rules in the state of MI. Obviously, it opens up an entirely new NIL front when it comes to recruiting.

Stay tuned.
So basically you are saying the BY should start a slush fund to lure a transfer next year?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Seems like the law of unintended consequences at work here. As the truck drives through the loophole.

Wouldn’t the NCAA have something to say about this? These are EMU alums, therefore boosters. I’m assuming if I ran into Evina Westbrook ( or a potential recruit) at Dunkin Donuts I would not be permitted to buy her a cup of coffee.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Seems like the law of unintended consequences at work here. As the truck drives through the loophole.

Wouldn’t the NCAA have something to say about this? These are EMU alums, therefore boosters. I’m assuming if I ran into Evina Westbrook ( or a potential recruit) at Dunkin Donuts I would not be permitted to buy her a cup of coffee.
The NCAA punted NIL to the states
and conferences, so they really have nothing to say about this latest consequence of their “hands off” policy. While you are correct that EMU alums are behind this offer, there is a subtle difference. GameOver Capital is not entirely staffed with EMU grads and, as a private business, it can sign NIL deals with whomever it chooses.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would add “as we know it” to your comment. College sports have been undergoing a fundamental change for a long time, certainly well before the advent of NIL. College football has lead the way with the consolidation of top programs within the P5 conferences, who basically have operated without NCAA oversight for a number of years as a multi-billion dollar business.

Reaction Score

Who says the consequences are unintended? This is exactly what big athletic departments had in mind. Buying and selling players just like the pro teams they are.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The interesting thing about this $1,000,000 offer to Williams is what will other schools do? His former OK coach is now at USC. Certainly, there are a number of “well-healed” USC alums who run businesses in Southern CA. Will a bidding war for Williams services break out?

Reaction Score
The NCAA punted NIL to the states
and conferences, so they really have nothing to say about this latest consequence of their “hands off” policy. While you are correct that EMU alums are behind this offer, there is a subtle difference. GameOver Capital is not entirely staffed with EMU grads and, as a private business, it can sign NIL deals with whomever it chooses.

Until Congress passes a federal NIL law it’s basically the wild wild west with states passing their own statutes. As far as the NCAA goes, I question if they will even be around in ten years if recent court decisions are any sort of guide.

Reaction Score
Until Congress passes a federal NIL law it’s basically the wild wild west with states passing their own statutes. As far as the NCAA goes, I question if they will even be around in ten years if recent court decisions are any sort of guide.

Why do we need a federal NIL law?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We don’t. But we do need one set of rules for everyone on NIL. The NCAA is looking for the feds to set rules so they don’t face a bevy of lawsuits. The feds don’t want to get involved in what should rightfully be under the NCAA’s purview. In the absence of any meaningful oversight by either organization, the states & conferences have filled the void with a hodgepodge of different rules and regulations on NIL.

Reaction Score
I would add “as we know it” to your comment. College sports have been undergoing a fundamental change for a long time, certainly well before the advent of NIL. College football has lead the way with the consolidation of top programs within the P5 conferences, who basically have operated without NCAA oversight for a number of years as a multi-billion dollar business.
I agree. The NCAA is a joke. They’ve allowed these “franchises” and their boosters to go shopping and buy coaches away from other “franchises” for years but now they should be concerned about the actual revenue producers getting paid? Screw them.

Reaction Score
Until there is a national law schools in certain states are going to have a huge recruiting advantage over ones with no law, or more restrictive ones. We all think of the star athletes like PB and NIL opportunities, but every player is from somewhere, and maybe a local car dealership or local restaurant would like to use their name, image, or likeness for their local or regional advertising campaign. Until there is a national standard athletes are going to gravitate to the schools that offer the greatest financial opportunities. No way you can hold that against them.

Reaction Score
We don’t. But we do need one set of rules for everyone on NIL. The NCAA is looking for the feds to set rules so they don’t face a bevy of lawsuits. The feds don’t want to get involved in what should rightfully be under the NCAA’s purview. In the absence of any meaningful oversight by either organization, the states & conferences have filled the void with a hodgepodge of different rules and regulations on NIL.
My question is why does there have to be any regulation at all? No one regulates Kylie Jenner's ability to make $800k per IG post. No one regulates Joe Blow earning a few bucks selling crap on ebay. Why do we need special rules governing the income of college students? If said college student wasn't a football player, would we need special laws for his off campus job working in a restaurant?

Reaction Score
My question is why does there have to be any regulation at all? No one regulates Kylie Jenner's ability to make $800k per IG post. No one regulates Joe Blow earning a few bucks selling crap on ebay. Why do we need special rules governing the income of college students? If said college student wasn't a football player, would we need special laws for his off campus job working in a restaurant?

I would think the simplest reason is without standardized rules, the rich are going get richer.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Your point is well taken. The argument I would make is that it’s in the interest of major college sports programs, at some level, to foster competitive balance. If you view P-5 football schools as a “mini-NFL” then certainly some type of NIL earnings cap and prohibition against tampering might be just a few regulations to consider in order to prevent a system where the alums with the most money and motivation could create an unwinable bidding war, relegating the majority of programs to permanent second class status, even within their own conference.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Admittedly I have not followed the NIL issue(s) all that closely.

Sounds like some are saying, though, that we are essentially turning college sports into pro sports.

Except everyone is a free agent, and there is no salary cap.

With various constituencies saying either “that’s great!” or “that’s terrible!”

Reaction Score
The wonder is this didn't happen sooner.
I've wondered about this also.
If, let's use Jeff Bezos as an example, wanted to vault his alma mater into championship contention in women's basketball, it would seem to be a rather straightforward process.
He could use NIL to lure 5 or 6 of the top high school players, in successive years, to NJ !
The limitation of Princeton's entry requirements would be a minor obstacle. The players could make more $ in college than in their entire professional career.
It would be a more costly enterprise to duplicate this process in college football.
But considering how rabid some college football fans are, is it not unreasonable to assume that there's a billionaire out there, right now, plotting on how he'll take his alma mater to the BCS championship in a few years ?

Reaction Score
I stopped watching the NFL for some of these (expressed
on the boneyard ) reasons. I was naive before, and , until
recently I continued to be. The world changes, I don't.
Sounds like the Sacred Heart Academy H.S. team (Connecticut)
has their own NCAA " values " commissioner in their 67 y.o.
President, Sister O'Niell, who wrote a " letter of remorse" to
the Connecticut WBB community after her WBB team won 92 - 4.
The follow up in the CONN. newspaper
had the SHA coach being " suspended " for one game for
not maintaining the sportmanship qualities embraced by
the philosophy of the school ( as explained in the earlier
"letter of remorse ". Interesting..... where will you draw your
line in the sand on this?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads