Zach Brown's recruitiment part of investigation | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Zach Brown's recruitiment part of investigation

Reaction Score
N.C.A.A. Questioned Its Authority in Penalizing Penn State

N.C.A.A. Decides to Roll Back Sanctions Against Penn State

They aren’t different PSU just allowed some before they fought back.

The NCAA admitted no legal ability to sanction UNC for their fake classes.

It seems to me there is a logical conclusion the NCAA COULD have come to regarding the UNC academic fraud that would have given them the authority to take away wins and championships as well as penalizing them with lost scholarships and anything else a reasonable person would have judged was warranted.

UNC admitted the classes were fraudulent. That would make the grades fraudulent which in turn means the "student athletes", who in many cases took multiple fake classes each semester, didn't take the minimum credits that semester or didn't have a high enough GPA and thus were ineligible.

But, when your TV contracts are negatively impacted by the lower ratings you'd have because the Duke/UNC games would have been banned for a year or more, you do what you have to do to keep the money flowing. The hell with honor and integrity.

Reaction Score
If they were investigating because of Wilson would they really appeal the last denial? We know the investigation has been ongoing since the fall and they appealed after Christmas.

I am down to about zero respect for our Athletic Department but even I don’t think they could be quite that stupid.

You may be completely correct about SJU not being involved, but I don't think the decision to appeal is probative one way or another.

If everything at issue has already happened, and we know we're under investigation but we're not admitting guilt, why wouldn't we appeal?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Given that this is all purely hypothetical, IF our appeal set St. Johns off and caused them to retaliate, is that an off-the-wall reaction by them

The chance of our appeal being granted by the NCAA always seemed low, so not a lot of upside for taking on that risk.
It shouldn’t have been low. The NCAA allowed a kid who had enrolled and started summer courses at OSU and then transferred to play at his new school. It is totally unfair that Sid is not allowed to play!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
You used the word "snakebit" and I have to agree that it is very fitting. Enough "stuff" happened over the past 3 to 4 years that it was always going to be an uphill battle.

Make that 8-10 years.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If we got punished for taking classes by the ncaa, how does the ncaa not punish unc for not taking classes?

because they passed all those classes that never existed, duuuuuuuuuh

Reaction Score

You’re joking right? The score was 73-68. What is the score if we play Xavier? St. John’s, who I hate BTW, has been competitive just like last night against some good teams and not against others, but If you had to put your house up in a game against St.. John’s, would you do it? No way. They are better than us. We are in no position to throw stones against either them or Pitt who is also better than us.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
If football and basketball players (and people clamoring for college players to be paid) had any real clue about being a minor league baseball player they would completely change their tune. They live with host families, travel by bus, eat crap food, make poverty level wages with exception to few who had large signing bonuses, have crap training facilities, etc.

College athletes have no clue how well and cushy they have it compared to paid minor leaguers in baseball, hockey, soccer, etc

Minor league baseball players are paid what they are worth. At least the open market is pricing their services.

Reaction Score
It shouldn’t have been low. The NCAA allowed a kid who had enrolled and started summer courses at OSU and then transferred to play at his new school. It is totally unfair that Sid is not allowed to play!

Counterpoint: it was us doing the asking, and the NCAA making the decision. The same organization that penalized us retroactovely for a new rule it came up with that only affected us.

Reaction Score
You’re joking right? The score was 73-68. What is the score if we play Xavier? St. John’s, who I hate BTW, has been competitive just like last night against some good teams and not against others, but If you had to put your house up in a game against St.. John’s, would you do it? No way. They are better than us. We are in no position to throw stones against either them or Pitt who is also better than us.
What? I mean I'm as realistic as the next guy about this season, but this is some depressing stuff. St. Johns has lost literally every BE game they played. As insanely, remarkably, historically, bad as we have been when we're playing on the road with short turn arounds, we've been passable at home with rest. Our team is young and overly reliant on two players, it's really not as shocking as everyone makes it out to be. The only thing shocking is their inability to care enough to continue to play games when they get down by 15.

And Pitt might be the one team I can definitively say is more of a dumpster fire than we are.

No, I wouldn't bet my house on a game against either team. I wouldn't bet my house on any game this UConn team played. Or really anything... But I don't think any declaration of St. Johns or Pitt being better than us is warranted, particularly from a "fan".

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I don't know about that. Ever since Calhoun showed no remorse over the Miles case it seems the NCAA has had it in for UConn. And he clearly showed some hostility toward the NCAA official (can't remember his name but I think he was the Kentucky AD) who presented him with the trophy after winning the championship in 2011.

Voila, along came the opportunity to sanction UConn and no other major schools for the APR deficiencies in 2013. The rule was in place, but not implemented, for several years so why wait until 2012? Easy, as it was the first year there were no major schools affected except for UConn. All the other schools that year were small or mid-majors.

There's a portion of the NCAA website that shows the APR scores for the schools and as I recall it covers a number of years. I went to that site and found Indiana would have been penalized for three years in a row before the year we were and others, possibly Syracuse and Arkansas would have as well. Can't recall and it's too late to try to find the info tonight.

The trophy was handed to him by C.M. Newton, a long time SEC school AD.

I don't know if I'd go as far as thinking anything nefarious has resulted merely from trophy presentations. From 2013-2016 Emmert had to hand over NC trophies to Geno, and those moments always looked awkward and strained.

I think your point is well taken, though. Calhoun never was much for PR BS, and was never well liked outside the program and fanbase. He clearly had no interest in winning any popularity contests. To some extent that has likely hurt us in dealings with the NCAA.

Reaction Score
What? I mean I'm as realistic as the next guy about this season, but this is some depressing stuff. St. Johns has lost literally every BE game they played. As insanely, remarkably, historically, bad as we have been when we're playing on the road with short turn arounds, we've been passable at home with rest. Our team is young and overly reliant on two players, it's really not as shocking as everyone makes it out to be. The only thing shocking is their inability to care enough to continue to play games when they get down by 15.

And Pitt might be the one team I can definitively say is more of a dumpster fire than we are.

No, I wouldn't bet my house on a game against either team. I wouldn't bet my house on any game this UConn team played. Or really anything... But I don't think any declaration of St. Johns or Pitt being better than us is warranted, particularly from a "fan".
Do you think I like saying it? Question. Xavier is playing us here. We only lose by 5? Please.

Reaction Score

>>The Courant has learned the NCAA has been interviewing various outside individuals, such as prep school coaches, about players UConn has recruited, whether or not they eventually committed to UConn.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, questions have been asked about numerous players, not necessarily one player or case, but generally about the program’s recruiting practices dating back a couple of years.

The inquiry, which UConn acknowledged Friday, has been going on for some time.<<

Reaction Score
As more and more stuff has leaked out like today’s Courant piece, this has the trappings of an inexperienced head coach who didn’t know the rules and/or didn’t have the control or confidence to challenge his subordinates. I’ve seen a similar situation in a business I worked with. The CEO wasn’t a bad guy and he didn’t intend to screw things up. He just was over his head. Because he didn’t know better he accepted his subordinates actions without serious questioning. End result was a real mess.

Reaction Score
According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, questions have been asked about numerous players, not necessarily one player or case, but generally about the program’s recruiting practices dating back a couple of years.

The inquiry, which UConn acknowledged Friday, has been going on for some time.<<
Witch hunt.

Reaction Score
To me, this reeks of an inside job. Seriously, how many violations can KO and staff break on dudes we don't even get? This is comical. Seems more and more that it will be a slap on the wrist and a way to void the buyout.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

>>The Courant has learned the NCAA has been interviewing various outside individuals, such as prep school coaches, about players UConn has recruited, whether or not they eventually committed to UConn.

Sure sounds like a witch hunt, doesn't it?

Reaction Score

It's hard to believe the reporting. The NCAA will have gotten wind of something before they just start sniffing around randomly. One should hope.

If they come out and say, "Nothing to see hear, we were just checking," [which would be good and optimal], only then will I be inclined to believe this was an orchestrated attempt to hurt UConn.

Reaction Score
It seems to me there is a logical conclusion the NCAA COULD have come to regarding the UNC academic fraud that would have given them the authority to take away wins and championships as well as penalizing them with lost scholarships and anything else a reasonable person would have judged was warranted.

UNC admitted the classes were fraudulent. That would make the grades fraudulent which in turn means the "student athletes", who in many cases took multiple fake classes each semester, didn't take the minimum credits that semester or didn't have a high enough GPA and thus were ineligible.

But, when your TV contracts are negatively impacted by the lower ratings you'd have because the Duke/UNC games would have been banned for a year or more, you do what you have to do to keep the money flowing. The hell with honor and integrity.
The UNC situation was different in that it involved academics. Universities are open to many things but the red line for them is that they will not give control of class content over to another entity. It opens a pandora’s box. Suppose someone offers a class on the economics of college sports that blasts the NCAA but is not as rigorous as typical economics classes at a given school. If you allow the NCAA to police it there could be real issues if they fail to certify it. Did they really oppose the rigor or the subject? And that is a real conflict. Better leave academics to the academics. And in the UNC case the school recognized the class as legit for earning a degree. If they had not there were too many problems for non-athletes.

Then you get into evaluating classes among 300 plus schools. That is where the NCAA would have to go if they went after UNC. Do you really think that classes at, say Louisville stack up with, say Harvard? Each school sets its own standards for class quality and graduation and that is just the way it has to be. UNC gamed the system and cheated its students but that isn’t the NCAA’s jurisdiction. And there is no way it can be.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
The UNC situation was different in that it involved academics. Universities are open to many things but the red line for them is that they will not give control of class content over to another entity. It opens a pandora’s box. Suppose someone offers a class on the economics of college sports that blasts the NCAA but is not as rigorous as typical economics classes at a given school. If you allow the NCAA to police it there could be real issues if they fail to certify it. Did they really oppose the rigor or the subject? And that is a real conflict. Better leave academics to the academics. And in the UNC case the school recognized the class as legit for earning a degree. If they had not there were too many problems for non-athletes.

Then you get into evaluating classes among 300 plus schools. That is where the NCAA would have to go if they went after UNC. Do you really think that classes at, say Louisville stack up with, say Harvard? Each school sets its own standards for class quality and graduation and that is just the way it has to be. UNC gamed the system and cheated its students but that isn’t the NCAA’s jurisdiction. And there is no way it can be.

I understand your well written position. How about the fake APR angle? Wouldn't the NCAA be responsible for acting on that? Asking for a friend.

Reaction Score
We crap on our program enough on the BY. It's OK to crap on others as well. St. John's deserve a crapping on - not for that specific game but for their performance as a whole.

Chill out.

Reaction Score
How far down the rabbit hole is the NCAA willing to go?

Let's say they find UConn offered "x" to a recruit who turned them down and went to another school. Do they start sniffing around the other school's recruiting practices as well as it is possible that the other school offered "x+y"?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom