Zach Brown's recruitiment part of investigation | The Boneyard

Zach Brown's recruitiment part of investigation

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs: For UConn men, ‘vibes’ good, results bad
According to Hearst Connecticut Media sources, the inquiry is looking at the recruitment of at least five such players. Again these are questions, not convictions, and each circumstance could have varying degrees of veracity.

According to multiple sources, Zach Brown’s recruitment is among those in the inquiry. The 7-foot Miami native, once ranked No. 35 nationally by ESPN in his class, de-committed from UConn in 2016 and signed with St. John’s. After one of his multiple arrests, St. John’s released Brown from his letter of intent early in 2017. Brown is currently in prison for violating parole.

Michael Lipman, Brown's former legal guardian, told Dave Borges of Hearst Connecticut Media the NCAA has not contacted him regarding Brown's recruitment by UConn. He told Borges that UConn's compliance office was diligent in making sure the school's recruitment of Brown was on the up-and-up. According to Lipman, the school determined former UConn player Boo Willingham's mentor-like relationship with Brown wasn’t a conflict of interest since that relationship had started when Brown was in sixth grade. Had it started when Brown was a seventh-grader or later, it could have been an issue.

Reaction Score
This is funny. I had said to a friend on Sunday after seeing a picture of Bu at a cigar bar in philly before the Temple game that other than Zach Brown, who was an absolute trainwreck, he hasn't produced much for someone with AAU connections that spends as much time as he around the program. I know he's best friends with Ollie and a former player, but he's flying in and out for games like someone is bankrolling it for him. If the best he can produce is a 7-foot cross-dresser i'm comfortable discontinuing whatever level of assistance UConn is providing him to hang around the program. And if he's just around 24/7 because he and Ollie are inseparable it's gotta be cuz the vibes is good

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Interesting he noted it wasn’t leaked by the ‘UConn heirarchy’.
Noted that too. He made a special effort to emphasize that, and specify that they confirmed it, which leads me to suspect it's a tell and he's protecting his source.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Someone from St. Johns?
No, I mean I think his source is in the UConn hierarchy (possibly in the AD's office, as some have suggested), and he wanted to specify that the leak didn't originate there, but was merely "confirmed," because there was some also the suggestion here (and elsewhere I'm guessing) that it could have been intentionally leaked in an attempt to manufacture cause to terminate Ollie's contract--which I still think is ill-advised in any event.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Noted that too. He made a special effort to emphasize that, and specify that they confirmed it, which leads me to suspect it's a tell and he's protecting his source.

That was my reaction too. ‘Heirarchy’.

The timing just screamed someone at UConn trying to bury Ollie.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
No, I mean I think his source is in the UConn hierarchy (possibly in the AD's office, as some have suggested), and he wanted to specify that the leak didn't originate there, but was merely "confirmed," because there was some also the suggestion here (and elsewhere I'm guessing) that it could have been intentionally leaked in an attempt to manufacture cause to terminate Ollie's contract--which I still think is ill-advised in any event.
I think the administration is not on Ollie’s side. They’ll save themselves before him - he’s disposable and he is used goods.

It’s a scapegoat tactic that’s used in business everywhere. See one tiny violation and you grill the poor-performing guy to get him out of the door.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
The common thread between Zach Brown (mentioned here) and Sid Wilson (speculated to be potentially involved)? It's St. Johns. I bet they got pissed off over losing Sid and b!tched about UConn's 'tactics' to the NCAA. Sour grapes.

The more I'm reading, the more this reeks of a non-story:
  • Over 100 hours of interviews for recruits WE DIDN'T EVEN GET.
  • No confirmation of any SPECIFIC infractions from any of the media or NCAA.
  • Our recruiting has been anything but a powerhouse of late, so what was gained from these 'recruiting' tactics we're being investigated for?
  • For as much as people want to throw KO under the bus for other reasons, I simply CANNOT IMAGINE him knowingly cheating. Criticize him all you want for his coaching, but I firmly believe he would NOT KNOWINGLY cheat.

So... where's the smoking gun after all of this?? Hundreds of hours of interviews with recruits that aren't even at UConn?! Does this happen with other schools??

Starting to feel like another NCAA witch-hunt. Until I see something proving otherwise, that's what I'm thinking. And it's probably the most likely outcome. I sense nothing will come of this except further dragging UConn's name through the mud. Par for the course for the NCAA.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

St John’s seems to be a theme. The Sid appeal was like batting a hornets nest since their fake classes in theory made them vulnerable. But of course in reality fake classes are fine but maybe they got caught up in the best defense is a good offense.

Reaction Score
I think the administration is not on Ollie’s side. They’ll save themselves before him - he’s disposable and he is used goods.

It’s a scapegoat tactic that’s used in business everywhere. See one tiny violation and you grill the poor-performing guy to get him out of the door.

Sigh. You bury the school and its reputation and make it impossible to hire a good coach with such an agenda. At the end of the day, it will cost you much more money than a $9 million buyout. It is stupid in the extreme.

Reaction Score
The common thread between Zach Brown (mentioned here) and Sid Wilson (potentially involed)? St. Johns. I bet they got pissed off over losing Sid and b!tched about UConn's 'tactics' to the NCAA. Sour grapes.

The more I'm reading, the more this reeks of a non-story:
  • Over 100 hours of interviews for recruits WE DIDN'T EVEN GET.
  • No confirmation of any SPECIFIC infractions from any of the media or NCAA.
  • Our recruiting has been anything but a powerhouse of late, so what was gained from these 'recruiting' tactics we're being investigated for?
  • For as much as people want to throw KO under the bus for other reasons, I simply CANNOT IMAGINE him knowingly cheating. Criticize him all you want for his coaching, but I firmly believe he would NOT KNOWINGLY cheat.

So... where's the smoking gun after all of this?? Hundreds of hours of interviews with recruits that aren't even at UConn?! Does this happen with other schools??

Starting to feel like another NCAA witch-hunt. Until I see something proving otherwise, that's what I'm thinking. And it's probably the most likely outcome. I sense nothing will come of this except further dragging UConn's name through the mud.

It's interesting, but I really don't think UConn's name is being dragged through the mud all that much as a result of this.

I've been paying attention to people's responses on various platforms and, while there's some doofus' (cuse fans, obviously) that are like "duuuh UConn's dirty duuuh," most CBB fans' reaction to this have been to attack the NCAA for all the various issues they're facing at the moment.

Unless something major is found, I really don't think UConn's reputation will be tarnished all that much.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sigh. You bury the school and its reputation and make it impossible to hire a good coach with such an agenda. At the end of the day, it will cost you much more money than a $9 million buyout. It is stupid in the extreme.
Yeah, it sounds like it was a hot take, quite possibly by someone in the "hierarchy." My hope is that cooler heads prevail, because I don't see that as a winning strategy here.

Reaction Score
It's interesting, but I really don't think UConn's name is being dragged through the mud all that much as a result of this.

I've been paying attention to people's responses on various platforms and, while there's some doofus' (cuse fans, obviously) that are like "duuuh UConn's dirty duuuh," most CBB fans' reaction to this have been to attack the NCAA for all the various issues they're facing at the moment.

Unless something major is found, I really don't think UConn's reputation will be tarnished all that much.
It is and will end up like the football program. Who will want come here. For what?

Reaction Score
It doesn’t really matter the source. Nobody is turning down this job for that reason. But given the new rules with coaches responsible for their programs the Sgt Shultz defense doesn’t work any more anyway. If an assistant broke the rules Ollie is on the hook.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom