Xavier Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Xavier Postgame Thread

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
  • UCONN won by a lot. Always nice to get a palindrome.
  • Brutal game to watch, well at least the first 5 minutes...ouch
  • Good defense (or bad offense) on Xavier 22%/19%/50%. Can't get much better than that
  • Juhasz with a double double, nice. 18/17 shooting 67%
  • Muhl gets 9 assists, right at her season avg. On track to blow away the single season assist record (231) before the regular season ends.
  • 22 turnovers, ugh.
  • 46%/33%/77% not bad, but not great, especially against Xavier
  • SNY not showing Muhl dribbling out the end of the game.....or did she set the ball down???

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I feel like I say this every time I hear one of her pressers, but I really like Mel Moore. Xavier is a great school, and if she could have two or three decent recruiting wins, I think she'd start to build something special there.

Reaction Score
I am one of those Amari fans, but you hit the nail on the head. The last few games I have been concentrating my attention solely on her movements and her motor appears at different pace than the rest of the squad, I believe CD pointed that out to her last night, something about "moving her feet". She has the size, and the talent to be very good!
I’m another one of those Amari fans and I e noticed the same things about her. Slow feet, low energy, but a great deal of intuitive talent. The first thing that struck me about her even as a freshman was that she would catch the ball high and turn to shoot without ever bringing it low. And with her long arms she can block shots and grab rebounds over smaller players. But her footwork in the lane is slow and she often looks confused about how to position herself on defense. I think a lot of her fouls come from not moving her feet quickly or efficiently enough. She is definitely a project for CD and if any one can develop her great talent, CD can. Jamelle can certainly teach her post moves and wiles, but CD is the one to police her attitude and energy level. I like this kid and I want UConn to benefit from her talent, but only time will tell if it will work out. I think she’s worth a roster spot to find out. The upside is too great not to try.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Here is an updated table on "Why did I make that stupid Pass" (turnover rates) statistics.

Screenshot 2023-01-04 091742.png

Reaction Score
Here is an updated table on "Why did I make that stupid Pass" (turnover rates) statistics.

View attachment 82746
Thanks, Brewski.

The circumstances are different now, including her teammates and her role, but it's interesting that Nika is averaging a TO every 10.3 minutes this season while, as a freshman and sophomore, it was a TO for every 14 minutes.

This season's frequency has increased in the last 10 games, too, when she's averaging almost 4 TOs per games.

Nika has clearly been the 'engine, as many like to call her, that makes the Huskies go, but she made roughly 2 TOs per game against teams such as Texas and NC State early in the season. I suspect at least part of the recent increase is the result of all the success she's had in up tempo situations, hence the natural inclination to go for it more often, too often it turns out with risky passes.

As others have noted, she won't have as many chances for those 'wow' passes later on against tournament rivals. I hope between now and then she can curb that desire to hit the home run every time.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I feel like I say this every time I hear one of her pressers, but I really like Mel Moore. Xavier is a great school, and if she could have two or three decent recruiting wins, I think she'd start to build something special there.

As Leo Durocher was so famously quoted "Nice guys finish last"...this Moore's 4th year and frankly she is not deserving of getting her contract extended. She is in her 4th year and is 6-45 in Big East play with ZERO improvement.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Thanks, Brewski.

The circumstances are different now, including her teammates and her role, but it's interesting that Nika is averaging a TO every 10.3 minutes this season while, as a freshman and sophomore, it was a TO for every 14 minutes.

This season's frequency has increased in the last 10 games, too, when she's averaging almost 4 TOs per games.

Nika has clearly been the 'engine, as many like to call her, that makes the Huskies go, but she made roughly 2 TOs per game against teams such as Texas and NC State early in the season. I suspect at least part of the recent increase is the result of all the success she's had in up tempo situations, hence the natural inclination to go for it more often, too often it turns out with risky passes.

As others have noted, she won't have as many chances for those 'wow' passes later on against tournament rivals. I hope between now and then she can curb that desire to hit the home run every time.
Thanks @The deacon. Nika is a lot more confident in her play this year versus her freshman year and she has solidified her starting job, so I also think she's willing to take "riskier" passes. It all comes down to fundamentals and coaching. I am confident you'll see an improved Nika as the season continues.

Reaction Score
Some SNY director must be reading the BY and decided not to show the ball for the last 10 seconds or so of the game. :):rolleyes:
Well perhaps just dribbling out the clock and placing the ball on the floor isn't a good look????

Reaction Score
It looks like you're assuming that the pieces don't fit together into a whole. With those players out, Aubrey's task gets a lot harder, not easier. I'd have loved to see her step up, too. But with only Lou on the perimeter and a depleted front court, ND packed the paint -- why wouldn't they? -- and Aubrey's slashing game became impossible. Ebo's main weakness (slow feet) became a virtue as she barely had to move at all to shut Aubrey down. If Azzi and Caroline are in the lineup, suddenly the paint can't be packed, and ND can't afford to give Ebo so many minutes, and with Dorka in the game in a clean lane (as Rebecca Lobo likes to say) we get much better paint production from Aubrey and Aaliyah too. and perhaps we even see more of the transition game, which is Aubrey's bread and butter. If we meet ND again with all our pieces intact, I expect a very different game from Aubrey and everyone else.

Reaction Score
Lou was making liberal use of Kleenex while sitting on the bench. She might have the same head cold I have - it’s not debilitating but it makes my nose run constantly and I’m always pretty tired. Lou looked tired. The short balls and front-rim shots could indicate she’s dragging a bit
Yep... Lou was sick as a dog. (wicked head cold/flu type) It started just before the Butler game and in full force for Xavier. But hey... she isn't exactly going to call in sick at the office. Team first... runny nose & aches and pains later. But if there was a good moment to have the head cold from hell... it was probably these two games.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yep... Lou was sick as a dog. (wicked head cold/flu type) It started just before the Butler game and in full force for Xavier. But hey... she isn't exactly going to call in sick at the office. Team first... runny nose & aches and pains later. But if there was a good moment to have the head cold from hell... it was probably these two games.
Unfortunately, this one seems to linger.

Reaction Score
I love that Coach CD is giving Ines and Amari some minutes, 22 (Ines) and 17 (Amari). This will pay huge benefits as the season progresses.

Dorka and Aubrey had a great game. Aubrey, hopefully, can use these kinds of games to build up her confidence so when we battle the tougher and more physical teams, this experience will be very valuable. Dorka just looked unstoppable. Just keep building on that experience.

Ines! OMG. I am glad that Coach CD is giving her some minutes. Ines is going to be a huge asset as the season progresses.

The rest of the team, they are building that confidence and that is huge.

Great win, UConn!!

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Butler game:
  • With Azzi & Caroline still on the mend it’s nice to face Xavier, where UConn was able to use every healthy player on the roster, coming away with a relatively easy victory. Credit to Ayanna, Amari and Ines who contributed meaningful PT to a UConn win for the 2nd game in a row.
  • Once again, the Huskies dominated the paint at both ends of the court. Lots of inside scoring, while going an incredible +29 on the boards with Dorka leading the way with a double-double at the half and 17 rebounds for the game.
  • Aubrey continues to provide tremendous energy, scoring, rebounding and defense for UConn. She impacts the game in so many ways, I’m not sure where the Huskies would be without her.
  • Nika & Lou both played OK tonight, but I think all the minutes they are playing, with Azzi & Caroline out, are taking something of a toll on them.
  • After a stat stuffer 1st half with 4 pts, 5 rb, 3 ast, 1 stl, 2 blk, while also taking out a tray of nachos, Aaliyah joins the walking wounded with what is hopefully a minor ankle injury???
  • Loved the buzzer beater 3 by Ines at the end of the 3rd QTR. :)
  • While UConn’s offensive execution has its ups and downs, the Huskies are playing really tough team defense right now. Tonight, the Huskies held the Musketeers to just 21% shooting for the game.
  • Hopefully, UConn can get a little healthier for the matchup on Sunday against Morrow and her Blue Deamon teammates.
Although it is useful to point out that Xavier wan the forth quarter 17-14, I think. So our bench occupied meaningful minutes, but didn't exactly dominate. I still want to see Patterson shoot the ball. DeBerry does some nice things and some mind boggling things ( not in a good way ). But meaningful playing time clearly has a positive effect on her. As it does for #21 ( Ines). So far, however, it hasn't changed much for Patterson"s offense. But her defending and hustle are top notch.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
I'll take and be very happy with 15 points from a player with the "head cold from hell" . :)

Reaction Score
I am one of those Amari fans, but you hit the nail on the head. The last few games I have been concentrating my attention solely on her movements and her motor appears at different pace than the rest of the squad, I believe CD pointed that out to her last night, something about "moving her feet". She has the size, and the talent to be very good!
While opinions vary, Amari appears to have the most potential of all the subs in the position they have the most need. Unfortunately, she seems to be thinking too much every time she touches the ball. Not sure Geno's plan of yelling at her and/or benching her after every mistake is working.

Reaction Score
I’m another one of those Amari fans and I e noticed the same things about her. Slow feet, low energy, but a great deal of intuitive talent. The first thing that struck me about her even as a freshman was that she would catch the ball high and turn to shoot without ever bringing it low. And with her long arms she can block shots and grab rebounds over smaller players. But her footwork in the lane is slow and she often looks confused about how to position herself on defense. I think a lot of her fouls come from not moving her feet quickly or efficiently enough. She is definitely a project for CD and if any one can develop her great talent, CD can. Jamelle can certainly teach her post moves and wiles, but CD is the one to police her attitude and energy level. I like this kid and I want UConn to benefit from her talent, but only time will tell if it will work out. I think she’s worth a roster spot to find out. The upside is too great not to try.
Honestly I don't think CD and Jamelle can do anything about the issue until Amari truly commits to her game. It's all between the ears and maybe she needs time with the sports psychologist. Often folks do this thing where they tell themselves they can't fail if they never fully try and commit..... it sounds crazy but it's a thing. Self sabotage.

Reaction Score
While opinions vary, Amari appears to have the most potential of all the subs in the position they have the most need. Unfortunately, she seems to be thinking too much every time she touches the ball. Not sure Geno's plan of yelling at her and/or benching her after every mistake is working.
I would go as far to say Amari has the most natural talent of all the front court players, including Edwards... I really think it's all between her ears to fully commit to being great.

Reaction Score
Honestly I don't think CD and Jamelle can do anything about the issue until Amari truly commits to her game. It's all between the ears and maybe she needs time with the sports psychologist. Often folks do this thing where they tell themselves they can't fail if they never fully try and commit..... it sounds crazy but it's a thing. Self sabotage.
I agree and disagree. Obviously, CD and Jamelle can’t put the heart in her. You’re right that she’s got to find that in herself on her own. But kids with no heart for competition often are very disorganized in other aspects of their behavior, and CD can help with that. There’s a great video of CD haranguing freshman Stewie about her body language as she’s standing on a sideline in practice.

Focus a kid’s mind on their own behavior and it’s a lot easier for them to get their own act together in other aspects of their life. And if CD can help her develop some self discipline, I imagine Jamelle can get Amari the rest of the way.

As a teacher of kids exactly this age, though, I can testify that in the aftermath of the pandemic it’s been a lot harder to demand much of students. They just don’t have the hardihood to reach (even to aspire) as high as they used to. So I can see how motivating Amari may have been more difficult for CD and Geno than with kids in the past.

Reaction Score
I kind of felt that CD's sleeves were dragging up and down the court during most of the game, and I've never noticed that before. I'm not saying I have the best basketball IQ or intuition, but if I were her, I would keep those sleeves at arms length.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom