Xavier Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Xavier Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
From comments made by Meg Culmo and others, my impression is that Ayanna is as frustrated as everyone else with her play. She may be thinking too hard. Remember Asjha Jones as a freshman? Geno said she was “too freaking smart” and overthought everything. It wasn’t until she relaxed and just played that she began to excel. Ayanna may also be feeling additional pressure when Dorka was out, them Aaliyah, and trying too hard to fill in for them.
I agree nerves and overthinking has something to do with it. She's missed several bunnies this year. And, I also expect any freshman to make mistakes and be inconsistent.

But, she hasn't shown any glimpses especially with her offense. Most of points have been easy putbacks. She tried to create a move tonight and she was looking at her feet and her dribble the whole time. And, this was against a poor team in a blowout. She'll need to work on her offensive game a lot in the summer if she wants significant playing time next year.

Reaction Score
The Uconn team that is available right now is just biding it'a time until all the healthy players are back and then , watch out. Thank God the players playing now are doing enough to win games and hold the fort until Azzi and Caroline are back and hoping nothing is wrong with Aaliyah and her ankle. Also hoping Lou doesn't get any worse. I have been around for a looooong time and never seen a team with so many players being sidelined by endless injuries. Once we heal and nothing else happens we will be able to finish out the season in Uconn style. Another Conference Championship and on to the NC. Great coaching CD! GO HUSKIES!!!
Appreciate the post. But, are you watching? These guys aren’t holding down any fort. They’re kicking butt.
Everyone: stop feeling sorry for UConn. UConn has good players.
Question: do you think any WNBA GMs are paying attention to Aubrey? If they’re not, they’re asleep at the wheel.
UConn is HARD! Stop expecting UConn games to be Rembrandts. They held Xavier under 20% shooting most of the game. Watch and enjoy a solid top 5 team performing in a season in which anybody in the top 10 could win the NC.

Reaction Score
I agree nerves and overthinking has something to do with it. She's missed several bunnies this year. And, I also expect any freshman to make mistakes and be inconsistent.

But, she hasn't shown any glimpses especially with her offense. Most of points have been easy putbacks. She tried to create a move tonight and she was looking at her feet and her dribble the whole time. And, this was against a poor team in a blowout. She'll need to work on her offensive game a lot in the summer if she wants significant playing time next year.
I predict she’s gunna help UConn THIS Year. She’s in the advanced class and she’s freaking a little. She’s got pedigree. She’ll settle in and contribute THIS year. Don’t talk about the summer, when you’re rooting for a team that’s won 6 in a row, and has a chance to win it all. I hate that. I’ll start thinking about next year the middle of April.

Reaction Score
Garbage time in basketball is when the walk-ons and players that never get in games come in and play. It usually lasts about 2-3 minutes.
I hate to be negative, but I would classify that game as 40 minutes of garbage time. That opponent had to be one of the worst teams I have ever seen.
The first 5 minutes when both teams were 2-19 shooting and we had 5 turnovers, was just awful basketball. No positives can be taken from that game.
And we had another injury to our best player season to date.
Painful to watch.
@ my2cents...... Why would someone that hates to be negative do so? No attack just a real question. Everyone knows what the term garbage time relates to but most have left that in the past just like other condescending terms for other humans. What does it say about someone that would continue to watch two hours of what they consider garbage time basketball?

They played a conference opponent that is not near the UConn level at this time. This once again helping to progress the woman's game.
UConn being depleted with injuries got to play a lot of bench players not often seen. A positive in my eyes for the goal down the road.

Not sure if you ever played a sport but the injury to our best player season to date was one many a good player would have executed.
Aaliyah dove for the ball and took out two chairs and a bowl of Notchos, then got a pat on the back from a smiling Xavier fan going back on the court. This game meant a lot to both teams and the fact it was on a network speaks for itself.

My two cents and I'll raise you another ( a whole nickle on the line now ;) )

Reaction Score
Geno could learn a bit about rotation of players from CD.
I prefer Geno's method.

It's why he wins as many titles as he has, why he gets to as many final fours as he has, it's why he recruits as well as he does, and it's why partially CD has even said she can't wait for Geno to come back.

The Geno philosophy is proven over time. Others learn from him.

Reaction Score
If Ines keeps getting a decent amount of PT for the rest of this year I think she has a good chance of being a regular rotation player at some point next year.

Geno's penchant for not giving the deep bench much PT has been endlessly debated among Boneyarders with, I think, a majority thinking that certain players should play more in blow-outs, thus giving more rest to the starters and more experience to the bench. And, however, a majority also thinking Geno knows what he is doing. Since Megan twice mentioned CD's substitution patterns as opposed to Geno's during the telecast, it may well be a congenial topic of discussion between them when they next meet. I'll be curious to see what kind of minutes Ayanna, Amari and Ines get once Geno gets back.
I've felt for a long time Meg and Kara extremely overly favor slowing the game down quite a bit (not completely) and play slower basketball. I don’t agree with their philosophy at all. As Kara said in her postgame she wants the team to play inside-out. That's her preference (and imo it's Meg's too), but that's not Geno’s in the manner they want. And I prefer Geno's. So the last 3 years the best offense would have been dumping the ball to our posts rather than playing more as a perimeter team in which we had A/A talent on the perimeter?

IMO if there is a fantasy discussion - it will be one way (as it should be); Geno's way. The same way that has gotten UCONN so may titles and so many final fours and so many super recruits.

I'm not sure if this is considered on-topic for the thread - but I'm referring to this game and then the games that follow and specifically Kara's postgame comments: -->Anyhow for this game- what did you think of Cd's running player’s in and out (which Kara loved and maybe Meg loves too) vs Kara's comments that the team chemistry isn't quite there because they haven’t played as much resulting in higher turnovers? SO how is benching your starters that have been injured so much of the season thus far making them better by sitting them on the bench? How does in-and-out help chemistry?

Overall I didn't mind the in-and-out today after losing Edwards. Too much was lost so whatever was done was fine. I just disagree with Kara's and MEg's philosophy vs Geno's. As for CD, I'd like to see if she would hold to a much larger bench philsophy if she was coaching many games through the NCAA Tourney. The few games she does it- is fine.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Lou was making liberal use of Kleenex while sitting on the bench. She might have the same head cold I have - it’s not debilitating but it makes my nose run constantly and I’m always pretty tired. Lou looked tired. The short balls and front-rim shots could indicate she’s dragging a bit
my wife and I noticed that too. And at the post game presser she sounded congested when talking. Who knows how many of these players are battling these types of things during the winter months.

Reaction Score
A few pro, con, and mixed comments:
Pro:
-Loving seeing Dorka getting physical. Best I have ever seen her moving out the defender and using her body to get position and score. Many rebounds are a result of or her intensity and physical effort to go for the ball.
-Chris Dailey does a lot of coaching and limited yelling. In today's world, this is the best combination for a coach.
-Aubrey is making so much improvement in multiple ways, examples being her outside shots and ability to drive around defenders while UConn in half-court offense. While I expect the top teams will reduce her full court drives, these other offensive efforts will be difficult to defense.
Con:
-How can Cincinnati, a town I love but one with limited things to do, not draw more than about 1200 to this game? Indicative of the lack of support for women's basketball.
-I am losing patience with Patterson. She is a human offensive and defensive foul machine and constantly gets blocked by much shorter players. May be good next year but not sure she should play a significant role in the big games coming up.
-Frustrated at the number of times UConn players drive to the basket and get hacked and nothing is called. Concerned that Aubrey in particular is undercut and driven to the floor. numerous times and refs just look in.
Mixed:
-Bentancourt is becoming much more comfortable, and her defense has improved. Her tendency to only dribble with her right hand and make soft passes for turnovers is troubling. Against the Top 10 teams, both would be killers.
If everybody is healthy by the NCAAs, we should only see seven players after the first round. Audrey and Caroline can both give quality minutes at the four. Foul trouble could change that, but Alijah and Dorka have seldom had issues this year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Lou and Dorka were on the postgame with CD. I was not a fan of the transfer portal but then I think about where this team would be without those two and give thanks for our transfers,
You’d be looking at two walk-ons whose skills and abilities were nowhere near Lou’s or Ines‘.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Appreciate the post. But, are you watching? These guys aren’t holding down any fort. They’re kicking butt.
Everyone: stop feeling sorry for UConn. UConn has good players.
Question: do you think any WNBA GMs are paying attention to Aubrey? If they’re not, they’re asleep at the wheel.
UConn is HARD! Stop expecting UConn games to be Rembrandts. They held Xavier under 20% shooting most of the game. Watch and enjoy a solid top 5 team performing in a season in which anybody in the top 10 could win the NC.
Glad you mentioned Aubrey. She has not made any announcement or suggestions about her plans for next year. Dorka and Lou are gone after this season. It’s very possible that Aubrey declares for the WNBA draft in 4 months (after the season is over). She will be eligible. Her class graduates this spring.

I’m going to be honest and selfish and pray that Aubrey returns next season. She’ll make what should be a very good team even better. Unless I hear otherwise, I’m taking the high road and assume she’s coming back.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
been a really tough winter for me, I had a cold for almost 2 months!
I’ve been a little green around the gills myself the last couple of weeks. Still not right. :confused:

Reaction Score
Kara wants to see more inside-out basketball? She should practice what she preaches. In her case outside-in would be more appropriate. Kara was often referred to as the black hole because once she got the ball down low it never got passed back out. Most boneyarders should recall the Rebecca Lobo tweet where she told readers that her daughters would be attending Kara’s basketball camp where she presumed they would learn how to shoot a hook shot and never pass the ball.
Kara was 6’7” with a hook shot that no one could defend. She didn’t need to pass it out.

Reaction Score
Lou was making liberal use of Kleenex while sitting on the bench. She might have the same head cold I have - it’s not debilitating but it makes my nose run constantly and I’m always pretty tired. Lou looked tired. The short balls and front-rim shots could indicate she’s dragging a bit
possibly that foot thing is still bothering her a little although she didn’t appear to be limping

Reaction Score
I love this team for their grit and determination. Dorka played an outstanding game, as did Aubrey.
The announcers mentioned that CD uses the bench more liberally than Geno. It's born out of necessity now.

I just am so confused by Amari. She's getting quality minutes, but I personally don't see much improvement in her decision making or skill set. She could be such a great post-up player if she set her mind to it, in my opinion. I mentioned in the chat last night she has bad body language and can't seem to shake off her mistakes. I yell at my TV screen for her to stay on her feet when defending and to not put the ball on the floor near the basket. If she went up strong she'd get the free throw line multiple times per game. I just want her to succeed.

Anyway, it was a good win over a team that really looked like it wanted to beat them up vs. play basketball.

Reaction Score
I know there are a lot of Amari fans on the board but when I watch her I see no sense of urgency in her movement and often a lack of commitment to the basketball move she is making. There are moments where she seems to do a move of intention but then she'll go right back to this sort of half in it mode. The halfway in it mode leads to her fouls and turnovers in my opinion. It's like she wants to just coast on her natural talent and not really commit.

Reaction Score
I know there are a lot of Amari fans on the board but when I watch her I see no sense of urgency in her movement and often a lack of commitment to the basketball move she is making. There are moments where she seems to do a move of intention but then she'll go right back to this sort of half in it mode. The halfway in it mode leads to her fouls and turnovers in my opinion. It's like she wants to just coast on her natural talent and not really commit.
With UConn being very thin in its roster of bigs, part of this conversation is whether Geno trusts Patterson. Who else is there but DeBerry? Some games Patterson is an offensive and defensive foul machine, and every game gets her layups blocked by 5'7" girls with minimal athletic abilities. If she can't make layups against low level teams with no height, how will she perform against SC or Stanford? Not an easy decision for Geno to make.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
26 points in the 2nd half but I guess it was to be expected with Ayanna, Inês and Amari getting major PT*. Lou looked like she was running on fumes in the 2nd half but still contributed.
But the score was a Palindrome!!!!!!!! Hooray!!!!

*I am not being critical of the three but there just doesn't seem to be the same flow to the game because of the various lineups CD uses.
There is a Catalan word for the palindromic numbers thing. It is "capicua" and it has an acute accent mark over the u. It literally translates as head and tail and is just a lovely addition to our language which has no such word. :)

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Or maybe she lacks a true understanding and the repetitive motions that come with experience. I sure hope that is the case.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I was happy to see the ladies win, Dorka and Aubrey shine, and the youngsters play while the vets got to sit. I was unhappy with all the darn turnovers, with Nika leading the way with unwise or errant passes. Others with offensive fouls, walks, etc. But my favorite part was the shot Ines made at the buzzer, and most importantly the team's reaction. These ladies love each other, respect each other, and share in each other's joy and pain. It is truly inspiring! :)

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I hope you, Lou , Geno, and the gang all get feeling better. Tough time of the year for illness.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Con:
-How can Cincinnati, a town I love but one with limited things to do, not draw more than about 1200 to this game? Indicative of the lack of support for women's basketball.
Did you watch Xavier play last night? Why would anyone go watch them?

Con:
-I am losing patience with Patterson. She is a human offensive and defensive foul machine and constantly gets blocked by much shorter players. May be good next year but not sure she should play a significant role in the big games coming up.
Hopefully, as we get players back (and don't lose more), she won't be counted on as much.

Reaction Score
I am one of those Amari fans, but you hit the nail on the head. The last few games I have been concentrating my attention solely on her movements and her motor appears at different pace than the rest of the squad, I believe CD pointed that out to her last night, something about "moving her feet". She has the size, and the talent to be very good!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom