Xavier Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Xavier Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Butler game:
  • With Azzi & Caroline still on the mend it’s nice to face Xavier, where UConn was able to use every healthy player on the roster, coming away with a relatively easy victory. Credit to Ayanna, Amari and Ines who contributed meaningful PT to a UConn win for the 2nd game in a row.
  • Once again, the Huskies dominated the paint at both ends of the court. Lots of inside scoring, while going an incredible +29 on the boards with Dorka leading the way with a double-double at the half and 17 rebounds for the game.
  • Aubrey continues to provide tremendous energy, scoring, rebounding and defense for UConn. She impacts the game in so many ways, I’m not sure where the Huskies would be without her.
  • Nika & Lou both played OK tonight, but I think all the minutes they are playing, with Azzi & Caroline out, are taking something of a toll on them.
  • After a stat stuffer 1st half with 4 pts, 5 rb, 3 ast, 1 stl, 2 blk, while also taking out a tray of nachos, Aaliyah joins the walking wounded with what is hopefully a minor ankle injury???
  • Loved the buzzer beater 3 by Ines at the end of the 3rd QTR. :)
  • While UConn’s offensive execution has its ups and downs, the Huskies are playing really tough team defense right now. Tonight, the Huskies held the Musketeers to just 21% shooting for the game.
  • Hopefully, UConn can get a little healthier for the matchup on Sunday against Morrow and her Blue Deamon teammates.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
As messy as the first quarter was, UConn did have 7 offensive rebounds.

After CD’s first solo effort this year, she told the media that she was going to use the bench more in the future. She wasn’t kidding.

Is Ines getting more comfortable or just wishful thinking on my part? I do wish she would move more without the ball.

I can’t wait to watch the replay so I can rewatch the reaction of Ines’ third quarter buzzer beater.

Tonight’s cheap shot of the game: Aubrey getting undercut on her first half driving layup.

I think a lot of Amari’s rough edges would be smoothed out with regular minutes. Decision-making is still her biggest issue.

With a huge lead, in my opinion not playing AE was precautionary. She still had game shoes on.

It is too bad Butler and Xavier were back to back. Those are the type of teams that allow the Huskies to catch their breath.

Get well Geno. As great as CD is, this team needs you.

Reaction Score
Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 6.52.10 PM.png

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
First and foremost, I hope Geno gets well soon. Also, I hope that Aaliyah's injury is minor. Good grief - I'm waiting to hear about the team managers needing to suit up to play - so many ridiculous injuries to these poor kids.

Anyway...to me, this seemed to be a great game to work on stuff. Against an overmatched opponent, a great chance to try new things, work on old things, and give confidence to everyone. For the most part this was true. But, while we have become accustomed to fast starts by UCONN out the gate, this game was NOT that. For either team. Close to 5 minutes in the score was 4-2 with teams a combined 2-19. During that stretch, Nika and Dorka were particularly off - Nika with turnovers (bad passes) and Dorka with butterfingers unable to corral, or hold on to, rebounds. But they found their sea legs and went on to finish Q1 strong.

While Q1 was the Aubrey show, Q2 was the Dorka show. She had a double double about 5 minutes or so into Q2. And how nice seeing Ayanna, Ines, AND Amari in the game early? Anyway, fairly early in Q2, it was clear the rout was officially on.

So... a few player observations:
  • Dorka - 13 points, 12 rebounds at half time. 18/17 for the game. Not many players get a double double midway thru the 2nd quarter. Oh, and 4 blocks at halftime. One thing that was great to see for her (and Aaliyah) was the ability to block without doing a tomahawk chop causing the refs to call a foul. A few of the blocks were even done keeping the ball in play and giving the TO back to UCONN.
  • Aubrey is the do-everything player for the team. While Nika is the engine that runs the team, Aubrey is the energizer bunny who seems to be everywhere on offense AND defense- involved in almost every play.
  • Nika had a solid game at time - 9 assists, 6 rebounds, 5 points, but a slew of unforced turnovers on just bad passes to no one. Loss of focus? Unsure, but 6 turnovers is way to many for a player of her caliber.
  • Lou - the silent assassin. Missed a few shots coming out the gate, but found her rhythm and hit some much needed 3's for UCONN.
Ayanna, Ines, and Amari - some GREAT minutes for them. All 3 did some "bad" things, but also some very good things. The assist from Ines to Amari streaking the floor. The double block by Amari and Ayanna. Ines Q3 buzzer beater. Meg said several times that Chris substitutes much more liberally than Geno. IMHO, this is a weakness for Geno and he needs to be more like Chris with the lower end of the bench.

Overall a great game given how many people were out (coaches and players). But 22 turnovers? No bueno. Anyway... Please get well soon EVERYONE!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dorka was outstanding today and definitely deserved to be player of the game. Play of the game for me was definitely Ines’ 3 at the buzzer!

I think the decision to just rest AE after she tweaked her foot was a good thing. Like Coach CD said, they were already up big going into the 2nd half. Better to just prevent AE from exacerbating her tweaked ankle and let her heal up.

(We have a terrible injury bug, ugh.)

When the game first started I thought to myself, oh no, this is gonna be a grueling rock fight of a game. But then the Huskies came alive and quickly got things under control. The big lead going into halftime was great to see. :)

Not much more from me to comment on … there’s still some room for improvement (in some players/areas more than others) but right now I’m just satisfied the road trip is done and UConn came away with another W tonight.

Moving on to the next game. :)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
  • Nika & Lou both played OK tonight, but I think all the minutes they are playing, with Azzi & Caroline out, are taking something of a toll on them.
Lou was making liberal use of Kleenex while sitting on the bench. She might have the same head cold I have - it’s not debilitating but it makes my nose run constantly and I’m always pretty tired. Lou looked tired. The short balls and front-rim shots could indicate she’s dragging a bit

Reaction Score
Great outcome. I have to take some responsibility for the slow start in the First Quarter.... You see, I was completely negligent in my Pre-game preparations. I did not have my Blue UCONN Shirt on... and I did not have my Mike's Mango. I corrected both oversights during the first timeout and order was restored in the UCONN universe.

Thank you Huskies for overcoming my poor preparations.

GO HUSKIES!!

Reaction Score
  • With Azzi & Caroline still on the mend it’s nice to face Xavier, where UConn was able to use every healthy player on the roster, coming away with a relatively easy victory. Credit to Ayanna, Amari and Ines who contributed meaningful PT to a UConn win for the 2nd game in a row.
  • Once again, the Huskies dominated the paint at both ends of the court. Lots of inside scoring, while going an incredible +29 on the boards with Dorka leading the way with a double-double at the half and 17 rebounds for the game.
  • Aubrey continues to provide tremendous energy, scoring, rebounding and defense for UConn. She impacts the game in so many ways, I’m not sure where the Huskies would be without her.
  • After a stat stuffer 1st half with 4 pts, 5 rb, 3 ast, 1 stl, 2 blk, while also taking out a tray of nachos, Aaliyah joins the walking wounded with what is hopefully a minor ankle injury???
  • Loved the buzzer beater 3 by Ines at the end of the 3rd QTR. :)
  • While UConn’s offensive execution has its ups and downs, the Huskies are playing really tough team defense right now. Tonight, the Huskies held the Musketeers to just 21% shooting for the game.
  • Hopefully, UConn can get a little healthier for the matchup on Sunday against Morrow and her Blue Deamon teammates.
Nice assessment as usual, Old Dude, a little commentary on CD's coaching: I much prefer her substitution patterns and willingness to give minutes to bench players, and not just during "garbage time". This gives experience and develops trust...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lou was making liberal use of Kleenex while sitting on the bench. She might have the same head cold I have - it’s not debilitating but it makes my nose run constantly and I’m always pretty tired. Lou looked tired. The short balls and front-rim shots could indicate she’s dragging a bit
Hopefully she hasn't caught whatever Geno has.......

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
26 points in the 2nd half but I guess it was to be expected with Ayanna, Inês and Amari getting major PT*. Lou looked like she was running on fumes in the 2nd half but still contributed.
But the score was a Palindrome!!!!!!!! Hooray!!!!

*I am not being critical of the three but there just doesn't seem to be the same flow to the game because of the various lineups CD uses.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My allergies are brutal right now. It is too warm in the northeast to shut down the mold spores and fungus.
Allergies and a mild cold feel the same to me

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I didn't get the palindrome victory prediction to come through for me for the Butler game but one game later...bingo! Palindrome victory 73 to 37. I won't be scoring too many points this game for the prognosticators thread but...missing predicting a palindrome victory by one game is a victory of sorts... lol :)

~Dorka was a beast in this game.
~Aubrey is really a do it all type of player...I love watching her play....how about 10-11 from the line.
~Nika missed her double digit assist stat by one...
~Hopefully, AE's injury is minor and will not aversely effect her future play.
~As far as the bench is concerned Ines seems to have the most promise.
~I think we get both Geno, Caroline and Azzi back for the DePaul game.
~Lou knocked down three 3s tonight.
~I can't believe we got 22 turnovers against Xavier tonight...we really have to do something about all those turnovers.

Reaction Score
One thing that was great to see for her (and Aaliyah) was the ability to block without doing a tomahawk chop causing the refs to call a foul. A few of the blocks were even done keeping the ball in play and giving the TO back to UCONN.
This is a bugaboo of mine, the chop or swat blocks that tempt the refs to blow that whistle. For Dorka and Amari, they're each tall enough and have long enough arms not to need to do that. The goal doesn't have to be to smash the ball down like it's a volleyball. Just nudging it or poking it up is better, requires no swatting (or leaving their feet in many cases) and makes it easier to recover the ball. This is something Brink and Boston understand well.

Full disclosure: this complaint brought to you by a short guy who may not know what he's talking about.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou's shot was off a little tonight--had one blocked, missed a tough layup, but she had 3 treys and is at a stellar .494 from the arc for the season. She was in double-figures, as always.

Reaction Score
As messy as the first quarter was, UConn did have 7 offensive rebounds.

After CD’s first solo effort this year, she told the media that she was going to use the bench more in the future. She wasn’t kidding.

Is Ines getting more comfortable or just wishful thinking on my part? I do wish she would move more without the ball.

I can’t wait to watch the replay so I can rewatch the reaction of Ines’ third quarter buzzer beater.

Tonight’s cheap shot of the game: Aubrey getting undercut on her first half driving layup.

I think a lot of Amari’s rough edges would be smoothed out with regular minutes. Decision-making is still her biggest issue.

With a huge lead, in my opinion not playing AE was precautionary. She still had game shoes on.

It is too bad Butler and Xavier were back to back. Those are the type of teams that allow the Huskies to catch their breath.

Get well Geno. As great as CD is, this team needs you.
I now know what kept Edwards out after the 1st quarter. That being said, the stat of the game is that the bench of Bettencourt, Patterson, and DeBerry out scored Muhl & Edwards 12 - 9 with Ines getting 7 with a couple of baskets. Been hoping she would take and make a shot or two. Maybe Azzi back for Sunday, who knows about Caroline, and sure Edwards will be a go. Closer, maybe Geno too!

Reaction Score
I think a lot of the sloppiness and inconsistent play would go away if they could just get a consistent lineup on the floor. It doesn't seem like that is ever going to happen this season. The younglings got some decent minutes and for the most part they were productive with their time. Sure there were freshman moments, but these opportunities will help them get over those.

Some of those really head shaking turnovers can be attributed to the players not quite being on the same page. You think the person you are passing to is going right and they go left. It happens.

Reaction Score
Garbage time in basketball is when the walk-ons and players that never get in games come in and play. It usually lasts about 2-3 minutes.
I hate to be negative, but I would classify that game as 40 minutes of garbage time. That opponent had to be one of the worst teams I have ever seen.
The first 5 minutes when both teams were 2-19 shooting and we had 5 turnovers, was just awful basketball. No positives can be taken from that game.
And we had another injury to our best player season to date.
Painful to watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom