Xavier Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Xavier Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I am as critical as anyone. A loss is a loss, but you have to take positives out of this game. At any point we could have packed it in and dealt with getting blown out at home. We didn’t. We cut a 17 point deficit to 1 point, many times and should have tied it but Andre tried to throw an alley oop to Sanogo of all people.
Positives:Hawkins asserted himself and figured out he is HIM and Newton played the way we need him to play every game. Hurley made the in game adjustments that enabled us to get back into the game and a chance to win. We had a lot of players that had “off nights”, but that was mainly due to Xavier’s defense. They’re a very good team and executed better than we did. Yes I’m disappointed in the loss, but I’m encouraged by the grit, fortitude and guts UConn demonstrated in the second half.

Reaction Score
The 1-3-1 helped us get back into the game. It cause a lot of disruption and turnovers.
They should press more. We have depth. Use it.

Pressing created easier scoring opportunities. Press all game.

Liked moving Sanogo away from the basket more. Created driving lanes for Newton and Hawkins. Sanogo passes better from the high post than the under the basket.

Reaction Score
The tournament is all that matters. It’s UConn. A first round loss is a failure of a season. Especially when it’s an upset.

We didn’t beat anyone worth bragging about either outside of Nova.
Auburn. There were more but I don’t have the time or energy to search.

Also I agree the tournament is the ultimate prize.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
That didn't matter at the end. Our inability to play well when the game is one the line mattered.

How many times do we have to cut the lead to one only to freeze up?
Both can be right

Reaction Score
We will never win big with AJ. His offensive disaster giving them a 9-0 lead and his goaltending.

There are many bad plays every game that do not show up in the stats. His constant big massive jumps to try and block 3 point shooters give up several good looks a game. The shooters know he’s going to do it and step aside and drain the shot 2-3 times a game. Then you have the 4 times a game he gets blown by and then tries the block from behind.

He is constantly trying for highlight reel plays and in turn costs us several points a game.

He is just not a winning player or a player you win with. There are just guys like that..

Reaction Score
Press
1-3-1
2-3
1-2-2

Much better job defending the rim i nthe second half.

We didn't use a slow post-up.

Initiated more through Newton and the guards.

Did you even watch the game? Hurley made multiple adjustments in the second half to good effect. Overcame a 17 point deficit.

You don't know basketball if you didn't see adjustments.
But why couldn’t he do that 15 min sooner? Too little too late. I really wonder if he calls someone for advice during halftime. It took him all year to play zone more than 2 possessions.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
He has not really had a player at UConn that can create their own shot. That really helps in a close game. Hopefully next year Castle can be that guy.
Hawkins just needs to take the initiative and make sure he shoots it 20 time a game the rest of the way. He obviously has it in him to take over the game, but at times it feels that us force feeding the ball to Sanogo puts him on ice and takes him out of the flow.

Reaction Score
We will never win big with AJ. His offensive disaster giving them a 9-0 lead and his goaltending.

There are many bad plays every game that do not show up in the stats. His constant big massive jumps to try and block 3 point shooters give up several good looks a game. The shooters know he’s going to do it and step aside and drain the shot 2-3 times a game. Then you have the 4 times a game he gets blown by and then tries the block from behind.

He is constantly trying for highlight reel plays and in turn costs us several points a game.

He is just not a winning player or a player you win with. There are just guys like that..
They need to bring him off the bench. They can win that way

Reaction Score
I don’t believe the deficit was too much to overcome, if you made it a possession game with lots of time left then it wasn’t too much. We could never get a lead because we couldn’t get any stops.

Reaction Score
Better get us now, cause we’re coming
Well they did getcus.....only because we were
At what point, does Hurley start getting blame? He’s been here for 5 years and coaching much longer than that
The blame won't happen as long he keeps getting us into the NCAA tourney and lands top flight recruits.
I am as critical as anyone. A loss is a loss, but you have to take positives out of this game. At any point we could have packed it in and dealt with getting blown out at home. We didn’t. We cut a 17 point deficit to 1 point, many times and should have tied it but Andre tried to throw an alley oop to Sanogo of all people.
Positives:Hawkins asserted himself and figured out he is HIM and Newton played the way we need him to play every game. Hurley made the in game adjustments that enabled us to get back into the game and a chance to win. We had a lot of players that had “off nights”, but that was mainly due to Xavier’s defense. They’re a very good team and executed better than we did. Yes I’m disappointed in the loss, but I’m encouraged by the grit, fortitude and guts UConn demonstrated in the second half.
It sucks to lose this one...but then again the Kemba championship teams in 2011 slumped badly and got blown out a few times....and actually were on the bubble that year falling to 21-9.

Than the magic started and Kemba carried Uconn to win 5 games in 5 days...winning 6 rounds to ncaa title...32-9 champions.

Reaction Score
There was alot to like…..about the second half. Hurley finally made some terrific defensive adjustments, which spearheaded a good comeback against a very good team.

That being said…….he needs to do what’s best for this team. Jackson needs to come off the bench. They played some of their best games of the season when he was. Start Alleyne and maybe, eventually, Johnson.

High energy jackson off the bench could give them a spark, and prevent some of these awful starts to games. It’s too bad he’s hasn’t learned to shoot in 3 years, but since he hasn’t, he has to be used differently

To be honest Jackson should forget about shooting 3's and work on developing a floater or a hook shot. He should be able to get 8 - 10 PPG around the basket on his athletic ability alone.

Reaction Score
He improves the team every year. And your opinion is that he should be fired? Interesting take.
Agreed. This fan base is so spoiled. We are getting better every year, recruiting keeps getting better year after year. We got a taste during November / December but we still have some adjustments to make. Maybe we get it back in March and make some noise. Maybe not. But regardless, we are on the right path.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom