Xavier Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Xavier Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
So then the players are losers? Is that your contention?
Losers? No, they’ve been pretty successful. As has Hurley at UConn. My contention is that it’s just not that black and white.

1. Xavier is damn good. That matters
2. Our players don’t really have the experience or abilities to make big plays down the stretch. The ability I’m most speaking on is the ability to take your man off the dribble and put pressure on the rim/paint.(Part of that is on Hurleys roster construction)
3. Hurley adjust too slow sometimes
4. Our team is full of streaky shooters. Who all seem to go cold at once.

There’s more. But there is no one reason. When someone claims after every loss it was because of coaching it’s lazy. Because I could say coaching got us back in the game.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yeah. Miller was a great coach at Arizona. Tons of talent and he went nowhere with it.
Well, he went somewhere.

To Xavier.

Reaction Score
Game was over before they started to play. Hawkins was horrible until 10 mins left. He runs hot and cold. Mostly cold with poor shot selection. Did you not notice us being down 15-18 point before half time?
The game was very much not over. It was a 1 point game with 5 minutes left.

Reaction Score
That didn't matter at the end. Our inability to play well when the game is one the line mattered.

How many times do we have to cut the lead to one only to freeze up?
It does matter what happened at the start. We got into a 11 point hole and should not have. If we just had a 5 or 6 point deficit at the start we would not have been in a losing position in the end. Points are cumulative a point at two minutes in counts just as much with two minutes to go. IMHO

Reaction Score
Yes, agreed but there are two halves and the first half the defense that was out there was horrendous. The kid is too big and too talented to be getting those minutes
Love DC but he did not play well tonight.

Reaction Score
one year not even one year and Sean Miller already runs this conference, I had them winning big east before season cause I saw it at Arizona. He makes a huge impact, people saying he did nothing at Arizona. 2 elite 8 loses to Wisconsin who beat a 38-1 Kentucky team, idk y people are acting like he lost to a scrub. Yea in 2017 is his only blemish as they lost to a Xavier team, but Chris Mack worked under him and knew his tendencies.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
I love this team. Just about every player on it. I really do.

But right now we suck. All across the board.

We only get output from our best player (yes Hawk, I did vote for you) half of every game. Is this on Danny or Hawk. I don’t know, but my gut says 50/50. Hawk has all the tools to be the best player and leading scorer in the BE.

3/4 of our transfers are net negatives every game.

Ajax is a year away. He could be a NBA if he just did this next year. Running out of next years. I almost turned off the TV when I saw him take our first two shots from 3 to start the game. I don’t know how but DH has to figure out how to get the best out of his limitations and strengths. Hasn’t done that yet.

I love this team, and legit think we have the players and coach to make it to the FF. Maybe a good time to see where the odds are. Think the same time in 2011. Or 2014. But right now we are mediocre at best.

Reaction Score
As a big time critic of the officiating, they really helped us out tonight. So my criticism was warranted.

Having said that, making the FT's would have helped. Xavier is a very good team playing well. We are a very good team playing poorly.

Reaction Score
Why does there always have to be a Seth Greenberg, technical, coachspeak breakdown of why they aren't performing?. Sometimes it's bad shooting. It was pretty much bad shooting that got us in that H1 hole

It's not as complex a game if you can't shoot

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The game was very much not over. It was a 1 point game with 5 minutes left.

I mean , you are right when you answer that post, but be honest did you ever feel we would win that game? Put the math book down for a second and give me a hoops watcher answer.

Reaction Score
jackson needs a new shot technique, I’ve been saying this almost 3 years now. why he spends entire summers trying to perfect the push shot is a head scratcher. He is an offensive liability.
they should have broke that down and built it back up as soon as he got onto campus.

Reaction Score
I mean , you are right when you answer that post, but be honest did you ever feel we would win that game? Put the math book down for a second and give me a hoops watcher answer.
Yes. We had the "momentum." We had the energized home crowd. Refs seemed to be okay with us winning. We were making shots and were shooting 2 the rest of the way. Didn't make the plays.

Reaction Score
Please show your work that led you to this conclusion.
even if they did shoot it better (think it was about the same) we forced 4 times more turnovers in the 2nd half vs the first making the 2nd half defense much better. Should be pressing more going forward.

Reaction Score
Yes. We had the "momentum." We had the energized home crowd. Refs seemed to be okay with us winning. We were making shots and were shooting 2 the rest of the way. Didn't make the plays.
we never led at any point in the game.

Reaction Score
There’s a crowd here that attributes everything that happens in the game to “coaching”. They aren’t right or wrong I just don’t think others like myself see the game the same way. I’ve come to the conclusion that we’ll never agree. We do this same “coaching” dance after every loss.
Maybe you’re right that we shouldn’t always blame the coaching. But ask yourself this: could you imagine a team coached by Calhoun (with all his faults) coming out this flat, at home, against the team that started this slide?

Reaction Score
Okay and how did that go last year? Who is their best player?
Their best player is a transfer portal guard who makes them all better. And the 4 remaining players are more experienced.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
one year not even one year and Sean Miller already runs this conference, I had them winning big east before season cause I saw it at Arizona. He makes a huge impact, people saying he did nothing at Arizona. 2 elite 8 loses to Wisconsin who beat a 38-1 Kentucky team, idk y people are acting like he lost to a scrub. Yea in 2017 is his only blemish as they lost to a Xavier team, but Chris Mack worked under him and knew his tendencies.
He always underperforms when it matters. Keep watching.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
And you believed we would make the plays? After a decent sample size of not this year in any pressure situation?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom