Xavier Post Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Xavier Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
He always underperforms when it matters. Keep watching.
he underperforms because expectations are through the roof. Ask any arz fan what they were before Sean Miller, Kevin O'neill, enough said. Only time USC in my lifetime won at Arz and we blew them out at Mckale. Tommy Lloyd who is viewed as a top 5 hc now, lost to HOUSTON. An AAC team.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
To be honest Jackson should forget about shooting 3's and work on developing a floater or a hook shot. He should be able to get 8 - 10 PPG around the basket on his athletic ability alone.
That is not realistic in season. Whoever coached him when he was in high school did him a disservice. Just let him over athlete the competition. He has trouble using the bb effectively on short shots or put backs. He seems like a great kid but he did not get developed properly when he was younger. He is now a project. If he stays healthy keeps his hops he could be on a nba roster after 2 or 3 years in the g league. He really has no offensive skill sets other than getting his head to the rim and dunking.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
he underperforms because expectations are through the roof. Ask any arz fan what they were before Sean Miller, Kevin O'neill, enough said. Only time USC in my lifetime won at Arz and we blew them out at Mckale. Tommy Lloyd who is viewed as a top 5 hc now, lost to HOUSTON. An AAC team.

Yeah, I cant imagine why expectations were through the roof, could it be having the Final Four be IN ARIZONA and him having bags of cash thrown at NBA guys to come to the roster who he STILL COULDNT WIN WITH?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
And you believed we would make the plays? After a decent sample size of not this year in any pressure situation?
Maybe one could've predicted the AJ/Sanogo mishap, but doubtful one was thinking a goaltend or a Newton walk right after that. I thought they'd find a way to at least OT.

Then again, my 2023 resolution was to be less a cranky old cynic. I suppose like most resolutions, that will wear off with another game or two like this.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
What happened to Joey c’s shot. Wide open three feet set and he did not even hit the rim.

Reaction Score
If it can happen to us, it can happen for us.
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Clingan got 8 minutes
In general Clingan should get more minutes per game. But in this game he sucked. When Sanogo and Hawkins were subbed out around the 10 minute mark after UConn cut the lead to 1, Xavier went on a 10-0 run with Clingan and the other subs

Reaction Score
8 too many he was horrible tonight and he Is one for my favorite players!
I love him too but not sure he deserved more time tonight. It was his worst game of the year

Reaction Score
Large majority of board starting to finally get on board with something ain’t quite right….and it doesn’t seem to be getting quite right.

Others still insisting that moral victories are best.

Reaction Score
A few (some probably obvious) observations:

Jackson killed us in the opening minutes. Should have been yanked after the 2nd three point attempt. Not for a long time, but just a quick "don't do that anymore" for a couple minutes.

Hated the subbing of all 3 of Newton, hawk, and sanogo after they cut it to 1 the first time. Took out the 3 guys who brought you back and were still hot. I understand they need rest, but maybe sub them out gradually over a few minutes to keep some momentum going.

Clingan set up for failure defensively with that weird 2-1-2 zone with him out by himself above the free throw line. He could not protect the rim from that position early enough, led to a late contest and an and1.

That timeout that stopped hawk from cutting it to 1 again with 20 seconds left. Brutal.

Reaction Score
I like the fact that we showed some heart, newton in particular, how I’m looking at it is besides St.John’s we been in these games and have given all of them away per say, I think our shooting outside of Hawkins and Karaban can pick up again, 1-14 from 3 at a certain point in a home game is crazy

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm a hopeless romantic. A fake by the numbers cynic. In the end, I revert to thinking we'll buck the trend...eventually. Charlie Brown and the football.

Plus it's my birthday. Thought maybe they'd win one for the newly actuarily challenged.
Happy bday! I wish they did.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
If you look at stats. UConn out rebounded and had less turnovers than Xavier. It seems like UConn has better individual- high skilled players than most of their competitors but they don't play like a cohesive team. On two occasions late in second half they had numbers for easy hoop but they failed to score.
there are more than 300 teams in mbb.
try watching some other than the 11 in the league.

then watch as some of those players get drafted.

Reaction Score
jackson needs a new shot technique, I’ve been saying this almost 3 years now. why he spends entire summers trying to perfect the push shot is a head scratcher. He is an offensive liability.
I stated it last year with a few others here. He needs a full tear down and start over with new shooting mechanics. He didn’t do that. He is better with the shooting but it is still not Very good

Reaction Score
Maybe you’re right that we shouldn’t always blame the coaching. But ask yourself this: could you imagine a team coached by Calhoun (with all his faults) coming out this flat, at home, against the team that started this slide?
Yes. But I think we should end this practice of comparing Hurley or anyone else who ever coaches this team to Calhoun

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Losers? No, they’ve been pretty successful. As has Hurley at UConn. My contention is that it’s just not that black and white.

1. Xavier is damn good. That matters
2. Our players don’t really have the experience or abilities to make big plays down the stretch. The ability I’m most speaking on is the ability to take your man off the dribble and put pressure on the rim/paint.(Part of that is on Hurleys roster construction)
3. Hurley adjust too slow sometimes
4. Our team is full of streaky shooters. Who all seem to go cold at once.

There’s more. But there is no one reason. When someone claims after every loss it was because of coaching it’s lazy. Because I could say coaching got us back in the game.
i saw that danny 'close game' stat here the other day.
if im doing it correctly, it's now 9-23.

Reaction Score
Sanogo should be thanking Dan Hurley on his knees for being the scapegoat. He’s dodging a lot a criticism and responsibility. He’s been brutal
I thought Sanogo did a lot better job passing today to his credit. I think he's adjusting to getting less looks on offense. Only 7 shots today and 4 assists.

I've been more concerned with Andre, who has been really disappointing to me for basically this whole month. Tonight, even if you ignore his shooting, he just didn't impact the game enough. Kunkel was a bigger factor defensively tonight than Andre. I love the guy but we need more from him, especially since he's a team captain.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom