Xavier Post Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Xavier Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
100% disagree. We outplayed them the whole second half other than their 10-0 run after we cut it to 1. We gave away 4 points at the line during that run.
If you look at stats. UConn out rebounded and had less turnovers than Xavier. It seems like UConn has better individual- high skilled players than most of their competitors but they don't play like a cohesive team. On two occasions late in second half they had numbers for easy hoop but they failed to score.

Reaction Score
That was ridiculous and intentional. Gave them a huge rest when they were down to 6 players.
And to add to that, we had some phantom calls against us - the one on Newton driving to the hoop when 1 point game???? Whhaaaattt… they said elbow out - um it wasn’t even close. And other touch fouls at key times. Horrible officiating at home again, it really is head scratching.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Hawkins is a freaking stud, love the way Newton played. Our issue is Sanogo has been an absolute non factor on either end in conference play. The AJax first 5 minutes cooked us. Great response, terrible start.
Newton. Nope.

Reaction Score
No I have been saying this for years now. Everyone always hides behind the roster, and my point is good coaches can change that quickly a la Miller.
Yeah. Miller was a great coach at Arizona. Tons of talent and he went nowhere with it.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Auburn. There were more but I don’t have the time or energy to search.

Also I agree the tournament is the ultimate prize.
Auburn was good. They were missing Jabari for it though.

In conference it was pretty much beat the scrubs and lose to the top guys.

August_West

Reaction Score
Hurley ran a perfect play against Seton Hall and Karaban got a wide open three. Nobody near him. He misses.

We cut it to one and then have two successive TOs. The moment has been too big for them.
That was it. Win or lose, it was that. Not winning team plays.

Reaction Score
Agreed. This fan base is so spoiled. We are getting better every year, recruiting keeps getting better year after year. We got a taste during November/ December but we still have some adjustments to make. Maybe we get it back in March and make some noise. Maybe not. But regardless, we are on the right path.
The second half was the most encouraging half of coaching from Hurley….maybe in his entire tenure at uconn.
Other than the ill-timed time out, he really coached his ass off and made a difference.
There is hope he can keep it up.

Reaction Score

No they weren’t. It’s amazing how some of you have the most negative recollection of everything. To the point you make up stuff to not give Hurley credit. It’s not necessary, he’s failed enough times to have something legit to criticize

Reaction Score

Jabari played. It was Allen Flanigan that was out. He wasn't that good when he came back from injury anyways.

August_West

Reaction Score
There’s a crowd here that attributes everything that happens in the game to “coaching”. They aren’t right or wrong I just don’t think others like myself see the game the same way. I’ve come to the conclusion that we’ll never agree. We do this same “coaching” dance after every loss.
So then the players are losers? Is that your contention?

Reaction Score
8 too many he was horrible tonight and he Is one for my favorite players!
This what happens when we have guards that can't do anything. Which is a reoccurring theme lately. Our highest percentage guys get the least shots for guards who can't make a bucket, but whatever....

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Jabari played. It was Allen Flanigan that was out. He wasn't that good when he came back from injury anyways.
Ahhh sorry about that. Never mind then. I remember somebody being out.

Let’s hope this isn’t like last year though with impressive non conference wins to then falter in conference and flame out in the tourney. These past 2 games are good building blocks.

Reaction Score
I'm happy to see more even tempered rational posts. Not just crying. I'm excited for next game

Reaction Score
I was under the basket courtside an hour prior to game and 2 things jumped at me immediately. Xavier shoot around was loud and full of energy with lots of made shots and high fives. Very loose and lots of smiles. Uconn looked asleep, quite and very little interaction between players. Take that for what it's worth. 2nd, Claude, hunter and Jones are NBA big and athletic. Only Jackson looked as big and athletic. Newton, karaban and Hawkins looked like string beans next to them. Just my observations.

Reaction Score
Had X rattled with the comeback. With JC coaching we would have blew by them. Seton Hall beat us coming back from down 17, no excuse for not finishing the job. End game fundamentals - rebounding, making foul shots, avoiding turnovers, don’t goal-tend, etc. Without Hawkins catching fire it would have been a blowout.
Yes, good effort coming back. Yes, X is very good, but they lost to DePaul, so are beatable.
When the head coach makes $2.9M, expectations are very high. He hasn’t proven to be a winner in big games or March tournaments.
Miller getting his team an extra TO with the Freemantle foul count was superb gamesmanship on his part; Hurley was out coached again.
All that being said, we have good kids who play hard. Just not smart in crunch time. Success for the season would be making the BET final and Sweet 16. Below that would be a disappointment giving the collective talent level of the players.

Reaction Score
8 too many he was horrible tonight and he Is one for my favorite players!
Clingan’s has had a bad stretch of games.

With this team as soon as a player plays great a few games in a row, and we anoint them, they go into a multi game funk. Every time.

Reaction Score
@AntG168 I agree with you 100% to not blame it all Hurley. That was some really poor shooting in the 1st half

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom