WNBA draft, April 17 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

WNBA draft, April 17

Reaction Score
Seattle drafted Haley Gorecki at #31. Looks like they were going with shooters with their picks.
With Ezi coming to Seattle for the upcoming season (assuming that the season takes place), the Storm roster will have 12 players and no room for either Joyner or Gorecki unless a roster subtraction is made. The Storm will retain the rights to their #1 pick this season and the plan is for her to join the team in 2021.

Like for some other WBNA teams, 2020 is not the best season for someone to be drafted by the Storm.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No one from Stanford?
With Carrington redshirting this season and Wilson returning for a 5th year, Fingall was the only Stanford senior who really has a chance to play professionally. Brewer played sparingly for Stanford during her four seasons.

Williams may be a first round selection in 2021.

Reaction Score
You remember all that talk you had about her before the season? Now look
Pivec had another very solid season in '19-'20, averaging 14.8 points, 9.3 boards (second in the PAC-12), and 4.5 assists per game. ESPN had a graphic tonight on Pivec that she was the only female D1 player to average at least 14/9/4 in '19-'20. She shot 50% from the field. She had been projected anywhere from #10 to #23 during the past week. So, being picked at #25 had to be a bit disappointing for her. At 5'10", she will have to show an ability to stretch defenses at the next level by consistently making threes. She shot 42% from beyond the arc as a junior and 36% from distance this past season, but on only about two attempts per game. Her ability to drive, pass, defend, and to rebound were her strengths.
I really like her motor. I hope that she can find a home in Atlanta to show that a third round pick has a chance to survive in the WNBA. If it can be done, Pivec will have a chance to do so.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Germany with two second round picks lost to Colombia at U19 last year:D
They don't have a lot of talent depth on their teams so they move up a lot of their better younger players. For example the # 22 pick Fiebich is only 20. Most other national teams do not follow the USA's example of age groupings. They are more apt to kick up a player if she has talent. It's not that unusual to see 15 and 16 year olds playing on the U19 team as well.

Reaction Score
Pivec had another very solid season in '19-'20, averaging 14.8 points, 9.3 boards (second in the PAC-12), and 4.5 assists per game. ESPN had a graphic tonight on Pivec that she was the only female D1 player to average at least 14/9/4 in '19-'20. She shot 50% from the field. She had been projected anywhere from #10 to #23 during the past week. So, being picked at #25 had to be a bit disappointing for her. At 5'10", she will have to show an ability to stretch defenses at the next level by consistently making threes. She shot 42% from beyond the arc as a junior and 36% from distance this past season, but on only about two attempts per game. Her ability to drive, pass, defend, and to rebound were her strengths.
I really like her motor. I hope that she can find a home in Atlanta to show that a third-round pick has a chance to survive in the WNBA. If it can be done, Pivec will have a chance to do so.
Because she had a really good season last year, she was projected in some early mock drafts to go as high as the middle of the first round. She regressed this season, perhaps not in some stats, but her shooting percentages went down. People should watch Geno's breakdown of Saballys game to get more insight as to what other than pure stats coaches look for to evaluate a player's game. As he said, a lot of players know what to do- the question is not what but knowing when. She was also hurt in not having a chance to show what she could do in the Playoffs because she again started to play really well in her last few games- and I am not referring to stats rather to choices made.

Reaction Score
Back when Sabrina was a star guard at Miramonte HS in Orinda, CA I used to go to many of her high school games. I wanted to see who was this player who paid her own way as a sophomore to USA basketball tryouts and made the team. It was pretty obvious she was a great high school player but I certainly wasn't astute enough to think I was watching a future two time Player of the Year and a future number one pick in the WNBA. Whenever I saw her play she was clearly the best player on the court except once- that was at the state high school championships in Sacramento when Odom scored over 30 points, dominated the game and enabled her team to win the state title. These two players had very different trajectories in college but it's nice to see that both players were drafted by the Liberty and, hopefully, Odom can be the player she once was in high school and can make the Liberty roster.

Reaction Score
Typically how many people out of the 36 selected actually make a WNBA roster? Less than half? If that's the case why bother having 3 rounds. The NBA drafts only have 2 rounds.

Since the WNBA went to 36 picks starting 2010 Draft an average of 22.3 players selected played during that upcoming season.

On average 3 players selected in the Third Round played minutes.

1587197998637.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1587198962757.png

Third Round + Undrafted Players in WNBA Last Season (sorted descending by Minutes Played)
Tierra Ruffin-Pratt (LAS) [Undrafted/2013] GP-34 MP-856
Erica Wheeler (IND) [Undrafted/2013] GP-34 MP-850 (All-Star MVP)
Kayla Thornton (DAL) [Undrafted/2014] GP-27 MP-822
Sami Whitcomb (SEA) [Undrafted/2010] GP-33 MP-674
Yvonne Turner (PHO) [Undrafted/2010] GP-29 MP-595
Stephanie Talbot (MIN) [#33/2014] GP-33 MP-561
Brooke McCarty-Williams (DAL) [Undrafted/2018] GP-34 MP-447
Theresa Plaisance (TOT) [#27/2014] GP-31 MP-442
Rebecca Allen (NYL) [Undrafted/2014] GP-24 MP-412
Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe (NYL) [Undrafted/2013] GP-28 MP-367
Marine Johannes (NYL) [Undrafted/2017] GP-19 MP-345
Temi Fagbenle (MIN) [#35/2016] GP-18 MP-271
Blake Dietrick (SEA) [Undrafted/2015] GP-17 MP-106
Asia Taylor (TOT) [#36/2014] GP-12 MP-96
Karlie Samuelson (TOT) [Undrafted/2017] GP-7 MP-84
Jamierra Faulkner (CHI) [#34/2014] GP-13 MP-72
Kim Mestdagh (WAS) [Undrafted/2012] GP-15 MP-71
Paris Kea (IND) [#25/2019] GP-11 MP-60
Avery Warley-Talbert (NYL) [Undrafted/2012] GP-3 MP-35
Shao Ting (MIN) [Undrafted/2011] GP-5 MP-27
Haley Peters (ATL) [Undrafted/2014] GP-4 MP-26
Arica Carter (PHO) [#32/2019] GP-6 MP-24
Victoria Macaulay (CHI) [Undrafted/2013] GP-5 MP-22
Kenisha Bell (MIN) [#30/2019] GP-3 MP-11

Reaction Score
Because she had a really good season last year, she was projected in some early mock drafts to go as high as the middle of the first round. She regressed this season, perhaps not in some stats, but her shooting percentages went down. People should watch Geno's breakdown of Saballys game to get more insight as to what other than pure stats coaches look for to evaluate a player's game. As he said, a lot of players know what to do- the question is not what but knowing when. She was also hurt in not having a chance to show what she could do in the Playoffs because she again started to play really well in her last few games- and I am not referring to stats rather to choices made.
Pivec actually shot very well for a guard again from the field this season with a field goal percentage above 50%, mostly on mid-range jumpers and drives into the paint. I believe that she was 5th in the PAC-12 in field goal percentage. She shot 36% from distance, but only took a total of 62 attempts in her 32 games. In '18-'19, Pivec shot nearly 53% from the field and 42% from distance. She typically has not taken a lot of three-pointers, averaging less than two attempts from beyond the arc in '19-'20.

I agree that the cancellation of the NCAA tourney didn't help her draft prospects, but her unusual stat line of 14.8/9.3/4.5 and proven ability to pull out wins for her team with clutch shots over the past two seasons made her delayed selection yesterday a bit of a surprise to me. Not one mock draft had her going lower than 23 and two mock drafts released during the past week had her going as high as 10 and 11.

Mompremier falling to 20, Gillespie to 32, and Cooper to 18 appeared to be the other surprising drops of the draft.

Reaction Score
Since the WNBA went to 36 picks starting 2010 Draft an average of 22.3 players selected played during that upcoming season.

On average 3 players selected in the Third Round played minutes.

View attachment 53270

Thanks for the info. The numbers and in the post below are certainly higher than I thought.

Reaction Score
Intrigued that Princeton's Bella Alarie was drafted so high. Saw her in Princeton's first round NCAA losses and looked average against top talent. Good size, nice inside moves but not especially quick or strong and mostly played against mid major talent. I would expect a high draft choice to compete to start and she appears to be a multi year project.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think Megan is feeling pretty good about her decision to go early. That's one happy looking young lady.

She strikes me as a big city girl and going to UConn proves how ambitious she is. She will work hard to make the most of this opportunity

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Coach / GM Reeve's post draft interview

Thoughts on Crystal

1) Good Defender (Interesting since a lot of people view her as a defensive liability due to her size)
2) Can shoot the 3
3) Can run am offense
4) UConn players are basically plug and play
5) Good intel provided by Naphessa and a good comfort level with Pheesa
6) Good value as a #16 pick

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I would bet that Ty harris would gladly change draft position with CD. Imagine going to play point guard on a tem with Bria, DT and Skylar Compared to Going to Minny which is looking for a point to run their show. In Crystal's spot I would gladly change a first round slot for the chance to go to the Lynx. Cheryl Reeve is a genius at working the draft. I may have to invest in some Lynx gear

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Coach / GM Reeve's post draft interview

Thoughts on Crystal

1) Good Defender (Interesting since a lot of people view her as a defensive liability due to her size)
2) Can shoot the 3
3) Can run am offense
4) UConn players are basically plug and play
5) Good intel provided by Naphessa and a good comfort level with Pheesa
6) Good value as a #16 pick

Love that plug and play.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned in another thread that the Dallas first practice will look like a USA tryout. (Ignoring practice player signings). What I wanted to point out is the Liberty situation is very much the same. Stay tuned for potential future activities. Question. Will the Samuelson sisters make the final roster? KLS did not have a robust "career" at Chicago. Reported that the match was not good for her. Also, injuries hampered her growth. So... I think of both of them as rookies looking to earn roster spots at Dallas. Could be very tough for Karlie.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I would bet that Ty harris would gladly change draft position with CD. Imagine going to play point guard on a tem with Bria, DT and Skylar Compared to Going to Minny which is looking for a point to run their show. In Crystal's spot I would gladly change a first round slot for the chance to go to the Lynx. Cheryl Reeve is a genius at working the draft. I may have to invest in some Lynx gear

I think Ty likes her spot. Ty Harris was drafted by Dallas, not Phoenix.

Dallas was expected to pick Ty at #5, but they gambled and picked Alarie. MN had its chance to get Ty at #6 but chose her teammate.

Ultimately, I think Dallas got the point guard they wanted and so did MN.

Reaction Score
Pivec actually shot very well for a guard again from the field this season with a field goal percentage above 50%, mostly on mid-range jumpers and drives into the paint. I believe that she was 5th in the PAC-12 in field goal percentage. She shot 36% from distance, but only took a total of 62 attempts in her 32 games. In '18-'19, Pivec shot nearly 53% from the field and 42% from distance. She typically has not taken a lot of three-pointers, averaging less than two attempts from beyond the arc in '19-'20.

I agree that the cancellation of the NCAA tourney didn't help her draft prospects, but her unusual stat line of 14.8/9.3/4.5 and proven ability to pull out wins for her team with clutch shots over the past two seasons made her delayed selection yesterday a bit of a surprise to me. Not one mock draft had her going lower than 23 and two mock drafts released during the past week had her going as high as 10 and 11.

Mompremier falling to 20, Gillespie to 32, and Cooper to 18 appeared to be the other surprising drops of the draft.
It wasn't her shooting that dropped her draft cred, but other aspects of her play. When she was a sophomore and playing the point for the first time she had a lot of issues pertaining to decision making. At the end of that season, she began to play really well and that improved PG play was one reason for Oregon St's success in the NCAA's. She played well all of last season and that contributed to her high shooting percentages and other stats increase. This season she seemed to regress and gradually began to revert to some of her sophomore bad habits. Both her shooting percentages dropped. Especially her 3pt percentage and that is of great interest to the WNBA. I felt that her lowered 3pt percentages were affected by both her and Slocum's combined style of ball dominate play. Note I said they dominated the ball more, not shot the ball more- that is key.

I think that Geno in his Sabally breakdown articulates how a person's off the ball play along with making timely passes can influence an offense with respect to ball movement He also stated that many players know how to make plays, they just often do not know when to make them. I believe Pivec knows when to make plays. She just has not done so long enough for it to be second nature and can easily under certain conditions fall back into old habits. Coaches and other knowledgable basketball people do not view players as fans but more along with the likes of what Geno displayed in his video breakdown. Stats are secondary to how those stats are acquired.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom