Wimbledon... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Wimbledon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
A few years back Roger was asked, if he had an appreciation for any woman player. Apparently he watched enough WTA matches to answer, "I like Kuznetzova's game." Svet is at a higher level this year than in previous years. She is only 3-9 vs. Serena. We'll see.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Sam is through to the quarters. Poor Madison was hobbled and lost in 3.
Serena about to start, after Roger took care of Steve in straight sets.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The Sisters are through to the quarters, both in straight sets. Venus hasn't been to this stage since 2000. She must be pleased that her fight vs. Sjogrens Syndrome is going well.
Venus' next opponent (Both Sisters play again tomorrow) is a rarity for a Q-final, a Kazakh ranked #96.

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Correction Venus was last in the Quarters in 2010, not 2000.
Tomorrow on centre court is Halep vs. Kerber; Serena to follow.
Venus leads on court 1 vs, Shvedova, followed by Cibulkova vs. Vesnina.
9am.
Men wait until Wednesday. Roger and Andy can't meet until the final.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I continued to be amazed over this woman, who is now through to the semis for the 1st time in 6 years, and in straight sets.
And I get to effuse for an audience that especially exults in great female athletes.
It's like Sue and Swin, her age mates, taking over a game with double-doubles.
And speaking of doubles, the Sisters are just taking the court now on ESPN 2.
They should be in a good mood, for Lil Sis won earlier too..
Their Czech opponents are tough, having beat our girls in the past.

Reaction Score
The Sisters are through to the quarters, both in straight sets. Venus hasn't been to this stage since 2000. She must be pleased that her fight vs. Sjogrens Syndrome is going well.
Venus' next opponent (Both Sisters play again tomorrow) is a rarity for a Q-final, a Kazakh ranked #96.
Venus won in 2007 and 2008, and I believe she made the qtrs. in 2009

Reaction Score
Venus won in 2007 and 2008, and I believe she made the qtrs. in 2009

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Our own Sam has just taken the 3rd set from the Canadian, after dropping the first 2.
Meanwhile Roger is up 2-1 over Marin, and they are on serve in the 4th.
ESPN AND ESPN2

Reaction Score
Our own Sam has just taken the 3rd set from the Canadian, after dropping the first 2.
Meanwhile Roger is up 2-1 over Marin, and they are on serve in the 4th.
ESPN AND ESPN2

Actually Cilic is up 2-1.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And Roger pulls it out with a late break.
What a great match. This would seem to be Roger's best chance to win another major. Great run by Cilic - I wonder how much his ranking will rise after this (if at all). He's currently #13, but most of the guys ranked ahead of him went fairly far in the tourney as well (with the exception of Nadal, whose ranking should probably drop to 8 or 10 unless he had very few Wimbledon points to defend)...

Reaction Score
What a classic comeback by Roger. Great match. Federer is in for a very tough semi's. Raonic has been playing great. Hoping Fed can pull it off to setup a final with Murray. That would be fantastic.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
For tomorrow, Serena is up first at 8am, then Venus follows, both on Centre Court, so rain won't be a problem. Later the Sisters have their next doubles round.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Serena' opponent Elena Vesnina is an unranked 29 year old Russian who has gone up vs. the champ 4 times and has come away without taking a set.
Of course, if she has earned the semis (and she did so as a 6-2, 6-2 victor over the red hot #19 Cibulkova), she's playin.g above her history.
It happens that she is part of a Russian pair that will go up against the Sisters later in the day. The Russians are ranked #3 in doubles and have been champions at 2 recent Majors. I'm guessing her strategy will be to grab the net often, though that's difficult vs. Serena.

Angelique Kerber is this year's Aussie winner, and obviously by making the semis is again in good form. She's #4 here and had a tough match vs. #5 Simona Halep. Kerber has a 3-2 lifetime advantage over Venus, including the 2012 Olympics on grass. Our hope for Venus is that Kerber's victories have come this decade, while Venus' auto-immune response was in early times. This is her first semi since 2009, so she is perhaps at the peak of her mastery of this disease. It should be a close one.

I myself will be on the court during Serena's match, and I will be relying on fellow players to use their smartphones to let me know when it's time to rush home to see Venus.
I say this so that you readers take responsibility for reporting on Serena in my absence.

Reaction Score
Only Serena fans are happy with today's match. One expects a grand slam semifinal to be a tad more competitive. The doubles match was exciting.

Reaction Score
Only Serena fans are happy with today's match. One expects a grand slam semifinal to be a tad more competitive. The doubles match was exciting.
Are you a Serena fan? I'll take a UCONN blowout any day of the week, especially in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Are you a Serena fan? I'll take a UCONN blowout any day of the week, especially in the tournament.

Yes, definitely a fan of Serena and Venus the torchbearers of American tennis. A blowout is certainly easier on the nerves, but it is always nice to see a champion overcome challenges, adversity, a formidable opponent.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
We may get little of the Sisters doubles semi, as it is opposite the men's singles semi.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just can't stand Fowler on tennis. I have to use mute.

Reaction Score
Just saw Tsonga vs Murray; Great tennis, great shotmaking, steely determination from both competitors.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So happy for Milos, but sad for Roger. I think this was his last chance to win another major. for the immediate future he'll be in the top 3-5, but he's pretty much done. I wonder when he retires - I would think he would want to do it long before he starts sliding out of the top 10, but you never know...

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Serena & Angelique start at 9 this am. Then comes the men's doubles final (no Bryan Bros.).
The Sisters follow vs. a Hungarian-Kazakh combo.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Serena Williams beats Angelique Kerber in final, gets milestone win
Women-superJumbo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics