Wimbledon... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Wimbledon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I don't have an issue with anything you've said except that I don't know what that has to do with my point.

The change was not really a surprise. You can read the history of what actually happened in http://www.itftennis.com/media/231178/231178.pdf which details the Sharapova case. Section 33+ talks about the steps that they went through prior to placing it on the list. The drug was placed on the monitoring program in 2015, which should have been something that raised a flag for anyone who was taking it.

There is a lot of other interesting data about the case, such as:

"The underlying factual puzzle in this case is how an elite player in the position of Ms Sharapova, with the assistance of a professional team including the very best sporting and medical advice obtainable, could ever have placed herself in the position of taking a Prohibited Substance, as is admitted, before each of the five matches she played at the Australian Open. "

While there is no evidence that Sharapova was trying to cheat, and it very likely was a mistake that she continued to take it after the ban went into effect, there is certainly plenty of evidence that makes you wonder why she was taking it at all - and why so few of her team were aware of it when they were aware of all the other things she was taking.

Interesting case in the bizarre world of athletes and performance enhancing substances.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The 3 above-named contestants on center court made it through, but otherwise the day was a near washout. Players, like Donald Young and John Isner have yet to complete a 1st round match. The weather is predicted better today, and the center court-TV-likely matches include Kei Nishikori, Andy Murray and Canada's Bouchard.
Venus and Sloane are on outer courts, Venus second scheduled and Sloane 4th scheduled. The Sisters are playing doubles also, that late in the W day. Our Coco is also late in the day. Happy viewing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The change was not really a surprise. You can read the history of what actually happened in http://www.itftennis.com/media/231178/231178.pdf which details the Sharapova case. Section 33+ talks about the steps that they went through prior to placing it on the list. The drug was placed on the monitoring program in 2015, which should have been something that raised a flag for anyone who was taking it.

There is a lot of other interesting data about the case, such as:

"The underlying factual puzzle in this case is how an elite player in the position of Ms Sharapova, with the assistance of a professional team including the very best sporting and medical advice obtainable, could ever have placed herself in the position of taking a Prohibited Substance, as is admitted, before each of the five matches she played at the Australian Open. "

While there is no evidence that Sharapova was trying to cheat, and it very likely was a mistake that she continued to take it after the ban went into effect, there is certainly plenty of evidence that makes you wonder why she was taking it at all - and why so few of her team were aware of it when they were aware of all the other things she was taking.

Interesting case in the bizarre world of athletes and performance enhancing substances.
My point had nothing to do with whether or not Sharapova took a substance after it was banned. If substance X was banned on Jan 1 and Maria took it on or after Jan. 1 she should suffer the consequences. Period. However, if she (or anyone took the substance on Dec. 31, she should suffer no consequences. Period. Testing is simply a mechanism to determine whether a player is cheating. If the test isn't sufficiently precise to determine whether or not substance X was taken before or after the ban date, said test is invalid for the purpose of determining whether a player has violated a ban.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
My point had nothing to do with whether or not Sharapova took a substance after it was banned. If substance X was banned on Jan 1 and Maria took it on or after Jan. 1 she should suffer the consequences. Period. However, if she (or anyone took the substance on Dec. 31, she should suffer no consequences. Period. Testing is simply a mechanism to determine whether a player is cheating. If the test isn't sufficiently precise to determine whether or not substance X was taken before or after the ban date, said test is invalid for the purpose of determining whether a player has violated a ban.

I'm not sure of the exact wording of the rule, but if it says that testing for this substance will start on Jan 1st, then it really doesn't matter when the athlete took the drug.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure of the exact wording of the rule, but if it says that testing for this substance will start on Jan 1st, then it really doesn't matter when the athlete took the drug.
"Notice: Beginning January 1, parking on Elm Street Tuesdays and Thursdays is prohibited. The city will use surveillance cameras to identify and ticket illegally parked cars beginning December 15."

I don't care how the substance regulation was worded the notion of punishing someone for legal behavior is offensive and wrong. I'm not even saying the governing body can't do what they did. All I'm saying is that if the Sharapova took the substance during a time when the substance was legal, the governing body has no business employing monitoring methods incapable of discerning that.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
As I write Stan Wawrinka has begun a duel with one-time US Open champ Juan del Potro. Following will be Serena, also on centre
court. That court will finish with Roger's match.
Many upsets yesterday, as a great deal of make-up games occurred. Biggest is #2 Garbine going down.
On court #1, Venus goes vs. a seeded(#29) foe and is likely to get much TV time over the Wawrinka match. She'll be followed by Novak. American Jock Sack will be given prominent space, completing court #1, vs. #6 Milos Raonic.
Other Americans in action include Isner, Keys, Sloane, Steve Johnson & Donald Young.
Go ahead; be a couch potato.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Venus... match point, ummm rain delay! Serena struggling but tied AR 4 in the 1st

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Thus is the stuff of motion pictures. Venus in her 19th year as a pro. Her opponent Daria Kasatkina of Russia is in
her 19th year of...life. Geezer vs. New kid on the block.
So they try to warm up, oops, no good, rain. Then with clearer skies, they begin. Venus races to 5-1. Uh oh, rain & a 20 minute delay.
A new Venus emerges to drop the next 4 games. But she recovers enough to win 6-4.
Still, recovery is temporary and another rain delay in the 2nd. Venus is at the wrong end of 6-4.
The 3rd features 6 games without a service break, Then Venus loses serve. But then Daria gives it back. Same scenario follows, as Venus responds with back vs. the wall, and it is 6-6.
No tiebreaker in the deciding set. Venus goes up on her serve. Daria is now at 30-40 with Ms. Williams chomping at the bit. They line up for the break point, and ...deluge. Yup, chased off the court. We don't yet know the outcome, just like when the projector breaks down.

As I write you can see Serena vs, American Christina McHale in the domed centre court.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The Sisters are through to round 4, each in 3 sets. Both a bit shakey though.

Reaction Score
No tiebreaker in the deciding set. Venus goes up on her serve. Daria is now at 30-40 with Ms. Williams chomping at the bit. They line up for the break point, and ...deluge. Yup, chased off the court. We don't yet know the outcome, just like when the projector breaks down.

The look on Venus's face at that point...

Reaction Score
Looks like they're going to be playing on "Middle Sunday" for only the 4th time. Normally the day is a no-tennis day (supposedly to give the grass a rest). The schedule is quite messed up, though, so no choice. Still some second round matches to be played on Saturday... (SMH, as DaddyChoc would put it :D ).

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Late Friday the rains resumed, just in time for Novak to contemplate losing to American Sam Querry, 2-0 in sets so far,
including posting only 1 game in set#2. Querry has been around several years, but doesn't ever get to the 2nd week.
Novak is Novak and can certainly come out firing Saturday to take 3 sets. Still, we have time now to muse about why no
one has completed a Grand Slam (in one calendar year) since 1969.
They resume on court 1 an hour earlier than usual, 7am UConn time.

Center court begins with Simon Halep:s match, then Andy Murray, then our own Jack Sock vs. 6th ranked Milos Raonic.
This is the series that will withstand rain, within a closed roof.

Back to court one, following Novak will be Madison Keys.

Elsewere late in the day will be John Isner vs. Jo-Willy Tsonga, with the latter favored.

Sloanes's in a 6am to-be-finished- match that in the middle of the 3rd set is as tied as it can be.

On court 18, American Steve Johnson is early in a discontinued contest. Whenever he's done, The Sisters come aboard there for their 2nd round doubles. Neither has a singles match today.

Get comfy with coffee in hand.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
"Notice: Beginning January 1, parking on Elm Street Tuesdays and Thursdays is prohibited. The city will use surveillance cameras to identify and ticket illegally parked cars beginning December 15."

I don't care how the substance regulation was worded the notion of punishing someone for legal behavior is offensive and wrong. I'm not even saying the governing body can't do what they did. All I'm saying is that if the Sharapova took the substance during a time when the substance was legal, the governing body has no business employing monitoring methods incapable of discerning that.

OK - so I'm not sure what your issue is any more. If you read the info that was linked, you will see that Sharapova tested positive and admitted to taking the drug prior to matches at the Australian open on various dates in January. I don't really see this going anywhere - so I'll let the thread go back to Wimbledon updates.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just wow - Sam Querry with arguable the biggest win of his life, and one of the bigger wins in Wimbledon history - takes out Novak Djokavic in 4 sets. Good for Sam! He looked great - especially in the 2nd set. Novak was clearly out of sorts, but the 4th set was really well fought. Congrats to Sam!!!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
What's intriguing is Sam's next match, following giant-killing.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
So, it's make-up day , with several unfinished and 3rd round matches to play.
Yesterday the Sisters got through their 2nd round doubles, 6-4, 6-4.
Younger Sis must still take care of round 3 today.
She's in the 2nd duet on centre court following Coco's match. The early start is 6:30, EST.
Sloane is also a 6;30 start, bumping up with a revised Svet Kuznetzova on court 1.
About the same time as Serena, John Isner, up 2-1 vs. Jo Willy, must finish.
Another 6:30 start is American Julia Boserup.
On the same court, then comes Juan del Potro, that Wawrinka-conqueror,
down 1 set to 2 to a Frenchman.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Isner and Jo (aka Ali) was a good match until it was called... big serves, wow!

Reaction Score
To you point she took it twice after it was on the ban list, during the Aussie Open and during the FED Cup tie a month later.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
any tennis on the tube right now? cant find anything

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Two American men & 4 ladies have earned the round of 16.
For knocking off Novak Sam gets Nick Mahut. Steve Johnson's reward is dicier. Roger on centre court.
Following that one, Serena takes on wily Kuznetzava.
Andy Murray will then close center court.
Madison Keys gets the program underway on court #1 vs. Simona Halep
Venus follows.

The last 2 are consigned to Court 18, Coco, followed by Sam.

Early starts continue, 6:30 am.

At least have your orange juice.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
ummmm anything on the "tube"... if so which channel please

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What a day. So happy for Querry over Novak, but Sloan completely choked - up 5-2 in the 3rd set,, and then played totally conservative tennis. Almost every ball seemed to be hit right back up the middle - waiting for Svetlana to make the error, and she did not for the most part. Even Sloan's approach shots were nowhere near the corners. I'm not sure if she's just stubborn, or if her coach is incompetent, but if it's so simple for even us casual fans to see, maybe it's something Sloane, a professional tennis player, ought to address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom